Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

They set up some poor nurse posted:

The N.H.S. has a totemic status in the British psyche—it’s the “closest thing the English have to a religion,” as one politician has put it. One of the last remnants of the postwar social contract, it inspires loyalty and awe even as it has increasingly broken down, partly as a result of years of underfunding. In 2015, the infant-mortality rate in England and Wales rose for the first time in a century. A survey found that two-thirds of the country’s neonatal units did not have enough medical and nursing staff. That year, the Countess treated more babies than it had in previous years, and they had, on average, lower birth weights and more complex medical needs. Letby, who lived in staff housing on the hospital grounds, was twenty-five years old and had just finished a six-month course to become qualified in neonatal intensive care. She was one of only two junior nurses on the unit with that training. “We had massive staffing issues, where people were coming in and doing extra shifts,” a senior nurse on the unit said. “It was mainly Lucy that did a lot.” She was young, single, and saving to buy a house. That year, when a friend suggested that she take some time off, Letby texted her, “Work is always my priority.”

Did they make one woman the sin eater for the entire loving NHS? (and at 33 too?)

"The closest thing the English have to a religion" jfc...

e: does "Letby, who lived in staff housing on the hospital grounds..." mean that British hospitals have barracks?

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 12:21 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It doesn't usually but this is an old hospital so might have had them from back then and it woukd have meant she could save money instead of it all going to a landlord

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Kinda? There's often affordable housing on or near hospital grounds, usually shared flats. Rent is usually somewhere between 'somewhat' and 'extremely' affordable compared to the local area, which is obviously a godsend in London (especially on nurses' salaries, which are pitiful)

My SIL is a nurse and lived in hospital accommodation for a few years, worked out very well for her

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
As long as they're nice and affordable, I can see how that's a good thing, I'm just surprised that post-Thatcher Britain has socialized housing for public servants like that.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

genericnick posted:

Can the mediator assign penalties or is this a mandatory step before the employment contract can be annulled? Not sure that part is really a labor disciplining measure.

I don’t actually understand Belgian industrial relations law, so it really depends what their penalties are for breach of contract in this kind of situation.

It would be really interesting to know what kind of laws they have re: sexual assault and whether/what kind of coercion would be considered a breach of those laws.

Threatening someone with unemployment if they don’t deliver sex would of course be illegal in most places, but how does that work when delivering sex is the job itself?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
All I can say is forcing the pimp to appoint a mediator before even considering to terminate the contract is already an improvement over the situation for all the other employees in the country

e: I see a lot of conservative news outlets are sharing these controversial headlines without developing what it's all about (giving a legal status and protection to sex workers) so I'm guessing this law is probably a good thing

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 13:19 on May 14, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it seems like that nurse didn't do anything except have a weird diary which, whom amongst us

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

All I can say is forcing the pimp to appoint a mediator before even considering to terminate the contract is already an improvement over the situation for all the other employees in the country

for sure

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

As long as they're nice and affordable, I can see how that's a good thing, I'm just surprised that post-Thatcher Britain has socialized housing for public servants like that.

Oh don't worry I'm sure they'll get round to dismantling them soon enough

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

e: I see a lot of conservative news outlets are sharing these controversial headlines without developing what it's all about (giving a legal status and protection to sex workers) so I'm guessing this law is probably a good thing

Generally speaking, when swerfs are against something, that something is good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Marenghi posted:

Quick aside about the Magdalene laundries. Declaring a woman fallen and throwing them into state sanctioned work houses was how Irish politicians of the day would deal with their young mistresses when they got pregnant. Baby sold to wealthy American couples and the girls put into workhouses.

Its why the modern Irish government sealed the records because they didn't want their fathers and grandfathers affairs becoming public knowledge. Irish politics is very insular and the leading politicians of today come from political dynasties.

Sinead O'Conor was right.

Endman
May 18, 2010

swerf is too cool sounding a word to represent such a bad opinion

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gently caress
you for this long quote

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Conservatives who oppose legal protections for sex workers aren't swerfs; they're just misogynists.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

why are you getting your news from terf sites?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

this, yeah. the articles ignore the positives, but they also misrepresent the part they frame as negative. if the worker uses those specific rights to refuse sexual acts ten times, their employer can call in a government mediator - but so can the sex worker themselves. this isn't a government agent coming in to tell you to gently caress more, this is them coming to check what's going on and mediating if necessary. this is much more of a threat to the pimps than to the sex workers, because it seems to include an inspection of working conditions, as well as a review of the worker-employer relationship. using those rights is a clear indication that something is amiss - either something is up with the working conditions in which case the government is now on the pimp's case or the sex worker is being coerced into doing sex work, in which case having a government agent show up to put a stop to it is the thing you want to happen.

the way this law - and legalisation of sex work earlier - is framed, this sounds more like an option the sex worker would use rather than the pimp.

i've seen this type of thing happen a lot - foreign conservatives jumping on progressive laws here and misrepresenting them to their own audience. same happened with the euthanasia laws. gently caress off, anglos.

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

R. Mute posted:

i've seen this type of thing happen a lot - foreign conservatives jumping on progressive laws here and misrepresenting them to their own audience. same happened with the euthanasia laws. gently caress off, anglos.
Whatever you think is good that happens on the 10th refusal, should happen on the first. These women are being treated as sub-human and it's gross.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

why the gently caress are there pimps in the first place? in any legalization framework they serve no purpose

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Maed posted:

why the gently caress are there pimps in the first place? in any legalization framework they serve no purpose

the pimp should be a rotating role that everyone gets a chance to do

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Maed posted:

HR

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Maed posted:

Don't have to. Sex workers can be self employed too. But there is also a legal framework in case of a contract.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Maed posted:

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

https://x.com/JeremyJPatino_/status/1790757136949022759

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
woah

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Maed posted:

pimping is actually still illegal. the definition of pimping was clarified. someone who runs a brothel, for instance, would've been classified as a pimp under the pre-legalisation definition, but not anymore. the new definition also adds clear limitations on who can do this, adds a legal framework, responsibilities, etc.

Human.Frank posted:

Whatever you think is good that happens on the 10th refusal, should happen on the first. These women are being treated as sub-human and it's gross.
there's a requirement there has to be someone the sex workers can go to with any complaints, problems, issues, etc within every one of these businesses. so it's not like they have to wait until the tenth refusal to get outside intervention. every room within these brothels also needs to be equipped with a panic button that also directly alerts this person of any problem. and keep in mind that before these laws, these women had none of these protections.

or you could continue proving my point that dumb anglos love to form opinions about things they formed their entire opinion on by reading some site created by two right-wing youtubers

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Even if we assume that the royals are weird enough to encode satanic images in state paintings for Reasons, I'm :raise: on this one

This is my own quad-doubling of the official release of the full res image

This is the "bahomet" section of my rendering

This is the "bahomet" section of the initally constructed, flipped image from those tweets, then zoomed in. Basically looks same as my image, IMO.

This is the claimed "zoom in" of the "bahomet" section. This does not appear to me to be a straight zoom or zoom-enhance, I cannot replicate this result in Pixlr, and it would be very easy to have fun with photoshop here and assume most people won't check your work.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
No ring...

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Even if it were real, it would be much more likely to be a tongue-in-cheek political critique by the artist than something requested by the royals... presumably.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Hell is real

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

KORNOLOGY posted:

Hell is real

Yes, but enough about the biosphere

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Even if it were real, it would be much more likely to be a tongue-in-cheek political critique by the artist than something requested by the royals... presumably.

if the artist dies of an obscure shellfish infection we'll know it was a jab, which was then answered :colbert:

Where we're going, we won't need rings to spread 'em

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Cabbages and VHS posted:

Even if we assume that the royals are weird enough to encode satanic images in state paintings for Reasons, I'm :raise: on this one

This is my own quad-doubling of the official release of the full res image

This is the "bahomet" section of my rendering

This is the "bahomet" section of the initally constructed, flipped image from those tweets, then zoomed in. Basically looks same as my image, IMO.

This is the claimed "zoom in" of the "bahomet" section. This does not appear to me to be a straight zoom or zoom-enhance, I cannot replicate this result in Pixlr, and it would be very easy to have fun with photoshop here and assume most people won't check your work.
That's because the "zoomed in" one is the same image flipped but it merges the sides from the left instead of the right (left-hand path much??) see the cane

I was able to recreate it like that:

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

is that supposed to be epstein or king charles? lol

polycritical
Mar 7, 2024
It's supposed to be Gaap

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
the reason I know it’s a coincidence is that there’s now way the royal family is that cool

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
It already looks like the portrait of a demon anyway

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

That's because the "zoomed in" one is the same image flipped but it merges the sides from the left instead of the right (left-hand path much??) see the cane

I was able to recreate it like that:

I'm seeing double here, four demons!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cabbages and VHS posted:

They're burying the lead, this painting is all about Project MONARCH

Endman
May 18, 2010

Why would you need to hide a secret message; it's a portrait of the King. It's already evil!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Endman posted:

Why would you need to hide a secret message; it's a portrait of the King. It's already evil!

Yeah I don't really get the artist's "statement" with this if it was in fact intentional. "Hey everyone, the king is bad!" Oh wow, really? What a novel and groundbreaking point of view :nallears: