Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

I don't think HDMI 2.1 VRR is backwards compatible with AMDs custom Freesync-over-HDMI solution, so this could potentially get confusing.

TVs would have to implement each protocol separately and might end up only supporting one (most likely HDMI 2.1).

One can hope, but don't I expect TV vendors VRR side of things to be anything but a gigantic compatibility clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I hope all the rumors are wrong and Nvidia announces Volta architecture at GTC and launches the new GTX series the first week of May.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do you even make a console forward compatible with HDMI 2.1 like the Xboxes S+X? Do you just do what Sony did and increase the bandwidth capacity beyond the standard and then patch all the support in via firmware when they added HDR?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

How do you even make a console forward compatible with HDMI 2.1 like the Xboxes S+X? Do you just do what Sony did and increase the bandwidth capacity beyond the standard and then patch all the support in via firmware when they added HDR?

They never mentioned the Xbox S+X getting HDMI 2.1 support in that video, just "Freesync over HDMI" support.

I'm pretty sure they're still using HDMI 2.0 and delivering VRR using AMDs extension that was never part of the HDMI standard.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You also don't need to increase bandwidth to support FreeSync. You just cap it at 60Hz and call it a day, and use FreeSync to help out the sub-60FPS issue--which makes sense in that modern consoles still struggle to hit much above 30FPS on a regular basis in many games.

120Hz 4k is where you need the extra bandwidth that HDMI 2.1 provides. Anything short of that is doable with 2.0, and 1080p@144Hz is doable with 1.4b.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

You probably could solder on a DP jack somewhere and turn it into a back alley 1080ti gaming card

NO WARRANTY

I was going to say, christ I wish my hands were steady enough to solder SMD components and the like.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lockback posted:

It might get better in a few months? Otherwise try to get a used 980ti. That would be my advice.

Buttcoins are probably here to stay. Take a brief moment to understand the mindset that you are up against here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4v8rLEI4Pg

:v:

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Siets posted:

Buttcoins are probably here to stay. Take a brief moment to understand the mindset that you are up against here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4v8rLEI4Pg

:v:

I just hope that mining will become so unprofitable due to the difficulty of mining blocks, that people will stop "investing" in cards. I just want a gaming machine. :sadpeanut:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I was going to say, christ I wish my hands were steady enough to solder SMD components and the like.

Given the current premiums there will probably be people doing this.

This is the reverse cyberpunk future where people buy back-alley computing power designed for cryptography and lol dark web assassins and mod them for mundane consumer purposes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tormented posted:

I just hope that mining will become so unprofitable due to the difficulty of mining blocks, that people will stop "investing" in cards. I just want a gaming machine. :sadpeanut:

I want to think this will happen but part of me believes more alt coins tailored to newer GPU tech will continue to keep up demand.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tormented posted:

Keep in mind that yes, prices suck but for GPUs they are around what they were in late 2016. There are no real super amazing new games so you would be good. Only crap part is DDR4 prices really.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Soldering tiny SMD stuff isn't so bad if you have the right equipment, namely a heat gun, microscope, and fine tipped tweezers.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Soldering tiny SMD stuff isn't so bad if you have the right equipment, namely a heat gun, microscope, and fine tipped tweezers.

So about oh, thousand bux of gear. Easy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

Keep in mind that yes, prices suck but for GPUs they are around what they were in late 2016. There are no real super amazing new games so you would be good. Only crap part is DDR4 prices really.

i got a 1060 6gig for $200 in late 2016. no mail-ins, free shipping, not on black friday sale. cheapest right now on newegg is over $350, and thats come down a lot.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tormented posted:

Why you do, regardless of the price, is do casual mining (such as overnight or whatever) to offset the cost of the card.

Wouldn’t do it right now, right now you’re just paying a lot for scarcity and not for mining value.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Why you do, regardless of the price, is do casual mining (such as overnight or whatever) to offset the cost of the card.

Wouldn’t do it right now, right now you’re just paying a lot for scarcity and not for mining value.

I've seen the numbers in the mining thread, and they're not worth the time you'd have to spend to get real money at the end of it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, with average-ish electricity a 1060 is making $0.88 per day, hardly worth the wear and tear, and you have to factor in the power+wear of the rest of the box too.

Right now there's actual gouging, miners aren't buying and stock is filling back in, and retailers are still holding prices high in hopes that it'll bounce back and they can go back to selling cards at 50% over MSRP.

I still think NVIDIA's stock is abnormally low because they're stocking up for a launch here soon, stuff like that cryptominer broker who can source AMD cards pretty readily but is having trouble getting ahold of NVIDIA cards, and rumors of distributor backorders of high-end EVGA/MSI cards being cancelled with the justification that those products are EOL'd. But there are certainly plenty of rumors that disagree with that too, and some people think the shortages are caused by a complete unavailability of DRAM at any price (which sounds insane to me, but whatever) and insist that NVIDIA isn't launching until like Q4.

FWIW, GN commented in this week's update that they think the rumors earlier this year of DRAM prices gradually declining are wrong and prices will continue to climb, but more slowly than last year.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 14, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

redeyes posted:

So about oh, thousand bux of gear. Easy.

I don't use a microscope and use a 200 dollar hot air station. I very strongly advocate using cheap gear if you can get away with it. I'm (probably) the only electrical engineer with over a decade of experience that still uses Radio Shack soldering irons. I like actually living with cheap stuff not just telling other people to get it. Good gear can make it easier, but with practice you can get away with whatever cheap stuff you can afford. I have expensive TMDE because there's no real way to go cheap with that stuff and have it be just as good, but heat is heat and I've never felt limited by cheap soldering gear.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a 200 dollar hot air station and I can't really do anything with non leaded solder easily. Really have to cook the poo poo out of the board and yes I preheat. The microsocope that is decent costs like $550.. anyhow this is for someone that wants to do surface stuff regularly.

Moving on.

Gaming on my 49" Samsung quantum dot TV is giving me sea sickness from 3 feet away ;_;

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
That's why I always check DisplayLag.com when I plan to go ahead on a new TV.

And why I currently game on a monitor, whether it's PC or console.
It makes Mario 1 a Hell of a lot easier.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wulfolme posted:

I've seen the numbers in the mining thread, and they're not worth the time you'd have to spend to get real money at the end of it.

That's why there's the second line of the post saying in effect, "this advice is not valid at present". Mining incentives are pretty much dead, you're overpaying because the lines have all dried up, not because of red-hot demand.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Even if right this moment it doesn't really pay to mine, if you're one of those true believers, or even a dedicated speculator, it totally makes sense to keep mining as much as possible in the belief this is another dip that's totally just another stumble in the march to BC 100k. Same attitude as buying the dip.

Personally I hate pre-ordering anything as I believe it incentivises anti-consumer behavior and haven't bought a top of the line GPU at release since the 9700 Pro days but as soon as NVidia announces a next gen *80 card I'm hopping on it ASAP because I don't have a lot of faith this same poo poo won't keep happening until a world wide recession tanks crypto coins, or the manufacturers figure out a way to throttle mining performance, if that's possible.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 14, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

That's why I always check DisplayLag.com when I plan to go ahead on a new TV.

And why I currently game on a monitor, whether it's PC or console.
It makes Mario 1 a Hell of a lot easier.

I'm on a last gen Samsung 55" as my primary monitor and it's about ~18ms in gaming mode which probably beats most laptop screens I've used.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Elem7 posted:

Even if right this moment it doesn't really pay to mine, if you're one of those true believers, or even a dedicated speculator, it totally makes sense to keep mining as much as possible in the belief this is another dip that's totally just another stumble in the march to BC 100k. Same attitude as buying the dip.

Personally I hate pre-ordering anything as I believe it incentivises anti-consumer behavior and haven't bought a top of the line GPU at release since the 9700 Pro days but as soon as NVidia announces a next gen *80 card I'm hopping on it ASAP because I don't have a lot of faith this same poo poo won't keep happening until a world wide recession tanks crypto coins, or the manufacturers figure out a way to throttle mining performance, if that's possible.

Yes, but nobody is buying more video cards for mining, at least not in the scale of hundreds of thousands of cards that we should be seeing as stock over the span of 3 months. We're on a new generation and there are and have been reports of stopped production for that alone, AMD and Nvidia both point to ram publicly for everything else as a whole, and mining rates are very bad.

The truth of the matter is they need to make more cards and cant/wont/havent, however you want to think about it. Hoping for cryptocurrencies to outright fail (which is what would need to happen now) is more far fetched than Nvidia simply finding a way to get in production again ASAP.

Bitcoin's bubble popped and brought down everything with it two months ago. This is rarely said and seems to be virtually unknown as common knowledge for some reason, but it dropped 70% in value in 2 weeks. That is way way way beyond what qualifies a bubble popping. Thats when the mining values starting tanking of course, and its been getting worse ever since despite the bitcoin value clawing its way slowly up again. From my point of view there is nothing to support it outright failing anytime soon other than "I do not like this thing" and I wouldn't suggest anybody relying on that happening. The only boon to any of this is if mining value keeps dropping there will be a breaking point where the casuals start selling off everything, but dont be shocked when that doesnt affect new stock quantities at all.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Were they in stock when you posted.. I've seen these but have yet to see them in stock when I visit the site.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The MSI Gaming X 1080 (the good cooler) is actually in stock at Newegg and cheaper at $679 than I paid back in June 2016: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127943

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Enos Cabell posted:

The MSI Gaming X 1080 (the good cooler) is actually in stock at Newegg and cheaper at $679 than I paid back in June 2016: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814127943

Nope. Must be out, links to a $889 third part seller now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Palladium posted:

Fixed.

C2D E6300 1.86GHz @ 3GHz was the greatest OCer I ever had, which is a 63% overclock. I almost got twice the available CPU performance in CS:Source versus my old A64 3500+ bought only like a year before, and that made my jaw dropped.

Hell even more impressive were those Pentium E2160's which were 1.8Ghz stock, but overclocked to 3.6ghz without much fuss at all making them into almost $60 E6600's back in the day. I still have one of those lying around after the user upgraded to a Q6600 a little while after for some Adobe work.

I miss Overclocking Core2's. Those were fun times. I still love my Q9550 which runs a 1Ghz OC (2.84-3.84Ghz) with 1.2vcore. Hope that thing runs practically forever as a backup rig for Family.

I still love my X79 setup. The ebay Xeon E5-1660 I picked up for ~$120 is a fantastic chip. Overclocks to 4.6Ghz on nearly stock voltage where my old 3930K was starting to need pretty high bumps in voltage to remain stable. Hoping to still hold me through until Ryzen/Threadripper 2+ arrives maybe.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I bought an E6600 in the first week, and you guys are making me sad I didn’t try to OC it. On the other hand, most of its life was spent turned off because I abandoned it for an anemic Mac due to my disgust with where Microsoft was with Windows at the time. Vista was garbage, malware was so out of control that multiple third party scanners were necessary, and SH/SC was a bunch of unhappy posters with MS employee “Microsoft Spy” swearing up and down that the Windows team got the message and were a few years away from a decent OS.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Nope. Must be out, links to a $889 third part seller now.

It was in when I checked shortly after, so possibly a new world record.

Overall I agree with the sentiment that the demand side has died down on the mining front, but with so much pent-up demand for 'literally any gpu, please' on the gaming side and Nvidia's focus on other markets I can't see it getting much better until Volta/Turing/Watt trickles down to gamers. That might be a year from now.

Craptacular! posted:

“Microsoft Spy” swearing up and down that the Windows team got the message and were a few years away from a decent OS.

That's too bad it never materialized.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hell even more impressive were those Pentium E2160's which were 1.8Ghz stock, but overclocked to 3.6ghz without much fuss at all making them into almost $60 E6600's back in the day.
Yeah those 800mhz FSB core 2's made for some of the most value-for-money systems I've ever built. I had an E2200 sitting on pretty much the lowest end motherboard that would support it - very limited overclocking options - so I BSEL modded it (this involved bridging CPU pins to obtain a higher FSB strap) and got from 2.2ghz to 3. My brothers E4500 was on a better board and made the jump from 2.2ghz to 3.66 quite easily (and 10 years later is still in use with the same overclock).

My more recent experiences overclocking are similar to yours too - $70 6 core Xeon X5660 overclocked from 2.8ghz to 4.4, and my i7 3930k runs at 4.4 too. I haven't bothered looking for a xeon for the X79 because unlike X58 the multisocket enabled xeon's are clock-locked, which means making a jump in core count would involve the quite rare and expensive E5 1680 v2 (I think it only came in mac pro's - it doesn't show up with the other xeon's when you search on intel's site).

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

ItBurns posted:

That's too bad it never materialized.

C'mon, 7 was good. Vista was OK if you ran it on supported hardware at not-minimum specs.

e: what was the AMD proc you could buff by scribbling on it with a pencil? I had one of those back in the day.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Albinator posted:

e: what was the AMD proc you could buff by scribbling on it with a pencil? I had one of those back in the day.

tbirds and dirtrons baby!!

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RrTRuGc6mg

christ the video was made 17 years ago

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
That soundtrack still holds up!!!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Wirth1000 posted:

That soundtrack still holds up!!!

Lol straight out of the early 90s in an early 2000s video. I guess thats par for the course for a computer video in 2001 though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Presumably they shut down the fabs to be retooled for the new chips and their demand predictions for the interim period were off due to coiners so inventory dried up.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
How long does it take to retool fabs? I want to play lone echo.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

celewign posted:

How long does it take to retool fabs? I want to play lone echo.

nvida will be 2H of this year with new product, and AMD probably some time in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Tormented posted:

So I been wanting to build a new computer for a couple months now, I'm I screwed now with the GPUs price hike?

I started buying parts for a nice build before I realized the gpu market was hosed. I just went ahead with the build and picked up a used 970 for a couple hundred bucks.