Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Anton Chigurh posted:

:lol:

Add a few expletives and I think he'd say exactly that.

I'm all for Right-to-Repair and I think Louis Rossman is fighting the good fight, but he sure has a real Brooklyn-level potty mouth.

He’d also say something about how “politics is stupid” and “BOTH SIDES are equally bad. I DON’T loving CARE ABOUT YOUR POLITICAL ARGUMENT I JUST WANT TO HELP BUSINESSES AND CONSUMERS”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

He’d also say something about how “politics is stupid” and “BOTH SIDES are equally bad. I DON’T loving CARE ABOUT YOUR POLITICAL ARGUMENT I JUST WANT TO HELP BUSINESSES AND CONSUMERS”

Except that it is literally true in US politics that both parties only have the interests of business and capital at heart as bedrock policy issues. Both sidesing is wrong and unequivocal except in right to repair make corporations more money at any cost.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'll abide a notch if the screen is 16:10 or even taller. That'd be great. (I do think a notch is unnecessary complexity though, who cares about the bezels on a laptop just put the camera above the screen.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Won't fullscreen movies/videos look weird with a notch?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
still convinced it’ll be blacked out if you want and then people will bitch about not getting ~~~my full resolution~~~

anyway any notch in a laptop is going to be so small relative to screen area who gives a gently caress

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

El Mero Mero posted:

Won't fullscreen movies/videos look weird with a notch?

If the screen is 16:10 or taller then it won't matter.

In a world where we had nosecam for several years, a laptop notch doesn't seem inconceivable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ok the latest tibdbit is that the new chips will be named "M1 Pro" or "M1 Max."

I kinda doubt they'd stick with M1X because they tend to use that last alphabet character for iOS devices..

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I haven’t been following anything Mac, are there any rumors for the Air series tomorrow or just pros?

I’m debating either getting a magic keyboard for my 11” iPad Pro or trading it on a MacBook Air. I like the portability, touchscreen and Apple Pencil but I want a keyboard, touchpad, more ports and maybe even a proper operating system for music recording and storage.

I’m sure a bunch of you have weighed iPad Pro/keyboard vs MacBook and I’d love some insight into what you ended up with and why. Bonus points if any of you use a DAW or GarageBand and can vouch for the Air M1’s capabilities with them. Thanks in advance for any help!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

I haven’t been following anything Mac, are there any rumors for the Air series tomorrow or just pros?

I’m debating either getting a magic keyboard for my 11” iPad Pro or trading it on a MacBook Air. I like the portability, touchscreen and Apple Pencil but I want a keyboard, touchpad, more ports and maybe even a proper operating system for music recording and storage.

I’m sure a bunch of you have weighed iPad Pro/keyboard vs MacBook and I’d love some insight into what you ended up with and why. Bonus points if any of you use a DAW or GarageBand and can vouch for the Air M1’s capabilities with them. Thanks in advance for any help!

If you need the functionality of both, get both. I don’t mean that to be callous or dismissive, or to come off as an Apple Fanboy or whatever, Apple has very clearly laid out their product stack precisely to drive people to that end.

Maybe for you that means iPad Pro + Mac Mini for music DAW work, or MacBook Air + iPad Air, or iMac + iPad Mini, MacBook Pro + base model iPad, etc.

It’s up to you as to whether you can make the single device life work, but you’re never going to get a “perfect synthesis” of what the iPad does and what the Mac does because Apple designs them that way in order to encourage users to have both.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Except that it is literally true in US politics that both parties only have the interests of business and capital at heart as bedrock policy issues. Both sidesing is wrong and unequivocal except in right to repair make corporations more money at any cost.

I mean, yeah, obviously both parties just have the interests of Capital at heart, but also I don’t need yet another loudmouthed self-styled libertarian telling me how stuff like LGBTQ rights is “just meaningless partisan bullshit that doesn’t matter and I don’t care and you’re never gonna work it out” and his pet cause is the only thing that matters

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you need the functionality of both, get both. I don’t mean that to be callous or dismissive, or to come off as an Apple Fanboy or whatever, Apple has very clearly laid out their product stack precisely to drive people to that end.

Maybe for you that means iPad Pro + Mac Mini for music DAW work, or MacBook Air + iPad Air, or iMac + iPad Mini, MacBook Pro + base model iPad, etc.

It’s up to you as to whether you can make the single device life work, but you’re never going to get a “perfect synthesis” of what the iPad does and what the Mac does because Apple designs them that way in order to encourage users to have both.

There’s a reason why ten years and countless competitors later they’re still saying “touchscreen laptop? Pff whatever”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Went to an Apple store down the road on a whim to try the MacBook Air out and I loved it. I happened to have my old phone still and got about half the price of it covered with the trade so I pulled the trigger. They also said I could return it within 2 weeks if they do end up updating the Air tomorrow.

I will probably keep my iPad with the pencil and just upgrade less often now that it isn’t my primary workhorse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

There’s a reason why ten years and countless competitors later they’re still saying “touchscreen laptop? Pff whatever”

I’m not saying that Apple’s necessarily right or wrong here (they could definitely stand to make iPad OS more desktop-like and also more capable and they choose not to), or that the consumer’s right or wrong for wanting one device.

I guess I just really don’t have a good answer for somebody who’s asking “iOS/iPad OS or Mac OS?” in 2021. Like at this point, and if you’re asking about working with DAWs and doing file transfer poo poo and whatnot, you should be familiar enough with the limitations/capabilities of a mobile OS vs a desktop OS to decide which one does/does not cover your needs and how.

And if your answer is “well....both?” then I’m gonna give you the same answer that Apple would give you.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

Went to an Apple store down the road on a whim to try the MacBook Air out and I loved it. I happened to have my old phone still and got about half the price of it covered with the trade so I pulled the trigger. They also said I could return it within 2 weeks if they do end up updating the Air tomorrow.

I will probably keep my iPad with the pencil and just upgrade less often now that it isn’t my primary workhorse.

Giving you a preemptive "thank you for your service" because for sure now Apple will be announcing new Air's tomorrow.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You’re welcome! Plan is to return it if they do and just keep it if the event sticks to Pros.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

You’re welcome! Plan is to return it if they do and just keep it if the event sticks to Pros.

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1449803722452717569?s=20

Who knows but I might be getting a green Air at some point.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

~Coxy posted:

If the screen is 16:10 or taller then it won't matter.

Some relevant non-rumor information: People who data mine macOS Monterey betas noticed that one of the recent releases added two new display resolutions, 3456x2234 and 3024x1964. These are both exactly 74 pixels taller than 16:10. If you assume ~250ppi they work out to about 16.4" and 14.4" diagonal, and the 74 rows are about 0.3" tall.

These numbers all fit well with the assumption that Apple wanted to add a notch without compromising the traditional fully usable 16:10 display area.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm enormously curious to know what would be the effect of a notch on the top menu bar. As I see it, the options are either they do what iPhones did and just kind of extend some dead space on either side of it and shove a few symbols up there so it's not completely useless outside of fullscreen mode, or they try and futz the top menu around it so there's just this spacer in the middle and the stuff in the menu bar falls around it wherever it may. I don't think the former would look very good - the iPhone only barely gets away with it because the display area is left with ears around the notch so it kiiiiinda makes sense to put only a few static things up there, but the latter would kinda wreak havok with a lot of apps. I think maybe if the notch was vertically small enough they could get away with elongating the top menu bar a little so stuff could run under it? Maybe? Or maybe they'll move the right-hand symbols around entirely, and dedicate the entire menu bar to menus and put the symbols in the ears? That could kind of work, maybe?

I dunno. I still think there's no notch scenario worth the trouble, but when has that ever stopped Apple before.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fedule posted:

I'm enormously curious to know what would be the effect of a notch on the top menu bar. As I see it, the options are either they do what iPhones did and just kind of extend some dead space on either side of it and shove a few symbols up there so it's not completely useless outside of fullscreen mode, or they try and futz the top menu around it so there's just this spacer in the middle and the stuff in the menu bar falls around it wherever it may. I don't think the former would look very good - the iPhone only barely gets away with it because the display area is left with ears around the notch so it kiiiiinda makes sense to put only a few static things up there, but the latter would kinda wreak havok with a lot of apps. I think maybe if the notch was vertically small enough they could get away with elongating the top menu bar a little so stuff could run under it? Maybe? Or maybe they'll move the right-hand symbols around entirely, and dedicate the entire menu bar to menus and put the symbols in the ears? That could kind of work, maybe?

I dunno. I still think there's no notch scenario worth the trouble, but when has that ever stopped Apple before.

regardless of what Apple does we can all agree that the Macrumors forums are one of the stupidest places on the internet.

Like lmao people don’t know how to do basic geometry addition. Got so many “pro photographers” complaining about “Apple taking away screen real estate”

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

So do they have hardware in stores for tomorrow?

I cannot wait to throw my touchbar machine away.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

magiccarpet posted:

So do they have hardware in stores for tomorrow?

I cannot wait to throw my touchbar machine away.

Usually it’s reveal, preorder the following Friday, then release the Friday after that.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if they get a faceid array in that notch it'll be cool.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

anothergod posted:

I know you made up that number but you could get 4 external 2TB SSDs for $400.
No you can't. Talk about making numbers up lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I think I’ll buy an M1 iPad Pro if they ever open up that OS a little because the value is just so good.
This will never happen. Get a MacBook.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I already have an M1 Mac Mini but I'll update to the new one immediately if Apple just fix the infuriating USB-c to DisplayPort fuckery.

I have to unplug the cable and plug it in again after turning on the Mini for it to recognise my LG 38GL950G.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

akadajet posted:

I’d really hope that’s the plan

coke
Jul 12, 2009
reminder

coke posted:

you probably want the 'dated' look before they start slimming down the case and put in a tiny battery eg. cutting the 20+ hour battery life air to 10 hours

maybe grab one of the older ones if you want ridiculous battery life from the old chassis before they transition and normalize the shorter battery life

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only down with the notch if that area is black 99% of the time and it only show system security stuff like the camera being on, touch id messages and maybe 2fa codes.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh god what if they just put Touch Bar stuff up there and let you just click on it. The most cursed possible outcome.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Fedule posted:

Oh god what if they just put Touch Bar stuff up there and let you just click on it. The most cursed possible outcome.

Now I'm getting genuinely scared about the Apple Event.

Instead of watching it I'm staying in bed and hiding under the covers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I need that Mini

Apple give me the Mini!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

akadajet posted:

I had a dream last night that it was going to be this, also the notch is going to be ¬ shaped in the top-right corner of the screen.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Fedule posted:

It's still a touch screen, but only the 74 pixels at the top.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rollie Fingers posted:

I already have an M1 Mac Mini but I'll update to the new one immediately if Apple just fix the infuriating USB-c to DisplayPort fuckery.

I have to unplug the cable and plug it in again after turning on the Mini for it to recognise my LG 38GL950G.

There have been reports of various M1 external display related bugs getting fixed by macOS Monterey betas, so give that a whirl when it's released.

Hector Martin (the lead of the team porting Linux to M1) has found several things indicating Apple's launch schedule caused them to ship macOS for Apple Silicon in a partially completed state. That's what Apple has been doing for years; the rigid one-release-per-year schedule means they have to just cut features, triage bugs, and ship what they can to make the target date.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’ve had nothing but display problems with my mini. It’s actually pulled me away from multi displays and into a single large high-res display and an iPad. It felt weird to remove a screen, but at least with a single USB-C monitor I’m not dealing with weird flickering and screens not being recognized half the time.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I never think about the camera hole on my Pixel4a

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

Hector Martin (the lead of the team porting Linux to M1) has found several things indicating Apple's launch schedule caused them to ship macOS for Apple Silicon in a partially completed state.

At least he has a sense of humor about it..

https://twitter.com/AsahiLinux/status/1448160404497072128

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I need that Mini

Apple give me the Mini!

Preach it brother. So waiting for an M1 <whatever> Mini Pro Max Ultimate McFuck. May have to sell an iKidney to get one. 🤷‍♂️👍🏻

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MarcusSA posted:

I’d really hope that’s the plan

Probably in a year or two, but at least per the rumors, it doesn't seem to be for tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As if on cue my MBP's return key is acting up.

My wallet: :negative: