Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Concerned Citizen posted:

I didn't expect him to. Take it up with someone who did.

fair enough but perhaps take less umbrage at the anger over the hillary campaign hypocrisy on this topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

its a very pretty shot imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Hillary Can Fix It

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

fair enough but perhaps take less umbrage at the anger over the hillary campaign hypocrisy on this topic

I've been pretty clear since this topic first came up during primary that HFA was wrong to call it "funding the downballot", but I do think the idea that state parties suffered because of hvf is absolute bullshit.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

yaas qweeeen

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Buttgeig cant fool me with his diorama. He didnt even bother to paint the clock tower

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i was under the impression that despite going in looking like a Clinton stooge terry did actual good things in VA

But idk I don't really care for the state, I heard they enforce speeding like you murdered a dude

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

logikv9 posted:

i was under the impression that despite going in looking like a Clinton stooge terry did actual good things in VA

But idk I don't really care for the state, I heard they enforce speeding like you murdered a dude

Terry owns, and also installed a kegerator in the gov mansion because he's good. Va also owns, even if the va police believe speeding is the equivalent to killing Jesus and will literally jail you and/or take your license

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3779366&perpage=40&pagenumber=180#pti3
Archived :smith:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

I still can't get over how jeb looks like the child in this pic

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

he had the worst body language
screamed "im not confident about anything"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/vicbergeriv/status/697230021258276864

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

it's a florida thing

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Jazerus posted:

it's a florida thing

He seems so happy. I'm happy for him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

am I the only one that sees the two ghosts of WTC 01 and 02 in this picture?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So what argument can I give someone who believes that the way for Americans to climb out of poverty/declining middle class lifestyles is to invest in stock and similar things?

Is there really a feasible way for the stock market and 401Ks and the like to have huge gains quality of life? Especially due to the rising stock market?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

SKULL.GIF posted:

Look closer, there's WTC 07 too, standing tall.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

SKULL.GIF posted:

South Bend: Where The World Is Still Good

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Buttigeig Effect

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what argument can I give someone who believes that the way for Americans to climb out of poverty/declining middle class lifestyles is to invest in stock and similar things?

Is there really a feasible way for the stock market and 401Ks and the like to have huge gains quality of life? Especially due to the rising stock market?

Americans Can't Afford Food Housing Education and Healthcare Where Are They Going to Get Money For Stocks

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Feb 28, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hillary certainly didn't help Dems down ballot by explicitly refusing to tie Trump's shittiness to the rest of the GOP, and make senators and reps have to defend him, in a dumbass attempt to get Republicans to vote for her.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

if people are going to have more wealth (aka material goods), the economy producing more and producing more efficiently while distributing the wealth more equally is the path forward

is there a difference between companies getting investment and expansion money from stocks and a company turning a profit and investing into expansion because of increased business?

I dunno I'm not an economist and maybe I'm just a dumbass

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
the democrats are really good at raising lots of money, spending lots of money, and not getting results

-concerned citizen, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Americans Can't Afford Food, Housing and Healthcare Where Are They Going to Get Money For Stocks

I meant for middle class/lower middle class Americans.

Why can't they save say $250 per year, and invest that to stocks which have an average of 7% per return on investment.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

the democrats are really good at raising lots of money, spending lots of money, and not getting results

-concerned citizen, 2017

I would agree that Dems fundraising prowess often exceeds their campaign talent.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/836428445764702208

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
stocks are dumb but I say this as a person who can't manage anything bigger than 30 bucks on predictit

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

logikv9 posted:

stocks are dumb but I say this as a person who can't manage anything bigger than 30 bucks on predictit

is that all you bet on hillary?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
actually I gained it all betting big and winning it for the Iowa primary but then losing basically all of it in TRUMP No Primaries Won YES

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i reinvested some amount back into other things like the dem primary result and the general election result but idk how much it was, I kept forgetting to check it :sweatdrop: I am bad at fiscal responsibility

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why can't they save say $250 per year, and invest that to stocks which have an average of 7% per return on investment.

and get 17 bucks?

If you want to get enough money to raise up your lifestyle you have to keep the investments in stocks. this can help for retirement I guess but it's not like you're getting tons of spending money by investing in stocks that is immediately going to impact your life.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well let's see I'll fire up the ol Excel and see how much $250 a year invested over a lifetime with your interest rate assumption will get you:

=FV(.07, 50, -250)

oh turns out it's $101,632.23. That might be enough for a retired couple to live on for what, five years? If they only eat canned beans and don't have any medical expenses (lol).

Alternatively, this hypothetical person might lose all their savings from one medical emergency at age 55.

(The secret is that "middle class" Americans also can't afford poo poo)

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

punk rebel ecks posted:

The sad thing is there are millions of people in this country who believe bullshit like this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

and get 17 bucks?

If you want to get enough money to raise up your lifestyle you have to keep the investments in stocks. this can help for retirement I guess but it's not like you're getting tons of spending money by investing in stocks that is immediately going to impact your life.

Shear Modulus posted:

Well let's see I'll fire up the ol Excel and see how much $250 a year invested over a lifetime with your interest rate assumption will get you:

=FV(.07, 50, -250)

oh turns out it's $101,632.23. That might be enough for a retired couple to live on for what, five years? If they only eat canned beans and don't have any medical expenses (lol).

Alternatively, this hypothetical person might lose all their savings from one medical emergency at age 55.

(The secret is that "middle class" Americans also can't afford poo poo)

I see. But there are people out there who claim that they live off their stock. Some people from "middle class" backgrounds or less.

Scent of Worf posted:

The sad thing is there are millions of people in this country who believe bullshit like this.

For reference I don't believe it, but I want to know why it is impossible and what arguments I can use against people.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Feb 28, 2017

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. But there are people out there who claim that they live off their stock. Some people from "middle class" backgrounds or less.

there are also people that had to delay retirement because their 401ks took a nose dive in 2008

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

logikv9 posted:

He championed restoring voting rights to felons who'd done their time, which went over about as well as you'd expect with the usual suspects.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

put active flames behind bernie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

For reference I don't believe it, but I want to know why it is impossible and what arguments I can use against people.

I mean it's possible, you could hit it big on an investment and definitely have some class mobility.

you can also lose all of your investment.

I would want to know why the person is making the argument in the first place. are they arguing against wealth redistribution? saying that since it is technically possible for class mobility, the american dream is alive and well and everyone needs to shut up and sit down?

• Locked thread