Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

They were a spinoff, but I thought their distinguishing characteristic in early days was having odd experimental features as well as cheap stuff. I remember a motherboard that supported both PCIe and AGP, and another that was native socket 479 for desktop.

Haha I have this exact board. It has both DDR and DDR2 slots as well as AGP and PCI-E Ports. Still unused as it was supposed to be more of an experimental setup I was just going to tinker with when I had the time.

The time never came, but I still have plenty of parts and a box of older GPU's to throw into it and see how they run. We will see if I ever get around to it. But its a neat novelty board either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, I think we can look forward to some interesting poo poo from Asrock. Dual-GPU cards, low-profile cards, etc. There are some niches that haven't been filled in a while, and Asrock has shown the inclination to do it for mobos at least.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Low Profile I can see, but do you really think even ASRock will spend the time/energy on making a dual GPU card ala ASUS Mars or what have you in this day and age?

I mean if anyone would try it to make some headline news about having the fastest "Single GPU board" for a bit, it would be them, but man it feels like since Pascal it has felt like there is little differentiation between AIB boards outside of binning and GPU coolers. Can the AIB partner do anything except tweak the GPU bios clocks a little but remain in the Nvidia mandated voltage ranges?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Whatever happened to ESC? They were great for those cheap CPU + MB combos in the Core 2 days that were like $50 and while the boards were no frills, they all worked and were pretty solid when they worked. (Or were DOA, but usually those were actually just finicky power connectors in my findings...)

ECS still exists, they just mostly do OEM stuff for companies like Acer that need a shitload of low cost systems pumped out regularly.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

ECS still exists, they just mostly do OEM stuff for companies like Acer that need a shitload of low cost systems pumped out regularly.

Crap they are. And they actually do still make some boards.. Cool! Still wish Frys would carry them and make killer combos again, maybe someday when Ram prices stop being super retarded..... yea.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Low Profile I can see, but do you really think even ASRock will spend the time/energy on making a dual GPU card ala ASUS Mars or what have you in this day and age?

I mean if anyone would try it to make some headline news about having the fastest "Single GPU board" for a bit, it would be them, but man it feels like since Pascal it has felt like there is little differentiation between AIB boards outside of binning and GPU coolers. Can the AIB partner do anything except tweak the GPU bios clocks a little but remain in the Nvidia mandated voltage ranges?

Dual liquid x80 Ti would be an interesting card. Vega practically would need it. And it's just a better solution even for single-card, given how sensitive HBM is to temps. Nobody is giving Vega the engineering attention it needs (which is understandable given the performance).

I have a couple ECS Livas and I like them. Very good little mini-PC considering that it cost like $75 including Windows, there are some legitimate uses for a dirt-cheap Baytrail micro-PC.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 18, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Aren't those passively cooled as well? I remember seeing those a while back and looked super cool for some dusty environments.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My E6600 came with one of those ECS boards on a Fry’s deal. The metal yellow phoenix thing on the box artwork looked like YuGiOh’s Winged Dragon of Ra, which you think would be a good sign, but it was riddled with so many bugs that it must have been cursed.

Worst motherboard I ever owned, even worse than my ASUS P4B. Only threw it out last week because it lived in a dark corner of my closet for 12 years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Aren't those passively cooled as well? I remember seeing those a while back and looked super cool for some dusty environments.

Yup, at least the ones I have are. It's your basic passive nettop box. There are vents though, so the heatsinks will eventually clog up. If you are in a very dusty environment you can't beat something like an Akasa or HDPLEX full-passive case with an external heatsink that you can just blow off. Can't get those at a $75 price point though, obviously.

The Liva X adds a mSATA port and the Liva Z has M.2 and also RAM expansion slots (up to 8 GB). It actually trashes the Raspberry Pi in terms of both value and performance, IMO. It's at least competitive with the Banana Pi type "RPi but with SATA/USB 3.0/1GbE/wifi" type systems too. And obviously since it's x86 it runs normal applications on Windows, and Intel's Linux support is uniformly excellent as well (they had open-source graphics drivers long before it was cool, they're actually better than their Windows drivers).

Only thing I don't like about my Liva Xs are that I haven't managed to get it to boot off eMMC for Linux (works fine for Windows, and I need to try this again on newer versions of Ubuntu). What I found is that you need to use the mSATA port. But, a cheap mSATA card is like $30-40... and you can potentially add a big one if you want to do storage/etc. Pretty cool little system for the price.

The Liva Z has Apollo Lake (new video decoder with H265 Main10) as well. The street price is a bit higher at present... at some point you could use a J5005 passive board, put into one of those passive external-heatsink cases if necessary, and that's a better solution for a full-passive environment. Better expansion and better cooling. But I guess the MSRP is the same as previous versions, maybe prices will come down in 6-12 months.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8262/ecs-liva-review-the-nettop-rises-again

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/ECS-LIVA-Windows-Based-Mini-PC-Review-Palm-Sized-Desktop-Computer

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8883/ecs-liva-x-review-a-fanless-bay-trailm-minipc

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/ECS-LIVA-X-Mini-PC-Review-Tiny-Windows-Desktop-Gets-Upgrade

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11229/ecs-liva-z-duallan-apollo-lake-ucff-pc-review

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/ECS-LIVA-Z-Review-Fanless-Apollo-Lake-Mini-PC

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 18, 2018

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
non-deterministic math functions

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Why would anyone want to get into AMD cards after the Vega disaster?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why would any buy AMD cpu's or make Motherboards after Bulldozer?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was talking just the other day to someone who is replacing their old GTX 650 and is insisting on nothing other than AMD because they are mad about Nvidia's decisions regarding some ancient API and never want to support them again. I kind of explained where the industry is at right now that AMD is simply mismanaged and if you go look at Adored's 1080ti review you can kind of see the problem, but it didn't matter. This person is voluntarily becoming a Radeon Customer 4 Lyfe because of Nvidia's killing of GLide or something equally irrelevant to modern games. (This was effectively a retro gaming stream chat so it wasn't that surprising.)

Finally I said if you really do must buy Vega make sure you get a 56 because it's better perf:money. However, this person isn't waiting for crypto-inflation to go down and is basically like "$890 for a 56 or 930 for a 64, I'm better buying the 64."

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 18, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nevermind AMD being way too power hungry, their drivers are so buggy you cannot run a windows system stably for more than a week or 2 without some kind of gfx crash.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

redeyes posted:

their drivers are so buggy you cannot run a windows system stably for more than a week or 2 without some kind of gfx crash.

100% honest, have you used an AMD gpu in the last year? I am currently using an old 380x and complaints about drivers aren't valid anymore, and haven't been since 2008.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Tell that to anyone playing obscure games like Overwatch.

The problem with Vega in particular is that it's a loving rip off. For the same money you get far better nvidia stuff. For a while before the crypto thing exploded you were paying 1080ti money for the equivalent of a 1070 in performance. That's probably still the case now, I haven't really looked.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wargames posted:

100% honest, have you used an AMD gpu in the last year? I am currently using an old 380x and complaints about drivers aren't valid anymore, and haven't been since 2008.

Yes, I suppose vega might be better but I hear it isn't. Rx series.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, value for money is AMD’s real niche, it’s why they’re comfortable going out there and making slides showing Ryzen 2700 being behind i7-8700 in games, because look at what you pay for that extra performance.

Vega is bad value for money, and it’s almost certainly because they bet on HBM being cheap and lost. Baby sized Vega in the APUs are fine, I own one and it’s a joy for the price. But it’s using DRAM for it’s memory, which suggests AMD can probably blame HBM for coming in $100 over Paacal at launch (it’d probably be $50 more I’d supply was available just because of GDDR5 squeeze driving Pascal MSRP upward).

The planet is running out of memory, and Vega just turned out to be the canary in the coal mine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wargames posted:

Because there are now good chips that succeeded Bulldozer. Buying Bulldozer would be a bad idea. What’s the successful architecture that’s followed Vega?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

wargames posted:

I haven't bought a Microsoft console or Philips product since the Capacitor Plague.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Looks like the Bitcoin bubble may have finally popped, so keep an eye out for anyone trying to flip their 1070/1080's if you want a cheep "new" card.

Crosspost from the miner thread:

DrDork posted:

Bad. A lot of people are starting to turn their machines off entirely.

Risky Bisquick posted:

It seems like growth has slowed

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Yeah. I think the continuing shortage is from pent up gamer demand and production being shifted to the next generation of GPUs.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Subjunctive posted:

Because there are now good chips that succeeded Bulldozer. Buying Bulldozer would be a bad idea. What’s the successful architecture that’s followed Vega?

The PlayStation 5.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

karoshi posted:

The PlayStation 5.

I thought that was just Vega. How did they improve on it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VulgarandStupid posted:

Because AMD will cut them a deal. They are a middle-man. If AMD cuts them a better deal per unit than Nvidia, they can potentially make more money selling a worse product. If you remember back in ye olden days when ATI first moved to using AIB vendors, the Nvidia vs AMD pricewar to AIB vendors lead to lots of brands hopping back and forth or selling both.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Tell that to anyone playing obscure games like Overwatch.

Meanwhile nVidia has had borked drivers for VR for weeks.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Craptacular! posted:

My E6600 came with one of those ECS boards [...] Worst motherboard I ever owned
Yeah my worst mobo was ECS too - was Socket A with an SiS chipset, and had both DDR and SDR ram slots. It developed a problem where it would only post 1 out of 10 times - I was poor so I worked around this by resetting it over and over until it booted (reset switch didn't work for this - the quickest way was to flick mains switch off and on with just right timing that PC didn't quite shut down. I should mention that the HDD in this machine died quite young). Eventually I found that using DDR instead of SDR ram fixed it (strange because it had no issues with ram corruption or stability once it actually booted with SDR).

Funny thing is that mothboard had one of the best modding communities I'd ever seen (probably because socket A was hot poo poo and that mobo was significantly cheaper than the alternatives), I remember the modded bios I ran added so much extra functionality and options over stock, haven't seen anything like it since.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Subjunctive posted:

I thought that was just Vega. How did they improve on it?

It was a tongue in cheek comment. Didn't know the PS5 hardware was already fixed, but it's about time I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PerrineClostermann posted:

Meanwhile nVidia has had borked drivers for VR for weeks.

VR doesn’t matter, really.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

VR doesn’t matter, really.

There's over 1m sets sold between Vive and Rift, probably around 2m or more by now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's over 1m sets sold between Vive and Rift, probably around 2m or more by now.

Yeah, I know; as someone who worked on one of those headsets, it’s a disappointing result. Having it broken for a few weeks isn’t going to change any market dynamic.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
poo poo's just too expensive to get into. Anything that's vaguely immersive pushes you into the four digits territory for the VR equipment alone, and requires more than $2000 in computer hardware.

The barrier to entry is lower for those of us doing crazy poo poo like running 1440p 165 Hz on ultra with hairworks enabled but that's because we're already fundamentally broken human beings with no sense of fiscal responsibility.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Looks like the Bitcoin bubble may have finally popped, so keep an eye out for anyone trying to flip their 1070/1080's if you want a cheep "new" card.

Crosspost from the miner thread:

:bisonyes:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo's just too expensive to get into. Anything that's vaguely immersive pushes you into the four digits territory for the VR equipment alone, and requires more than $2000 in computer hardware.

I don’t think that’s true. I had very good VR experiences more than 2 years ago on a $1200 machine, and the Rift is about $500. If you think immersive has to mean photorealistic then the bar is higher, but that hasn’t been my experience even before things like ATW were refined enough to ship.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Rift is 350 right now, normal price 400. Runs on a 1060, 970, or 4/580. It's not expensive to get into if you have the GPU.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, you want Touch too, really. Unless you’re just doing flight sims or whatever.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Well, you want Touch too, really. Unless you’re just doing flight sims or whatever.

That includes touch. They haven't been separate packages since summer last year.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh poo poo, I am way out of date. (I burned out on it after Rift shipped and haven’t played in a good while.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
$400 is for Rift + Touch. (e: fb)

And the WMR headsets are the same price-range for a sensor-less headset+controllers setup, and are compatible with SteamVR games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Oh poo poo, I am way out of date. (I burned out on it after Rift shipped and haven’t played in a good while.)

They price dropped and bundled around July 2017. They started a sale to push out the old separate packages, and ended up just keeping the price.