Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Murgos posted:

Is it my filthy mind or is that TLX center console actually really suggestive of women's anatomy?

The exploded view, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what m car are you buying for 45 grand and if you say the m235i gran coupe i will poo poo my self laughing

M240i, which I guess isn’t technically an “m car” so sorry for the confusion. But id still take the Bmw, even without AWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i don't think you can compare a little baby coupe runabout to a midsize luxury sedan and keep a straight face

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

45k sounds like a pretty good deal for that car with the 2.0 turbo in it.....As long as they don't put a loving CVT in it that is.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Applebees Appetizer posted:

45k sounds like a pretty good deal for that car with the 2.0 turbo in it.....As long as they don't put a loving CVT in it that is.
It'll probably have the 10 speed automatic that the RDX has since it uses the same engine with a slightly different tune.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

With the RDX and now TLX on Acura exclusive platforms, it appears John Ikeda was not bullshittin'

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i don't think you can compare a little baby coupe runabout to a midsize luxury sedan and keep a straight face

Please recommend a car for me. I can’t decide between:

Jeep Wrangler
E30 BMW
Nissan 350Z
Lifted F150
LS swapped Miata

Looking for something to track/autocross/haul full size fridges on the weekend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Roughly same price point as 330ix, but I presume the Acura will come better equipped.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what m car are you buying for 45 grand and if you say the m235i gran coupe i will poo poo my self laughing

he meant m as in mdx

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Going to be an even better deal in 2022 after it doesn't sell because it's a sedan :(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

10 speed auto. I was holding out hope they might offer a manual but lol.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

days after posting that i think Acura has no reason to exist they announce a car i kinda want

welp

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Guinness posted:

Going to be an even better deal in 2022 after it doesn't sell because it's a sedan :(

That's a good thing for us non SUV buyers tho :)

Russian Bear posted:

10 speed auto. I was holding out hope they might offer a manual but lol.

Kinda surprised that Honda/Acura hasn't had some kind of DCT by now

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

I could have sworn they did tho. Imho it comes down more to implementation than technology concerning slushbox/dct/cvt, so if brand X doesn't want to go tech Y I don't really care that much as long as the box feels right when driving.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh I thought the ILX was compact? It’s not? I’ve never driven one. I dunno. I’m dumb.

Edit: oh poo poo I read ILX but it’s the TLX mea culpa

Wonderllama fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 27, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

That's a good thing for us non SUV buyers tho :)

The ILX uses an 8 speed DCT with a torque converter, which sounds weird but I haven't heard any opinions on how that works in the real world.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The NSX has a 9 speed DCT.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there a video of it running through all 9?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Man I like that alot really. I liked the previous one I just sat in at the auto show.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Honda has been putting DCTs in their motorcycles for a while now, and are the only ones who consistently make automatic non-scooter motorcycles.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

90s Solo Cup posted:

Someone's lost the keys to their 3-Series/A4.

Lol dude I drive a Focus RS.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Residency Evil posted:

Please recommend a car for me. I can’t decide between:

Jeep Wrangler
E30 BMW
Nissan 350Z
Lifted F150
LS swapped Miata

Looking for something to track/autocross/haul full size fridges on the weekend.

A Falcon or Commodore ute would suit your needs perfectly

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You Am I posted:

A Falcon or Commodore ute would suit your needs perfectly

F

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Cross-shopping absurdly different vehicles is actually the best, if you don't have any hard and fast requirements, because it will tell you what you actually want instead of what you think you might want. Renting weird poo poo and test-driving anything that caught my eye taught me a lot about what I need, what I want, and what I ultimately don't give a poo poo about. If I had though I must have a sports car, or I must have an SUV, or I must have a truck, or I must have a hatchback, and restricted myself to looking at those categories, I would not have as good an understanding of what I actually want out of a vehicle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Cross-shopping absurdly different vehicles is actually the best, if you don't have any hard and fast requirements, because it will tell you what you actually want instead of what you think you might want. Renting weird poo poo and test-driving anything that caught my eye taught me a lot about what I need, what I want, and what I ultimately don't give a poo poo about. If I had though I must have a sports car, or I must have an SUV, or I must have a truck, or I must have a hatchback, and restricted myself to looking at those categories, I would not have as good an understanding of what I actually want out of a vehicle.
Yeah exactly. I don't know if I'd want another Miata, or a Cayman, or maybe a Mustang. Kind of like the new Jimny too, that would be cool. Always loved the Land Cruiser too. I need none of them, but I have various itches I want scratched so I hypothetically wouldn't be cross-shopping just between two-seat convertibles. Ideally I'd just buy all of them...

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

PT6A posted:

I wish I knew this when I got into motorcycles, started on super sport ended up on a 100cc 2 stroke dualsport

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Good silhouette if nothing else so far...

https://twitter.com/INFINIT20041447/status/1265942598729887747?s=19

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Apparently it'll have 300ZX style horizontal tail lights and it'll have a variant of the twin turbo 3.0L V6 from the Infiniti Q50/Q60 coupes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

i definitely agree with this for determining individual preferences, but deciding that the new TLX is not competitive because you can buy a M240i for the same price is not reasonable

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Here’s the video the Z shots are from:

https://twitter.com/NissanMotor/status/1265937009761071104

As a Nissan tragic, I hope they can turn poo poo around. As much as we mock the Z and well most of their lineup for being old, the basics of the FM platform that underpins the Z and Skyline/whatever the Infiniti version is called this week are solid and well balanced, a lot of hay could be made by slapping modern tech in it (mag ride etc?) with the turbo 6. Not enough trickle down from the cool drive train poo poo in the GT-R to the lesser models.

I’m not sure what Nissan ever got out of the Renault alliance, Ol Mate Carlos done hosed up. A decade plus with no decent hot hatch, while Renault pumps out fast Meganes year after year? They finally wised up and rebadged the Versa/Tiida in our market as the Pulsar again and did a SSS version with a 140kw 1.6 turbo but it wasn’t that much to write home about, at least they don’t appear to be as decontented as the US versions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nissan got diesels for Europe and a bunch of platform sharing stuff.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Here’s the video the Z shots are from:

https://twitter.com/NissanMotor/status/1265937009761071104

As a Nissan tragic, I hope they can turn poo poo around. As much as we mock the Z and well most of their lineup for being old, the basics of the FM platform that underpins the Z and Skyline/whatever the Infiniti version is called this week are solid and well balanced, a lot of hay could be made by slapping modern tech in it (mag ride etc?) with the turbo 6. Not enough trickle down from the cool drive train poo poo in the GT-R to the lesser models.

I’m not sure what Nissan ever got out of the Renault alliance, Ol Mate Carlos done hosed up. A decade plus with no decent hot hatch, while Renault pumps out fast Meganes year after year? They finally wised up and rebadged the Versa/Tiida in our market as the Pulsar again and did a SSS version with a 140kw 1.6 turbo but it wasn’t that much to write home about, at least they don’t appear to be as decontented as the US versions.

If Nissan can basically make a discount Audi TT with a manual, that would be dope.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Acura TLX officially announced.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/28/2021-acura-tlx-type-s-luxury-sports-sedan/

quote:

2021 Acura TLX revealed, finally looks like a credible luxury sports sedan

Good looks, lots of technology and a pair of turbocharged engine options

We've been given our first official glimpse into the brand-new 2021 Acura TLX sedan, and so far we like what we see. It's clear that Acura wants to be considered a brand that focuses on performance, boosting power with two turbocharged engine options and the return of the Type S variant after a decade-long absence.

Acura stuck close to the well-received Type S concept when styling the new TLX, which means the sedan boasts crisp lines, aggressively creased sheetmetal and a low, wide stance. An angular grille is flanked by Acura's Jewel Eye headlights and Chicane LED running lights to create an expressive face, and similarly shaped taillights at the back end finish off a cohesive design. An A-Spec sport package adds darkened elements along with a unique set of 19-inch wheels and a rear spoiler.

The 2021 Acura TLX Type S goes several steps past the A-Spec with a so-called Diamond Pentagon grille and larger side air intakes. A front splitter and rear diffuser join the requisite rear spoiler to round out the aero package. Quad exhaust tips and 20-inch wheels are also included as part of the package. But the big news is underhood, with a 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 serving as the headliner. Acura hasn't yet released power figures for the Type S, but promises it will be much more powerful than the outgoing 3.5-liter V6 with "a more than 50-percent increase in low-end torque."

Standard TLX models will get a new 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 272 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. That's 66 hp and 98 lb-ft more than the previous naturally aspirated 2.4-liter engine, and Acura says there are 123 additional lb-ft at 1,500 rpm. Both engines will send their ponies through a 10-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard, and Acura's fourth-generation torque vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system will be standard on the Type S and optional on other TLX models.

Inside, all TLXs get a tech-rich cabin that features a centrally mounted 10.2-inch display and Acura's latest True Touchpad Interface. A 7-inch digital screen in the gauge cluster is standard, and a 10.5-inch head-up display is optional. Acura's Integrated Dynamics System is controlled via a prominent silver dial, and it now offers a customizable Individual mode.

The 2021 TLX sits on a new platform that is stiffer than before — Acura says the only vehicle more rigid in its portfolio is the NSX — and features double-wishbone front suspension in place of the previous model's struts. Cast aluminum front shock tower mounts, the location of the 12-volt battery to the trunk and an electric-servo brake system with bits borrowed from the aforementioned NSX point to the automaker's desire to turn the TSX into a proper sport sedan.

The full suite of AcuraWatch safety and driver-assistive technologies come standard, all of which actively attempt to avoid accidents. The automaker's new three-chamber front passenger airbag design is said to function like a baseball catcher's mitt to cradle the occupant for enhanced protection in frontal collisions.

As we said at the outset, we like what we see here. The final verdict, as always, will depend on the driving experience. We're excited to take Acura's first credible sports sedan in what feels like an eternity for a spin, particularly the Type S.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just really wish the response to try to juice up the sedan market was to make them all liftbacks. None of the people who think hatchbacks look cheap will be bothered by the styling but it makes it a hell of a lot more useful.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 28, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Acura TLX officially announced.

A desirable Acura sedan, what the gently caress dimension is this

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bull3964 posted:

I just really wish the response to try to juice up the sedan market was to make them all liftbacks. None people who think hatchbacks look cheap won't be bothered by the styling but it makes it a hell of a lot more useful.

this was the deciding factor in why I was shopping the A5/S5. its so loving handy

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I just really wish the response to try to juice up the sedan market was to make them all liftbacks. None people who think hatchbacks look cheap won't be bothered by the styling but it makes it a hell of a lot more useful.

This would be great. A lot of smaller sedans and even coupes actually have reasonably sized trunks by volume, but it's the trunk opening that is the biggest limiting factor for getting stuff in and out!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bull3964 posted:

I just really wish the response to try to juice up the sedan market was to make them all liftbacks. None of the people who think hatchbacks look cheap will be bothered by the styling but it makes it a hell of a lot more useful.

Definitely agree. Going from a Fiesta hatch to my Volt, I get the space and ease of the hatch with sedan styling. It's so easy to shove stuff in there

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

bull3964 posted:

I was never big on hatchbacks but after I got my S5 Sportback I can see why people love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

They tried that with the Insignia/Commodore and Mondeo (both were liftback/wagon only for Australia and New Zealand) and no one bought them.

The Stinger too (which is a bit different I guess because it was never meant to be a mainstream vehicle)