Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

^^It was Tera/Terazi/Teradyne in DDS.

NikkolasKing posted:

Not being able to choose my fused demon's skills is driving me up the wall. I have the perfect healer demon but the odds of me getting all four skills on a better demon is slim to none.

I'm just about to go do the Fairy crap at Yoyogi Park and also frustrated with the two Physical Magatamas that just became available. . 240k.... I obviously need them both though. But even selling the Spyglass and assorted other rare items I could barely afford the 150K one. I dunno if I should get the more expensive one which has Life Surge, Endure and Javelin Rain or the less expensive one that only has Life Gain but also has Hades Blast and Retaliate. Hades Blast is a stronger technique IIRC.
Also I have two permanent slits filled with Void Nerve and Void Mind because gently caress status ailments.

Decisions decisions.

Also, are there any "locked off" demons? Like, in SJ and IV and IVA you have to beat such-and-sh demon to become capable of fusing them. It is Black Frost you fight later on right? Can I not fuse him until I beat him? I think you need a Tyrant to do it and I just got Loki. Man, a lot of the special fusions in this game must be impossible to guess at and need a guide. Only the angels one seems obvious.

I think all boss demons need to be beat before you can fuse them. For story bosses that doesn't really matter since you will usually fight them before you are high enough level to fuse them anyway but there are a handful of optional bosses.

Most of the special fusions are mythology references, or long-running series traditions in the case of Shiva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
why the hell is no one talking about this

https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/1055461214082392067

I think you can go back to original bad posts in this thread wanting this to be translated, hell yes. time to play a real shin megami tensei game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Expect My Mom posted:

I think you can go back to original bad posts in this thread wanting this to be translated, hell yes. time to play a real shin megami tensei game

Whaaaaaaaaaaat

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Apparently Gideon got a ton of poo poo and harassment from SMT communities over how long this took and I'm personally disappointed in each and every one of you shame shame shame

For people who don't know what this or why it's cool, I guess, SMT if... is basically Persona 0, being the first game with a high school setting and it's 100% canon in the Persona universe with the main character of if...going into other games and I'm pretty sure if... makes SMT 1 or Megami Tensei 1 canon in the Persona universe in a throwaway line. I think this has translation in development for like, somewhere over five years, probably closer to ten. The Duke Nukem Forever of SMT games.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Apparently Gideon got a ton of poo poo and harassment from SMT communities over how long this took and I'm personally disappointed in each and every one of you shame shame shame

For people who don't know what this or why it's cool, I guess, SMT if... is basically Persona 0, being the first game with a high school setting and it's 100% canon in the Persona universe with the main character of if...going into other games and I'm pretty sure if... makes SMT 1 or Megami Tensei 1 canon in the Persona universe in a throwaway line. I think this has translation in development for like, somewhere over five years, probably closer to ten. The Duke Nukem Forever of SMT games.

Which direction the timeline goes in mostly depends on if ridiculous time travel detective shenanigans happened or not

If... happens in all of them though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 26, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

^^It was Tera/Terazi/Teradyne in DDS.

I think all boss demons need to be beat before you can fuse them. For story bosses that doesn't really matter since you will usually fight them before you are high enough level to fuse them anyway but there are a handful of optional bosses.

Most of the special fusions are mythology references, or long-running series traditions in the case of Shiva.

It's like how everyone I talk to always has Alice in their party. I've never seen her in any of my games unless you count teh SJ sidequest. I've just never figured out the way to fuse her, I guess.

It seems like there is some stuff you'll just never know unless you follow a guide or spend a ton of time experimenting, neither of which appeals to me overly. I do fiddle around fusing demons a bit but I never have enough money to go crazy with that. I just buy a bunch of stuff from the Compendium to test it out then reload when I find something that works and only buy that demon instead of all the worthless ones.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

NikkolasKing posted:

It's like how everyone I talk to always has Alice in their party. I've never seen her in any of my games unless you count teh SJ sidequest. I've just never figured out the way to fuse her, I guess.

It seems like there is some stuff you'll just never know unless you follow a guide or spend a ton of time experimenting, neither of which appeals to me overly. I do fiddle around fusing demons a bit but I never have enough money to go crazy with that. I just buy a bunch of stuff from the Compendium to test it out then reload when I find something that works and only buy that demon instead of all the worthless ones.

In Devil Survivor 1 or 2, I forget, you had to do a specific side quest to unlock her.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Playing Strange Journey Redux and while I like this game a lot (more than a lot of SMT games, really, for whatever reason) I can't shake the feeling that it would've made a really kick-rear end Metroidvania

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Alice is usually some form of special fusion. Either Nebiros + Belial (the 2 demons that summoned her in SMT 2) or some sort of multi fusion where the game tells you the ingredients outright.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Playing Strange Journey Redux and while I like this game a lot (more than a lot of SMT games, really, for whatever reason) I can't shake the feeling that it would've made a really kick-rear end Metroidvania

I never got to play the translation hack (I only have a Mac and I’m too dumb to set up another OS) but they released a game called Synchronicity Jack Bros that was a Metroidvania to promote SJR in Japan.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RedRupee posted:

I never got to play the translation hack (I only have a Mac and I’m too dumb to set up another OS) but they released a game called Synchronicity Jack Bros that was a Metroidvania to promote SJR in Japan.

I'm pretty sure playing that is what gave me the idea in the first place but drat it's such a good idea

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'd probably be more interested in the If... patch if it was done by literally anyone else at this point. Like, someone who actually translates things, keeps consistency with the series and doesn't introduce game-breaking bugs.

....I'll still play it anyway though. :v:

WrightOfWay posted:

Either Nebiros + Belial (the 2 demons that summoned her in SMT 2)

SMT1. She's a normal random Fiend in SMT2.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dragonatrix posted:

I'd probably be more interested in the If... patch if it was done by literally anyone else at this point. Like, someone who actually translates things, keeps consistency with the series and doesn't introduce game-breaking bugs.

SMT 1 and 2 were 14 and 16 years ago, they aren't fair comparison points to Gideon's later work.

Also ROM hacking is hard, especially when contenting with Atlus' poo poo code.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What I don't get is why he didn't translate the PSX versions. I heard they're better anyway.

Granted, as noted, romhacking is hard and I certainly don't understand it. I just figured tinkering with CD stuff is easier than cart stuff. Maybe I'm wrong.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's neat to hear that the translation is finally finished, but it's a shame that the guy was harassed all that time.

Also, is there a reason why there are 2 earth spells?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dragonatrix posted:

You know the SMT 1 patch predates there even being a series to be consistent with, right?

I'm sorry the guy kicked your dog or whatever but he's been making really good translations for over a decade since SMT 1 and if... is using the modern spell/demon names so I think you can relax.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's neat to hear that the translation is finally finished, but it's a shame that the guy was harassed all that time.

Also, is there a reason why there are 2 earth spells?

Maybe someone just forgot they already had one and made another

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I can't remember for certain what is after the Amala Temple in Nocturne:The Manikin shrine, the Diet Building and then the final dungeon? Would make sense, it's all the Reason folks finally attaining ULTIMATE POWER before you kick their teeth in.

Then again, I'm not going TDE here so somebody gets to keep their teeth.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ5cfX3PxsU

What in tarnation

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

This is amazing! If... is such a great game and seeing it finally translated is amazing. Reading that newspost, though, that's not amazing at all. I know when projects run long (and especially long in this case) it can be demoralizing when people who are understandably excited to see it completed continually ask when it'll be done, but to hear that people went further than that to the point of harassment is just really disappointing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

It's not totally unreasonable for a game like PQ2 to lean hard into the silliness, I think

That said what the hell did I just watch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does Junessic even mean anything?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Every day's great at your

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does Junessic even mean anything?

It's just Jurassic + Junes, as in the department store from Persona 4.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh wow I'm dumb, Yosuke dino should have tipped me off.

So one dungeon is 5, the other is 4. I wonder what 3's dungeon will use.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

The love motel.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

3's dungeon is a sci-fi movie about Aigis in a future where robots have taken over the

https://personacentral.com/persona-q2-new-cinema-labyrinth-scans-feature-third-dungeon-persona-3s-sees/

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just killed Futomimi for Chiaki, hope this means I'm locked into the Yosuga route.

After that, onto SJR. The art style is...different. Gore in particular looks really different to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Playing Nocturne...And not doing True Demon Ending...Bwuah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Playing Nocturne...And not doing True Demon Ending...Bwuah.

Did that on my first run.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I have played through nocturne at least 4 times and every single time I did the TDE. Missing out on the final boss kinda sucks.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Expect My Mom posted:

Been waiting for a decade to play this game.

NikkolasKing posted:

Not being able to choose my fused demon's skills is driving me up the wall. I have the perfect healer demon but the odds of me getting all four skills on a better demon is slim to none.

I'm just about to go do the Fairy crap at Yoyogi Park and also frustrated with the two Physical Magatamas that just became available. . 240k.... I obviously need them both though. But even selling the Spyglass and assorted other rare items I could barely afford the 150K one. I dunno if I should get the more expensive one which has Life Surge, Endure and Javelin Rain or the less expensive one that only has Life Gain but also has Hades Blast and Retaliate. Hades Blast is a stronger technique IIRC.
Also I have two permanent slits filled with Void Nerve and Void Mind because gently caress status ailments.

Decisions decisions.

Also, are there any "locked off" demons? Like, in SJ and IV and IVA you have to beat such-and-sh demon to become capable of fusing them. It is Black Frost you fight later on right? Can I not fuse him until I beat him? I think you need a Tyrant to do it and I just got Loki. Man, a lot of the special fusions in this game must be impossible to guess at and need a guide. Only the angels one seems obvious.

I don't know why you're low on money, because I got a second save right now where I've grinded up 350K by just doing some dungeon management. About 11 runs in a dungeon above your skill level while managing resources, you can grind a lot of money that way. Amala is good for that too if you have specific builds for that. Is my PAL version slightly different to yours? I assume you're playing the last NTSC release.

I honestly don't remember which version was closer to Maniax, but I have to compare post-battle rewards and builds with that version too.

One thing I liked in III more than IV is that outright get monetary rewards from individual battles instead of having to grind quests or item spawns.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
So in If..., which partner should I go with at the beginning?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Been waiting for a decade to play this game.

I don't know why you're low on money, because I got a second save right now where I've grinded up 350K by just doing some dungeon management. About 11 runs in a dungeon above your skill level while managing resources, you can grind a lot of money that way. Amala is good for that too if you have specific builds for that. Is my PAL version slightly different to yours? I assume you're playing the last NTSC release.

I honestly don't remember which version was closer to Maniax, but I have to compare post-battle rewards and builds with that version too.

One thing I liked in III more than IV is that outright get monetary rewards from individual battles instead of having to grind quests or item spawns.

Maybe it's a HardType and Hard Mode thing? I dunno.Maybe it's also because I've used theCompendium pretty frequently to get demons to help me win fights when I was stuck. In any event, money is starting to pour in after Amala Temple. When you use the attract skill and constantly get those successive battles, money, EXP and items just rain from the heavens. I've been doing that a lot lately.

But I agree, it beats IV and IVA.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it's a HardType and Hard Mode thing? I dunno.Maybe it's also because I've used theCompendium pretty frequently to get demons to help me win fights when I was stuck. In any event, money is starting to pour in after Amala Temple. When you use the attract skill and constantly get those successive battles, money, EXP and items just rain from the heavens. I've been doing that a lot lately.

But I agree, it beats IV and IVA.

Yeah, either attract or just using the bell is a good way of just farming a whole lot of cash and XP, especially in Amala. This is my experience with new saves since I don't do NG+ runs. I find that you end up over-leveling so much that hell rider and white rider end up being a breeze and you can just play with them (to be fair, white rider can be easily messed with compared to the other riders that are more straightforward).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

im playing the heck out of this

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Chill posted:

So in If..., which partner should I go with at the beginning?
Partnering with Reiko is basically like unlocking if...'s equivalent of the TDE, to put it in simple words.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm hitting that "is it over?" phase in Nocturne so I decided to start up SJR..

Did the original SJ have field saves? Quite frankly, save anywhere is not "easy mode" for these games. Apparently that was a complaint for IV and IVA. In a game where you will get frequently attacked first, and when some of those attacks are instant death bullshit, saving anywhere and whenever is just good game design.

Dying to Mudo in Persona or Nocturne after god knows how much dungeon crawling is not "challenging" it's bullshit. So I very much appreciate this addition, assuming it is an addition. My memory of SJ is very spotty.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OG Strange Journey had designated save spots, which also usually had healing spots nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Insta-kill spells are bullshit. It's just a case of, oh, I should've prepared for that I guess, let's die then and go back in a limited capacity because now I need to pull some poo poo to protect myself from insta-kill spells that are random! I can't speak for SMT but the dungeons in Persona are by far the weakest part of those games, so much so that it borders on being detrimental to the entire experience.

For my part, I hope they revamp that whole aspect for P6 because weirdly, the dungeons being a set design in P5 makes them way more of a grind to go through on subsequent playthroughs, even more so than the boring-rear end randomly generated ones in P3 and P4. The dumb artificial plot-tied gating doesn't help either. Nor does the rock-paper-scissors combat.