Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AndrewBeatty/status/887024861872312320
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/887025115950665728

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Yea, but if you start looking hard enough, you're going to quickly realize that literally every company has a higher up or two with loving terrible beliefs.

I agree that one should avoid the more egregious cases, but I can't be doing research into ethics for every purchasing decision I make, I'd never buy anything again.

Yeah, there's no point in researching companies. My rule is just to avoid the ones that are so lovely that they can't keep it to themselves. Looking at you, Hobby Lobby.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
What in the world made NBC think a Sunday night "magazine" show built around a Fox News robot would be a success on broadcast TV? It's like they actually want to be clowned by 60 Minutes over and over again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what the gently caress? more details.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

1. Drain swamp
1. Pour worse swamp over existing swamp
2. TBD
3. #MAGA

Look up how coal is made, Donnie's turning DC into a new coal deposit in a few million years.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

1. "Democrats colluded with Ukraine"
2. Ukraine is annexed into Russia
3. "Democrats colluded with Russia, too!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress? more details.

The press conference is off camera because Spicer has no balls.

edit:
https://twitter.com/Allie_Kite/status/887021002328334337

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Yea, but if you start looking hard enough, you're going to quickly realize that literally every company has a higher up or two with loving terrible beliefs.

I agree that one should avoid the more egregious cases, but I can't be doing research into ethics for every purchasing decision I make, I'd never buy anything again.

I agree, you just have a draw a line at some point. I'm not going to boycott S&P 500 index funds for my retirement because I'm sure at least 1 of those 500 companies does something I disagree with, but I can manage not going to Jimmy John's after seeing pictures of the CEO holding up a dead leopard while smiling.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Would you get your wedding cake made by that place that went to court so it could refuse to serve gay couples? Or would you just shrug and say they make good cakes?

I mean the Sonic picture is totally true, but sometimes it's so in-your-face that you can't really ignore it.

there's a difference between someone directly refusing service due to bigotry, and the owner of a corporation taking their private income and donating it to anti-societal causes despite the corporation or its product not ostensibly being bigoted

because if you start getting real picky about the second category basically every corporation is off the table for one reason or another. as bad as chick fil a's founders might be, they do close on sundays and pay above minimum wage

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Reik posted:

I agree, you just have a draw a line at some point. I'm not going to boycott S&P 500 index funds for my retirement because I'm sure at least 1 of those 500 companies does something I disagree with, but I can manage not going to Jimmy John's after seeing pictures of the CEO holding up a dead leopard while smiling.

I've heard that leopards eat people's faces, though. I don't want my face to be eaten by a leopard.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

boner confessor posted:

there's a difference between someone directly refusing service due to bigotry, and the owner of a corporation taking their private income and donating it to anti-societal causes despite the corporation or its product not ostensibly being bigoted

because if you start getting real picky about the second category basically every corporation is off the table for one reason or another. as bad as chick fil a's founders might be, they do close on sundays and pay above minimum wage

Counterpoint - In Memphis TN at least they were employing 12 year olds because they were a religious company and could get around labor laws.

gently caress Chick Fil A.

I refuse to go to Walmart, Jimmy Johns, Papa Johns, Hobby Lobby, and Chick Fil A. Mostly because theyve been very public about their assholery. There's tons of super lovely companies out there but when they are openly shitheads, you just can't ignore it.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 17, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

silicone thrills posted:

Counterpoint - In Memphis TN at least they were employing 12 year olds because they were a religious company and could get around labor laws.

gently caress Chick Fil A.

lmao citation needed

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

boner confessor posted:

lmao citation needed

This was back in the late 90s early 2000s and I had a few friends from church that were there. It's probably changed but it was really fuckin weird.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rigel posted:

I've heard that leopards eat people's faces, though. I don't want my face to be eaten by a leopard.

They'll leave you alone if you vote for them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i totally buy your half remembered teenage memory from decades ago, sure

not disputing that companies can be bad and chick fil a even more so but i dont see how a franchise fast food joint could get itself labeled a "religious company"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

Here's an article on what was found:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37639370

Nothing terribly shocking, just typical office bitching and slightly sleazy money deals.

Funny how everyone completely lost interest late last year, no? It was the hugest deal in November. December, poof, nothing.

Dec? It happened 2016-11-09 2:XX AM.

Also the same thing with Mr. Ben Ghazi.

Also also reminder Rick Scott is the tall skinny bald of evil character. He banned state workers from saying the c-word and g-word and his wife owned the drug testing company that tested welfare users for drugs which costed the state more money than it saved.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is Chick Fil A like, one step above KFC? Or is it actually good? People tend to rave about it when they come back from the US and I'm all like 'but aren't they...'

Google image results for them just look like poo poo supermarket chicken.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

silicone thrills posted:

This was back in the late 90s early 2000s and I had a few friends from church that were there. It's probably changed but it was really fuckin weird.

It was probably the easiest job they ever had. Kids working in service or retail is not uncommon at least in the South, but these are usually kids from well off middle class families. My favorite donut shop has a kid working there taking orders and operating the register.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

lol. We did nothing wrong but Hillary Clinton, who we are accusing of doing the same thing we did, totally did something wrong. Epso facto Hillary Clinton is evil for doing the thing we did even though we are good for doing it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It was probably the easiest job they ever had. Kids working in service or retail is not uncommon at least in the South, but these are usually kids from well off middle class families. My favorite donut shop has a kid working there taking orders and operating the register.

Child Labor: Fine when widespread

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Is Chick Fil A like, one step above KFC? Or is it actually good? People tend to rave about it when they come back from the US and I'm all like 'but aren't they...'

It's a decent chicken sandwich. It's not "omg holy poo poo this is amazing!!!1" or anything.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

TheScott2K posted:

What in the world made NBC think a Sunday night "magazine" show built around a Fox News robot would be a success on broadcast TV? It's like they actually want to be clowned by 60 Minutes over and over again.
It really does boggle the mind that NBC didn't realize what Kelly's sole purpose was at FNC. Ailes knew she was just jerkoff material for nonagenerians; her makeup was crafted to make their myopic audience see their own personal prom queen spouting right wing drivel on their SDTVs.

It turns out that poo poo news by misogynists for misogynists doesn't sell to anyone that doesn't already have the Fox logo burned into their screen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Steve2911 posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't been to a Chick fil-a since I left Texas in 1988

They were pretty OK, but had good waffle fries

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheScott2K posted:

Child Labor: Fine when widespread

This isn't children in poverty working factory labor for their families survival, these are kids from well off families working an easy register job to afford more videogames, with parental approval.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cochise posted:

It's a decent chicken sandwich. It's not "omg holy poo poo this is amazing!!!1" or anything.

Mostly because their competition is so very awful.

I'm sure their reputation was earned to some extent, but its gotten out of control now. Chick-Fil-A is now culturally considered to be the God-King of chicken fast food restaurants to the point where people feel compelled to agree when they otherwise may have shrugged and said "eh, its fine, I like it, whatever"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
when i got my first job at sixteen i didn't want to work in fast food, so i got a job at a hospice instead. that was a mistake

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

boner confessor posted:

The company is giving money to anti-gay causes, not the owner (well, he probably did too).

But I already said higher up the page that I agree that it's not worth being overly picky about it. If they come out and say "We are bigots," you should probably stop shopping there though.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rigel posted:

I'm sure their reputation was earned to some extent, but its gotten out of control now. Chik-Fil-A is now culturally considered to be the God-King of chicken fast food restaurants to the point where people feel compelled to agree when they otherwise may have shrugged and said "eh, its fine, I like it, whatever"

Popeyes begs to differ

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Crabtree posted:

Unfortuantely we can't get the votes for it because we have a whole lot of other bills and budgets to set up and McCain just keeps needing brain surgery.

Is it weird that every time big health legislation comes up it's complicated by a member of the senate having something break in their brain?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Yeah my Facebook timeline is filled with this bullshit. What's the actual story?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So how many more decades you think until we're no longer going to hear Hillary Clinton's name brought up every week?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I like Chick-Fil-A more than McDonalds. For fast food, I generally prefer chicken sandwiches to hamburgers. At a decent sit-down restaurant, that preference switches. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Rigel posted:

I'm sure their reputation was earned to some extent, but its gotten out of control now. Chick-Fil-A is now culturally considered to be the God-King of chicken fast food restaurants to the point where people feel compelled to agree when they otherwise may have shrugged and said "eh, its fine, I like it, whatever"

You obviously haven't learned about the trash that is Raising Cane's. People swear by that place here. It's like a turf war where one side is Chick-Fil-A and the other side is Raising Cane's with their secret sauce (it's not secret and it's bleh).

Feldegast42 posted:

Popeyes begs to differ

This.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Steve2911 posted:

Chick Fil A does not offer traditional fried chicken like KFC or Popeyes, instead they offer a variety of sandwiches and also nuggets. So it's kinda hard to compare the two, but I'd guess Chick Fil A has better quality food. Popeyes is the best when it comes to Fried Chicken, I have no idea why KFC or Chick Fil A have struggled to add spicy fried chicken to their list of offerings

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

boner confessor posted:

i totally buy your half remembered teenage memory from decades ago, sure

not disputing that companies can be bad and chick fil a even more so but i dont see how a franchise fast food joint could get itself labeled a "religious company"

Not to mention that there's no such thing as a religious exemption from child labor laws.

But by the nonexistent Magic Sky Fairy, I will tip my fedora all over this fuckin' thread with my fake anecdote.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Steve2911 posted:

They're really good fast food. They also have on average what is probably the best service of any major chain restaurant including sit-down places. The employee quality is credited mainly to the fact franchises are encouraged to treat their employees like actual human beings. It's a shame the Cathy family are bigots.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So how many more decades you think until we're no longer going to hear Hillary Clinton's name brought up every week?

The very second the Democrats decide on a candidate for 2020.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Probably a while, given that we were still hearing about Chappaquiddick for years after Ted Kennedy died.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ZobarStyl posted:

It really does boggle the mind that NBC didn't realize what Kelly's sole purpose was at FNC. Ailes knew she was just jerkoff material for nonagenerians; her makeup was crafted to make their myopic audience see their own personal prom queen spouting right wing drivel on their SDTVs.

It turns out that poo poo news by misogynists for misogynists doesn't sell to anyone that doesn't already have the Fox logo burned into their screen.

No, I'm pretty sure what they wanted was to siphon fox ratings by getting a used fox talking head. But that's still expecting to herd a aged cougar and not expect her to try and maul people because you didn't put her in a proper cage. They didn't think about who they got and are constantly getting burned by her regular Fox antics because she isn't and never will be an actual Journo. She's a loving RWM personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Once the Democrats win a presidential election.

Rigel posted:

Yeah, KFC is a bad comparison because KFC has been in a quality death-spiral for like 30 years and smells like it was fried with fish bones in the oil or something. It wasn't always outright nasty poo poo, but it sure is now.

Chick-fil-a is fine, but it's just a lightly seasoned piece of fried chicken on a generic hamburger bun with 2 pickle slices - there is nothing outstanding about it. A Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich is just as good in terms of general food quality.

• Locked thread