Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

Trenlass was doing 15k SAP salvos in the tier 9 on other battleships but that was not guaranteed. Depends if you hit the superstructure or not.

The real losers are cruisers. Sap don't care about your angling.

A lot of the cruiser lines have gotten the shaft with the recent changes. I think most CL’s and US/IJN CA’s are pretty dead at this point. So I guess SAP spamming Pasta BB’s are just going to make it worse.

Though I’ve been having a lot of success running an anti-concealment Yoshino. It actually works in its own hilarious way, and no one expects the faster reload. In a recent match, an enemy Puerto Rico tried to rush me, and I kited away and just poured HE into it until it burned down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

colonelwest posted:

A lot of the cruiser lines have gotten the shaft with the recent changes. I think most CL’s and US/IJN CA’s are pretty dead at this point. So I guess SAP spamming Pasta BB’s are just going to make it worse.

Though I’ve been having a lot of success running an anti-concealment Yoshino. It actually works in its own hilarious way, and no one expects the faster reload. In a recent match, an enemy Puerto Rico tried to rush me, and I kited away and just poured HE into it until it burned down.

CLs are fine, this is just the past week......

Honestly a lot of the dead eye stuff is settling down a bit

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’ve been having a good run with dds the past couple nights due to the absence of good cruiser players. That said, I was also trying to grind cruiser spotting damage so was running radar Mino for a bit and it went well too. Deadeye is good for farming stationary ships, but it’s not trivial to hit maneuvering cruisers at long range.

I also tried really hard to make Yoshino work and it doesn’t. You can’t reliably use the AP, and the HE spam is only okay. It’s just not fun, nor is it effective; most games I was always feeling a moment away from a random citadel (which usually came).

I’m trying to get the Vermont for some reason, and holy poo poo is the Minnesota bad. It’s not just the reload, the shells seem to have worse pen then the Lion. Shot multiple broadside T9 battleships at close range for nothing but shatters and overpens.

Velius fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 14, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Velius posted:

I’ve been having a good run with dds the past couple nights due to the absence of good cruiser players. That said, I was also trying to grind cruiser spotting damage so was running radar Mino for a bit and it went well too. Deadeye is good for farming stationary ships, but it’s not trivial to hit maneuvering cruisers at long range.

I also tried really hard to make Yoshino work and it doesn’t. You can’t reliably use the AP, and the HE spam is only okay. It’s just not fun, nor is it effective; most games I was always feeling a moment away from a random citadel (which usually came).

If you're going to play a 20km lighthouse cruiser Henri is just better in every way

Sair
May 11, 2007

So I just looked at this again for the first time in several months and uh

How's it going?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Definitely agree that the poo poo-fest Deadeye meta has mellowed somewhat.

Does Lighthouse HIV work without Legendary mod?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sair posted:

So I just looked at this again for the first time in several months and uh

How's it going?

Not very fun right now

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

colonelwest posted:

I've been doing well in randoms with Des Moines and Moskva. Also Edinburgh when there isn't too much radar. But Moskva has to stay max range and Des Moines needs to staple itself to an island (not that this is any different than before but you really can't afford to let your bow/stern drift out).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

kaesarsosei posted:

Definitely agree that the poo poo-fest Deadeye meta has mellowed somewhat.

Does Lighthouse HIV work without Legendary mod?

It's a significant hit to not have it, but I mean, you should be able to burn down a lot of BBs regardless

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I really dislike this game right now.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Welp, guess I won't have a Somers, huh?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

You aren’t missing much

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I love destroyers and I have way more games in the not very good Hayate than the Somers. Somers is a “you need 16.5 km torps and slightly better concealment than a Gearing for competitive” ship, not one that is very fun to use. Even Gearing is iffy due to the silly US smoke being so hard to play around, but at least it has guns.

If you don’t have it get Georgia. I’m emphatically not a good battleship player and it’s crazy good.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Velius posted:

I love destroyers and I have way more games in the not very good Hayate than the Somers. Somers is a “you need 16.5 km torps and slightly better concealment than a Gearing for competitive” ship, not one that is very fun to use. Even Gearing is iffy due to the silly US smoke being so hard to play around, but at least it has guns.

If you don’t have it get Georgia. I’m emphatically not a good battleship player and it’s crazy good.

Oh I have every coal ship worth save Marceau, which I still might get but am not sure if it would fit my playstyle. I don't have Salem but for me that seems like a sidegrade for the DM.

Then again, I have 800k coal and could get both.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I'm having alot of fun in lower tiers! Tier 10, 4 and 9 are the only stinkers right now for me.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Oh I have every coal ship worth save Marceau, which I still might get but am not sure if it would fit my playstyle. I don't have Salem but for me that seems like a sidegrade for the DM.

Then again, I have 800k coal and could get both.

I take it you have been playing non-stop since Coal was a thing? But why are you sitting on 800k? If nothing else you should get the ships just for snowflakes/anniversary containers since there is nothing else you can use it on.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just reading this to see if it's worth jumping back in again....have they changed all the captain skills? WTF is swift fish, Dazzle , Deadeye?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

serious gaylord posted:

IMO World of Warships, right now, is the worst it has ever been. And I don't have much hope of things improving soon.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Aramoro posted:

Just reading this to see if it's worth jumping back in again....have they changed all the captain skills? WTF is swift fish, Dazzle , Deadeye?

Bad, worthless, and destroying the entire game, respectively.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I was playing this every day for several months during covid. I played maybe 3-4x since the captains rework came out. Right now I'm mad I spent as much as I did during the Christmas sales tbh.

Gonna put this one on the back burner until another major set of changes hits it I imagine.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Aramoro posted:

The aim of the skill rework is to let people spec into different architypes. One big problem is that the new skill Deadeye is extremely good and meta defining. It rewards battleships sniping from the backline and most builds are designed to counter that and the incessant fire spam.

There are still some entertaining builds to try and if you get sick of the current high tier meta you can always have fun in the lower tiers.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

That Works posted:

I was playing this every day for several months during covid. I played maybe 3-4x since the captains rework came out. Right now I'm mad I spent as much as I did during the Christmas sales tbh.

Gonna put this one on the back burner until another major set of changes hits it I imagine.

Same :smith:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
If anything, this patch has really shown how essential it was to have cruisers be near caps and assisting DD's. But a lot of cruisers are trying lighthouse builds and are sitting back with BB's because its safer to stack range and use the negative concealment for dpm.
Smoke based cruisers still can push in at least, Minos and Smols can still win a cap with support.
DD play is weird, as there are ton of gunboat DD's around anymore.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Mino is awesome right now, my average damage is down but average kills are up. So many lonely little DDs to be gobbled up with ships 847km away from them

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

I take it you have been playing non-stop since Coal was a thing? But why are you sitting on 800k? If nothing else you should get the ships just for snowflakes/anniversary containers since there is nothing else you can use it on.

This was after buying Yoshino in December. I hold a few hundred thousand in reserve. I need 175k for Jerzy Swirski, then there's whatever new ships come in 2021 that I'd like to have the coal free for.

Yeah, I have been playing for ages and *never* use free xp to skip modules so that combined with playing above average and lucking out on a couple of tier 9s from supercontainers means I'm swimming in coal/free xp.

But also I'm not buying ships that are very close to tech tree ships unless they're really interesting. If Black is brought back for Coal I might get it. Unsure about this meta right now too, makes me hesitant to buy anything until this poo poo gets fixed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Blindeye posted:

Unsure about this meta right now too, makes me hesitant to buy anything until this poo poo gets fixed.

Could you swap yourself in for Deadeye please. "You cannot see targets outside your concealment range" perhaps

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Does anyone have any thoughts on Agir in general but specifically after the rework?

Closing in on 1m FXP, and already have Alaska and Smaland.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Pre-rework, it was a tough opponent in 3v3 clan battles because it had long hydro + torpedoes, both of which were very valuable in that context. In pubs it's never made much of an impression on me.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So a couple days ago I got a Viribus Unitis out of a container. I didn't even know that was a ship (nor that Austro-Hungarian ships were a thing) until then. It's... ok? Hull is kind of fragile in terms of HP and AA is practically worthless, but the guns are pretty good. I'm winning a pretty decent amount with it and it's not aggressively unenjoyable to play.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It is, or was, the absolute worst ship at T5.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Preechr posted:

It is, or was, the absolute worst ship at T5.

That's saying something considering the Emerald exists, but I've managed a 58% win rate in that, so maybe I am just a terrible ship savant or something.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Between the Mutsuki, T-22, Emerald, Hawkins, Mikoyan, and Yahagi there's no shortage of terrible tier 5 ships. I vote for the Oklahoma though, not because it's necessarily the worst ship but because someone at Wargaming must have thought "what if we gave the New York 38 second reload and less penetration than a zao" :iiam:

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

James Garfield posted:

Between the Mutsuki, T-22, Emerald, Hawkins, Mikoyan, and Yahagi there's no shortage of terrible tier 5 ships. I vote for the Oklahoma though, not because it's necessarily the worst ship but because someone at Wargaming must have thought "what if we gave the New York 38 second reload and less penetration than a zao" :iiam:

Oklahoma has great secondaries but terrible speed. It makes it a very unforgiving ship. I like playing it hugging islands where you can peek out to blap ships with an impressive broadside or wait out the enemy to push or hide out when getting HE or torp spammed. It's not very good in open waters or at range ( the shells have awful krupp value and terrible pen ).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWSkfGG6V4

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

James Garfield posted:

Yeah, I still think the Emerald is better than some people give it, partly due to the fact that it has disengagement options, and the torpedo load is very powerful. I think the skill ceiling is higher than most people rate it, but the skill floor is way higher than most are willing to tolerate.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I logged back in and my captains all have a bunch of totally random skills mastered. What the hell is going on.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Aramoro posted:

I logged back in and my captains all have a bunch of totally random skills mastered. What the hell is going on.

Lmao welcome to hell. When they reworked the captain skills they reassigned your skill points on the basis of their incredibly lovely recommended skills! And now the free respec period is over!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You're, uh, 2 days too late.

When they did the skill rework, instead of just resetting the skill trees they instead reassigned your points automatically based on "recommended skills" based on your previous selection(you can guess how good the algorithm for that was).

You COULD however dig through their website to find a page with the option to just reset all your captain skill trees... but that offer expired on Wednesday.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lord Koth posted:

You're, uh, 2 days too late.

When they did the skill rework, instead of just resetting the skill trees they instead reassigned your points automatically based on "recommended skills" based on your previous selection(you can guess how good the algorithm for that was).

You COULD however dig through their website to find a page with the option to just reset all your captain skill trees... but that offer expired on Wednesday.

This is an extremely dick move, even for WG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

wdarkk posted:

This is an extremely dick move, even for WG.

It's a good thing no one forces you to play (or even worse: pay) for the game :v: