Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

TheAardvark posted:

I think this is the right thread to ask:

what are the moral ramifications of eating sour cream straight out of the container?

if you can sub greek yogurt for sour cream surely it works the other way around, so it's basically health food, you're good

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Actually it owns and so do they.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Schubalts posted:

It looks like squeezing liquid soap or clear lotion onto your food.

Corn syrup was what came to mind, right before I started gagging. Somewhere in the America someone is probably actually putting pure corn syrup on their food.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or Korea, the way I hear it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not sure why this was a still image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0sjRG34DlA

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RIP true player Phil Hartman...This era of SNL was so good, esp for the spoof commercials.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

.Z. posted:

Corn syrup was what came to mind, right before I started gagging. Somewhere in the America someone is probably actually putting pure corn syrup on their food.

Corn syrup on pancakes/waffles was how my dad rolled if he made them and we were out of syrup.

I was not a fan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LadyPictureShow posted:

Corn syrup on pancakes/waffles was how my dad rolled if he made them and we were out of syrup.

I was not a fan.

I never knew what real syrup was until I was an adult and could spend the extra couple of bucks on my own syrup. My mom is notoriously cheap, so it was always "Maple flavored" syrup.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I never knew what real syrup was until I was an adult and could spend the extra couple of bucks on my own syrup. My mom is notoriously cheap, so it was always "Maple flavored" syrup.

I used to make homemade bread, toast it, put peanut butter on it, dip that into the most expensive maple syrup I could buy...god tier snack.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Over here we only really do golden syrup, refiners syrup? And you can buy maple syrup too I guess but it's not super commonly used I think.

I always wonder what the point of comparison is when people say corn syrup or molasses, I think molasses is like black treacle which is kind of a speciality cooking ingredient and very bitter. Makes nice toffee though.

Golden syrup is incredible though, like I could eat spoonfuls of that stuff until I died (which would probably be very quickly)

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Apr 29, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The only syrup I knew as a kid growing up in East Germany was ... molasses. My grandma would feed us heavy rye bread with molasses on top. It wasn't terrible.
The other option was Schmalz (duck fat?) which is actually great on toasted rye bread.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was not a fan.

Neither am I, but I can understand that.

I just meant there are probably people out there putting corn syrup on mashed potatoes and such.

Remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

I used to make homemade bread, toast it, put peanut butter on it, dip that into the most expensive maple syrup I could buy...god tier snack.

Mix a tbsp of peanut butter with maple syrup and microwave for 10 seconds. Mix well and pour over pancakes/waffles. Your welcome.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

Mix a tbsp of peanut butter with maple syrup and microwave for 10 seconds. Mix well and pour over pancakes/waffles. Your welcome.

You have titillated my senses with your proposal.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

You have titillated my senses with your proposal.

This was my go-to instead of just syrup when we had waffles growing up

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Goons, I'm going to sous vide for the first time, wish me luck

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

This was my go-to instead of just syrup when we had waffles growing up

You reminded me of a picture I took long ago...I did used to eat peanut butter on waffles, with fruit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

You reminded me of a picture I took long ago...I did used to eat peanut butter on waffles, with fruit.

Remind me to come over for breakfast if we survive the 'rona

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

not the best execution of a chilly cheese dog, but w/e

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's like... uncooked batter on toast...

With tuna in.

Sorry warm uncooked batter.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Béchamel sauce and tuna on toast.

He's probably really proud of that.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I thought the roux part was supposed to be equal parts flour and butter. Guy really anted up the butter part.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Politicians will always be lovely about food, because they need to try to emulate low-class cooking to maintain a more relatable appeal, but they also need to avoid looking either ethnic or actually lower class to avoid alienating their elite backers.

And if you want to be generous, a lot of the high-powered politicians probably don't even know how to make their own food from being wealthy, successful and constantly surrounded by support staff, or married to full-time homemakers, so they never had to fend for themselves, since they always could rely on other people giving them food.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought you were supposed to cook the flour to make a roux or something, not just dump it in the mix and warm it up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I thought you were supposed to cook the flour to make a roux or something, not just dump it in the mix and warm it up.

Depends on what you want to get out of it but afaik "roux" is just flour and a liquid fat, usually butter, saying nothing about cooked it is. For darker sauces (ie meat gravies, anything cajun) I think you absolutely want to brown the roux for more flavour. Lighter colored sauces eg your bechamels, your alfredo sauces, whatevs, keep it light. Just melt the butter, add flour when it stops bubbling, and boom there's your roux. Or, y'know, don't listen to me, experiment! I'm not a food cop.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Phy posted:

Depends on what you want to get out of it but afaik "roux" is just flour and a liquid fat, usually butter, saying nothing about cooked it is. For darker sauces (ie meat gravies, anything cajun) I think you absolutely want to brown the roux for more flavour. Lighter colored sauces eg your bechamels, your alfredo sauces, whatevs, keep it light. Just melt the butter, add flour when it stops bubbling, and boom there's your roux. Or, y'know, don't listen to me, experiment! I'm not a food cop.

You had me up til there. You gotta cook the flour for a few minutes to cook that gritty, lovely flour flavor off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I was under the impression that was why you cooked it because otherwise it's literally just cake batter. Which is not necessarily an unpleasant flavour but I don't think it would be an appropriate texture for a sauce.

And I definitely wouldn't eat it on toast either way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Goons, I'm going to sous vide for the first time, wish me luck

Good luck. Whatcha makin?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zipperelli. posted:

You had me up til there. You gotta cook the flour for a few minutes to cook that gritty, lovely flour flavor off.

Well, I'll give it a try next time I need a blond roux, just at lower temperatures so I don't brown the sucker. I'd thought the purpose of the roux was mainly so you had your thickening agent (the flour) premixed with a fat so it didn't get all clumpy when you introduced it to your other liquids, I wasn't aware you could cook off the flouriness.

e: and you don't just eat a roux, even Senator Chuckles up there is adding milk to make it a sauce. A bland-rear end sauce.

Phy has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Apr 30, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Good luck. Whatcha makin?

I made a sirloin and it was pretty good. Probably the best indoor home steak I've ever had but I can still improve it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's poo poo on a shingle with loving tuna instead of beef.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like the lack of quantity for milk, so "continue adding milk until sauce thickens" is like ... ummm I keep pouring it in but it just seems to get thinner

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I made "pie"

It's the leftovers from making 2 pies actually...

Decidedly not AFP

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

dog nougat posted:

I made "pie"

It's the leftovers from making 2 pies actually...

Decidedly not AFP

tasteful lattice-work

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TotalLossBrain posted:

The only syrup I knew as a kid growing up in East Germany was ... molasses. My grandma would feed us heavy rye bread with molasses on top. It wasn't terrible.
The other option was Schmalz (duck fat?) which is actually great on toasted rye bread.

Are you a hundred years old?

e: Oh, EAST Germany. I guess that explains it.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

this is like creamed chipped beef, but with tuna, of which my mom would make both, and now I desparately want, thanks :mad:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I made chicken alfredo tonight, and cooking the roux (on low) did make it smoother, and the end sauce noticeably less gritty! Didn't notice if it was less floury tasting, but an improvement's an improvement. Thanks goons!

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

shouldn't that say in/en copo, since that "hot-dog" (Brazillian for hot dog) is clearly served inside a copo (Brazillian for cup)?

???

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TotalLossBrain posted:

The only syrup I knew as a kid growing up in East Germany was ... molasses.
I think molasses is the stuff that's called treacle here? And if that's the case it's the only kind of syrup worth having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's specifically this:

Treacle is apparently made from sugar cane, while GOLDSAFT is made from sugar beets. GOLDSAFT is the poo poo. GOLDSAFT for baking. GOLDSAFT on your bread. PUT THE GOLDEN JUICE ON EVERYTHING.

Yeah, it's pretty good, but an acquired taste I think.