Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
To be honest, philosophical seems like it fits perfectly? Or sanguine,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is there a way to physically locate a wireless AP?

e: from its signal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tight aspirations posted:

Is there a way to physically locate a wireless AP?

e: from its signal.

Yes, you can triangulate the position with careful signal strength measurements from multiple directions. The easiest way these days is to run a wifi signal strength measuring app on a smartphone, and to simply walk around with it with the network you're interested in highlighted.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

DXM is legit as a cough suppressant, but if you're having hallucinations, you're taking too much.

Even if you're taking the amount your healthcare professional told you to take, that's still too much for you to be taking.

In my case it was just an accident. I was sick and lost track of how many I'd taken.

In the middle of the horrors I had a moment of clarity and solved a dumb work problem though. And it was nice to return to reality a few hours later. The world is wonderful.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Do fidget spinners lose more energy from friction if you hold it perpendicular to the ground, or parallel?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to hang a ~5 lb walnut fixture to a concrete wall, without drilling or other "damaging" mounting system?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to hang a ~5 lb walnut fixture to a concrete wall, without drilling or other "damaging" mounting system?

Wires down from the ceiling? Any molding to to hang from?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

PRADA SLUT posted:

Really strong glue? or maybe some double sided tape rated for 10+ lbs.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Is there a thread for general home/decorating advice? I'm not sure what to do with our living room. The TV stand doesn't fit on the mantle, so we're going to get it mounted on the wall, preferably with one that allows us to lower the TV closer to eye level. The closest outlet is on the adjacent wall, so we might try installing a new outlet as well. We eventually plan on getting some small speakers too. How much does it usually cost to have an electrician install an outlet and route some cables?

Also, I'm not a fan of the grey shades, and I'd like to get some curtains. Any ideas as to what colors will work, or where I can go for ideas?

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 13, 2017

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

504 posted:

Kid is a magic one that is no issue. Looking for girt ideas that aren't more jewellery or chocolates.

Perfumes that won't break the bank but are extremely good imo:

A vanilla perfume: Let Them Eat Cake
https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Tokyo-Milk-Parfumarie-Curiosite/Let-Them-Eat-Cake-4698.html

A chocolate cakey type perfume: Bittersweet. [discontinued maybe? Not sure.]
https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Tokyo-Milk-Parfumarie-Curiosite/Bittersweet-13155.html

You can probably find them in a local Sephora store. Maybe call the store ahead of time, or go in person to ask a lady to help you pick a perfume. I have TM's Tainted Love and I super love it. https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Tokyo-Milk-Parfumarie-Curiosite/Tainted-Love-13161.html

There's also the brand Nest, which you might be able to find in a local Sephora, and is pretty great. I've got Midnight Fleur which is kind of apples, spice and fig, and Amazon Lily which is, you guessed it, lily scented. Nest isn't so food-like in scents, but they're good products that I'm still very happy about laying down the dosh for.

You could also ask around in the Cosmetics/Make up thread in YLLS as that's populated more by women than the YLLS colone/perfume thread. IMO, anyways, I don't keep track of the cologne thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

RobotDogPolice posted:

Is there a thread for general home/decorating advice? I'm not sure what to do with our living room. The TV stand doesn't fit on the mantle, so we're going to get it mounted on the wall, preferably with one that allows us to lower the TV closer to eye level. The closest outlet is on the adjacent wall, so we might try installing a new outlet as well. We eventually plan on getting some small speakers too. How much does it usually cost to have an electrician install an outlet and route some cables?

Also, I'm not a fan of the grey shades, and I'd like to get some curtains. Any ideas as to what colors will work, or where I can go for ideas?

A new interior design thread was just started a few days ago, by veterans of the forums-famous "complete bathroom overhaul" thread, the one with the compromised floor joists.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

A new interior design thread was just started a few days ago, by veterans of the forums-famous "complete bathroom overhaul" thread, the one with the compromised floor joists.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901

Wonderful, thank you!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vegetable posted:

What's the word to use when somebody is more relaxed, more zen about something. Like: "he was XX about it." I'm thinking of a word that's like "philosophical" but that's not it.

Sanguine works, and has the distinction of also meaning "bloody" depending on context.

e;f,b

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Vegetable posted:

What's the word to use when somebody is more relaxed, more zen about something. Like: "he was XX about it." I'm thinking of a word that's like "philosophical" but that's not it.

Other suggestions have been good, maybe also "stoic" if he was calm, rational, and unemotional about something

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would use nonchalant.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Quick, short question not deserving its own thread:

M2A1 ammo cans: On and around the latch for these things, there's a strange loop and a stranger hole. Also, there's some sort of panel on the can itself, underneath the latch when sealed, which has a much larger hole in it. This hole leads nowhere at all. Also, the latch has a sort of lip which fits perfectly inside the loop.

But why?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pursesnatcher posted:

M2A1 ammo cans: On and around the latch for these things, there's a strange loop and a stranger hole. Also, there's some sort of panel on the can itself, underneath the latch when sealed, which has a much larger hole in it. This hole leads nowhere at all. Also, the latch has a sort of lip which fits perfectly inside the loop.

But why?

I'd go to The Firing Range and ask in their general questions thread. Lots of people in there know all sorts of esoteric things about military designs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315237&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pursesnatcher posted:

But why?

It can be used to lock the can with a padlock. They also come with tagged wire seals when new and that threads through there, IIRC. I couldn't actually find a picture of the seal to confirm that's the hole you're taking about, but I remember the wire seals around the latches.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I assume I should look somewhere in the Business, Finance, and Careers subforum, but it's so sprawling I'm not sure where to start...

I'm a US citizen working as an English teacher. I'm interested in a career shift into IT and living in an EU country (possibly studying the trade there if it's not a bank-breaker). I would like to bring my wife (a Korean national) with me, of course.

Are there any good resources/threads to tell us it's a terrible idea for advice on what we're trying to do?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

To be honest, philosophical seems like it fits perfectly? Or sanguine,
My question truly belongs in this thread because I was stupid

I was, in fact, thinking of "philosophical." You're right.

Sorry guys

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mr. Belpit posted:

I assume I should look somewhere in the Business, Finance, and Careers subforum, but it's so sprawling I'm not sure where to start...

I'm a US citizen working as an English teacher. I'm interested in a career shift into IT and living in an EU country (possibly studying the trade there if it's not a bank-breaker). I would like to bring my wife (a Korean national) with me, of course.

Are there any good resources/threads to tell us it's a terrible idea for advice on what we're trying to do?

The respective LAN threads for each country are probably your best bet.

Ireland is the most welcoming country towards non-EU citizens, but Brexit may gently caress that up. Education will be expensive wherever you go.

In general, at least one of you will need to already have an education and a job lined up to get a residency permit.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There have also been occasional threads in Tourism & Travel but like Fruits of the Sea said, in general, countries are not keen on giving someone who hasn't paid taxes access to their subsidised education system just so they can take a job away from someone who has.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

RobotDogPolice posted:

Mantelmount.com. Expensive but the mount is baller af.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

uwaeve posted:

Mantelmount.com. Expensive but the mount is baller af.

I wish everyone I know with a fireplace had one of these. I hate going to peoples houses and watching movies 10 feet in the air.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

bongwizzard posted:

Wires down from the ceiling? Any molding to to hang from?

Concrete ceiling as well. I'm figuring out if I can stick some Nelson sconces above a bed on a concrete wall. No other mounting options. They normally mount with a screw in through the back.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I wash my kitchen knives without destroying my wash cloth in the process? I mean, I just bought a new one ~4 months ago and it's already got a couple holes in it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

How can I wash my kitchen knives without destroying my wash cloth in the process? I mean, I just bought a new one ~4 months ago and it's already got a couple holes in it.

Scrub from the top of the knife down to the edge?

It only takes a little soap and water to get most of the gunk off. If you have cheese residue consider that oils have been traditionally recommended to preserve steel. If you somehow manage to get a little cheddar on your knife, not wash it off and then it goes rancid somehow, congratulations you have a forum upgrade check your messages.

But seriously, how poo poo are your wash cloths? Because a decent one can rub up against the blade for a while before you get a nick in it, and then are you talking about wash cloths for display purposes?

If one lasts 4 months that's pretty good anyways, find a cheaper source for them if it becomes a problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Don't cut the washcloth?

Imagine you have to rub a knife with your hand without getting cut. Now do that except with a soapy cloth in your hand.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He has trouble holding the washcloth correctly because he already cut his hands off in a similar incident.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a home automation megathread? I poked through DIY and didn't see anything, but I may have overlooked it.

Barring a thread, any opinions about home automation and the various brands involved? I'm interested in getting some basic security and safety stuff (cameras, CO2/natural gas detectors) and having them somehow hooked into my phone. If there are some cheap and easy light switches I can throw in there as well, all the better but not necessary. However I don't want Amazon (or whoever) listening to every conversation.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tuyop posted:

Don't cut the washcloth?

Imagine you have to rub a knife with your hand without getting cut. Now do that except with a soapy cloth in your hand.

I've been holding the cloth in a wad and running it along the blade. I guess from the spine to the blade is better, thanks.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Pinch around the spine and rub a washcloth or sponge over it without hitting the blade directly on, and then if the blade needs more, rub the side of the blade against the washcloth opposite the edge, like sharpening it in reverse.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Is there a home automation megathread? I poked through DIY and didn't see anything, but I may have overlooked it.

Barring a thread, any opinions about home automation and the various brands involved? I'm interested in getting some basic security and safety stuff (cameras, CO2/natural gas detectors) and having them somehow hooked into my phone. If there are some cheap and easy light switches I can throw in there as well, all the better but not necessary. However I don't want Amazon (or whoever) listening to every conversation.

My opinion is that you lived perfectly well up till now without this stuff, and you can expect to live perfectly well forever more without it.

Some things I can see being nice to automate are like, a coffee maker or kettle, but in those cases a $6 outlet timer (or a model with a timer) is actually better than a wifi outlet because it isn't a security nightmare, doesn't require any lovely configuration or maintenance beyond the 10 minutes to arrange some pins, and has no weird privacy concerns from someone trying to monetize you.

I get it, I also really want to love the internet of trash too and look at my house while I'm away, but I think it would just introduce stress without any added benefit. Somehow I haven't died without a wifi gas detector and neither did any of my ancestors up to now, so I think it's reasonable to expect that I'll be fine without spending hundreds of dollars, and the things I should worry about won't be corrected by some new product.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kedo posted:

There's one in IYG
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

Somehow I haven't died without a wifi gas detector and neither did any of my ancestors up to now

Pretty much all of my ancestors are dead now and they didn't have wifi gas detectors so YMMV.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Concrete ceiling as well. I'm figuring out if I can stick some Nelson sconces above a bed on a concrete wall. No other mounting options. They normally mount with a screw in through the back.

If you got some more money, find a welder (check out art schools for sculpture students) to make you some uprights out of like 1/4" steel or Al box tube. Done well it will match the aesthetic of the lamps and the baseplates can be hid under the bedframe.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is plasma made of? Like I've heard of PLasma Rifles in video games / sci-fi , but it doesn't make sense to shoot super heated blood, am I over thinking this?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm much of the same opinion but I want to know what's out there anyhow. Thanks for the link!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turtlicious posted:

What is plasma made of? Like I've heard of PLasma Rifles in video games / sci-fi , but it doesn't make sense to shoot super heated blood, am I over thinking this?

Plasma is the state of matter beyond gas, usually in situations of high heat and pressure. It can be made out of any element or combination.

On modern earth, we can only reliably generate the plasma state for prolonged periods with noble gas elements like neon, argon, etc, like in neon signs and plasma tvs. Otherwise, it'll form in fusion reactors, on spacecraft reentering the atmosphere, other short term stuff like that. Lightning forms temporary plasma and so other high power electric events.

Stars are mostly matter in the plasma state, and most of that will be hydrogen or helium. But can be any element up to uranium in large and end of life cycle stars.

In sci fi, plasma weapons are usually meant to be from a fusion source, like in a reactor or in a star. So you might expect them to have the plasma made of hydrogen or helium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Like fishmech said, it's basically the next state after gas, in terms of energy. On the atomic scale, it's electrons and the atoms that have been stripped of them, due to the high energy.

Blood plasma isn't actually plasma, idk why it's called that.