Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what does that org even do now that tort reform passed in texas ages ago? beyond trying to bring down the attorney general i guess

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1668709954914484224

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
High temps in summer? If only we could’ve prepared for this somehow

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's spring

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Loving our grid independence from the rest of the US. Glad that's such a high priority for this state.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Loving our grid independence from the rest of the US. Glad that's such a high priority for this state.

That middle finger to FDR is incredibly important to Texas' state identity.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/fredcantu/status/1668568193349087232

Like I know this has no chance of happening because it's so loving ridiculous, but I hold just enough cynicism to feel that Biden won't mention it at all or do anything to stop it.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This is unlikely to even make a blip on bigger news stations.

https://twitter.com/Imposter_Edits/status/1668843644151906305?s=20

What a shithole state.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1668971318409134082

quote:

A primary between Allred and Gutierrez has the potential to turn negative. A Gutierrez consultant has already been quoted in the media criticizing Allred over his cross-party appeals, suggesting he is running as “Republican-light.” Allred’s campaign has said his focus is on beating Cruz.
The scenario is reminiscent of the 2020 Democratic primary for U.S. Senate when MJ Hegar ran a November-focused campaign and still could not avoid a messy fight with state Sen. Royce West of Dallas, who questioned her Democratic credentials.

Oh good the Dallas and Bexar Co. Dem parties are ready to go to war. Again. Also I hope all those stories citing unnamed Democratic sources and lawmakers calling Gutierrez a psychotic self promoter who was just using the Uvalde families as campaign props are not correct. Also, "Republican-lite" is probably a better strategy for the general than "every single thing I say or do entails gun control"

quote:

The operatives who joined Lose Cruz bring recent experience in high-profile statewide campaigns. Haynes, the effort’s founder, worked for the past two Democratic nominees for attorney general, while Rahman worked for O’Rourke when he ran for governor last year and previously worked for the state Democratic Party.

Hackett, meanwhile, is best known for working for Julián Castro, the former U.S. housing secretary and San Antonio mayor, when he ran for president in 2020. Julianna is an abortion rights activist with a massive social media following, including nearly 386,000 followers on Twitter, and Angle is a veteran party strategist who currently runs the Lone Star Project, a Democratic research group.

sigh

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 14, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

9 straight days of 100+ degree weather forecast in houston starting thursday. great!!! love it brother.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

9 straight days of 100+ degree weather forecast in houston starting thursday. great!!! love it brother.

Soak, then roast, is not a bad way to make ribs though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

May not be a bad idea to replace your AC filters now if you're close to being due - put a little less stress on your HVAC system when it's going to start running full tilt.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Wasn't there an article that said that we could soon expect 300 days of summer temps thanks to CC/GW?

In other words, the whole state becomes the Valley :getin:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
*laughs* Another Scorcher!

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Sardonik posted:

*laughs* Another Scorcher!

*stares at her dumbfuck GOP-voting husband and questions every life decision that has led her to this moment*

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

IT BURNS posted:

Wasn't there an article that said that we could soon expect 300 days of summer temps thanks to CC/GW?

In other words, the whole state becomes the Valley :getin:

Thanks for reminding me I need to give 500 Days of Summer another watch.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally met glenn for .25 seconds at an ice cream social. he seems normal

SyRauk posted:

*stares at her dumbfuck GOP-voting husband and questions every life decision that has led her to this moment*

lol drat

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SyRauk posted:

That's rough, buddy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the southern Baptist convention just ejected saddleback, Rick Warren's church, for having women in leadership

edit lmao, but I had no idea the leopards eating faces church would eat MY face

quote:

“No one is asking any Southern Baptist to change their theology,” Mr. Warren said. “I am not asking you to agree with our church. I am asking you to act like Southern Baptists who have historically ‘agreed to disagree’ on dozens of doctrines in order to share a common mission.”

He noted that the denomination’s theological statement is 4,032 words long. “Saddleback disagrees with one word,” he said. “That’s 99.99999999 percent in agreement! Isn’t that close enough?”

The crowd shouted back at him, “No!”

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 14, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Isn't the SBC still under investigation for the sex abuse stuff?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah besides the two churches ejected for the above reason, there was another that was ejected for not complying with a sex abuse investigation. so they're trying a little I guess

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Dameius posted:

That's rough, buddy.

That's the updated commercial for modern times if made by the Jon Oliver Show people.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Normally, I'd say that keeping Paxton's trial in Houston is a positive thing. However, at the rate this trial is progressing Houston might be underwater before it actually starts...

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1668995963522777091?s=20

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

In other news, Abbot is threatening to start vetoing if the House and Senate can't agree on a property tax cut.

Texas Tribune posted:

“As we get closer and closer to this Sunday, all of these bills that have yet to be signed face the possibility — if not the probability — that they’re going to be vetoed,” Abbott told reporters Wednesday afternoon during a bill-signing ceremony at the Capitol. He later doubled down, saying he “can’t ensure that any bill that has not yet been signed is going to be signed.”

The special session has been dragging on amid the traditional bill-signing period that follows every regular session. Abbott can sign or veto bills by Sunday — or do nothing and let them become law anyway.

Since last Monday, Abbott has signed only 10 Senate bills, compared with 450 House bills, according to legislative records. There are 240 Senate bills awaiting action by the governor, compared with 108 House bills. One of those House bills is the budget, which Abbott has said he will sign.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

feels like the emptiest threat ever? maybe THIS is the time he finally convinces everyone he's not a rino culture war poseur whose heart isn't really in it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also he doesn't have to sign them to become law, he has to straight up veto them

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

zoux posted:

Also he doesn't have to sign them to become law, he has to straight up veto them

That's what he's threatening to do...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

That's what he's threatening to do...

there's some nuance; texas doesn't have a pocket veto, which is the coward's way out. anything vetoed will get a big spotlight and piss someone important off

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I swear if this bitch takes it out on the Senate by vetoing the paid parental leave for state workers bill. It's worth nearly $12,000 in pay for my family if we have another kid.

I hate politics.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/14/abbott-sends-migrants-to-los-angeles-00102076

finally LA will learn about immigrants

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Burrows4TX/status/1669336726412591104

Reacting to this like the cop in Big Lebowski 'Oh yeah I heard they cut rents across the board. They're bringing in new tax assessor collectors. They got us working in shifts!"

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 15, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rent only ever increases because of supply chain covid liberals california

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aligned over the czech stop

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"Property tax increases are capped but rents can only increase proportionally" would be a fun voluntary rent control program.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The way I look at it is Patrick has targeted his bill to just homeowners which are the only people he cares about. The house bill is old school Texas corporate politics, but has a benefit of a year over year cap which has the possibility of slowing rent increases whereas the senate bill does not.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

aligned over the czech stop

europe is such a fake place

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

The way I look at it is Patrick has targeted his bill to just homeowners which are the only people he cares about. The house bill is old school Texas corporate politics, but has a benefit of a year over year cap which has the possibility of slowing rent increases whereas the senate bill does not.

you can make the case for caps for residential buildings but applying it to all business property is insane

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
RIP small government.

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1669345238140485632

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

i say swears online posted:

you can make the case for caps for residential buildings but applying it to all business property is insane

Yeah - that should be the final end result - you have the caps for non-homestead residential and commercial multifamily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

Yeah - that should be the final end result - you have the caps for non-homestead residential and commercial multifamily.

that would still encompass vacation homes unless you had some way to confirm it was being rented