Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iospace posted:

Car drivers in a nutshell.

OK fine gently caress car drivers because they're mostly just terrible but whose loving idiotic idea was it to put an at-level train track down a street? Or to put a street along a train track? Whichever came first, the second one should not have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

OK fine gently caress car drivers because they're mostly just terrible but whose loving idiotic idea was it to put an at-level train track down a street? Or to put a street along a train track? Whichever came first, the second one should not have.

Usual answer: the town grew around the railway because it was the loving railway, man!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
rich new yorkers actually built their palaces with ramps so they could roll greasily from one feast, into the tube, and be pneumatically lifted via steam operated escape shaft back into their next banquet.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Street-running train tracks weren’t really a problem before there were assloads of cars on every street as it turns out.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
For a brief moment, between the invention of the train and the invention of the car, man and machine lived in perfect harmony. There were no accidents whatsoever.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Ah yes because that's what I meant and not that personal automobiles take up a poo poo ton more space in the street than pedestrians and the odd horse cart.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

corgski posted:

Ah yes because that's what I meant and not that personal automobiles take up a poo poo ton more space in the street than pedestrians and the odd horse cart.

The horseshit took up a lot of room in the street.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

corgski posted:

... the odd horse cart.

Ahh yes, the odd, rare horse cart you might see one or twice a day.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

How about you share a picture of the sort of town where there actually were freight tracks in the street instead of the busiest street in NYC.

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 14, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Busiest street in the city? But I didn't post a pic of your moms bedroom.

:iceburn: :master:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

E: nvm

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://youtu.be/d1ilzk_uOAo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Eh, don't know how to get this to post directly in mobile

Ohio highways are action-packed today https://imgur.com/gallery/Wx3Izik

starkebn fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 14, 2019

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Always a fun time watching someone watch/film crashes on the highway from the safety and comfort of their driver’s seat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNT9campEhQ

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Usual answer: the town grew around the railway because it was the loving railway, man!

Yeah but you don't need to make the main road run concurrent with the railway.

Here's a random town I chose in western Victoria, Kaniva. Yellow is the railway, red is the highway and main road that was put through afterwards. The railway went through this area in 1885, and every road around it was either built next to it or has a bridge going over it.

It doesn't seem that hard?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
why did canada make a railway to a city sized for ants?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

why did canada make a railway to a city sized for ants?

Australia?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Why did Canada build a railway to Australia?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mineral extraction.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

So, why would someone remove the thingy?

Look, someone removed it about 5 years ago and it got lost ok? So far nothing bad happened so it wasn't really necessary anyway! Now get to work cutting that wood or are you some kind of pussy?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I love DNE but I'm having trouble with his podcasts because his perfectly fine co-hosts just go off on tangents for 75% of the run time.
It's the reason I love them

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yes, then spend almost fifty minutes talking about the boat in the fifty minute long video about the boat.
I jumped around and listened to a minute here and a minute there and I only found one place where they actually talked about the accident, everything else was verbal shitposting or going off on tangents.

This is why I don't like podcasts. If I wanted to listen to people ramble on and never get to the point I'll just go to the pub.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's way better if you just chill out and treat it like a skate class where the teacher bullshits with the A students while you're playing Sonic Advance on GBA.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

woops

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

If it weren't for the few scattered concrete blocks to the right of the truck, and the broken parts of the wall on the top left, this scene almost looks completely fine; I'd think I was just looking at a building that had a truck-sized doggy door where they just plow through and it opens upward to let them pass.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Memento posted:

Yeah but you don't need to make the main road run concurrent with the railway.

Here's a random town I chose in western Victoria, Kaniva. Yellow is the railway, red is the highway and main road that was put through afterwards. The railway went through this area in 1885, and every road around it was either built next to it or has a bridge going over it.

It doesn't seem that hard?

According to posters in the Canadian Debt Thread, half the buses in Canada run on a one-way loop so "doesn't seem that hard" isn't something I would get too caught up on when it comes to planning things relating to towns and transport.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Difficulty in planning isn't really ever the reason for bad transit in North America, it's usually hostility to the idea of public transportation in general. Car culture is super deeply ingrained and there is very rarely any budget being made available for people who ride transit (ie poor people, the disabled, people who give a poo poo about the environment, etc).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there anywhere detailing how hosed Venice is with the ongoing flooding? Apart from the tourist spots.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Difficulty in planning isn't really ever the reason for bad transit in North America, it's usually hostility to the idea of public transportation in general. Car culture is super deeply ingrained and there is very rarely any budget being made available for people who ride transit (ie poor people, the disabled, people who give a poo poo about the environment, etc).

Yeah "culture" aka lobbying from car companies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there anywhere detailing how hosed Venice is with the ongoing flooding? Apart from the tourist spots.

I refer you to the documentary "Erik the Viking"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IBnfkcrsM

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

LifeSunDeath posted:

That's a bunch of hot nonsense. It's absolutely cultural.

Look at the Facebook comments on anything bike infra-related on your local newspaper.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LifeSunDeath posted:

And buying and dismantling of buses, cable cars, etc...

Judge Doom's plan in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was a thing that really happened, though with slightly less anvil dropping.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Guardian is on the Venice flooding.

Venice council flooded moments after rejecting climate crisis plan

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/15/venice-council-flooded-moments-after-rejecting-climate-crisis-plan

quote:

Veneto’s regional council rejected a plan to combat climate change minutes before its offices on the Grand Canal, in Venice, were flooded, it has emerged as the city continues to battle high water levels.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Boogalo posted:

Here's an educational and also thread favorite video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4

I love that guy's honesty. It was a big part in why I ended up buying a saw stop.
Edit: well that and this:

AFewBricksShy posted:

Are we still doing pictures of stupid self inflicted injuries?

Here's one of the main reasons I decided to get a saw stop.

It's out of focus (sorry, it was taken with an old phone 8 years ago) but this was a result of me pretty much punching a table saw blade. I had my hand on a piece of wood above the blade, the blade kicked the wood out and my knuckles went right into the blade. Luckily I had a fence set up about 1" away from the blade so they only glanced across it.

16 stitches, no tendon or bone damage at all. I was lucky as poo poo, as well as loving stupid as poo poo. I could see the knuckle in my middle finger. That was pretty hosed up.

I'm WAY safer with my tools now, but as I'm trying to get my daughter interested in wood working as well, I figured I'd get the saw stop to reduce some of the danger anyway.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 15, 2019

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

pseudorandom posted:

If it weren't for the few scattered concrete blocks to the right of the truck, and the broken parts of the wall on the top left, this scene almost looks completely fine; I'd think I was just looking at a building that had a truck-sized doggy door where they just plow through and it opens upward to let them pass.

I thought they were stairs the truck had backed into. Then I realized it was a dump truck.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yes, it's loving "cultural."

Cops literally will not stop for pedestrians in "right of way" crosswalks. They won't issue tickets for people breaking that law either. Ever.

The ONLY time cops stop for people in a crosswalk is when they've pre-arranged for a television station to film them.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

LifeSunDeath posted:

Um I mean we both know that North American culture is decided entirely by who can lobby for their poo poo most effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

MisterOblivious posted:

Yes, it's loving "cultural."

Cops literally will not stop for pedestrians in "right of way" crosswalks. They won't issue tickets for people breaking that law either. Ever.

The ONLY time cops stop for people in a crosswalk is when they've pre-arranged for a television station to film them.

I almost got run over by a cop turning left on a red while another cop across the street watched and laughed.
Can confirm.