Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kiryu learned a thing or two from corvo after seeing him leap from the top of a five-story building and slam someone’s skull into concrete pavement at terminal velocity, non-lethally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8o2yq2sA2g

You gotta watch the in fight video. The Voldo fighting style sold me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Canonically Date is only 4 years older than Kiryu but he looks like 10 years older

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

vyst posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8o2yq2sA2g

You gotta watch the in fight video. The Voldo fighting style sold me

That is loving hilarious.

Reminder people killed the Lego MMO because every submission had to be reviewed to make a child never saw a penis.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really love the dude's narration with the heroic orchestral music blaring in the back more than the fighting clips. His delivery is so good.

Full length. Full length.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am equal parts happy and shocked that Rage 2 is a thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why everyone hate the dark souls remaster? It's gonna be my first real time through it unless this thread talks me out of it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Why everyone hate the dark souls remaster? It's gonna be my first real time through it unless this thread talks me out of it

I think people are just annoyed it's an upscale with no major changes

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

I am equal parts happy and shocked that Rage 2 is a thing.

Lotta people bitching about the trailer, but I enjoyed it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

beep by grandpa posted:

"Hate" might be too much of a strong word, but it's a highly unnecessary and very lackluster remaster. The only Pro is that there's a Switch version.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I imagine stuff like the crash and spyro remakes have colored people's expectations. not particularly surprising if they just upres'd it tho

even if all they did was up the resolution, it's still the best of the dark souls trilogy and you should enjoy it if you like that series

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

"Hate" might be too much of a strong word, but it's a highly unnecessary and very lackluster remaster. The only Pro is that there's a Switch version.

60fps on console is big enough upgrade for me

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've only played Bloodborne, loved it and I always thought I would love Dark Souls if I gave it a real shot. I have it on PC but I really just enjoy sitting on the couch playing these days.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samuringa posted:

It's very necessary if you want to play on a console at a reasonable frame rate. Or pc without third party mods and weird bugs

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Boss Key Games shut down. It’s time for CliffyB to do something cool and new. I know he has it in him. The dude is talented and seems generally likable so I hope his next career mood goes smoothly compared to how it has been post Epic Games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Boss Key Games shut down. It’s time for CliffyB to do something cool and new. I know he has it in him. The dude is talented and seems generally likable so I hope his next career mood goes smoothly compared to how it has been post Epic Games.

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/996103828838772739

:thunk:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Personally my hope is that all the employees of Boss Key find other work soon so they can maintain health insurance for themselves and their families

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Changing everything in the game that was tied to frame rate to use delta time instead is a pretty big underlying technical change that I feel like people are underselling

The big reason people are complaining is that there’s a pretty unfinished area toward the end of the game which won’t be changed at all. Which, sure, I guess it would be a good opportunity to fix it. But to my knowledge the remaster isn’t being made by the original devs so redesigning areas would be reaching pretty far outside of their scope.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Personally my hope is that all the employees of Boss Key find other work soon so they can maintain health insurance for themselves and their families

I mean me too but food and rent before health insurance tho. Unless you count ICU overnight stays for malnutrition under health coverage priorities

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would be outside the scope of any remaster, even an almost complete remake like Shadow of the Colossus didn't add or change anything major

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m not really getting that’s what happened from those tweets but yeah. If that’s the case then drat. Not the right way to handle such a frustrating situation.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Having 60fps and more players at once is kinda big, for me. I'm looking forward to not running through Blighttown in 2fps.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I mean me too but food and rent before health insurance tho. Unless you count ICU overnight stays for malnutrition under health coverage priorities

I assume most people working for game dev are middle or lower-middle class at worst, they could probably string the first things together for a while but unexpected medical expenses are the fastest way to get trapped in a cycle of poverty, something CliffyB will never have to worry about

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m not really getting that’s what happened from those tweets but yeah. If that’s the case then drat. Not the right way to handle such a frustrating situation.

The guy in the tweets is lead producer for radical heights, and just before CliffyB put out the tweet, he was saying that stuff was still in development, and then as soon as that tweet went out, he posted that.

I have no love lost for CliffyB but I do feel bad for the people he roped in.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm just yankin your chain, my man.

I hope blighttown has an option to run at 10fps or 60...

...and by default it's set to 10 :getin:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The guy in the tweets is lead producer for radical heights, and just before CliffyB put out the tweet, he was saying that stuff was still in development, and then as soon as that tweet went out, he posted that.

I have no love lost for CliffyB but I do feel bad for the people he roped in.

That makes sense, yeah. What a shame. I wasn’t crazy about their games so far but I always like CliffyB and he seemed to have assembled a great group of people for this company. I’m hoping they get scooped up ASAP by someone so they can get back to making games and taking care of their families.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Like a couple weeks ago CliffyB was putting Epic on blast on Twitter for "stealing" his employees, unless he is incredibly deluded he should have had a sense of Boss Key's financials then

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I beat Yakuza Kiwami over the weekend.

It broke my dang heart. Kiryu teaching me how to feel again.

I am glad that I was playing the remake, and not the original. There are a lot of rough edges present even here. Bosses just straight up deciding that you couldn't hit them, fights where you get dropped into a room with 10 dudes with weapons, and a lot of fetch quests to waste your time. That said, it must have felt incredibly special when it came out.

I am going to take a break and try to clear up some other games. I don't know if I want to wait for Kiwami 2, or jump in to the 6 that I already own. I hear that 6 has recaps of all of the games, so that makes me want to jump into it. However, I hear it is also the last game with Kiryu-chan, and I won't go back to play previous games if I know the plot, so I may wait it out. I don't ever want to say goodbye to my beautiful boy.

PS: Play the game on easy mode. It does not affect any trophies, and the bosses don't feel like slogs. I was trying so hard to muscle through it, but I decided to swallow my ~gamer pride~ and man I should have done it so much sooner.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Shadow225 posted:

I beat Yakuza Kiwami over the weekend.

It broke my dang heart. Kiryu teaching me how to feel again.

I am glad that I was playing the remake, and not the original. There are a lot of rough edges present even here. Bosses just straight up deciding that you couldn't hit them, fights where you get dropped into a room with 10 dudes with weapons, and a lot of fetch quests to waste your time. That said, it must have felt incredibly special when it came out.

I am going to take a break and try to clear up some other games. I don't know if I want to wait for Kiwami 2, or jump in to the 6 that I already own. I hear that 6 has recaps of all of the games, so that makes me want to jump into it. However, I hear it is also the last game with Kiryu-chan, and I won't go back to play previous games if I know the plot, so I may wait it out. I don't ever want to say goodbye to my beautiful boy.

PS: Play the game on easy mode. It does not affect any trophies, and the bosses don't feel like slogs. I was trying so hard to muscle through it, but I decided to swallow my ~gamer pride~ and man I should have done it so much sooner.

6 has text recaps but also gameplay recaps. It's very aware you need caught up on the state of affairs. And it's not that complicated. Just start it and go.

Dont play that on easy by default. The combats so improved you have a chance.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Digirat posted:

Changing everything in the game that was tied to frame rate to use delta time instead is a pretty big underlying technical change that I feel like people are underselling

that is big but not something anyone would notice unless it hosed something up so it's easy to see why it wouldn't get brought up by people that are disappointed in the remaster

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I only knew Zero and Kiwami going into 6 and I had a good handle on almost everything that was going on. Any characters that I assume were introduced in later games were either explained well enough or not that important.

I guess there was one late-game character that was a big deal in 2-5 that the game expects you to have an emotional connection to

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't know about talented, but likable is completely not accurate. The dude is a gigantic douchebag. Thankfully his employees got new jobs at Epic and are working on Fortnite now.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Taintrunner posted:

Yes it was incredibly badass

Coughing Hobo posted:

Kiryu has been low-key killing people since the first game, or at the very least crippling them so severely that death would be preferable.

By the same token, Kiryu's been shot (in a cutscene no less!) and kept on trucking, so...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm sure, but Yakuza having the twin strands of "Kiryu has never killed" in the plot and "loving hell, Kiryu, that guy is 100% dead" in the gameplay is one of my favourite things. It makes me laugh literally every time. And yeah, even the ones that are technically survivable are very often a cavalcade of spinal and/or organ trauma.

One of the things I missed when I played 6 is the random mobs sticking around to apologise after you pinned one of them down and poured boiling water down his throat then suplexed his buddy through a motorbike. In 6 they just disappear instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like a couple weeks ago CliffyB was putting Epic on blast on Twitter for "stealing" his employees, unless he is incredibly deluded he should have had a sense of Boss Key's financials then

IMHO that's complete bitch boy leadership, if you know you're going insolvent in two weeks then at least have the common courtesy to let your employees go find other work instead of blasting them on twitter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CliffyB sucks balls, as do all the games he makes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I for one would love to find out that I’m unemployed as of right now from reading a tweet. Thats some baller poo poo

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Digirat posted:

Tying stuff to framerate is a noob mistake, and if you do any game developing people will laugh at you if you do it. I imagine you can get away with it with very simple games in fixed hardware. But Dark Souls don't look like that simple.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao what a dick

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/984933986312114176

Like they're his fuckin serfs. It reads like a joke, but taken literally, it's attempted collusion to depress wages. Google and Apple did basically this over email for a few years and got sued for hundreds of millions of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CliffyB shouldn’t have turned down the offer from Kojima.