Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The Rock will play All Might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

oh jay posted:

I hope they do something completely different and off the wall with it. Because I'm remembering season 1 and how terribly it was paced because there just weren't any natural stopping points.

You can probably cut and combine the whole first season into a single two hour movie. Speed up the intro, combine the application test and the first Deku vs Bakugo fight (maybe put Erasureheads intro here as well), a short montage of school and then go into the villain attack and All Might vs Nomu as the ending.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The director is the same guy who directed the live action Bleach movie and a few other live action anime movies in Japan if I recall correctly, so at least there's someone with experience adapting anime working on this I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

The director is the same guy who directed the live action Bleach movie and a few other live action anime movies in Japan if I recall correctly, so at least there's someone with experience adapting anime working on this I guess.

I seem to remember enjoying the live action Bleach movie more than the series so that’s something at least

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rhonne posted:

Nic Cage should be Small Might

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nic Cage is reserved for All for One.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hmm All for One was obsessed with superhero comics so that fits too

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Everyone should be played by their closest superhero analogue.

All Might - Henry Cavill
Twice - Ryan Reynolds
Sero - Tom Holland

etc

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rhonne posted:

https://twitter.com/heroacahrk/status/1602369348898885658

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Worth noting it’s directed by the guy who did the Bleach movie so it’s not quite what a lot of people here are probably thinking

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Worth noting it’s directed by the guy who did the Bleach movie so it’s not quite what a lot of people here are probably thinking

As I said, I remember actually liking the live action Bleach movie (more than the actual series for that matter) so that’s not too bad at least.

So is this movie a Japanese production, a western production, or some kind of collaboration then?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The early MHA arc with Deku getting All Might's powers could actually work well as a western live-action superhero movie.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Netflix model of adaptation - that is to say, good actors and production doing their best with atrocious writing - might actually be a good fit for MHA. It's not like the writing can get that much worse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

The Netflix model of adaptation - that is to say, good actors and production doing their best with atrocious writing - might actually be a good fit for MHA. It's not like the writing can get that much worse.

If nothing else characters have to be something more of a personality than just feeling like platitudes generated by an AI 30% of the time and like they’re written with the emotional expression of a robot for another 50%

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My biggest complaint about this series for a long time has been how the characters almost all feel like empty vessels

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Justixplode/status/1602879813852725248
https://twitter.com/DabisPoleDance/status/1602882616323198976

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Well gently caress, this actually explains so much of the last few chapters

I hope he gets better soon

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Getting Bleach deja vu real bad tbh.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Doc Fission posted:

Getting Bleach deja vu real bad tbh.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jump schedule is a hell of a thing. Remember that Tataba took three months off to get his final arc set up and he's still had to take a week here and there after coming back.

Also everything involving Togashi. Or Ashihara.

Or the guy that does Ruri Dragon

... This industry is not good for its authors

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really wonder how much better MHA would be and how much healthier Horikoshi would be if it had a biweekly schedule.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kanos posted:

I really wonder how much better MHA would be and how much healthier Horikoshi would be if it had a biweekly schedule.

The answer is every manga would be better under those conditions

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Julias posted:

The answer is every manga would be better under those conditions
Even Araki got tired of using his Stand to bang that poo poo out weekly.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'd be very much in favor of more things moving biweekly and/or having separate writers and artists. Both for quality of life for the creators, and quality of the manga.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah those unfinished chapters that somehow got printed made me worried he was going to kill himself at his desk. I wonder how much of the pace the last year has been Hori trying to finish this before he kills himself instead of editorial pressure. Slowing down the releases would be better for everyone.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

You just have to get as big as Oda then you only have to work yourself to death 75% of the time :v:

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Jump would probably be better as a whole if they ran different series in alternating weeks.

Tomorrow at 7 am they're releasing MHA skins in Fortnite. Big advertising campaign with All Might's phrase everywhere and already previews of Deku doing his Smash.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

People keep saying this, but it always strikes me for how arbitrary it is.

Some writers (like Toriyama in his prime) are able to keep up with a weekly schedule while maintaining some level of quality of life. Others (like Miura) have trouble with a monthly schedule. And almost all mangaka have a lot of variation depending on other circumstances, like their current health, their personal lives, what other projects they're working on, and so on.

If you have something like Jump Plus, of course, then it's easy for an established mangaka to have a variable schedule without losing too much momentum. If Endo doesn't get out a chapter for a month, that's fine. Nothing else gets held up, and Spy X Family is still wildly popular. It's not as good for rookies, since nobody is into their stuff yet, but if they can keep up a reliable schedule early on, then they can get enough momentum to manage skip weeks without losing too many readers. Similarly, there are magazines like Harta where "Miss a month if you like. We can deal" is part of the usual arrangement, even aside from the more sedate 10 issues a year schedule.

But for Jump proper, a switch to biweekly would either mean cutting sales in half (pissing off management, who have to report a massive drop in income, readers who expect their weekly comics, ...and all the mangaka who were managing weekly, because now they're only getting half as much money.) or having to find twice as many hit series, when Jump's been churning through a ton of dreck as it is.

I'm a huge fan of mangaka taking as many breaks as they need (although I would like to see Ruri Dragon again, if possible) and I love that digital formats help people set saner schedules, but a universal move to biweekly would cause a lot of harm and unsure amounts of good. It's not some scientifically verified healthy manga schedule. It's an arbitrary "sure sounds better" response that might or might not prevent some percentage of burnout, while leaving another chunk of mangaka still working schedules they can't keep.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh no not the sales

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still say just move mangaka to a rotating schedule and run more series.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Diabetic posted:

Jump would probably be better as a whole if they ran different series in alternating weeks.

Tomorrow at 7 am they're releasing MHA skins in Fortnite. Big advertising campaign with All Might's phrase everywhere and already previews of Deku doing his Smash.

That reminds me there's an MHA battle royale in the works. Signed up for the beta months ago but never heard anything

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
"Man it'd probably better for the author's health if they were not forced into weekly chapter releases"
"You ever think about what bi-monthly sales would do the sales numbers? Why didn't you think about upper management's feelings? "

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

I still say just move mangaka to a rotating schedule and run more series.

One of my big takeaways from reading through Bakuman! was realizing (via implication) how many actually decent series end up getting binned just because they couldn't keep up with Jump's schedule and if they had more time/room to breathe they would've done just fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

People keep saying this, but it always strikes me for how arbitrary it is.

Some writers (like Toriyama in his prime) are able to keep up with a weekly schedule while maintaining some level of quality of life. Others (like Miura) have trouble with a monthly schedule. And almost all mangaka have a lot of variation depending on other circumstances, like their current health, their personal lives, what other projects they're working on, and so on.

If you have something like Jump Plus, of course, then it's easy for an established mangaka to have a variable schedule without losing too much momentum. If Endo doesn't get out a chapter for a month, that's fine. Nothing else gets held up, and Spy X Family is still wildly popular. It's not as good for rookies, since nobody is into their stuff yet, but if they can keep up a reliable schedule early on, then they can get enough momentum to manage skip weeks without losing too many readers. Similarly, there are magazines like Harta where "Miss a month if you like. We can deal" is part of the usual arrangement, even aside from the more sedate 10 issues a year schedule.

But for Jump proper, a switch to biweekly would either mean cutting sales in half (pissing off management, who have to report a massive drop in income, readers who expect their weekly comics, ...and all the mangaka who were managing weekly, because now they're only getting half as much money.) or having to find twice as many hit series, when Jump's been churning through a ton of dreck as it is.

I'm a huge fan of mangaka taking as many breaks as they need (although I would like to see Ruri Dragon again, if possible) and I love that digital formats help people set saner schedules, but a universal move to biweekly would cause a lot of harm and unsure amounts of good. It's not some scientifically verified healthy manga schedule. It's an arbitrary "sure sounds better" response that might or might not prevent some percentage of burnout, while leaving another chunk of mangaka still working schedules they can't keep.

This reads like the people who defend horrible crunch culture in video game development.

You know it's not a good thing when a mangaka ends up having to take emergency breaks frequently because they're so beaten to poo poo by the demands of their job that they are physically incapable of getting work out, right? It means that they're riding the edge of physical exhaustion so hard that they're barely hanging on day to day, which can ruin you physically and mentally over a long period of time. "Toriyama was just built different" is a worthless and honestly terrible point to bring up when we have a litany of infamous stories of mangaka overworking themselves to the point of physical breakdown in the past and we're currently in a thread for a manga where the mangaka has had to take multiple emergency breaks because he's about to die.

"Jump could lose sales" is a possible outcome of a change to less frequent issues, yes. However, as you helpfully bring up yourself, there are other manga publications that don't play "Where There's A Whip, There's A Way" while a cartoon slavemaster in a hood lashes an army of manga artists to churn out issues as fast as possible, and they somehow manage to stay alive.

Even beyond the raw humanitarian concern of "maybe someone killing themselves to make an entertainment product for people to consume isn't good", a less frequent schedule has other effects, like being able to put more time into the art and story planning because you're not constantly fumbling to push content as fast as possible. As an example that you reference yourself, Miura's Berserk has some of the most beautiful art ever committed to the pages of a manga specifically because he had a lot of time to work with.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 16, 2022

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I dunno if it's good that this industry does this to people

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Every time I see this it boils my blood. Someone wants to defend an industry model that does this to someone because of the ~sales~?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Reading this reminds me that Kazuki Takahashi apparently was writing/drawing the final arc of Yu-Gi-Oh! while coughing up blood in the hospital.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Even taking the author's wellbeing out of it, as a reader, twice monthly at twenty-something pages a chapter would be so much better than weekly at 16-ish pages per chapter. Even with less pages per month, the pacing would actually be better, since they aren't constantly writing towards artificial cliffhangers.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

Togashi is a terrible example. The industry didn't do this to him. It was his own dumbass young self ingraining terrible postural habits that would've hit no matter what so long as he kept drawing, whether for work or for hobby.

It wasn't even limited to drawing.

And let's be clear: There's mangaka who can do the weekly schedule like it's nothing. Mashima has pushed out three weekly manga while still having time to draw fanart and stream himself doing so and manage spinoffs and poo poo and frankly that guy's a freak of nature. Meanwhile Azuma just pops out a Yotsuba like once a year when it hits his fancy. Mangaka come in all sizes and levels.
We've seen that it is possible for Jump to accommodate medical needs, but we're also talking about a passion industry where authors do not want to take breaks or switch magazines.

MHA is extremely successful. Horikoshi could take a whole-rear end month of a break or more, and I bet you Jump would say ok. He's long past the cancellation hurdle.
But he doesn't want to.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kyte posted:

Togashi is a terrible example. The industry didn't do this to him. It was his own dumbass young self ingraining terrible postural habits that would've hit no matter what so long as he kept drawing, whether for work or for hobby.

It wasn't even limited to drawing.

And let's be clear: There's mangaka who can do the weekly schedule like it's nothing. Mashima has pushed out three weekly manga while still having time to draw fanart and stream himself doing so and manage spinoffs and poo poo and frankly that guy's a freak of nature.
And we've seen that it is possible for Jump to accommodate medical needs once they're past the initial hurdle, but we're also talking about a passion industry where authors do not want to take breaks.

You mean the Togashi that has loudly gone in the record as stating that the end of Yu Yu Hakushi is the way it is because he hated the management and he hated the weekly format https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1122140222140055552?s=20&t=P88YvcP-U8CuArdT7E1IfQ

Sure sounds like a good environment doesn’t it?

Can we not advocate for a schedule which basically requires an author to kill themselves to produce entertainment? I can’t believe anyone would argue that it should be done, after seeing how many authors it burnt out or actually made severely physically ill.

It feels really gross even reading someone defending those poor conditions because they just want their entertainment fix.