Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. F! posted:

I got good news today. My gma woke up in the hospital. Really really surprising.

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

My guilty pleasure is mafia.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. F! posted:

I got good news today. My gma woke up in the hospital. Really really surprising.

This is really awesome news, my dude!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

CCKeane posted:

My guilty pleasure is mafia.

Mine is Coldplay.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

I think she means things that are bad at being a specific kind of entertainment by whatever definitions you have of that form of media, but are still entertaining so you don't really call them bad.

Arguably walking simulators may fall into this category.

Yeah this is kinda getting at it.

Like I feel like there should be a term or something because they are a lot of times I will describe something as a bad tv show or movie but I don't think they are bad bad because that would make conversations easier.

Also it works on the flip side when someone is saying a thing is bad bad because because it fails the form but you think it succeeds outside of it.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah this is kinda getting at it.

Like I feel like there should be a term or something because they are a lot of times I will describe something as a bad tv show or movie but I don't think they are bad bad because that would make conversations easier.

Also it works on the flip side when someone is saying a thing is bad bad because because it fails the form but you think it succeeds outside of it.

B movie.

B tv show.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Again guilty pleasure

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

Again guilty pleasure

Ok what are some examples of media that fit this category for you?

Do you mean things that you like should dislike, but that you actually like?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. F! posted:

gently caress ya fam

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Everyone read the chapter with the apple in understanding comics I think that kinda shows what I'm trying to get at

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mr. F! posted:

Ok what are some examples of media that fit this category for you?

Do you mean things that you like should dislike, but that you actually like?

Avengers, Gundam Wing, most modern comedy films

No.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

gently caress ya fam

Ew

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I miss bendyman

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

Avengers, Gundam Wing, most modern comedy films

No.

I bet the Germans have a word for this

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I get it, but I feel like if you start talking like that about things not be "real" representations of that media then people are going to be very dismissive. Like definitions are evolving and if something is a type of that media and it is commercially successful while advertising itself as that (so people knew what they were getting into) then trying to say it doesn't fit some arbitrary definition starts to sound really snobby and is going to lead to a lot of eye rolling.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Snooze I think I understand what you mean now.

Like stargate Sg-1 would fit

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mr. F! posted:

I bet the Germans have a word for this

Auschwitz

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

lmao

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Please stick around.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If someone wants to open a minigame (or if Retro Futurist wants to reopen his Temple game) now is the time, we have a bunch of new players from P/C who are excited to play more Mafia!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Podima posted:

If someone wants to open a minigame (or if Retro Futurist wants to reopen his Temple game) now is the time, we have a bunch of new players from P/C who are excited to play more Mafia!

I was thinking of doing a mole madness game, a game about moles with rabies.

It would have a very simple set up.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

WE SHOULD RUN A WIFOA FOR THEM. SOMEONE COMOD A WIFOA WITH ME AHHHH

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Fuckin' LOL:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/07/politics/donald-trump-women-vulgar/index.html

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Guess who just realized she slept though all her alarms for her medication... for SIX HOURS

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Poison Mushroom posted:

Guess who just realized she slept though all her alarms for her medication... for SIX HOURS

On the bright side you probably feel incredibly rested right now.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Where did JakeP go? I haven't seen him in awhile

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Where did JakeP go? I haven't seen him in awhile

One sec, hold on, or can answer that for you.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Bananana posted:

One sec, hold on, or can answer that for you.

Well???

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

I get it, but I feel like if you start talking like that about things not be "real" representations of that media then people are going to be very dismissive. Like definitions are evolving and if something is a type of that media and it is commercially successful while advertising itself as that (so people knew what they were getting into) then trying to say it doesn't fit some arbitrary definition starts to sound really snobby and is going to lead to a lot of eye rolling.

Yeah, like the walking simulator example felt wrong to me because I see those as really changing the form of video games and broadening it.

So like then what's the difference between something failing form vs broadening it? That is where it starts getting complicated and I guess it's just a case by case thing.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Here's the best I could source.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793450&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post465094674

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Wow feel better Jake

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
You guys post way too much. Makes it hard to care about the thread

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Anyway hi

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
When "leggings as pants" finally goes out if style i will mourne silently and hold fond memories of these days for some time

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also i got a new position at work with more money and no customer interaction. Yay me

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

totino boy posted:

When "leggings as pants" finally goes out if style i will mourne silently and hold fond memories of these days for some time

Well before this recent craze the last time leggings were in was the 80s. So whenever this dies we will only have to wait 20-30 years for them to be back in style. Just in time to be horney grandpas

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

totino boy posted:

Also i got a new position at work with more money and no customer interaction. Yay me

Thats awesome, congrats

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ty old friend

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

totino boy posted:

Very happy for you derp

Still makes me happy that you're writing that sci-fi story <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mr. F! posted:

Just in time to be horney grandpas
I intend to be the Drunk Lesbian Aunt until the end of time... except I have no siblings.