Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

where the red fern gropes posted:

yeah i usually got 1 or 2 hits in on it once i worked out exactly how far i had to run to escape the fire

he has insane damage absorption! i only managed to hit his head a few times because it just wasn't safe especially without a shield

This guy does a rundown of Midir's moveset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEli8PubL1k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Head-bashing strats are 100% the way to go with Midir. The only attack that's really dangerous/difficult to dodge is the laser light show, and I only see that like once per fight and if you sprint straight next to his head as soon as he starts (key is positioning - if you stay too far away then he'll annihilate you) then you'll avoid the laser arc entirely.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Head-bashing strats are 100% the way to go with Midir. The only attack that's really dangerous/difficult to dodge is the laser light show, and I only see that like once per fight and if you sprint straight next to his head as soon as he starts (key is positioning - if you stay too far away then he'll annihilate you) then you'll avoid the laser arc entirely.

screw that, hitting his toes only took me like 2 tries because 90% of his attacks miss you

that and tears of denial, i am not sure if i will ever take this skill off tbh

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Ringed City is real bad and hard and I’m dying a lot.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
The Ringed City is amazing and hard and you’ll keep dying a lot :colbert:

I’m finishing NG+2 with all DLC as a platinum victory lap and TRC on NG+2 is a difficult fuckin’ victory lap.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My introduction to the Ringed knights went pretty well. Oh here comes a big knight slowly walking towards me. All right here we... oh his sword is on fire. Oh he staggered me in 2 hits of his 5 hit combo. Oh I’m dead.

Then there’s a bunch of those big fuckoff things and I died some more. I still love this game.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Going for the head provokes crazy laser attacks. Much easier to attack the tail, which also puts you in a good position to avoid his desperation AoE attacks. Just don't ever let him get too far from you, always stay mid range, because if he's on the other side of the map alone for too long he'll start doing laser party.

eh not really. the best easiest strat for midir is to always stay mid range in front of head never locked on. half of the time he'll end up doing his wildass 3 swing attack where you run directly straight away and when hes done he ends with his head down on the ground while youre charging an attack. 3 of those and he's stunned for a visceral attack or whatever the gently caress dark souls calls it. its just so much easier to always attack his head instead of worrying about camera fuckery when running straight through to attack his tail for garbo damage

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I was stuck on Midir for quite a while trying to whittle him down by attacking his hind legs/tail and had much better results and fewer deaths when I switched it up and went for his head. Then again I fought him in NG+ so trying to kill him by doing half damage to his extra-inflated health pool is probably a terrible idea. Beat that rear end in a top hat's brains in, guys.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

After cheesing the entire game with Chaos Bed Vestiges and the occasional Black Fire Orb, I'm really enjoying phantoming Ringed City with Crystal Chime Lighting Arrows/Stake and the occasional Pestilent Mist or Snap Freeze. It's like it's a game again.

Kind of a shame they didn't put in a Pyro/Sorcery catalyst. I bet the Spear of the Church fight is a lot of fun with someone putting poison, toxic, frostbite and mercury zones everywhere.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

eh not really. the best easiest strat for midir is to always stay mid range in front of head never locked on. half of the time he'll end up doing his wildass 3 swing attack where you run directly straight away and when hes done he ends with his head down on the ground while youre charging an attack. 3 of those and he's stunned for a visceral attack or whatever the gently caress dark souls calls it. its just so much easier to always attack his head instead of worrying about camera fuckery when running straight through to attack his tail for garbo damage

Hey, whatever works for you guys. Tail's how I beat 'im.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My introduction to the Ringed knights went pretty well. Oh here comes a big knight slowly walking towards me. All right here we... oh his sword is on fire. Oh he staggered me in 2 hits of his 5 hit combo. Oh I’m dead.
if you stay a bit farther away from them when they ignite their swords they'll do a lunge attack instead which is a free backstab

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
So now that Nvidia Freestyle is out, I fully expect everyone to ruin their games visually.

I call this gaudy nightmare: #instasouls

Went hogwild with destroying this. Vaati, hit me up.

Hand it over... that thing... your Black Sovl...

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 10, 2018

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Kewpuh posted:

The actual best strat is pestilent mercury.

This is also the worst strat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

difficulty-wise i would say probably not. have you tried optional boss yet?

gael is the final boss even if you had a harder time with midir.

soul of cinder is the final boss of the game even though nameless king is harder.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
That mega saturated screenshot looks better than anything you come across in the entire game tbh

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

KingSlime posted:

That mega saturated screenshot looks better than anything you come across in the entire game tbh

How's it feel to be this wrong?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want a game that looks like those bottom bnw ones.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I love the game don't get me wrong but it's so visually drab

Yes yes reinforcement of key themes etcetera

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

KingSlime posted:

I love the game don't get me wrong but it's so visually drab

Yes yes reinforcement of key themes etcetera

It's not just an artistic choice. The "drab" visual design is integral to the non-handholding gameplay of the series. If the game looked like that screenshot, it would be visually overwhelming and would require a minimap and objective markers like every other modern game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
ok you lost me there

the other souls games are fine (especially DS2 <3), it's just DS3 that's extra drab

not a great look for an 80+ hour game imo, the muted colors work much better in BB than they do here

Aug 24, 2011

Maleh-Vor posted:

So now that Nvidia Freestyle is out, I fully expect everyone to ruin their games visually.

Went hogwild with destroying this. Vaati, hit me up.

i like all 3 of these pictures

i am using the sacred chime of filianore now, this item is very good because it restores 4 health per second when you use its weapon art, but unlike other chimes it continues doing this even after you put it away

i have a simple caestus in my offhand which restores FP over time, combined with the above chime i can restore all my health for free over time

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can but it'll take super long even if you also wore blessed weapons and sun princess ring, provided you leveled vig

imho regen as an effect in dark souls games probably shouldn't exist because it's either like that or it's too powerful

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You can make it faster if your rapidly equip and uneqip the Sun Princess ring.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm currently stuck in the ringed city and everything wants me dead and the turtle dudes apparently have a spin attack that loving kills me and well the area is not fun at loving all I could really use a bonfire right about now but up ahead there's a swamp and giant and I don't think I'm going to survive the next fights.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maleh-Vor posted:

This looks really good though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

This looks really good though.

I see a shield, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
shields are good and cool

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm currently stuck in the ringed city and everything wants me dead and the turtle dudes apparently have a spin attack that loving kills me and well the area is not fun at loving all I could really use a bonfire right about now but up ahead there's a swamp and giant and I don't think I'm going to survive the next fights.

I felt the same way, it was really starting to get me down. I found a video that showed how to run to the next bonfire and I think it was worth it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The swamp is way nicer than the stairs, and has a bonfire not far in. Obviously, don't go near the giant until you find it.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

turn right once you're down the stairs, friend

Aug 24, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

turn right once you're down the stairs, friend

yeah just turn right

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KingSlime posted:

ok you lost me there

the other souls games are fine (especially DS2 <3), it's just DS3 that's extra drab

not a great look for an 80+ hour game imo, the muted colors work much better in BB than they do here

Bloodborne is not 'muted' at all.

DS3 is supposed to be grey...because the world is literally a pile of ash.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
invaded this poor bastard with horrible lag who does nothing but roll away from me and summon, not even helping his summons try to kill me.

he seemed awful so eventually I dropped him some embers, but he was so scared he wouldn't even come pick them up for like a couple minutes.

as soon as I hit him again he went right back to rolling away and summoning :haw: not even brave enough to fight me after I dropped 20 embers for him! please, my friend. it's ok. fight me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
When can I expect to start getting chunks? I'm outside Aldrich's door and I have a grand total of 1. :<

Aug 24, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

When can I expect to start getting chunks? I'm outside Aldrich's door and I have a grand total of 1. :<

i think once you hit lothric castle, after beating 3 lords of cinder, they will start dropping more frequently

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Bloodborne is not 'muted' at all.

DS3 is supposed to be grey...because the world is literally a pile of ash.

I get what the game's going for in theory, but it says something that Bloodborne and Demon's Souls- not really very colorful games, there-look like rainbows next to 3. Nothing pops, everything kind of merges together; and the environments don't really feel "apocalyptic" most of the time. More like standard Souls-ey areas that have grey lighting and grey filters and grey textures all bolted on so they don't feel completely random.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
As someone who works in visual media and has worked as an Art Director, albeit as an indie, I can say that Dark Souls III has amazing art direction, and it's use of color is fantastic for setting the mood. The bright oversaturated screenshot I shared completely detracts from the ambience and oppressive nature of the games. If you think Dark Souls games are grey and lifeless, you haven't been paying enough attention to the actual use of color.

However, that screenshot and the gameplay with that filter are still interesting, even if it does negatively affect the game. It's the same reason back in the day the Skyrim Nexus was full of "improvements" where they would make every single texture have like ten times as much detail and contrast, sometimes literally scaling the same texture down to a quarter and repeating it 4 times in the texture. Also why people use SweetFX and so on to make things "pop" more.

Then again, I find this aesthetic to be pretty interesting to look at, to the point I killed a few bosses in boss rush mode with it, even if it's almost unreadable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKecDg1Rur8

edit: this would be a lot better if you could selectively desaturate colors so you could still have red and be able to see healthbars.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 11, 2018

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So it feels like last week I was complaining for not really "getting" Dark Souls 3, but in that time I managed to progress outside of the sewer levels. Irithyll was pretty, I enjoyed that zone quite a bit more than I expected to, and the bosses were all relatively fun even if Yhorm was a complete joke (to be fair I was doing Siegwards questline and having Onion Boy there trivialized it) and Pontiff, Aldrich, and Dancer were all killed solo on the first try. I do think its a case where Orphan of Kos beat the poo poo out of me so many times before I got him that the aggressive bosses so far in this game have seemed trivial.

Anyway, things are picking up and I'm enjoying the game a lot more even if I feel like I'm coasting on easy mode after BB. I think I might head into the DLC soon since that is supposed to be much harder and so far Lothric Castle has been pretty breezy. I still stand by most of my critiques though, the early game is kind of dreadful.

I'm starting to consider a second playthrough already, or possibly picking up Dark Souls 2. When it comes to builds in this game, I just picked up the Drang Twinspears and they seem pretty fun. I had been thinking about doing some sort of magic next time, and was wondering if they (or spears in general) would be good to pair with one of the magic types. Maybe DEX/INT with some utility spells and buffing a sharp infused weapon with magic? Is that something that might be viable?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cinnamon Bear posted:

So it feels like last week I was complaining for not really "getting" Dark Souls 3, but in that time I managed to progress outside of the sewer levels. Irithyll was pretty, I enjoyed that zone quite a bit more than I expected to, and the bosses were all relatively fun even if Yhorm was a complete joke (to be fair I was doing Siegwards questline and having Onion Boy there trivialized it) and Pontiff, Aldrich, and Dancer were all killed solo on the first try. I do think its a case where Orphan of Kos beat the poo poo out of me so many times before I got him that the aggressive bosses so far in this game have seemed trivial.

Anyway, things are picking up and I'm enjoying the game a lot more even if I feel like I'm coasting on easy mode after BB. I think I might head into the DLC soon since that is supposed to be much harder and so far Lothric Castle has been pretty breezy. I still stand by most of my critiques though, the early game is kind of dreadful.

I'm starting to consider a second playthrough already, or possibly picking up Dark Souls 2. When it comes to builds in this game, I just picked up the Drang Twinspears and they seem pretty fun. I had been thinking about doing some sort of magic next time, and was wondering if they (or spears in general) would be good to pair with one of the magic types. Maybe DEX/INT with some utility spells and buffing a sharp infused weapon with magic? Is that something that might be viable?

Glad you found your stride. The DLC is definitely more in line with the good ol BB feeling, especially Ashes of Ariandel, and very much worth experiencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Edmond Dantes posted:

You can give a black firebomb to the crow for one.
There's one from a crystal lizard in Smouldering Lake (this is probably the one you have).
There are two on the path to Yhorm.
If you can beat Vilhelm in the Painted World, there are a couple in the area past him. You can theoretically grind the crow knights for chunks, but they're a rare drop and the knights are tough enemies.
Everything else is gated behind the boss you'll fight after Aldrich and Yhorm.