Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
BMW will fix that poo poo by 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Going to love the full car grille look

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Getting rid of the hood lines that led to the top of the grills that made it look like even more like a pig snout helps a ton. It's obviously still not great.

At least it comes in Tanzanite Blue :swoon:

Russian Bear posted:

That 4 series side profile is very nice, it doesn't look like a mustang anymore.

I couldn't get over that and more or less tossed the idea of the F82 because I didn't like the side profile. And it lacks the proper hips that the M3 has too.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Honestly, thats what it is becoming.

Remember when BMW entire line up was good looking? How far they have fallen. Hell the Bangle cars look so much better than the crap they are spewing out now

While I still don't care for the first Bangle 7-Series, a neighbor's E60 535i in Deep Green Metallic has made me a believer in that design. The E60 looks better next to the watered-down F10, and everyone else has ripped off the tall trunk that made the Bangle BMWs stand out in the early-to-mid 2000s.

If Chrysler can come back from the huge pile of poo poo that was their lineup in the mid-2000s, BMW can get through this lost period.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Remember when the e39 and e46 were out simultaneously? From that to this in 20 years. Monstrous.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

TLX looks better

Won't have all the cool paint options tho :(

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Unpopular opinion, I think the Bangle cars have aged spectacularly. Yeah the pre-facelift 7 still looks bloated, and I wish the 6 had different headlights, but a clean E60 still looks remarkably modern.

While I certainly like the E46 and E39, I do tire a bit of the deification of them. They’re handsome, but it’s a plain kinda handsome. Like local department store menswear catalog handsome, not Brioni suit handsome.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I did my first track day in my 86 GT. Very impressed. It’s quite easy to drive right on the limit. I’m on RE71Rs with Project Mu RC09 pads and fluid - otherwise stock. The engine is really in it’s element at high RPM - a shame about the rest of the powerband though...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Frond posted:

I did my first track day in my 86 GT. Very impressed. It’s quite easy to drive right on the limit. I’m on RE71Rs with Project Mu RC09 pads and fluid - otherwise stock. The engine is really in it’s element at high RPM - a shame about the rest of the powerband though...

Having ridden in several cars on RE-71Rs at autocross, I swear those things are high power earth magnets. Every other tire I've ever driven on just starts screaming and lets go, not those drat things. The grip they have is so sick.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

So now that Acura is trying to fix itself it seems like Infiniti decided to take over their old role.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/nissan-plots-infiniti-reboot-cap-revival (Emphasis mine)

quote:

Nissan plots an Infiniti reboot to cap revival

TOKYO — Not long ago, the Infiniti premium brand aspired to move upmarket in the glow of Mercedes-Benz through a then-celebrated tie-up between Nissan Motor Co. and Daimler.

But the Japanese automaker, now wallowing in red ink and with Infiniti still groping for traction, is making an overhaul of the brand a centerpiece of its drastic new U.S. revival plan.

Under the strategy, Infiniti will no longer be a mini-Mercedes. It will be "Nissan-plus."

COO Ashwani Gupta outlined the Infiniti revamp last week as Nissan unveiled a revised four-year midterm plan.

Nissan's wider restructuring road map cuts billions in costs, slashes production capacity and trims the lineup to reemerge as a smaller, more profitable company. But part of that will mean high-end Infiniti will share platforms, powertrains and assembly plants with the mass-market Nissan brand in a move to boost product development efficiencies by as much as half.

Under the shuffle, Infiniti's trademark rear- wheel-drive coupe and sedans — epitomized by the Q50, Q60 and Q70 — may eventually die off. In their place would come a Nissan platform, possibly pulled from the Altima or Maxima sedans, that accommodates the company's e-Power hybrid setup.

Infiniti, which saw global sales stagnate and then fall over the past four years, will focus mostly on the U.S. and China and get its own high-performance variant of e-Power to set it apart from rivals.

"We will bring back Infiniti as Nissan-plus, in terms of product and technology," Gupta told Automotive News in discussing Nissan's larger restructuring. The efficiencies brought by piggybacking Infiniti on top of Nissan are envisioned as powering a rapid rollout of new models.

The first Infiniti vehicles under the new approach should debut by 2023.

"Infiniti will be great again," Gupta pledged.

I remember when the new G35 was introduced and the Infiniti execs made this big show about pledging never to take their eyes off BMW as a competitor and how they aspired to be the "Japanese BMW" and they would only ever make RWD products going forward. Then, I guess they decided to become the Japanese Mercedes. Now they want to become mid 2000s Acura.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

So now that Acura is trying to fix itself it seems like Infiniti decided to take over their old role.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/nissan-plots-infiniti-reboot-cap-revival (Emphasis mine)

I remember when the new G35 was introduced and the Infiniti execs made this big show about pledging never to take their eyes off BMW as a competitor and how they aspired to be the "Japanese BMW" and they would only ever make RWD products going forward. Then, I guess they decided to become the Japanese Mercedes. Now they want to become mid 2000s Acura.

That “make Infiniti great again” line at the end isn’t as inspirational as I’m sure they were hoping.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Midjack posted:

That “make Infiniti great again” line at the end isn’t as inspirational as I’m sure they were hoping.

Why would you say that? Why? Holy poo poo that really is just dumb as gently caress

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why would you say that? Why? Holy poo poo that really is just dumb as gently caress

62% of white men voted for Trump. Much like manual transmission wagon demand the SomethingAwful Comedy forums are not representative of real life America.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Throatwarbler posted:

62% of white men voted for Trump. Much like manual transmission wagon demand the SomethingAwful Comedy forums are not representative of real life America.

62% of white male voters voted for Trump. 45% of the eligible voters didn’t vote. But I’m sure the white male Trump voter market is enough to carry new Infiniti.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

BloodBag posted:

Having ridden in several cars on RE-71Rs at autocross, I swear those things are high power earth magnets. Every other tire I've ever driven on just starts screaming and lets go, not those drat things. The grip they have is so sick.

They are, but also keep in mind it’s really an 80TW tire that’s labelled 200TW.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
At what point was Infiniti great? The first G35 was pretty good. I would argue that was Infiniti's peak. One car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Apollo posted:

More of the brochure

I didn't like the grill at first but seeing it on such an awesome profile somehow makes it work. I really like that. It's different.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At what point was Infiniti great? The first G35 was pretty good. I would argue that was Infiniti's peak. One car.

I’m old enough to remember the first Infiniti commercial that blew everyone’s mind because it didn’t show the car. We had a Nissan at the time (a 1986 Maxima wagon that was amazing) so I just assume that was their peak.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The second gen G35 was good too, at least when it was launched.

The real question is how long before we see a FWD 3 series.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'd argue Infiniti right before the financial crisis was probably peak Infiniti. G37 sedan and coupes you could get with a 6MT + LSD, the M56 with the 5.6L V8, and the EX / FX 37s that were decent crossovers. They still felt like desirable vehicles.

(I'm probably lying to myself to justify buying that G37 coupe new like an idiot)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mr. Apollo posted:

Now they want to become mid 2000s Acura.

That wouldn’t be that bad right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimcicle posted:

I'd argue Infiniti right before the financial crisis was probably peak Infiniti. G37 sedan and coupes you could get with a 6MT + LSD, the M56 with the 5.6L V8, and the EX / FX 37s that were decent crossovers. They still felt like desirable vehicles.

(I'm probably lying to myself to justify buying that G37 coupe new like an idiot)

I can buy it. The G37 was better than the G35, but I felt like the G35 was more special and revolutionary for the brand. The first FX was pretty good, too. However, the rest was pretty dire. The Q45 was a good car but extremely dated, the M35 was ugly and non competitive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Infiniti styling for the past 10 years or so has looked like a generic vehicle in the beginning stages of anaphylaxis.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The FM platform is good. Very good even.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think the G37 is a really good looking car. One of the best side profiles of its time.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Lots more pictures of the new 4:

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g32732023/2021-bmw-4-series-coupe-photos-info-gallery/

Looks quite good but it’s making me wonder: can you get away with not putting on a front license plate in Europe? My state requires them but I just haven’t put it on and cops don’t seem to notice or care. Presumably if I got pulled over for something else they’d tack that on but it’d be such a small fine I’m not too worried about it.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Not putting on a front license plate is super illegal in Europe.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

On the other side I really don't get the preoccupation with not running a front plate because it looks 0.0001% cleaner or why you would give cops any standing justification to hassle you. Just make it required in all 50 states and be done with it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Infiniti's problem is that Ghosn pulled all the money out of Infiniti post-2008, and whatever resources Infiniti has had to freshen their aging vehicles hasn't been used as wisely as say, FCA has done with the Charger and Challenger.

Nissan tried to reduce Infiniti's development costs by partnering with Daimler, which resulted in the QX30 and QX50. Both of these vehicles have failed in the US market. The partnership has been nearly disbanded save for Nissan's use of the 9G-TRONIC for its RWD-based vehicles.

Nissan can revive Infiniti with time and money. The talent that's still there may flourish now that they are freed from the tyranny of Le Cost Cutter; the new Sentra is a vastly was better car, and Nissan's new head of design behind Lincoln's recent vehicles. But time and money are things Nissan might not have to save itself, let alone their luxury brand that mainly exists by leasing their cars at mainstream prices.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Infinotize posted:

On the other side I really don't get the preoccupation with not running a front plate because it looks 0.0001% cleaner or why you would give cops any standing justification to hassle you. Just make it required in all 50 states and be done with it.

Um, no.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Infinotize posted:

My state (AZ) doesn't even give you more than one plate when you register your car. You can probably request one for extra $$$?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Infinotize posted:

I wasn’t really on a mission to not have one or anything but when you buy a new car here you only get a temporary plate for the rear. So I had that on for a couple months, then when I registered the car and got permanent plates I didn’t immediately have the screws handy to mount the front one and threw it in the trunk to do later. A few months later I realized I never remembered to put it on and just figured I’d continue on like that since it does look better without it.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 2, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Infinotize posted:

I purposely got a front plate bracket drilled into my bumper instead of a tow hook mount specifically to troll people.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Eyud posted:

I wasn’t really on a mission to not have one or anything but when you buy a new car here you only get temporary plate for the rear. So I had that on for a couple months, then when I registered the car and got permanent plates I didn’t immediately have the screws handy to mount the front one and threw it in the trunk to do later. A few months later I realized I never remembered to put it on and just figured I’d continue on like that since it does look better without it.

I’m Utah failure to have a front plate isn’t a primary offense, so you can’t be pulled over for just that.

They’re trying to change that, apparently.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m Utah failure to have a front plate isn’t a primary offense, so you can’t be pulled over for just that.

"I think your brake light is out" or "I thought you were speeding" are the two popular pretexts for that not a primary offense thing.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Infinotize posted:

On the other side I really don't get the preoccupation with not running a front plate because it looks 0.0001% cleaner or why you would give cops any standing justification to hassle you. Just make front plates illegal in all 50 states and be done with it.

FTFY.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Of course they are. It's the same reason the state police had a shitfest about PA removing registration stickers from our plates. They need a sanctioned reason to pull someone over because they aren't allowed to use their real reason.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Midjack posted:

"I think your brake light is out" or "I thought you were speeding" are the two popular pretexts for that not a primary offense thing.

It’s also only a $50 fine or something, and I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of anyone getting ticketed for it. Point taken on cops very willfully coming up with any pretext to pull you over, though.

The easiest fix would be to require it be present to pass a safety inspection, but we got rid of those.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's extremely stupid that states get to choose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's extremely stupid that states get to choose

What, precisely, makes it stupid? Vehicle registration is entirely under the purview of the state. Why wouldn't it be under their purview to determine how registration has to be displayed?