Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SyRauk posted:

This state is never turning blue lmao

It will but only once the sea level rises to engulf everything east of the hill country.

Though that might be more of a brownish, silty color I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Number_6 posted:

"I'm blowing this thing up because something else happened that I don't like" is not a reasoned justification to do anything. It's barely one step removed (if that) from terrorism.

Come on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a second veto has just hit the state senate!!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Frankly I can’t believe these politicians are doing politics as part of the legislative process

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Number_6 posted:

Why isn't there some kind of legal requirement that legislative actions (bills) and executive actions (including vetos) be based on some kind of clearly stated, reasoned justification.

In the best case scenario, it would not change anything. Politicians can always find a “justifiable” reason to cover a political reason.

In the worst case scenario it would be harmful because now you’ve set up a system where judges get to decide what is “reasonable” instead of the people elected to do the job of governing.

Number_6 posted:

“I'm blowing this thing up because something else happened that I don't like" is not a reasoned justification to do anything. It's barely one step removed (if that) from terrorism.

Settle down, Beavis. A veto is not terrorism. If you don’t like the governor’s actions then vote for someone else next election.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Do you care about any of these bills being vetoed? They're mostly minor tax fixes and special district things (like the GCD bill posted earlier).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yes but i understand my legislative priorities are so niche that 99.99999% of people won't get extra paperwork because of it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1669715749160534017

Speaking of terrorism

Why do men keep doing this waxed mustache poo poo it’s ridiculous

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
A veto override can only happen if both chambers are in session, which the House is not. Conveniently, the House & Gov are also aligned on passing the compression-only tax bill.

Patrick is making a lot of noise saying that the House wasn't given permission to adjourn sine die, but he has no binding authority over the House so this means nothing.

So the Gov is going to keep vetoing special interest bills without consequence for the foreseeable future, Patrick is going to continue to whine about it, and it's going to continue to be a funny slap fight.

Abbott has killed 8 hostage bills so far, not counting the two other vetoes earlier in the session that were unrelated to the property tax bickering https://lrl.texas.gov/legis/vetoes/vetoesBySession.cfm?legSession=88-0

Nancy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 16, 2023

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

i say swears online posted:

yes but i understand my legislative priorities are so niche that 99.99999% of people won't get extra paperwork because of it

love it. do you work at an agency?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, anything he doesn’t sign or veto becomes law on Sunday so this can only go so long

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The vetoes sure, but Abbott and Patrick can keep the property tax bickering going indefinitely, especially if we keep getting specials :getin:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

love it. do you work at an agency?

i finally went from mopping floors to pushing paper a couple months ago. the view is nice, DKR on the other side

you can see satan darkening the skies of westlake

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

zoux posted:

I mean, anything he doesn’t sign or veto becomes law on Sunday so this can only go so long

I have a pen plotter he can borrow if he needs to get through signatures faster.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Number_6 posted:

Why isn't there some kind of legal requirement that legislative actions (bills) and executive actions (including vetos) be based on some kind of clearly stated, reasoned justification. "I'm blowing this thing up because something else happened that I don't like" is not a reasoned justification to do anything. It's barely one step removed (if that) from terrorism.

i do not think vetoing a bill is one step removed, if that, from terrorism. personally.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

i say swears online posted:

i finally went from mopping floors to pushing paper a couple months ago. the view is nice, DKR on the other side

you can see satan darkening the skies of westlake

State benefits lifestyle - 20 years to hanging it up.

My wife is County Government 11 to go.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's very comforting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/aarontorres_/status/1669779016839036973?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Office of the governor budget gonna look real bad next session

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SB361 NOOOOOO

that let teachers serve on appraisal review boards

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“Relating to designating the second Saturday in October as Hospice and Palliative Care Day”

VETOED

I dunno how this ends up but I know who Id put money on in Patrick vs Abbott

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

where's the market, predictit

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
while he's shooting hostages maybe Greg should start shipping migrants to state legislators' houses

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
With how gimmicky this poo poo is, I honestly am surprised I haven't seen a joke of "only after property tax relief" was thrown in.

This dumb comedy forum losing its chops.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He is enraging legislators, I mean vetoing MUD bills is insane, and after Sunday what? What’s his leverage? “We’ll if you wanna get your the chuckwagon is the official food truck of Texas” bill put on the agenda for a special you better play ball.

This strikes me as a monumentally stupid strategy. Especially since as a rule Lt Gov is a more powerful position than Gov in this here state.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

drunk mutt posted:

With how gimmicky this poo poo is, I honestly am surprised I haven't seen a joke of "only after property tax relief" was thrown in.

This dumb comedy forum losing its chops.

This post will be funny only after property tax relief.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This is Liz Warren levels of overplaying your hand

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we're going to find out that abbott blew up nordstream

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

drat. Greg is loving with the money. The MUD bills are the real estate developers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Can someone please explain why this is bad for Abbott?

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
who said it was bad for abbott?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can someone please explain why this is bad for Abbott?

Because on Monday he will have no leverage and an entire chamber of gibbering rabid legislators who want to kill him. Immediate consequences aside, these lawmakers also fill the various slush funds he uses to run his ‘signature’ border sec and eco devo programs. They’re going to zero out the budget for the office of the governor next session.

Like he’s not killing bills that senators desperately need to pass, so they arent going to be inclined to move on property taxes just so they can do a MUD special in November.

Also on Tuesday he’s going to lose all media coverage because that’s when the senate puts out the rules and the date of the Paxton trial and the state news coverage is gonna be all senate, all the time.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 17, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1670139314091487236?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Ok now he’s lost his loving mind lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Funny how the news at large isn't really reporting on this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like I said none of these bills are terribly noteworthy and this is also a process story, which readers hate

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
It was fascist last session when he vetoed the legislative budget and it's fascist now (to have a legislature that can never functional as co-equal to the governor), but yeah the public doesn't really care when it's done in a technical fashion.

But I will say that the Republican legislators last session who kissed up to Abbott and never opposed him vetoing their staffer's income were chumps then for believing he could never use it to punish his own party.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 17, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, no one really thought that legislative staffers weren’t gonna get paid.

Maybe some people spooked themselves about it but it was never a real possibility

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

I mean, no one really thought that legislative staffers weren’t gonna get paid.

Maybe some people spooked themselves about it but it was never a real possibility

Only because they knew Dems would obey whatever the gently caress Abbott wanted instead of defunding the lege.

Abbott right now is saying "don't worry, you can bring this bill back during a special session", but it's still contingent on them falling in line.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I don’t think he’s vetoed anything worth bending the knee on, I think he’s just pissing people off because he has very bad political instincts. No one is going to flip on vouchers over a loving groundwater district or w/e

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1670172679788281868

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

because he has very bad political instincts.

yeah i think this is the core of it. imo he's so afraid of getting dewhursted that he's lost the plot