Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CatchrNdRy posted:

any rumors if drew's kids are going crazy? In an old loveline Adam made the comment that it wouldn't be more than few years before they called the show.

and here is the very first loveline host, bitter and poor turning on Drew

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/a-clockwork-orange/poorman-dr-drew-pinsky-cocaine-1/
Didn't Adam allude to this before? It's kinda sad, like learning your favorite baseball player used steroids in their college days.

The Senate posted:

This is why he repeats those incredibly stupid talking points that no doctor in his position could honestly believe.

Which stupid talking points are you referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Speaking of steroids. drat Drew is HUGE.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

UltraRed posted:

Didn't Adam allude to this before? It's kinda sad, like learning your favorite baseball player used steroids in their college days.

Which stupid talking points are you referring to?

Marijuana is PROFOUNDLY, PROFOUNDLY, addicting.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. Drews opinion on drugs are always hyperbole and I know its not because he believes that its because he believes in the Hippocratic Oath to a fault and doesn't want to be doctor that says drugs in moderation are OK. Even though he sometimes does.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
AMAZING

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described
Drew got so much better looking with age, wow.

Regarding Drew's talking points and hyperbole on drugs, I remember when Adam used to say something like "If you're starting out as a genius, you can afford to do a little weed (or whatever.) But if you're at the level of [some retarded caller who can barely string a sentence together] yeah you're better off trying to keep what braincells you have and not adding to your problems with mind altering substances," and Drew pretty much agreed with that. But he sees so much addiction in his practice, and I don't think he'd really feel good about condoning, over the air, recreational drug use (in moderation) even though--

The Senate posted:

Even though he sometimes does.

yeah.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

CatchrNdRy posted:

any rumors if drew's kids are going crazy? In an old loveline Adam made the comment that it wouldn't be more than few years before they called the show.

They looks pretty well-adjusted to me:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Drewkroq#p/u

I think I even found Drew's daughter on twitter once.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CatchrNdRy posted:

Drew's daughter is doing iceskating still. The name Paulina Pinski isn't too common and I swear I saw her perform recently. No idea what his kids are up to...

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
I might be crazy, but I seem to remember Adam hinting at Drew doing coke a couple of times during the loveline days...

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Senate posted:

He usually ends that statement with 'for certain people.'

Drew generally makes a distinction between non-addicts and the people with the genetic potential for it. I remember a conversation between him and Adam about what drugs you absolutely cannot use recreationally and I think they concluded that only heroin and crack fell under that category.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

UltraRed posted:

Daryl DBD posted:

I might be crazy, but I seem to remember Adam hinting at Drew doing coke a couple of times during the loveline days...

He was joking.

Don't take ANYTHING Poorman says seriously. He is a miserable, jealous person that will say anything to get in the headlines.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
You coke whore.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Solarin posted:

Drew generally makes a distinction between non-addicts and the people with the genetic potential for it. I remember a conversation between him and Adam about what drugs you absolutely cannot use recreationally and I think they concluded that only heroin and crack fell under that category.

No, I dont really think he does unless he's arguing with someone he knows he cant persuade. Especially in the later years when he became a TV personality doctor. I certainly understand where I think he's coming from though and dont fault him for it.

Anyway, Carolla is on Stern today. You can catch replays all day on Sirius.

Teepkick Shakur fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 8, 2010

frobert blamble
Feb 6, 2009

by T. Finn

The Senate posted:

No, I dont really think he does.
No he definitely does. Adam used to joke pretty frequently that he thought everyone was an addict but he always made it clear that only the people who couldn't stop despite suffering consequences were addicts. I even remember him once talking specifically about how non-addicts sometimes become dependent on opiates but once they experience the withdrawal they're done whereas an addict will continue.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Liface posted:

Don't take ANYTHING Poorman says seriously. He is a miserable, jealous person that will say anything to get in the headlines.

QFT

Poorman is an rear end in a top hat and basically quit Loveline because the station "outed" his true age with a surprise birthday party on-air. Anything the guy has said in the past twenty years has been pure sour grapes.

Oh, and "Luvchat".

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Liface posted:

I don't see why it would be a big deal. Wouldn't a little drug use at an earlier time just make Dr. Drew more credible?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

PR Flax posted:

"We are not going to comment on outlandish and laughable allegations from nearly 30 years ago," said Valerie Allen. "Dr. Drew has done so much for so many and deserves more respect."

There was also this from Pinsky's agent:

"I have known and worked with Dr. Drew off and on for 19 years and I've never heard of anything so preposterous in my life," said John Ferriter. "All I see is a guy who helps people both on and off camera who have problems and the fact that anyone one would make these accusations about him would make me call into question those accusations and the people who are making them. I would also question their motivation for making such claims. Dr. Drew's 25 years of service speaks for itself."

These don't sound like outright denials. Just bluster.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't see why it would be a big deal. Wouldn't a little drug use at an earlier time just make Dr. Drew more credible?

It wouldn't be a big deal. And if it were Adam, or even Rachtman saying it, everyone would shrug and say "fine". But since it's Poorman you can't believe it because he's such a loving scumbag.

Drew has talked about smoking a little weed, and in Playboy talked about how hard it is for him to even enjoy a glass of wine in public without feeling like he's going to be put through the ringer. Some people (and even Drew sometimes) see most recreational drug use as abuse, even if he says "hey, if it didn't hurt you I'd have no opinion! Have fun!"

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

LovelineStream is down :/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Senate posted:

You know exactly what I'm talking about. Drews opinion on drugs are always hyperbole and I know its not because he believes that its because he believes in the Hippocratic Oath to a fault and doesn't want to be doctor that says drugs in moderation are OK. Even though he sometimes does.

Drew's problem is that he is surrounded all day by people who are PROFOUNDLY, PROFOUNDLY addicted to marijuana and other drugs.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Solarin posted:

This is basically a perfect example of "people hear what they want to hear". Think back to every idiot who called the show to express outrage over something Drew said only to make it perfectly clear as teh call went on that he did not actually listen to what Drew was saying.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

hobbesmaster posted:

Drew's problem is that he is surrounded all day by people who are PROFOUNDLY, PROFOUNDLY addicted to marijuana and other drugs.

You cant judge.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Zahgaegun posted:

These don't sound like outright denials. Just bluster.

"won't dignify that with a response" is generally even stronger than a denial?

I don't think its unsettling that Drew experimented a little when he was young, but to accuse him of consistent coked-out benders is unfounded and just sounds like a has-been spewing bitter grapes. Do some of you guys really think Drew leads some sort of "do as I say.." double life, while casually lighting up and taking a few snorts, while waggling his finger at everyone?

NotWearingPants posted:

I think knowledge and experience as a clinician outweighs "dude this one time I..." stories

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 8, 2010

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bloodynose posted:

LovelineStream is down :/

Thanks for the heads up, sometimes the stream shits itself and needs to be restarted.

Back up!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

BorderPatrol posted:

Thanks for the heads up, sometimes the stream shits itself and needs to be restarted.

Back up!

Right on! Just in time for the "Our guests are never impressed" rant. Batting cage? Not impressed. Korn on tomorrow? *sniff sniff*

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
I feel like the tag for this thread should be the rant tag.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

The Senate posted:

That's not hyperbole. Even if he doesn't qualify it with "if you have the genes for addiction tendency" he's said it enough times to make his stance on the issue clear.

It should be obvious that doing drugs in moderation is certainly not ok for some people, since so many people call in with stories about being prescribed opiates and taking 40-50 of them a day shortly after. He doesn't draw a distinction between alcohol and other drugs either, and if you've older than 10 you've probably realized that some people can handle it in moderation, and some people get profoundly addicted just because of the way their brain is wired.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Magnificent Quiver posted:

That's not hyperbole. Even if he doesn't qualify it with "if you have the genes for addiction tendency" he's said it enough times to make his stance on the issue clear.

It should be obvious that doing drugs in moderation is certainly not ok for some people, since so many people call in with stories about being prescribed opiates and taking 40-50 of them a day shortly after. He doesn't draw a distinction between alcohol and other drugs either, and if you've older than 10 you've probably realized that some people can handle it in moderation, and some people get profoundly addicted just because of the way their brain is wired.

No its hyperbole. But again, I understand where he is coming from.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

The Senate posted:

you really think Dr. Drew is just exaggerating just for the kids, and he doesn't actually believe marijuana is addictive? This is not an issue on what WE believe to be true, but rather if we believe Drew practices what he preaches.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

CatchrNdRy posted:

you really think Dr. Drew is just exaggerating just for the kids, and he doesn't actually believe marijuana is addictive? This is not an issue on what WE believe to be true, but rather if we believe Drew practices what he preaches.

I'm 100% sure the issue here is what I believe, as thats what you just asked and the answer is yes.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

The Senate posted:

No it's not hyperbole. There's no such thing as mildly addictive if you have the genes for it. People seem to have this incorrect idea that some drugs aren't as addictive as others.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I once objected to Dr. Drew saying marijuana is addictive but then I got high.

When Donny does his "Dr. Drew, let me ask you a question" and everyone knows it's going to actually be some "isn't it true?" statement on how marijuana isn't addictive, I find it uncomfortably familiar. I'm not as hapless as Donny, but it sounds like something I might have said when I was younger.

Then they go into the "It's never the marijuana" bit: "I can't find my car keys, but it has nothing to do with weed" and "I overslept by 2 hours but it has nothing to do with being high all night last night" and that hit close to home too. Marijuana addicts love to deny that the obvious results of their addiction have anything to do with weed. They also love to point out that marijuana isn't addictive so they can deny their addiction.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
Listen! I've done the Dr. Drew math....

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

NotWearingPants posted:

Then they go into the "It's never the marijuana" bit: "I can't find my car keys, but it has nothing to do with weed" and "I overslept by 2 hours but it has nothing to do with being high all night last night" and that hit close to home too. Marijuana addicts love to deny that the obvious results of their addiction have anything to do with weed.

Lots of people lose their keys that do and don't do drugs just as there's lots of people that go to work on time that may or may not do drugs. A lot of times, the latter issue is due to a lack of maturity. As for the former, in many cases they have a leprechaun living in their house and one of the games they like to play is to hide keys and stuff.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

chemosh6969 posted:

Lots of people lose their keys that do and don't do drugs just as there's lots of people that go to work on time that may or may not do drugs. A lot of times, the latter issue is due to a lack of maturity. As for the former, in many cases they have a leprechaun living in their house and one of the games they like to play is to hide keys and stuff.

Shut the gently caress up Donnie.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I don't think Adam realizes how much of a factor the sheer luck of meeting Jimmy was in providing him with all the opportunities he has had in his life. Even his ongoing success in broadcasting is largely based around the lucky fact that Drew plays such a natural straight-man and hardly a product of his own hard work given his attitude towards Loveline. The fanbase created during those years has been the main reason he has had a semi-successful career after Loveline at all. I am sure some loved his work afterwards on its own merits but they pale in comparison to those that prefer his work on Loveline.

This was all just sparked by one of his bootstraps rants. The way he talks about it makes it seem as if Adam honestly believes that there is more separating him from being dirt poor than just sheer luck. The tremendous talent that got him that sitcom he was working on perhaps? The Hammer has been the only halfway decent thing he has ever produced on his own and it is clear that by his own means he could not have accomplished even half of what he has accomplished in his life.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Senate posted:

No, I dont really think he does unless he's arguing with someone he knows he cant persuade. Especially in the later years when he became a TV personality doctor. I certainly understand where I think he's coming from though and dont fault him for it.

Anyway, Carolla is on Stern today. You can catch replays all day on Sirius.

Is it worth listening to?

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

UltraRed posted:

Is it worth listening to?

I didn't really find it that funny but It it was listenable. He tries pretty (too) hard....

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Judakel posted:

I don't think Adam realizes how much of a factor the sheer luck of meeting Jimmy was in providing him with all the opportunities he has had in his life. Even his ongoing success in broadcasting is largely based around the lucky fact that Drew plays such a natural straight-man and hardly a product of his own hard work given his attitude towards Loveline. The fanbase created during those years has been the main reason he has had a semi-successful career after Loveline at all. I am sure some loved his work afterwards on its own merits but they pale in comparison to those that prefer his work on Loveline.

This was all just sparked by one of his bootstraps rants. The way he talks about it makes it seem as if Adam honestly believes that there is more separating him from being dirt poor than just sheer luck. The tremendous talent that got him that sitcom he was working on perhaps? The Hammer has been the only halfway decent thing he has ever produced on his own and it is clear that by his own means he could not have accomplished even half of what he has accomplished in his life.

We go back in time and show 1997 D-list Adam how in 13 years his humor has turned into angry old man rants, and his amusing anecdotes about his poo-fliniging friends have turned into bland stories of B-list celebrities. Then we show him his 2005-2010 gross income. I don't think he would change a thing.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CatchrNdRy posted:

We go back in time and show 1997 D-list Adam how in 13 years his humor has turned into angry old man rants, and his amusing anecdotes about his poo-fliniging friends have turned into bland stories of B-list celebrities. Then we show him his 2005-2010 gross income. I don't think he would change a thing.

Let's take today's Adam and tell him most of that income is largely due to his tremendous luck when it came to landing that Loveline gig. Watch him yell at you in outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well he does have a point that you can't depend on luck, you do need to work at it. He put in his time at the Groundlings learning improv and was proactive about pursuing that job teaching Jimmy. But he ignores that all his effort was paired with a very lucky break and meeting the right guy at the right time.

• Locked thread