Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SeaborneClink posted:

I suppose next time you could save a "left" and "right" side preset of settings in your camera's C1/C2/C3 settings. :shrug:

It's flash power he'd need to change, not camera settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_1970 by avoyer, on Flickr

Not sure if the mother will like it (since it's not the typical baby picture) but I do! :)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's flash power he'd need to change, not camera settings.

My mistake, I thought there was a way to save flash settings too.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

xenilk posted:

Not sure if the mother will like it (since it's not the typical baby picture) but I do! :)

fwiw, I think it's far better than the typical baby picture.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 18, 2013

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Outtakes from some office shots:

International Man of Mystery by torgeaux, on Flickr

Outtake1 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Outtake1 by torgeaux, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Woa that's awesome. What's the lightning setup like?! And was it much PP?

BrosephofArimathea posted:

fwiw, I think it's far better than the typical baby picture.

Thank you :)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xenilk posted:

Woa that's awesome. What's the lightning setup like?! And was it much PP

Thanks! It's part of a set of shots I did for promo photos.

B800 shooting through a large softbox aiming about 55-60 degrees downward directly in front of subject. Processing was pretty minimal- I did it all in Lightroom 4. Bumped clarity, contrast, dropped highlights, minimal playing with color saturation/luminance...cropped to 4x5.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

From the SF coast last weekend:

Baker Beach 1 on Flickr

Baker Beach 6 on Flickr

Baker Beach 8 on Flickr

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

These are great.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

brandino posted:

Baker Beach 1 on Flickr

Baker Beach 6 on Flickr

Baker Beach 8 on Flickr

I like them all! I'm wondering how the last one would look without the blurred hand/leg in the foreground, I don't think it's adding much

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I agree with the earlier comments, this is an excellent shot. I always hesitate to shoot people with my wide glass, but this shows how it can we well done. How close to the guy were you, and how far back was the softbox?

brandino posted:

Baker Beach 1 on Flickr

Baker Beach 6 on Flickr

Baker Beach 8 on Flickr

I love the feel to these, and the first two are excellently executed. They just feel casual and fun and high-touch. I could see them being used to sell clothes. The third one is so close, but I feel the out of focus hand is a miss, and I wish you hadn't blown the highlights on her face.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar posted:

I agree with the earlier comments, this is an excellent shot. I always hesitate to shoot people with my wide glass, but this shows how it can we well done. How close to the guy were you, and how far back was the softbox?

Thanks! I was standing right under the softbox when I took the photo, and I would say I was about four feet away from the subject.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

Tried to take a couple of my brother.

This was some random girl under London Bridge.

I think it was this thread where it had a diagram of where bodies shouldn't be cropped at. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Clown fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 20, 2013

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

Clown posted:

I think it was this thread where it had a diagram of where bodies shouldn't be cropped at. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Totally unrelated but I really, really like your watermarking, it's a perfect blend of legibility and unobtrusiveness, is it a custom script you've made?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SimonomiS posted:

Totally unrelated but I really, really like your watermarking, it's a perfect blend of legibility and unobtrusiveness, is it a custom script you've made?

I didn't even notice it until you said something and I want to second what you said. One of like three watermarks I haven't found totally obnoxious.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I didn't even notice it until you said something and I want to second what you said. One of like three watermarks I haven't found totally obnoxious.
Wait, you mean you find this totally obnoxious???

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How else would JScott prevent people from stealing his cell phone quality photos of girl's high school volleyball?

Man has to make a living.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

SimonomiS posted:

Thanks, but I shouldn't take credit for it. My friend uses the exact same font and I told him to make one for me too. It exports from Lightroom at 7% or 10% depending on how big the resolution is :).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Halloween 'Best Dressed Couple' winners from Saturday's gig. 580exII on a monopod with a white shoot-through brolly held above the camera, triggered with my Phottix unit.

I really like my monopod one-light setup, it was mostly cheap as hell except the trigger set and you could buy a long straight sync cord instead if cash is tight. Monopod + angle strobe bracket with tripod screw + brolly = maybe £30?

<edit> oops that's the Instagram version :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 21, 2013

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Wario In Real Life posted:

Wait, you mean you find this totally obnoxious???

Hahahahahahhaa

Clown posted:

I would tell your bro to close his mouth. I don't know why so many people do that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Clown posted:

It sounds really spergy but I think it's something a portrait photographer should know. Never ever ever button the bottom button of a suit. Of you're taking somebody's picture and they do that, get them to unbotton it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Halloween 'Best Dressed Couple' winners from Saturday's gig. 580exII on a monopod with a white shoot-through brolly held above the camera, triggered with my Phottix unit.

I really like my monopod one-light setup, it was mostly cheap as hell except the trigger set and you could buy a long straight sync cord instead if cash is tight. Monopod + angle strobe bracket with tripod screw + brolly = maybe £30?

<edit> oops that's the Instagram version :o:

This has a crazy magenta tint and could probably be warmed up a little also.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
So I'm graduating in January. Was in the official photoshoot this week and brought my camera to take some candids of my friends thru the whole process. The place was DARK and I couldn't use any flash since there was an actual photographer doing the official pics there. Looking for any kind of criticism as i'm fairly new to the whole shooting people thing.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The first one is really cool but the rest are just blah.
e: like, really, really cool

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah that first one owns. The last one would be good if you cropped out Creepydude McHairhelmet from the right side.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Head 5 by alkanphel, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I had a little pro bono shoot to create a promo shot for an upcoming concert. First photoshop-heavy job I've done. Feel free to laugh at it, it's supposed to be hokey.

DSC03881_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Also, don't zoom 'cause my cutting is poo poo

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I feel like that might work better (still hokey) with substantially less contrast on the people, over the background as-is.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Reichstag posted:

I feel like that might work better (still hokey) with substantially less contrast on the people, over the background as-is.

Yeah this. Clarity and contrast way down.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
From a couple months ago, looked at it again, think I like it now.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Reichstag posted:

I really like this, it's very Mannequin-esque.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RangerScum posted:

snap!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

RangerScum posted:

You son of a bitch (no offense meant to your mother).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

From parts unknown...

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Reichstag posted:

RangerScum posted:

That's why he liked it.

Edit vv Nah

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

RangerScum posted:

We have a 1077, shots fired.