Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have heard stories of restaurants in Asia that have been using one continuous pot of soup broth for like 30 years. So I guess it's a thing you could do but for home use I don't see the point. It's going to get pretty gross even if it's not going to hurt you. Just imagining the hunk of meat that keeps getting lost and has been sitting in there two weeks until you finally get it out and it's turned into some unholy abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Is it possible to make oatmeal in a slow-cooker with rolled oats? I just discovered why all of the recipes I've found say to use steel cut oats. Hint: It's because rolled oats cook too fast and turn apple cinnamon oatmeal into apple cinnamon gravy.

I only have an hour in the morning to shower, eat, and get my poo poo together, so overnight recipes would be goddamn fantastic.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you have a microwave, oats take like 3 minutes on 50% power. Just use a large bowl, because it tends to boil over otherwise.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Does anyone know a recipe for vobla? (Russian style, salt-cured, dried fish.) I caught some roaches while fishing today and I'd like to try it out since common roach is otherwise pretty difficult to cook. I tried searching for instructions online but I can only find places that want to sell it to me, not help me make it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

What's a good garlic press?

I usually go with pre-minced garlic, but I figured I should try using it fresh this time. I bought a $10 press at the grocery store with a plastic handle, and it hardly minced the garlic, and while I was applying a bunch of pressure on it to mince some through, the drat thing broke. I had to mince the remaining cloves by hand, which took forever. Is there a good brand? I presume I should go with a sturdier, all-metal one.

Also, I went with pre-sliced mushrooms today for convenience, and when I opened the package, a few slices had gone all fuzzy. I threw them all out to be on the safe side, but for future reference in cases like that, are the unfuzzy mushrooms in the same package safe, or is the whole thing tainted?

This pasta is not coming together today :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bluedeanie posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-099-685-Garlic-Press-Black/dp/B00062B0EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335724468&sr=8-1

Solid metal and cheap, nice big hopper, don't even need to peel the garlic (although I find that cutting off the hard bottoms of each clove makes pressing a lot easier).

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
GWS recommend me...

- Some great lentil(preferably the green kind) recipes.

- A good oyster knife

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Aggro posted:

Is it possible to make oatmeal in a slow-cooker with rolled oats? I just discovered why all of the recipes I've found say to use steel cut oats. Hint: It's because rolled oats cook too fast and turn apple cinnamon oatmeal into apple cinnamon gravy.

I only have an hour in the morning to shower, eat, and get my poo poo together, so overnight recipes would be goddamn fantastic.

If you boil steel cut oats for 1 minute the night before, you can heat them up in the microwave or on the stove in the morning.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Huskalator posted:

GWS recommend me...
- A good oyster knife

I like the OXO. get it at BB&B for about 7bux

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
What are some good recipes to use with shirataki noodles. I figured I would try some this week since I found a place that actually sells them.

EDIT: Still keeping with the low carb mentality that comes with eating shirataki would be preferred.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 30, 2012

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Hi, I'm a college student who usually buys fresh (not always) and read that it's pretty possible to gently caress up powdered spices on my shelf. I only ever keep cumin and chili powder (usually a few other things when they're cheap) in ground forms on my shelf because I prefer to mince most everything else I can use. What can I do to keep from "ruining" my spices?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dried spices eventually lose a lot of their flavor, there's not much you can do about it. Keep them in sealed bags with the air squeezed out and away from moisture to maximize their lifespan. They're not really hosed up and it's not like they'll hurt you, they're just not very potent after a while.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Alright, that makes me feel better. Should I dump them from the cruddy plastic containers into a bag?

(I was worried more than I should be. Still in the process of moving from 'canned and bottled everything' to 'canned and bottled only when necessary')

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If the containers have a nice airtight seal there's not much difference, I wouldn't bother. Try to find an ethnic market of some sort when you buy your next batch to save mad dollaz. You'll feel better about throwing out the old and getting fresh spices if you only paid a dollar in the first place. Indian and Chinese/Generic Asian ones generally have the best selection in my experience. Those usually come in lovely bags that you want to replace with ziplocs.

Dried spices have many perfectly legitimate uses, don't feel like a scrub for using them.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I usually try to buy bulk spices in those lovely bags, then transfer them to big canisters with airtight seals and store them in a cupboard.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Planning to make some flour Tortilla's tomorrow. I'd like to make them whole wheat if possible. Is it okay to sub half the white flour for whole wheat or would that mess them up?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I just (hopefully) finished some cured salmon, but I'm a bit worried about it. It was a small piece, and it spent two full days in the cure, but the inside feels soft. The thickest part of the filet wasn't completely covered when I pulled it out of the cure gunk, so I cut around that bit, but do you think this looks safe to eat?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Happy Abobo posted:

I just (hopefully) finished some cured salmon, but I'm a bit worried about it. It was a small piece, and it spent two full days in the cure, but the inside feels soft. The thickest part of the filet wasn't completely covered when I pulled it out of the cure gunk, so I cut around that bit, but do you think this looks safe to eat?

It looks okay; does it smell okay? If you cured it wrong enough for it to be dangerous, it would smell obviously off. If it smells fine, it's probably fine.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

pnumoman posted:

It looks okay; does it smell okay? If you cured it wrong enough for it to be dangerous, it would smell obviously off. If it smells fine, it's probably fine.

Nah, it doesn't smell off. I'm just a bit worried because I realized that I used wild salmon, which I've heard is much more likely to have parasites than farm-raised, and because I didn't buy sushi grade, so I don't think it's been frozen beforehand.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Happy Abobo posted:

Nah, it doesn't smell off. I'm just a bit worried because I realized that I used wild salmon, which I've heard is much more likely to have parasites than farm-raised, and because I didn't buy sushi grade, so I don't think it's been frozen beforehand.

You'll be fine. Eat it.

putang
Dec 19, 2005

I just moved to my own apartment this month and have yet to buy any pots and pans. I will eventually end up with probably one pan and one pot, maybe a wok, but for the time being I was thinking of just buying some sort of portable grill.

I'm on a tight budget so I figured grilling everything would be cheaper and healthier than sticking a batch of chicken in the oven over the weekend for my week's worth of meat (since I don't have pots and pans yet). What do you guys think?

And is there any type of recommended grill on a budget?

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
Any UK goons know of somewhere I can buy good dark rye bread?

In case that doesn't pan out, anyone got a recipe they like for a dark rye bread? P.S. I loving suck at baking - way too cavalier - please hold my hand.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Myopic posted:

I'd check a local bakery. Mine here in backwoods Idaho makes a decent rye bread, I can't imagine it would be that different where you are.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
Because I'm a heathen, I usually buy my cheese from the grocery store, so my question is how long does sliced cheese usually last?

I'm guessing a little longer than cold cuts, but how much longer?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've had sliced cheese last 2-3 months, most online sources seem to say it lasts 2 weeks. YMMV.

I've been on the same block of cheddar for 5 months now, saran wrapped in a thick ziploc bag and squeezing the air out.

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.

Huskalator posted:

- Some great lentil(preferably the green kind) recipes.

Right this way. Look for dino's Daal recipe in the second or third post, but there are great lentil recipes throughout the thread.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Well I just bullshitted my way through a yellow chicken curry. I hope it's good as I've never made anything like this before :ohdear:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Anyone know if Pizza Hut's P'zones are made fresh in each store?

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

SERPUS posted:

Anyone know if Pizza Hut's P'zones are made fresh in each store?

I worked there in 2006, I believe, and they were handmade then. We basically just made a pizza, folded it in half, slit the top, brushed oil on the top and sent it through the oven.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Anyone know a good spice mix for gyro meat? I just blew twenty bucks worth of ground lamb on Alton Brown's recipe and it tastes like poo poo.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Abobo posted:

Anyone know a good spice mix for gyro meat? I just blew twenty bucks worth of ground lamb on Alton Brown's recipe and it tastes like poo poo.

I usually do rosemary, marjoram, fresh garlic, pureed and wringed in a towel onion, a bit of ground coriander, and a bit of cumin. and salt of course.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I usually do rosemary, marjoram, fresh garlic, pureed and wringed in a towel onion, a bit of ground coriander, and a bit of cumin. and salt of course.

Hmmm. I used all of those except the coriander and cumin. Do you use dried herbs?

I'm also starting to think I used the wrong meat. After baking the loaf, you're supposed to pour off the fat, and there wasn't a single drop to pour off. The finished loaf is springy and rubbery and overly chewy. Maybe I used too lean of a ground lamb. That could explain the texture, and maybe the crap flavour is just the missing fat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Abobo posted:

Hmmm. I used all of those except the coriander and cumin. Do you use dried herbs?

I'm also starting to think I used the wrong meat. After baking the loaf, you're supposed to pour off the fat, and there wasn't a single drop to pour off. The finished loaf is springy and rubbery and overly chewy. Maybe I used too lean of a ground lamb. That could explain the texture, and maybe the crap flavour is just the missing fat.

yeah, usual meatloaf/sausage rules apply. You want at least a good 20% fat or so. Must've been some really fancy ground lamb if there was no fat to pour off.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bluedeanie posted:

I usually go with pre-minced garlic, but I figured I should try using it fresh this time. I bought a $10 press at the grocery store with a plastic handle, and it hardly minced the garlic, and while I was applying a bunch of pressure on it to mince some through, the drat thing broke. I had to mince the remaining cloves by hand, which took forever. Is there a good brand? I presume I should go with a sturdier, all-metal one.

Also, I went with pre-sliced mushrooms today for convenience, and when I opened the package, a few slices had gone all fuzzy. I threw them all out to be on the safe side, but for future reference in cases like that, are the unfuzzy mushrooms in the same package safe, or is the whole thing tainted?

This pasta is not coming together today :(

I urge you to never again use pre-minced garlic or pre-sliced mushrooms. Those things are ridiculously expensive compared to regular old garlic and mushrooms. The thing that sucks the most about mincing garlic is peeling it, but that's actually pretty easy. Slicing mushrooms – come on man. Mushrooms are one of the easiest things to fabricate in the world.

Part of why I'm suggesting this is precisely the problem you experienced – the greater surface area will go off more quickly. The garlic will taste flat and metallic, the mushrooms will get gross.

Finally, Kitchenaid makes a solid garlic press, but I really don't like pressed garlic. The flavor of garlic comes from the interaction of two compounds that are exposed to one another when cell walls are broken. Pressing garlic just utterly obliterates all the cell walls, which I think makes for a harsh unpleasant taste. Learning how to cut up your garlic is an excellent skill that will really improve your dishes.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Happy Abobo posted:

We had this tonight, actually. I used fresh rosemary, dried marjoram, fresh oregano, fresh mint, cumin, garlic, and black pepper in mine. You definitely need some fat in there. I also ground some onion in with the lamb instead of just mincing it and mixing them by hand.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Kenning posted:

I urge you to never again use pre-minced garlic or pre-sliced mushrooms. Those things are ridiculously expensive compared to regular old garlic and mushrooms. The thing that sucks the most about mincing garlic is peeling it, but that's actually pretty easy. Slicing mushrooms – come on man. Mushrooms are one of the easiest things to fabricate in the world.

Part of why I'm suggesting this is precisely the problem you experienced – the greater surface area will go off more quickly. The garlic will taste flat and metallic, the mushrooms will get gross.

Finally, Kitchenaid makes a solid garlic press, but I really don't like pressed garlic. The flavor of garlic comes from the interaction of two compounds that are exposed to one another when cell walls are broken. Pressing garlic just utterly obliterates all the cell walls, which I think makes for a harsh unpleasant taste. Learning how to cut up your garlic is an excellent skill that will really improve your dishes.

At least around here, a pound of sliced mushrooms costs exactly the same as a pound of whole. I buy them whole because I like chopping things and I prefer my mushrooms sliced thinner than the precut ones are cut, but yeah. Zero cost difference.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Planning to make some flour Tortilla's tomorrow. I'd like to make them whole wheat if possible. Is it okay to sub half the white flour for whole wheat or would that mess them up?

I do this all the time. Works fine.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, usual meatloaf/sausage rules apply. You want at least a good 20% fat or so. Must've been some really fancy ground lamb if there was no fat to pour off.

Yeah, I thought so. The butcher didn't have any ground lamb on hand so he had to grind it for me. I should've specified that I wanted a lot of fat in there. I think I'll try it with ground pork next time. It's a lot easier to find and at least I'd be guaranteed that it'd be pretty fatty.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Well I just bullshitted my way through a yellow chicken curry. I hope it's good as I've never made anything like this before :ohdear:

This came out alright. It was lacking a lot of curry flavor and I think I would attribute that to the lovely Thai ingredients that I had from my local generic grocery store. Here's my process:

- Heat neutral oil up until shimmering, place 5 chicken thighs in
- Brown on both sides, reserve
- Turn down heat, threw in two onions to let get translucent
- Throw in some cumin and toasted coriander, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, fresh chopped ginger
- 3 big tablespoons of the yellow Thai curry paste (lovely Roland brand)
- Put chicken back into pan then pour in two cans of coconut milk
- I put another glob of curry paste in as it didn't seem yellow enough, half a juice of lime
- Throw in sliced red pepper and carrot
- Simmer for ~30 minutes

It tasted like a yellow chicken curry but there wasn't really any sweetness that I thought would have come with the coconut milk and the curry flavor wasn't pronounced. Next time I don't want to use that paste and find the actual spices. Also, I think I should find thai basil and some other herbs to freshen it up more.

How far off was I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Myopic posted:

In case that doesn't pan out, anyone got a recipe they like for a dark rye bread? P.S. I loving suck at baking - way too cavalier - please hold my hand.

Do you have a Polish shop near you? They'll have some.