Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is it just me or is it a lot harder to swipe back after the update?

I've noticed this as well.

Can't swipe from the very edge of the phone anymore; I found that 5mm or so from the edge tends to work the best. Steady acceleration (one smooth movement from the side) is required as well. It's finicky now.

That said, the pain is worth it for the swipe from the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there a way to view all the smilies in the app?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

jink posted:

Agreed. That is actually one of the nice things about Alien Blue, thread navigation is very smooth.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Agreed. That is actually one of the nice things about Alien Blue, thread navigation is very smooth.

Shame about the Reddit though.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Odd suggestion: a way to look at the forum's changelog directly in the settings? I don't imagine it'd be too much work to implement, just thought of it the other day when I realised I couldn't get to them within the app like I could the website. Maybe it's a dumb idea, but whatever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

jink posted:

I've noticed this as well.

Can't swipe from the very edge of the phone anymore; I found that 5mm or so from the edge tends to work the best. Steady acceleration (one smooth movement from the side) is required as well. It's finicky now.

Yo Froist looks like you're not done yet!

david_a posted:

Is there a way to view all the smilies in the app?

No, but it's on the list!

Athletic Footjob posted:

Odd suggestion: a way to look at the forum's changelog directly in the settings? I don't imagine it'd be too much work to implement, just thought of it the other day when I realised I couldn't get to them within the app like I could the website. Maybe it's a dumb idea, but whatever.

Not a dumb idea at all! I'll throw it on the list. Might come in handy when poo poo breaks.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

jink posted:

I've had a play with this but I can't seem to pinpoint anything in particular that's making it harder (or notice any difference to be honest, but as two posters have raised it I'll admit something must have changed). Swiping back from the bezel itself definitely still works for me, and it feels like the active margin within the screen's bounds is about the same as any other app. Again I'm not trying to be dismissive, I just can't spot any specific difference in behaviour at the moment.

The only thing I can think is that we're don't implement shouldReceiveTouch which the default delegate for the interactivePopGestureRecognizer does (and returns YES for anywhere on the screen if there are views to pop).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Possible fun times ahead:

radiums enemy posted:

Because we can't support third party apps, and those apps were made without access to the backend so they are not necessarily very robust if I start changing things around, which I will.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Froist posted:

I've had a play with this but I can't seem to pinpoint anything in particular that's making it harder (or notice any difference to be honest, but as two posters have raised it I'll admit something must have changed). Swiping back from the bezel itself definitely still works for me, and it feels like the active margin within the screen's bounds is about the same as any other app. Again I'm not trying to be dismissive, I just can't spot any specific difference in behaviour at the moment.
Yeah, I'm noticing a difference too. I actually like it though, since I used to find it way too easy to swipe back by accident and since the update that's not happening any more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it means separating the data and presentation components, I'm all for a few months of rough going.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

And we got so loving close to getting JSON output :sigh:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do spoiler tags not work in a post preview?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

Do spoiler tags not work in a post preview?

Hahahaha nope they sure don't!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Noticed a bookmark dupe. Refreshing bookmarks didn't fix it but going into both threads fixed it. Latest awful and iOS, iPhone 5.

I take it back, I thought going into both threads refreshed an errant label but it was just Awful doing the no-new-posts sorting:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 21, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

the yeti posted:

Noticed a bookmark dupe. Refreshing bookmarks didn't fix it but going into both threads fixed it. Latest awful and iOS, iPhone 5.

I take it back, I thought going into both threads refreshed an errant label but it was just Awful doing the no-new-posts sorting:

Ugh.

It'll probably also fix itself if you refresh the list, by pulling down from the top.

Man I hate NSFetchedResultsController and/or my inability to use it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo so this app rules and I appreciate all the hard work that's gone into it. The recent changes the past month or two have been drastic. I'm a nerd but no programmer/whatever can I donate to the cause or is there just too many people involved in it to do that?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 25, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Too many people to sort out what a fair split would be. Glad you like it though!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hey man I got like :10bux: or so to throw down that's a lot of $1 burritos!?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm pretty sure that everyone who contributes would agree that it should go to pokeyman.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

gently caress that. I want it all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is attachment viewing known-broken?

This isn't showing up in-app, but is on the web: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646538&perpage=40&pagenumber=185#post433989150

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Works for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Diabolik900 posted:

Works for me.

Me now too. Thanks for the quick fix!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Is attachment viewing known-broken?

This isn't showing up in-app, but is on the web: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646538&perpage=40&pagenumber=185#post433989150

I see the magazine cover in the post, but not in the subsequent quote.

I'm trying to piece together what happened there, and it looks like the post originally had the wrong url for the img tag, which was then fixed in a ninja edit. I'm guessing the image wasn't uploaded though or it would've been in timg tags in the first place (it's not in a timg in the quote). Maybe Awful hosed up pasting the image url?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It looks like the image URL is missing the file extension in the quote. If it was never uploaded, it wouldn't have that URL would it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

It looks like the image URL is missing the file extension in the quote. If it was never uploaded, it wouldn't have that URL would it?

Right, the quoted URL is for the Imgur page that displays the image. The browser thinks it's loading an image, gets some HTML instead, and you get a broken image. If you add the extension you get redirected to the URL for the image proper.

Current theories are that either Awful snagged the wrong URL from the API response, or Awful chopped off the extension when pasting the URL.

Something uploaded the image, I just don't think it was Awful.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Noticing changes in SA related to custom CSS for users:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/CHANGES posted:

* 2014-08-18 17:14:27 Admins may now assign custom CSS classes to individual users for their usernames
* 2014-08-15 14:17:15 Platinum users now receive a special CSS user group on their username

Seems like that 'remote load of CSS' on the roadmap might be useful soon!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jink posted:

Noticing changes in SA related to custom CSS for users:

Seems like that 'remote load of CSS' on the roadmap might be useful soon!

The remote CSS stuff is done already, but that change to the forums actually makes it less useful (for now). In the past, when they did stuff like add soccer balls to peoples names on the forums, they would do it by adding each individual user's id to the CSS, so it would be something like:

code:
.userid-12345,
.userid-12346,
.userid-12347,
.userid-12348 {
}
Now, admins could just add a "soccerball" class, so the CSS would just be like this:

code:
.soccerball {
}
That's ultimately a much better way of doing it, but right now Awful wouldn't have that "soccerball" class in its templates. We need to start grabbing all the classes on that particular DOM element and replicating them in our templates. I was actually planning to tinker with that later tonight.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ComradeCosmobot posted:

A final note on reproducibility:

I've now had fairly good luck (>75-80%) reproducing the bug (or a closely related one) as follows:

1. Open a previously unread thread (or a thread with unread posts in it)
2. When the loading indicator in the OS time/status bar (next to the cell/wifi status) disappears, but the "Loading" pinwheel is still spinning in the body of the app, immediately background the app (by, for example, going to the home screen)
3. Return to Awful. The "Loading" pinwheel should be frozen for several seconds before being replaced by the thread (although I have occasionally seen it still spin, perhaps if the app is backgrounded very soon after the loading indicator disappears?). Any previously unread posts will then appear blank while any previously read posts will appear normally.

This does not appear to work on pages containing previously read (presumably cached) posts. Backgrounding while the status bar loading indicator is visible also does not have the same effect (it will reload the page successfully before rendering)

I just wanted to post a followup on this, as it seems to have been fixed as of the latest version (or if not "fixed", at least replaced by a new dialog which mentions Cocoa error 133020).

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

how about turning links to twitter into embedded tweets and also letting me tweet pics. really wanna steal funny pics here for my twitter and vice versa

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I just wanted to post a followup on this, as it seems to have been fixed as of the latest version (or if not "fixed", at least replaced by a new dialog which mentions Cocoa error 133020).

Well that's handy, as I did exactly nothing to fix it. Or if I did something I forgot already. Thanks for following up!

PleasureKevin posted:

how about turning links to twitter into embedded tweets and also letting me tweet pics. really wanna steal funny pics here for my twitter and vice versa

Embedded tweets, probably not. Tweeting pictures, definitely!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Embedded tweets, probably not.

I'm gonna go with every developer's favorite suggestion: make it an option! I would actually like this, but I know it's not for everyone.

pokeyman posted:

Tweeting pictures, definitely!

Along these lines, I'm sure it's occurred to you already but come iOS 8 it'll probably be a really good idea to use the native share sheet for images and links.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm gonna go with every developer's favorite suggestion: make it an option! I would actually like this, but I know it's not for everyone.

I hate embedded tweets so much. Ugh.

If someone else does it though, I probably won't rip it out on principle.

quote:

Along these lines, I'm sure it's occurred to you already but come iOS 8 it'll probably be a really good idea to use the native share sheet for images and links.

Yep!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I hate embedded tweets so much. Ugh.

You're a good man, pokeyman.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
How about uploading images as img instead of timg?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kode54 posted:

How about uploading images as img instead of timg?

Should work for small images. Does it not?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

Should work for small images. Does it not?

I don't know. I was posting large size web comics into the GBS web comics thread, where some people frown upon timg due to how it reacts when the forum is viewed on touchscreen devices in a normal web browser.

I even noticed a bit late that it automatically uploaded all of my img tag pasted image links to imgur, even though I already went through the process of uploading them there myself first and was pasting imgur links. I wasn't even sure whether saving the images and uploading them would result in the originals being posted, or downsampled JPEGs, since when I attempted to upload saved versions of the images using imgur.com instead, it referred to all of them as "image.jpg", even though all of the originals were PNGs.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 1, 2014

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ok can we un-embed YouTube then to be consistent

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the yos plus chrome extension embeds tweets so it would be great to have feature parity with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

the yos plus chrome extension embeds tweets so it would be great to have feature parity with that

I'm in the pro-embedded Tweets camp, and will probably work on doing it myself if nobody else gets to it sooner, but I don't think that feature parity with yos plus, SALR, or any other third-party app/extension is ever going to be a goal. Honestly, the app still doesn't even have feature parity with the website yet.

• Locked thread