Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gmq posted:

I just finished Bioshock Infinite and jesus christ, it's the first game that has been able to make me angry due to the stupidity of its story.
I didn't get angry at it, I knew it was going to be stupid and I was entertained by how dumb it was. Bear in mind I also enjoyed how terrible Indigo Prophecy's story ended. That was amazing.

If you get angry at BI's story then definitely don't play Burial at Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

I didn't get angry at it, I knew it was going to be stupid and I was entertained by how dumb it was. Bear in mind I also enjoyed how terrible Indigo Prophecy's story ended. That was amazing.

I never really cared about how nuts Indigo Prophecy's story was. I thought it was a pretty neat game.

I was confused a bit by the loving Matrix stuff, but I can't say it bothered me. I felt like I had just seen the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles walk in during a scene of Schindler's List.

At some point you just gotta roll with it. Bioshock was just irredeemably stupid, however. Aggressively so.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 25, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

gmq posted:

I just finished Bioshock Infinite and jesus christ, it's the first game that has been able to make me angry due to the stupidity of its story.
The story is one of those things where people are going to sit down and nitpick half to death, especially when you had all that time to write it and poo poo. People throw around the term "fridge logic" too often but honestly if you are going to be writing stupid time travel fiction for a bunch of nerds you better show up for it and not really just wing most of it.

Also on the surface level enough of it was just dumb enough even most people started catching on. Thank god the game is gorgeous as hell though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

The story is one of those things where people are going to sit down and nitpick half to death, especially when you had all that time to write it and poo poo. People throw around the term "fridge logic" too often but honestly if you are going to be writing stupid time travel fiction for a bunch of nerds you better show up for it and not really just wing most of it.

Also on the surface level enough of it was just dumb enough even most people started catching on. Thank god the game is gorgeous as hell though.

For me the worst part was the whole 'creating sides of villainy' crap with the revolution/ That was lazy and terrible and whatever. For the time/dimension travel I kinda give things a pass, because there's no real world comparison it would work however the gently caress you want it to.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why won't the game drop health for me when I loving need it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Justin_Brett posted:

Why won't the game drop health for me when I loving need it.

It's trying to get you to stop playing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

For me the worst part was the whole 'creating sides of villainy' crap with the revolution/ That was lazy and terrible and whatever. For the time/dimension travel I kinda give things a pass, because there's no real world comparison it would work however the gently caress you want it to.
It seems like they only had the revolution so that they could have more enemy types and to have something to create disaster in the city beyond your control -- game design needs trumping story logic, basically. They tried to rectify some of their story decisions with Burial at Sea but then they compound the issue with a bunch of new dumb ideas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It seems like they only had the revolution so that they could have more enemy types and to have something to create disaster in the city beyond your control -- game design needs trumping story logic, basically. They tried to rectify some of their story decisions with Burial at Sea but then they compound the issue with a bunch of new dumb ideas.

I'm kinda willing to give the revolution arc a pass. Considering the game was in development hell long enough to go through two or three complete revisions, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole concept of the multiverse mechanic was an attempt to unify whatever they had completed from each of the various builds.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm kinda willing to give the revolution arc a pass. Considering the game was in development hell long enough to go through two or three complete revisions, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole concept of the multiverse mechanic was an attempt to unify whatever they had completed from each of the various builds.

So you'll give a bad story arc a pass because people worked really hard on it?

Jesus, I want you for a boss when I stop caring about my job.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Is BI worth playing in any way, stupid story aside? Saw one of my friends playing it when it came out and it had arrows on the floor telling you where to go. They were optional I think but the fact that they got something in there makes me feel very uncomfortable inside. If it's another one of those "Move from A-B, press button, proceed from there while shooting at things" kind of games then that's gonna suck

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

eukara posted:

Is BI worth playing in any way, stupid story aside? Saw one of my friends playing it when it came out and it had arrows on the floor telling you where to go. They were optional I think but the fact that they got something in there makes me feel very uncomfortable inside. If it's another one of those "Move from A-B, press button, proceed from there while shooting at things" kind of games then that's gonna suck

It's REALLY good looking. And I enjoyed the animation of the girl who follows you. I thought that was really well done.

It's a bells and whistles game. If you've played and enjoyed Modern Warfare you can get through BI. I wouldn't pay more than $8-$10 bucks to do so, however. And that's on the high side. Just because there are more fun games.

People always play little indie poo poo and seem to enjoy that, this is certainly not worse than those.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

eukara posted:

If it's another one of those "Move from A-B, press button, proceed from there while shooting at things" kind of games then that's gonna suck

Welp.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Oh well, it's just that there are still tons of these games in my library that I haven't fully inished yet, like RAGE and that's pretty much just that

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It manages to get worse?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

eukara posted:

Oh well, it's just that there are still tons of these games in my library that I haven't fully inished yet, like RAGE and that's pretty much just that
Rage ends on a cliffhanger and is an utter failure as an engine demo, but it's the best revolver sniping shooter out there.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

eukara posted:

Is BI worth playing in any way, stupid story aside?

The opening stuff before you launch into fighting people left and right is actually really good and super-detailed, and is cool to explore.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Rage ends on a cliffhanger and is an utter failure as an engine demo, but it's the best revolver sniping shooter out there.

I really liked most of the weapons in it so far, I heard the ending was so awful that you better stop playing before it happens. Not sure if it can ever beat Half-Life 2 in terms of cliffhanger though?

duckfarts posted:

The opening stuff before you launch into fighting people left and right is actually really good and super-detailed, and is cool to explore.

Good gunplay and exploration keeps me playing. That's why I like Far Cry 2 A LOT, played it for over 20 hours without starting any mission.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The ending isn't awful as such it just... Ends.

It feels like 3/4 of a game and that there should be another chapter before and after the 'final' mission.

As you say, the weapons (and ammo options) are good, the enemy reactions are great, but the level design is pretty average and Mega Textures (TM) are poo poo in practice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The final boss of Rage is some monkeys from System Shock 2. And a button with a timer.

VodeAndreas posted:

and Mega Textures (TM) are poo poo in practice.
The best part about it is that they presented the tech as being able to make every corner of the world unique and proceeded to fill the levels with rust, mass-produced items and buildings made out of standard blocks, with floor tile.
Why the gently caress did they not make a Van Gogh, Dali, Bosch-themed shooter?

Also, Nightmare difficulty is broken. Most enemies still die to one pistol head shot, but the big heavy ones take ages to kill with everything.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Magic Underwear posted:

Basically gently caress Binary Domain, play Hard Reset.

gently caress you and your bad taste, mister! Also they aren't even remotely similar apart from "you shoot robbits".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Well that's pretty much damning and true considering how angry "gamers" get when you take away their mechanics and tell them to walk around and discover the story for themselves rather than hear someone vomit it out for you in between areas where you shoot mans.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Why the gently caress did they not make a Van Gogh, Dali, Bosch-themed shooter?

Or a H.R. Giger FPS game made by a competent developer that focuses on athmospherics. Set in his WORLD not just parts and bits from it like Alien.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

Well that's pretty much damning and true considering how angry "gamers" get when you take away their mechanics and tell them to walk around and discover the story for themselves rather than hear someone vomit it out for you in between areas where you shoot mans.

What?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

I'm not sure your two examples are any different.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm saying that at some point they must have realized that shooting the same enemy types would get old after a while but they didn't want to keep coming up with new enemies, so they just decided to put the city at war so they could reskin enemies. A game design decision that impacts the storytelling, because now they have to make the other faction JUST AS EVIL.

I don't know that Bioshock Infinite would be better if it was a walking sim (an opinion I hold of several games), because I actually think swinging around on sky hooks and blasting the shotgun is fun. I think that instead of having the war, they could have had more times without combat, and had the kind of combat-walkingsim balance that The Darkness I and II have. But they just had to keep having antagonists angry at you and never let up. How about more time travelling through tears? Like being in 1980s world or whatever. When are we going to get 1980Shock?

I would give it a B grade, as a silly sci-fi romp.

Anyway. I decided I'm going to give Alpha Protocol a try again. I gave up on it in the first area even though everyone says the game gets better after it. I'm gonna slog through that first area and get to the better parts this time.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 25, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I would give it a B grade, as a silly sci-fi romp.

It's rompin' for a stompin'!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Anyway. I decided I'm going to give Alpha Protocol a try again. I gave up on it in the first area even though everyone says the game gets better after it. I'm gonna slog through that first area and get to the better parts this time.
Please do. The Middle East chapter in Alpha Protocol is just badly-designed in general. It's full of blind spots, hacking minigames in open areas in a part of the game before you really have access to EMPs to bypass them, enemies in guard towers juuuuuuust out of reach for someone of your level to snipe, and of course a ton of interactive objects that instantly alert enemies in a part of the game where getting spotted is a death sentence. The setpieces are generic military base poo poo so not only are they bland crap you've seen a hundred times in a hundred movies and games, but it can get really easy to get turned around in them--especially the airstrip and the final area.

Compared to the rest of the game, it's goddamn night and day. Instead of being down on brown people with funny accents, you slam fat Russians into bars before getting all bro with them and buying them drinks, play email tag with a Timecube conspiracy theorist, and fight everything from gun runners to special agents to black ops poo poo and even Winnie the Pooh.

No, seriously.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Did anyone ever make some fix for alpha protocol where you can play on the highest difficulty and not have the hacking minigames be completely loving stupid? (and occasionally literally impossible)

I really loved that game, and would have loved to play through it on hard difficulties too, but not with the way they went about making the hacking "dificult" on higher settings. They make it so your timer is ridiculously short. So short that in fact, sometimes you literally don't have time to solve the minigame, even when you immediately see where you need to move. Moving the cursor around at the fastest speed, physically there was not enough time no matter what.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 25, 2014

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

Started Binary Domain, immediately wished I could remap the controls (aim was Back button, shoot was start, L/R looked up and down?? right stick didn't even work). Not that I can't play it with M+KB but I've been leanback gaming a lot, it's a little disappointing. I'll come back to it later. Obviously that's a glitch or something.

Are you using a wireless 360 controller? The device id is ever so slightly different to the wired version so the default config on some games can screw up and have things assigned to the wrong button.

Try here https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

LibbyM posted:

Did anyone ever make some fix for alpha protocol where you can play on the highest difficulty and not have the hacking minigames be completely loving stupid? (and occasionally literally impossible)

Nope

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So I bought the Dishonered pack with all the DLC. Had the game already downloaded due to the free weekend. Now it insists on downloading the game again every time I start Steam, even though I can play it just fine.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How much game get you get out of Firefall before it starts to suck/supergrind? Also how lag-friendly is it? I need to download and play this on Australian internet. I have mates playing it at the moment but it's also an 8GB download (Which I assume needs to patch too).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When games debut on Steam, does that generally mean 12am PDT the day of, or later?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

When games debut on Steam, does that generally mean 12am PDT the day of, or later?

Usually 10 am pdt when it's not a big release.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Croccers posted:

How much game get you get out of Firefall before it starts to suck/supergrind? Also how lag-friendly is it? I need to download and play this on Australian internet. I have mates playing it at the moment but it's also an 8GB download (Which I assume needs to patch too).

I found it bad almost immediately if that helps.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Bioshock Infinite is a great game. Maybe the story is bad, but I didn't really pay attention to it. I had no idea people cared so much about stories in video games that weren't RPGs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Eruonen posted:

Bioshock Infinite is a great game. Maybe the story is bad, but I didn't really pay attention to it. I had no idea people cared so much about stories in video games that weren't RPGs.

Gamers get to mock cliched stories until anybody attempts to do something new, then they get to mock those for being pretentious. It's a win-win!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

The White Dragon posted:

Please do. The Middle East chapter in Alpha Protocol is just badly-designed in general. It's full of blind spots, hacking minigames in open areas in a part of the game before you really have access to EMPs to bypass them, enemies in guard towers juuuuuuust out of reach for someone of your level to snipe, and of course a ton of interactive objects that instantly alert enemies in a part of the game where getting spotted is a death sentence. The setpieces are generic military base poo poo so not only are they bland crap you've seen a hundred times in a hundred movies and games, but it can get really easy to get turned around in them--especially the airstrip and the final area.

Compared to the rest of the game, it's goddamn night and day. Instead of being down on brown people with funny accents, you slam fat Russians into bars before getting all bro with them and buying them drinks, play email tag with a Timecube conspiracy theorist, and fight everything from gun runners to special agents to black ops poo poo and even Winnie the Pooh.

No, seriously.

Alpha Protocol is indeed awesome. I haven't gotten around to playing it in a few years, but I've decided, in my next run, every character decision will be decided by What would Sterling Archer do?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Eruonen posted:

If a game takes your control away to show you a story, the story should be good. If it is not good, you just made your game worse.

Bioshock Infinite regularly takes your control away to show you a bad story and has far too much combat for its small selection of enemy types. I wouldn't call it bad per se, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't terribly bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

I don't know that Bioshock Infinite would be better if it was a walking sim (an opinion I hold of several games), because I actually think swinging around on sky hooks and blasting the shotgun is fun. I think that instead of having the war, they could have had more times without combat, and had the kind of combat-walkingsim balance that The Darkness I and II have. But they just had to keep having antagonists angry at you and never let up. How about more time travelling through tears? Like being in 1980s world or whatever. When are we going to get 1980Shock?

It's not so much the fact you have to shoot dudes for 10 minutes between helpings of rich creamy narrative, it's the fact that it's just a terrible unsatisfying shootmans game. Like if whenever Booker the White strolled/ziplined/cutscene-exit'ed into a COMBAT ZONE a round of Halo ODST Firefight popped off I'd be playing it RIGHT NOW while only occasionally mumbling something about skyracists but instead the shootey parts are a hassle for you to deal with on your way to the next map marker.

• Locked thread