Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

After asking about gas mileage apps here and in AI, I eventually settled back on my spreadsheet. Fuelly isn't being updated, Fuelio didn't let me track mileage to the tenth, and aCar wouldn't show me mileage until I entered the next trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Fuelio is sygic and acar is fuelly, llc going by the play store

Fuelly, that's it. How could mix those two up?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Scudworth posted:

It almost always does sunsets, but also not always. And sometimes it turns them black n white. Nailed it.

Google photo assistant showed up for first time in a month and a half today to turn a bright fall foliage shot black and white + put a lovely grunge frame around it. It's beautiful. It's just what it needed.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Is there a recommended alternative to Llama seeing as it hasn't been updated in 3 years now? I'm having issues with Llama thinking silence = do not disturb which then prevents my screen from turning on when some notifications come in. I don't need very complex condition setting: sound on at home, total silence at work, and vibrate otherwise. Ideally an app using cell towers like Llama does rather than geofencing as the high rises around here seem to occasionally cause issues with GPS.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There are other automation apps like trigger or automateit but I don't think either of them operate based on cell tower. Llama was extremely good and there's nothing exactly like it afaik

E: you can use wifi networks tho if that would work

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I replaced Llama with Trigger after many years of use

Use WiFi networks instead of cell towers, back when Llama was made originally constantly scanning wifi was a battery drain, now it's done natively

e: though just had a thought, I think the version of Llama on his website just sets the volume to zero instead of going dnd? It always avoided that version specifically for that reason but if that's what you want..

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 23, 2017

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Oh interesting I didn't even think to check the developer's website. From the changelog there it sounds like it might do exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Can you set these other apps using wifi networks to trigger if you're just in range of a particular network rather than connected to it? Personal devices aren't permitted on the wifi network at my office.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shofixti posted:

Can you set these other apps using wifi networks to trigger if you're just in range of a particular network rather than connected to it? Personal devices aren't permitted on the wifi network at my office.

With at least one of them I think it was trigger there is available, connected, and disconnected so yes

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Blue Train posted:

With at least one of them I think it was trigger there is available, connected, and disconnected so yes

Awesome I'll look into that. It would actually be even better than cell towers for my purposes. Thanks!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you're just sticking with Llama you can use WiFi with that too, it's in the experimental bit. Ignore the battery warnings. You just turn it on and then add SSIDs you see in the events section

You only have to be able to see the networks, not connect to them

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a way to have a quick toggle for mono audio in the accessibility settings? Going through the settings is annoying and I'd like it if I had a semi visible reminder that mono is turned on.

(doing the single ear bud thing at work)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to have a quick toggle for mono audio in the accessibility settings? Going through the settings is annoying and I'd like it if I had a semi visible reminder that mono is turned on.

(doing the single ear bud thing at work)

This isn't exactly what you want but you can use this app to create a shortcut to the accessibility screen

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, cool. Nova can do that, too. Helpfully, the icon is a translucent figure of a human that is almost impossible to see over my background.

Apparently, I can also create a shortcut to something called "privilege". As a cis-gendered straight white guy, I need that!

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

One Note for Android does not yet feature headers as confirmed by this link a few weeks ago.

Suddenly the land that my mobile computing nirvana is built has turned to sand!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Does the mobile Chrome app have adblocker yet? Samsung internet is mostly inferior but I can avoid autoplay audio ads and videos that way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CascadeBeta posted:

Does the mobile Chrome app have adblocker yet? Samsung internet is mostly inferior but I can avoid autoplay audio ads and videos that way.

Use Firefox instead, it runs full on uBlock Origin so it'll block anything you can block on desktop.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You could also use adguard

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CascadeBeta posted:

You could also use the nerds solution and block ads everywhere.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Samsung Internet looks great and it's fast, I love using it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

TwistedNails posted:

Samsung Internet looks great and it's fast, I love using it.

I feel like this is a post from a bizarre parallel universe.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Android Lens hit my Pixel XL, and it is cool and good. I can get rid of the extra barcode scanner app now.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Luceo posted:

I feel like this is a post from a bizarre parallel universe.

I use my note 8 mostly 1 handed when browsing the internet and all of the controls are on the bottom so they are easy to reach. Also, having ad-block is great in their browser without having to do some dumb workaround. I don't like firefox and chrome doesn't have ad-blocking extensions.

edit: to add to this I'm far from alone, https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/796293-chrome-vs-samsung-internet.html

You can also sync your chrome bookmarks from your desktop to it.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 25, 2017

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

TwistedNails posted:

I use my note 8 mostly 1 handed when browsing the internet and all of the controls are on the bottom so they are easy to reach. Also, having ad-block is great in their browser without having to do some dumb workaround. I don't like firefox and chrome doesn't have ad-blocking extensions.

edit: to add to this I'm far from alone, https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/796293-chrome-vs-samsung-internet.html

You can also sync your chrome bookmarks from your desktop to it.

Though I remain skeptical of Samsung's ability to write A Good Piece of Software, my post was about thinking of a parallel universe where there's a Samsung Internet.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Blue Train posted:

You could also use adguard

This is what I did, as I didn't really like the scrolling in Firefox.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What does everyone use to get news? On iOS I used SmartNews for a while until I got annoyed I couldn't blacklist certain sites, then Apple News since it was ok. I've tried Feedly and Flipboard but I'm not liking the whole "tap a ton of interests and then just scroll through a mess of stuff" concept. I liked Google News & Weather a bunch but it felt like it showed barely any stories.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What does everyone use to get news? On iOS I used SmartNews for a while until I got annoyed I couldn't blacklist certain sites, then Apple News since it was ok. I've tried Feedly and Flipboard but I'm not liking the whole "tap a ton of interests and then just scroll through a mess of stuff" concept. I liked Google News & Weather a bunch but it felt like it showed barely any stories.

I just use Newsblur set to BBC, Reuters and Mother Jones

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

RSS with TinyTinyRSS and the Google Now/Assistant feed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I just use Palabre synced to a bunch of RSS. Works well.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I use Google Newsstand. I think it works pretty well.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

BBC News, WaPo, and Google News apps.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

RSS with TinyTinyRSS and the Google Now/Assistant feed.

On this, if you have some specific RSS feed you like to see most frequently (and use widgets), Glass Widgets is a basic list-scroller for news and calendar lists. It's got all the customization I'd want from an RSS widget.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok thanks everyone, I'll try some of these out

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Today Weather just added a Pixel 2 style widget to the latest beta. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't show upcoming events like the Pixel Launcher's actual widget but it looks pretty good:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

datajosh posted:

Today Weather just added a Pixel 2 style widget to the latest beta. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't show upcoming events like the Pixel Launcher's actual widget but it looks pretty good:

Try "Another Widget"

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Try "Another Widget"
That's what I was using before today but the weather provider it uses isn't great for my area and often wouldn't update for hours. If the dev adds in other options for weather providers, I'll probably go back to it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

What's the best free weather app with a good-looking widget? Paying anything for the weather is not appealing to me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

What's the best free weather app with a good-looking widget? Paying anything for the weather is not appealing to me.

Do you not have virtually unlimited money from surveys?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

If you want something "best" and "good looking" I'm not sure why you're opposed to paying. Check out Weather Live.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Define good looking?

I use Aix Weather because I want a tiny graph and only a tiny graph, this may not suit your needs.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.veierland.aix&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you want something "best" and "good looking" I'm not sure why you're opposed to paying. Check out Weather Live.

You expect someone to PAY for a thing they will use all the time that someone spent time and effort putting together???? What kind of lunatic are you???