Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you're starting fresh and your intent is to actually play the game at some point, maybe, go SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Psion posted:

If you're starting fresh and your intent is to actually play the game at some point,

To do... what? Huh!?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"Skyrim" is a bloated sandbox for testing out mods.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nasgate posted:

Frostfall has always been garbage tho, so ymmv compared to this poster.

Yeah, it's good in theory, but since the game wasn't designed with it in mind, it's just mindless tedium.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

To do... what? Huh!?

Hey it apparently happens.

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, it's good in theory, but since the game wasn't designed with it in mind, it's just mindless tedium.

This.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
SE is very good, I would say, from a modding perspective right now. Just need to get Enhanced Camera ported over and we should be close to parity with oldrim. You can probably get better ENB powered visuals with oldrim, but SE's ENB is getting updated more and more frequently and eventually looks like it will overtake oldrim soon.

I'd kill for good parallax and subsurface scattering in SE, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Randaconda posted:

Agreed for basically any realism mod. As soon as it starts feeling like work, and as soon as it gets in the way of me being able to just gently caress off and adventure, I'm out.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alrighty here is what I'm tentaively going for with Skyrim SE -

Unofficial SE patch
Vivid Weathers
Ordinator
Apocalypse
Passive Weapon Enchantment recharge
Insanity Sorrow weapons pack(may swap this for the other one that was recommended before I start my game)
Alternate Start
Immersive Armors
Static Mesh Improvement mod

I only have a 1050gtx so I wasn't sure if I could get away with any graphical enhancements but the Mesh mod guy claimed it wasn't a big hit so I went with it. I also am getting the immersive creatures but that one needs the script extender/sky ui so I gotta go track that down. Also still need to figure out LOOT to get the right load order.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 17, 2018

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Randaconda posted:

The game wasn't designed with alternate start mods, tonal architecture or mudcrab tits in mind, either. :v: I think it's more an issue of personal taste.

I find that Frostfall gives Skyrim a much deeper sense of place. Not because I popped my first stiffy to Jack Torrance or something, but because it makes location a more impactful metric. Skyrim's a big, big place with a lot of diversity in landscape and climate. As far as the gameplay itself goes, though, it doesn't have much mechanical impact aside from spicing up the gameplay loops. Different distributions of flora and fauna, but that's about it. Frostfall makes you pay attention to your surroundings in a way that other mods haven't, in my experience, and it changes the way you think about traversal in a game that has you running around quite a lot.

Plus, for as much as it adds and changes, Frostfall is a mod that a first-time player (if they exist ityool 2018) wouldn't find out of place. It just feels like a mechanic -- one that was designed with the game in mind.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I got the game working fairly well. For some reason SkyUI shows the wrong button prompts. Like it says favorite is X but it's really Y. And shows selecting an item as Y, if that makes sense. I can get used to it though.

Am I likely to break anything by consoling in more carry weight?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Some people really like Frostfall. I'm glad they can use it and that I don't have to.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I don't mind having to prep to go to cold areas, but what bugs me about frostfall is more having to stop at fires and wait to get warm again. Maybe I'm looking for something simpler or more game-ey?

Kinda like how I really dislike mods that make eating a requirement but really like mods that make foods, especially completed ones, more rewarding. It feels better to get a bonus than it does to just have to keep a bar full.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I got the game working fairly well. For some reason SkyUI shows the wrong button prompts. Like it says favorite is X but it's really Y. And shows selecting an item as Y, if that makes sense. I can get used to it though.

Am I likely to break anything by consoling in more carry weight?

No and I always set big carry weights because I'll murderhobo my way through this game and go to a town when I am good and ready and not a second sooner

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nasgate posted:

Frostfall has always been garbage tho, so ymmv compared to this poster.

Lol at this bad opinion

docbeard posted:

Some people really like Frostfall. I'm glad they can use it and that I don't have to.

Exactly.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I had no real issues with frostfall except the UI for actually making camp was annoying and they didn't have a mode for morons like me who cant make heads or tails of the temperature/fatigue bar.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

reignofevil posted:

I had no real issues with frostfall except the UI for actually making camp was annoying and they didn't have a mode for morons like me who cant make heads or tails of the temperature/fatigue bar.

My only problem with it was this. Why they went with something so vague when they could have just used temperature for... temperature... :shrug: Fatigue and wetness at least make sense.

Tyty posted:

I don't mind having to prep to go to cold areas, but what bugs me about frostfall is more having to stop at fires and wait to get warm again. Maybe I'm looking for something simpler or more game-ey?

Kinda like how I really dislike mods that make eating a requirement but really like mods that make foods, especially completed ones, more rewarding. It feels better to get a bonus than it does to just have to keep a bar full.

I think what you're looking for is a jacket. Frostfall also gives you a buff for having a varied diet, but it isn't as impactful as it could be. I'm also a fan of getting buffs from food. A little bit of both would scratch my fancy just fine: a needs bar that has bonuses/penalties, and some food specific buffs for when you go above and beyond the standard beans and rice.

Honestly if someone just took Skyrim and The Long Dark and banged them together until they made a hybrid game, that'd be really swell. The camping/survival mechanic makes me actually WANT to take the long way places because there is more to do than just kill my 400th wolf. And Winterhold/Dawnstar/High Hrothgar are downright deadly just from the weather.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Lol at this bad opinion

Exactly.

If I wanted busy work, I'd go sort recycling or do really anything useful or rewarding instead of installing a Skyrim mod.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nasgate posted:

If I wanted busy work, I'd go sort recycling or do really anything useful or rewarding instead of installing a Skyrim mod.

Modding Skyrim is busywork especially because it feels a lot like sorting recycling. Some people like A, other people like B. Only chumps judge either of those groups based on that bucko.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is the advantage you guys see, using NMM or anything else to mod Skrim SE?

I’m not being flippant, I just don’t understand. I probably have 30-35 mods running in SE, and for each one I downloaded manually from Nexus, and put the .zip contents into the Skyrim data folder or the data/meshes or textures folders myself. It doesn’t take long to do, and the few times I’ve screwed my game up I just removed the mod that caused the issue from the load order.

Are the mod managers for SE easier somehow?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
so what, when you want to uninstall a texture mod you go through your texture directory and delete each file individually?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What about those mods with a ton of different options and compatibility patches and stuff? A mod manager makes installing those, or reinstalling with a different option, a million times easier than picking 7 out of 23 different files to manually stick in your data folder. To say nothing about overwriting textures and poo poo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MrMojok posted:

I’m not being flippant, I just don’t understand. I probably have 30-35 mods running in SE, and for each one I downloaded manually from Nexus, and put the .zip contents into the Skyrim data folder or the data/meshes or textures folders myself. It doesn’t take long to do, and the few times I’ve screwed my game up I just removed the mod that caused the issue from the load order.

I build mod profiles based off the character I want to play at the time (I rotate around a lot). It takes 5 seconds to switch from my Ordinator/apocalypse mage to my SPERG warrior to my more-vanilla legendary difficulty character.

I have about 150 mods installed overall.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I guess most of the mods I have installed are really simple, most often just a matter of dropping the .ESP file into the data folder. And yes, there have been times when I went in there and manually removed texture or mesh files to get rid of something.

I guess I should get a little more adventurous. Nearly everything I have downloaded has just been weapons and armor (outside of alternate start, ordinator, and the like). Nothing that has a huge amount of options/compatibility stuff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MrMojok posted:

I guess most of the mods I have installed are really simple, most often just a matter of dropping the .ESP file into the data folder. And yes, there have been times when I went in there and manually removed texture or mesh files to get rid of something.

I guess I should get a little more adventurous. Nearly everything I have downloaded has just been weapons and armor (outside of alternate start, ordinator, and the like). Nothing that has a huge amount of options/compatibility stuff.

It's less that there is an advantage to using NMM or Mod Manager 2 and more like using them becomes a requirement because trying to juggle loose files all up in your data directory gets super messy as you go on. If you have some sort of conflict then good luck trying to diagnose it!

Mod Manager 2 is the one all the hardcore modders use because it doesn't even touch the data directory. If you disable a mod within MO2 then it's gone, there are no files to uninstall or sitting around to conflict with anything.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thank you, I will try MO2.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrMojok posted:

Mod Organizer changes are non-destructive, the UI is easy to read, changing settings is easier, it helps handle mod compatibility well, you can easily make separate profiles with preset load orders that have their own save files

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 19, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mod Organizer (and I assume Mod Organizer 2) have a bit of a learning curve to them, but once you get used to using them, you'll wonder how you ever did without.

Just being able to decide on the fly which textures/meshes/anything really will overwrite which other ones, and being able to change your mind without reinstalling anything is worth the price of admission (which is nothing but a little bit of time setting up).

If you're not using anything especially complex right now, you may be correct that you don't need a mod manager, but you won't always be content with a few simple mods, you'll be one of us soon enough ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF-

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I do really need to do it. One way I can think of that I’ve already hosed myself up is, I’m careful to install swords and armor that are standalone and not replacers, but I downloaded an LOTR Uruk-Hai armor mod that was a replacer, without paying attention. And I didn’t save the old files first.

So the original Skyrim Orc armor is gone. Since I got the game on Steam the only way to get it back would be to try verifying game files I guess, or uninstall and reinstall the whole thing.

Who knows what else I have actually overwritten. Watch, I’ll be the next one ITT posting Game Broke, Please Help

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MrMojok posted:

I do really need to do it. One way I can think of that I’ve already hosed myself up is, I’m careful to install swords and armor that are standalone and not replacers, but I downloaded an LOTR Uruk-Hai armor mod that was a replacer, without paying attention. And I didn’t save the old files first.

So the original Skyrim Orc armor is gone. Since I got the game on Steam the only way to get it back would be to try verifying game files I guess, or uninstall and reinstall the whole thing.

Who knows what else I have actually overwritten. Watch, I’ll be the next one ITT posting Game Broke, Please Help

Right, and if you were using Mod Organizer 2 you'd see a little icon that says the LOTR Uruk-Hai armor is replacing something, and you'd go 'oh dang' and start the game anyway because lol if you don't like it then just remove it within MO2 and your game goes back to how it was with no drama.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrMojok posted:

You'll need to move it out of the programs folder anyway, so this might be a good time to do a totally fresh install.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

Zeron posted:

MoreHUD SE is pretty much one of the most useful mods out there. Shows you how much better the equipment you are looking at is than what you are wearing, gives you the value/weight calculation when looking at an object, what it will put your carry weight to, if you've read a book/disenchanted the object before, and lots more. All configurable through the MCM.

Lmao I've been playing skyrim since release andn ever knew about this loving mod WHAT THE gently caress

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Cross posting from the vr thread because it probably should have been here anyway:

Chop Sunni posted:

Mod Organiser 2 question suddenly in my head: I'm using the LOOT sorter for plugins, but what is the general rule for load order again? Do I want bigger texture packs at the top near the DLC, and smaller ones later on, so that the small ones amend the big ones if conflicted?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Bigger ones should be first, with anything that's more specific after.

If you have an overhaul that does all the trees, you want that overwritten by the one that only does pine trees, for example. Not the other way around. If the smaller one came first, the big one would overwrite all the changes and make it pointless.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Brilliant, thanks.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I set up an Oldrim install to try out Requiem 2.0.1 and now I'm sitting here waiting for Skyrim to crash so I can try and diagnose random CTDs every 15/20 minutes.

I did not miss this one bit. :shepicide:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have the base version of the game with no expanions or DLC that I got off of steam several years ago and I'm too cheap to buy any expansions. Will I be able to mod it without worrying about downloading something incompatible and wrecking all of my poo poo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

I have the base version of the game with no expanions or DLC that I got off of steam several years ago and I'm too cheap to buy any expansions. Will I be able to mod it without worrying about downloading something incompatible and wrecking all of my poo poo.

Most of the good mods nowadays use assets from all of the DLC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CommonShore posted:

Probably not, basically everything requires the DLC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks! Does that include even UI/quality of life mods which don't interact with textures or whatever?

I find it really frustrating that the only way to get the DLC is to buy the special edition package for 50 (25 right now) bucks. I'll probably just go back to hunting the old orc and killing him and turning him into a zombie and dumping him in the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Thanks! Does that include even UI/quality of life mods which don't interact with textures or whatever?

I find it really frustrating that the only way to get the DLC is to buy the special edition package for 50 (25 right now) bucks. I'll probably just go back to hunting the old orc and killing him and turning him into a zombie and dumping him in the river.

Just wait for the next steam sale.