Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
We have a pretty good core of folks on mumble but it's made up mostly of BF goons that have been playing various games together for years. I don't mind discord at all, but I stick to mumble mostly for the people who play there, not the hideous windows 98 theme or lack of features. I can't speak for everyone else that uses CTS, but I'm fairly sure that's the same reason for a lot of us on there.

Plus we get to tell Hard to fix his game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wooper posted:

For real discord is way better than irc

gently caress you it's not, it doesn't let me just loving leave the channels on the server that I don't use

Even Slack lets me do that

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Voip is all the same poo poo, but every time it comes up both sides are equally smug pieces of poo poo about their own literally-the-same-quality-as-the-others brand.

Mumble's stupid number of subchannels (derr derr I need my own personal hang-out channel) is literally the same poo poo as the absurd number of Discord servers (derrr derr we all play the same game but don't play with each other).

I do typically avoid Discord because they're the goons that talk down to me for not exclusively using their "perfect" program.

SA uses both, so I recommend both. Like any rational person would.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Voip is all the same poo poo, but every time it comes up both sides are equally smug pieces of poo poo about their own literally-the-same-quality-as-the-others brand.

Mumble's stupid number of subchannels (derr derr I need my own personal hang-out channel) is literally the same poo poo as the absurd number of Discord servers (derrr derr we all play the same game but don't play with each other).

I do typically avoid Discord because they're the goons that talk down to me for not exclusively using their "perfect" program.

lmao

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You sure showed those goons.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

God forbid someone post their honest opinion on something without running it through several layers of irony

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I have to hand it to the creators of uplay for creating a social platform that requires you to restart the process to be able to see new friend requests.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

CJ posted:

I have to hand it to the creators of uplay for creating a social platform that requires you to restart the process to be able to see new friend requests.

one feature i miss from wildlands is that rainbow six doesnt have a little pop-in every five minutes to tell me that the friend im currently playing a game with is playing the game we're playing

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

God forbid someone post their honest opinion on something without running it through several layers of irony

I personally can't wait for the next operators, i love my new blonde waifu.

Also come on Hard it's the middle of summer when is the swimwear uniforms being released?!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
This concept art for the new Polish champ was posted on reddit.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
action completed:

still gonna keep opening these things until i get a legendary item just to see what it's gonna be but it's nice to finally replace the first skin i ever unlocked in the game :allears:

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

i haven't encountered anyone in the r6 discord that would really seriously give you poo poo for using mumble, especially the CTS one since that's what almost everyone used before and where most people came from.

poo poo if you wanna run a group through Barrens chat in a dead WoW realm them go for it but the cool thing about discord is that it stretches well beyond goons and redditors - even some of my irl friends are using it for school stuff

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I didn't mean to insinuate R6 goons were like that towards me. I just meant sort of a general thing from other people I've spoken to. I've just never gotten around to joining the R6 discord.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 2, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Mumble is better than Discord because the goon Discord has Polka. :boom:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I say the discord is better because I'd like Eurogoons to get on there so we can play together without me having to download Mumble again for the first time since playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 :smith:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Ended up going for Discord since I'd rather play on US servers than EU - I can barely tell the difference between 100ms and 230-270ms but I don't want to push it :v:

Also got Valkyrie's legendary Vagabond set and... it's something at least??? Looks kinda ugly though, at least out of game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJ posted:

This concept art for the new Polish champ was posted on reddit.

I'm unironically about this.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

lohli posted:

Mumble is better than Discord because the goon Discord has Polka. :boom:

We welcomed him with open arms, then banned him, then unbanned him.

Now he's cool.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

CJ posted:

Wait, are you Drew ingame because for such a poo poo poster i felt like you were pretty ok to talk to in game.

IceOrb posted:

Pretty even split but I will say this: there aren't many Euro goons on the discord from what I can tell.

Dunno if that helps with your decision.

Also HARD plays on Mumble so you can scream directly into his ear whenever you get interrogated. (that's actually his fetish.)

*EDIT*

JK Hard doesn't play his game, he just fucks it up and takes all the credit when others fix it.

<3 Hard

Only if the screams are in portuguese.

whatspeakyou posted:

We have a pretty good core of folks on mumble but it's made up mostly of BF goons that have been playing various games together for years. I don't mind discord at all, but I stick to mumble mostly for the people who play there, not the hideous windows 98 theme or lack of features. I can't speak for everyone else that uses CTS, but I'm fairly sure that's the same reason for a lot of us on there.

Plus we get to tell Hard to fix his game.

This, for me it's really about about playing with people I've learned to know throughout the years. Discord is also filled with (some) pretty chill dudes but i guess i stayed in my comfort zone.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Discord is literally just Mumble with IRC attached to it and a better voice codec.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

watch me drag n drop these dank memes directly into the main channel while @here'ing at 3am

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Any particular reason as for why one in every ten games or so I don't gain renown from a match I played from the very beginning to completion? It's happened 4 times in the last three days. :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azran posted:

Any particular reason as for why one in every ten games or so I don't gain renown from a match I played from the very beginning to completion? It's happened 4 times in the last three days. :(

Not to be a poo poo poster but it's because Uplay is complete garbage

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Thief posted:

watch me drag n drop these dank memes directly into the main channel while @here'ing at 3am

DugglerTV coming this Fall

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Azran posted:

You haven't lost it.
Visualize it as a clogged pipe. The ''stuck'' Renown will be added to your account the next time you gain some at the end of a match. The clogged renown won't show in the end of match result but will in the total amount top right in the main menu.

Hard fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 2, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hard posted:

You haven't lost it.
Visualize it as a clogged pipe. The ''stuck'' Renown will be added to your account the next time you gain some at the end of a match. The clogged renown won't show in the end of match result but will in the total amount top right in the main menu.

Discussion > Games > Rainbow 6 Siege: Visualize it as a clogged pipe

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The internet is, in fact, a series of tubes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Hard posted:

You haven't lost it.

out of curiosity, what happens if i don't actually roll after a win?

have been assuming that it just auto-rolls even if you don't watch the wheel and i havent won anything yet but it would otherwise just show up in my inventory when i flop back into the menu

the fidget spinner is just for show, huh?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thief posted:

out of curiosity, what happens if i don't actually roll after a win?

have been assuming that it just auto-rolls even if you don't watch the wheel and i havent won anything yet but it would otherwise just show up in my inventory when i flop back into the menu

the fidget spinner is just for show, huh?

Correct on all counts.

I like watching the spin.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hard posted:

You haven't lost it.

Oh! Nice to hear that :) Thanks for the clarification!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A comedy in three acts:

I even heard him run in, but I figured, "oh, that's just my teammate who was right next to me just a second ago". :downs:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Discord is literally just Mumble with IRC attached to it and a better voice codec.

IIRC they both use opus, I think mumble has supported it for like 3 or 4 years at this point?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

lohli posted:

IIRC they both use opus, I think mumble has supported it for like 3 or 4 years at this point?

I haven't checked since the turnover/split but the old mumble used Speex or CELT still when it ended from what I recall.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Discord is the best because it's the one I like the most.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Operation health has done wonders for siege chats.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
it never fails for the discord/mumble garbage to spur :derptiel:

they both use opus. discord's bitrate can be adjusted from 8 to 96kbps. you can pay money to go up to 128kbps per server. mumble is adjustable dependent on server ability, but higher rates can have an impact on mobile users. both are stereo. mumble has positional audio, discord does not. discord has a nice chat client, mumble does not. both require a standalone client if you want system-wide PTT, otherwise discord works fine for in-browser. i sit in discord at work, but i prefer mumble for gaming voip.

it's all personal preference and i'm still trying to wrap my head around the dick swinging from both sides.

hard where is my loving shortsman

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

automaticswim posted:

i sit in discord at work, i prefer mumble for gaming voip.

You're obviously just a shill for big VOIP, I'll stick to IRC thank you very much!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

automaticswim posted:

but higher rates can have an impact on mobile users.

Aside from people trying to troubleshoot their computers/mics I can count the number of times somebody in Discord has used the mobile app for VOIP on one hand.

I know a mumble mobile app technically exists but I've never heard of anybody using it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I like to use the Discord mobile app to talk poo poo to my Siege buddies when I'm not home. They can also tag me in the chat to see if I'm available soon.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I use the Discord mobile app to chat now and again, too. :shrug:
(I'd use Discord for Siege with goons as well, but sadly you all appear to be in the US and EU, rather than Australia/NZ)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I watch Twitch channels 24/7 and am super active in a lot of Twitch communities, so Discord is required.

I had a bad night tonight in Siege. someone Team killed me on purpose, and then in another match I accidentally TK'ed and we lost the match as a result. :/ Called it quits for the night after that one.

• Locked thread