Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

learning haskell made recursion 10000x more useful for me and made "whiteboarding in pseudocode" 1e9x more pleasant, enjoyable, and easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont care if the language is actually useful day-to-day it made me a much better programmer to learn it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qhat posted:

Why are you idiots engaging stymie?

its fun sometimes

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah no doubt, but that's partly because haskell (and other ML-inspired languages) makes it obvious that your recursive data structure is in fact recursive. typical oop langs like java essentially treat all methods as potentially mutually recursive, so there is often recursion happening all over the place but you don't notice because each recursive call is separated by 8 layers of indirection plus a DI container

JewKiller 3000 posted:

note for enterprise oop programmers: it doesn't have to be f calling f to qualify as recursion. if you have f call g which calls h which calls j which calls f... that counts too motherfucker

JewKiller 3000 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 20, 2017

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

i optimized my tail calls by putting ur mom on speed dial

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i like haskell because im not smart enough to do java or c# or whatever oop programming

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Please respond to this ad with your resumé, mini portfolio of work as a PDF or personal website, and a suitable picture of a baby animal in a hat. Applicants without this will not be considered.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

fart simpson posted:

i like haskell because im not smart enough to do java or c# or whatever oop programming

the idea of a mind that can haskell but cannot java is terrifying

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

redleader posted:

functional programming is way easier/better than the standard.corporate.obect.oriented.java.impl.style

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qhat posted:

Please respond to this ad with your resumé, mini portfolio of work as a PDF or personal website, and a suitable picture of a baby animal in a hat. Applicants without this will not be considered.

no brown m&ms

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

no brown m&ms

Van Halen's m&m canary was brilliant. It let them know who did and who did not read through the terms and, by proxy, which venues the band knew could support their stage setup.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

redleader posted:

haskell is way easier because i can read tiny pieces of code in isolation without having to keep a bunch of moving parts in my head to understand what's going on

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it forces me to be more upfront and explicit about my assumptions which is way easier in the long run because my assumptions are usually wrong and haskell etc force me to confront and fix that earlier imo

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

haskell is way easier because i can read tiny pieces of code in isolation without having to keep a bunch of moving parts in my head to understand what's going on

this is why i like rust. you can see the whole context by looking at the function signature. its awesome.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

leper khan posted:

functional programming is way easier/better than the standard.corporate.obect.oriented.java.impl.style

i guarantee enterprise grade haskell is harder to read than whatever youre used to

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

smug pedantry aside is it generally fine to write tc recursion in c? I'm not a c programmer, so idk if that's like a certain-to-be-optimized-everywhere thing, or 'in our specific compiler setup in this project, it works great'

recursion is fine in some places as long as it is bounded. it is not acceptable to rely on tail call optimization as a replacement for writing good code. and on an interview, hand waving away the cost of recursion because of tco is a fail.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i don't know what neurotypicals that program c do (do they even exist?) but most of my c projects only have to run on a single compiler-arch-os-libc stack so i just disassemble them and make sure they're compiling the way i expect

that's great, until someone else builds for debug with -O0 and it doesn't tco. or they port your code to a new platform or compiler. or they add a new feature in your code that can break that optimization.

I expect experienced candidates to write portable code.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what is unbounded tco recursion?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fart simpson posted:

what is unbounded tco recursion?
very carefully

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

still waiting for the final written offer, but another coworker gave notice yesterday. Now I feel a little bad about the pickle they will be in when I leave. Not bad enough to do anything about it, but you know I feel for them.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Never feel. It's a sign of weakness.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

If it makes you feel better they'd feel bad about laying off you entire department

But they'd still do it

Iverron
May 13, 2012

no such thing as loyalty, just business

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

If it makes you feel better they'd feel bad about laying off you entire department

But they'd still do it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if it benefitted them to fire you they would fire you. companies are not your friends.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DuckConference posted:

still waiting for the final written offer, but another coworker gave notice yesterday. Now I feel a little bad about the pickle they will be in when I leave. Not bad enough to do anything about it, but you know I feel for them.

my team has lost 3 more developers since i gave notice and two more have shared with me that they're getting ready to quit. im reveling in it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

my team has lost 3 more developers since i gave notice and two more have shared with me that they're getting ready to quit. im reveling in it.

nice

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ADINSX posted:

But they'd still do it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

idk if id revel that much with epic, it seems like they do nothing but hemmorage talent

a coworker of mine at a past job had been with epic for years before there, and then he left to work for UW-Madison Health Systems, I guess he really liked the punishment of med-tech :shrug:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

carry on then posted:

enterprise grade haskell

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ugh everything is dragging on and I'm in a state of having a verbal offer and waiting for the written offer

I want to sign on the dotted line and get everything moving

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

really had the soul sucked out of my body over the past few weeks interviewing

what utter poo poo

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

phone screening replacements for my coworker is going pretty alright

interesting how with just with 20 mins of conversation people can go from "meh" to "let's talk to this guy more" or conversely "looks interesting" to "gently caress no"

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Had a really odd interview process for the non-profit I work for. I went through multiple interviews prior to Easter and all went fine, and just before they gave me an offer they went to call some of my references. OK fine, I gave them my standard group of references. They come back having me fill out additional paperwork (basically a form that lists ALL my previous managers and 3 non-managerial references). I give all of this back to them, and they even told me they'll be calling my CURRENT employer (where I was still working) after the job offer goes through. Just calling my references took over 2 weeks due to some people being off on vacation. They must have called like 7-8 people total

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Tailored Sauce posted:

Had a really odd interview process for the non-profit I work for. I went through multiple interviews prior to Easter and all went fine, and just before they gave me an offer they went to call some of my references. OK fine, I gave them my standard group of references. They come back having me fill out additional paperwork (basically a form that lists ALL my previous managers and 3 non-managerial references). I give all of this back to them, and they even told me they'll be calling my CURRENT employer (where I was still working) after the job offer goes through. Just calling my references took over 2 weeks due to some people being off on vacation. They must have called like 7-8 people total

:redflag:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

luckily my ex-boss was cool, and after I accepted the job offer i told her that they'll be calling for a reference. worked out in the end i guess

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

DuckConference posted:

phone screening replacements for my coworker is going pretty alright

interesting how with just with 20 mins of conversation people can go from "meh" to "let's talk to this guy more" or conversely "looks interesting" to "gently caress no"

i used to hate doing phone screening because 90% of them was just some idiot who didn't know the most basic computer touching things, so it was 90% a waste of my time. the last phone screen i did for my last company was a guy who was in their 3rd year of compsci but thought an int could only store 256 different values.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

an int could only store 256 different values.

true on some architectures

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i straight up never know what sizes c variables are anymore so last time i wrote c i typedef'd u8, s8, f64, etc. and just asserted their sizeof during startup tests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

The Management posted:

true on some architectures

which one

• Locked thread