Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Bold Robot posted:

I'm totally cool with them not balancing around the multiplayer meta at all. It's been a while but there were times in the past when Paradox made some questionable balancing decisions based mainly on their in-house MP games. I don't have any data to back this up but my guess is that people who play multiplayer are a small minority of players. Point being, it won't bother me and I would guess it won't bother 90+% of players if the new patch either doesn't change the multiplayer meta or makes it worse.

I think a TON of people play Paradox games in MP, but it's almost completely comprised of group of friends playing with each other and not really trying to go MLG420ESPORTS on each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kimsemus posted:

I think a TON of people play Paradox games in MP, but it's almost completely comprised of group of friends playing with each other and not really trying to go MLG420ESPORTS on each other.

Totally possible. I'd be interested to see some stats on this, if they exist.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

If you're going to be enslaving everything, you'll probably spend a considerable amount of time building armies. Slaves = unrest, unrest = no resources.

And you can't even build armies on slave planets unless they're battle thralls so I hope you enjoy assault army upkeep or relocating your own pops a lot.

This build, even now, is a lot more micro heavy than pretty much any other build. I doubt that will change. As for resources, slaver rush builds roll in resources. That's why its such a strong build. Unless they've changed the game such that upkeep is more than the output of people's capital planets then this situation isn't going to change.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

This is pretty much the issue. I play a lot of pick-up games via stellaris.online and it only takes 1 power gamer to ruin things.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

VirtualStranger posted:

I'm basically trying to pull apart this mod and modify it for my own purposes.

I tried just stretching the image to the proper width and it doesn't look too blurry or pixelated...

...but the image isn't tall enough for the leader portrait window.

Then I tried stretching it even more to fit the proper height, but that ended up making it look extremely lovely.

:negative:

Maybe an alternative?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a reddit sub called "imaginary cityscapes" that is a gold mine for poo poo like that.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kimsemus posted:

I haven't played played multiplayer but blaming whatever balance problems there are on those mean 'ol powergamers is always silly

don't know where it should be on the priorities list but if it's as degenerate as space monster says I hope they fix it sooner or later

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I haven't played played multiplayer but blaming whatever balance problems there are on those mean 'ol powergamers is always silly

don't know where it should be on the priorities list but if it's as degenerate as space monster says I hope they fix it sooner or later

I think when it's in a developer's interest to screw 3% of their player population to appease the other 97% they will.

See: Rated PVP in WoW over the last 7 years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually like things to be tight and balanced as if it was being tested for competitive play even though I don't play competitively because it makes the choices I do make while chill role playing feel more meaningful.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It just kinda ruins the game for me knowing that strategy is so effective. It seems like they should put more effort into having some level of balance in the game. I mean, if the best strategy in starcraft was to 6-pool, bunker rush, or cannon rush every time, regardless of whether the other guy knows its coming, wouldn't that be a problem? That's what this is.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Baronjutter posted:

I actually like things to be tight and balanced as if it was being tested for competitive play even though I don't play competitively because it makes the choices I do make while chill role playing feel more meaningful.

yeah balancing a game well for multiplayer generally has positive knock-on effects for sp balancing, and good balance helps role playing types because it makes it less likely that the empire they chose for RP options is horribly gimped

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Space Monster posted:

This build, even now, is a lot more micro heavy than pretty much any other build. I doubt that will change. As for resources, slaver rush builds roll in resources. That's why its such a strong build. Unless they've changed the game such that upkeep is more than the output of people's capital planets then this situation isn't going to change.

Slaves are going to change a bit in 1.5:
- slaves now aren't per pop, but per race (or resource they work if you have a caste system for that race). You can't pick and choose freely. This isn't a big deal by itself.

- slaves on a planet generate unrest, unrest kills resource production. To combat unrest, you need to build armies. To build defensive armies you'll need to spend influence to relocate some of your non-slave pops. Assault armies, on the other hand, have very expensive energy upkeep.

- slave power production is -33%, which makes previous point far more annoying. You'd think this isn't a huge deal because you can just put them in a caste system and then they won't be slaves if they work power plants. but then

- new faction system will gently caress you over because you have poo poo influence gain and base happiness on pops that aren't enslaved, because you have a bunch of alien parties that are very very mad at the current state of affairs. You can combat this by buying them more expensive toys (consumer goods), but pretty much nothing else, since they're unhappy due to the policies you're using to win.

Not saying slaver rush won't still be the best way to do things, hell it might actually end up being better due to some civics I missed, but it should end up being less effective, after all those things are considered.

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 4, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Space Monster posted:

It just kinda ruins the game for me knowing that strategy is so effective. It seems like they should put more effort into having some level of balance in the game. I mean, if the best strategy in starcraft was to 6-pool, bunker rush, or cannon rush every time, regardless of whether the other guy knows its coming, wouldn't that be a problem? That's what this is.

I agree with this, which is why they worked so hard to kill cheese tactics like 7-roach rushing early when the game came out.

Silver bullet strategies are bad. Unpredictability, even in competitive play, = fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

yeah balancing a game well for multiplayer generally has positive knock-on effects for sp balancing, and good balance helps role playing types because it makes it less likely that the empire they chose for RP options is horribly gimped

It also helps the AI. A bad game has a ton of good options, and a ton of trap options. The AI and new players will fall in the traps and have a bad time.

When you remove the trap options, both the AI and the new players do better. It's also much more interesting for experienced players to have a dozen similarly-powerful strategies to pick from, rather than just one or two degenerate ones.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

Slaves are going to change a bit in 1.5:
- slaves now aren't per pop, but per race (or resource they work if you have a caste system for that race). You can't pick and choose freely. This isn't a big deal by itself.

- slaves on a planet generate unrest, unrest kills resource production. To combat unrest, you need to build armies. To build defensive armies you'll need to spend influence to relocate some of your non-slave pops. Assault armies, on the other hand, have very expensive energy upkeep.

- slave power production is -33%, which makes previous point far more annoying. You'd think this isn't a huge deal because you can just put them in a caste system and then they won't be slaves if they work power plants. but then

- new faction system will gently caress you over because you have poo poo influence gain and base happiness on pops that aren't enslaved, because you have a bunch of alien parties that are very very mad at the current state of affairs. You can combat this by buying them more expensive toys (consumer goods), but pretty much nothing else, since they're unhappy due to the policies you're using to win.

Not saying slaver rush won't still be the best way to do things, hell it might actually end up being better due to some civics I missed, but it should end up being less effective, after all those things are considered.

I hope so. It seemed like a pretty fair bet in 1.4 too, though :/

I worry that they'll just have made the slaver rush build more micro-intensive (which is what happened in 1.4) without actually knocking it from it's 'best strategy possible' position. I expect, regardless of the changes, that conquering your closest neighbor as fast as possible will still be a lot better long term than colonizing as fast as possible, even if it becomes impossible to just keep conquering without pause.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 4, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

There is no such thing as competitive Stellaris. It's a singleplayer game that happens to have multiplayer.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I play Stellaris so I can role-play the rise and fall of the Holy Empire of the Snailmen from Arcturus.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

3 DONG HORSE posted:

There is no such thing as competitive Stellaris. It's a singleplayer game that happens to have multiplayer.

I think when the game director himself takes note, that most players set their own objective and count accomplishing that as a 'win', yea...trying to put down any kind of objective way of scoring who'd win Stellaris competitively is a fool's errand.

Doesn't mean you can't still do so, obv, by killing all the other dudes or building that ringworld or whatever. But it's just not built for any kind of e-sports definition of competitive at all.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

the e-sports thing is a ridiculous red herring, balance issues matter at all levels of play

it's not some out-there hardcore thing for players in multiplayer to try to beat each other

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Nope, but when the balance was very much so designed for singleplayer from the get-go over multiplayer, I don't see much point about pretending otherwise and instead focusing on having fun. Whether that comes from beating each other in wonky-balanced MP session or just RPing your empire in whatever way you deem appropriate for your own amusement and that of others.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So this specifically started with a guy concerned that rushing an invasion is way more efficient than colonizing, right?

That sounds bad and, all else being equal, should probably be changed. But it's honestly a really, really minor issue considering you'll never run into it in single player, and you'll never run into it if you aren't playing with assholes.

That guy who plays with competitive people has every right to complain about this point of balance, but honestly it doesn't seem like it should be at the top of Paradox's list to address.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'd be surprised if Wiz and the Paradox didn't take the view that you can have cool and fun stuff that is also balanced...

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Kitchner posted:

I'd be surprised if Wiz and the Paradox didn't take the view that you can have cool and fun stuff that is also balanced...
This is a chill and good post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kitchner posted:

You can sometimes, but equally, in a singleplayer game, it can very much be the case that players and opponents do not need to play by the same rules. And attempting to make them do so is the difference between, say, unreal tournament with bots, and half life 2.

Some experiences just aren't possible if you need other players to be able to take over the opposition. Say, Stellaris would probably work really well with sword of the stars type combat encounters, but not if other players are supposed to be playing as well at the same time. Stuff like fallen empires and crisis forces cannot be given over to player control. It is possible to fit other players into a game with a heavy emphasis on asymmetric systems, such as Left 4 Dead versus mode, but you then have to limit what elements the players can control as well as substantially change either the way of playing (you're not expected to win versus mode, just lose less badly) or change the mechanics of the player controlled elements to make them balanced (and sacrifice some of what made it what it was to begin with).

Some cool and fun stuff is incompatible with oppositional multiplayer balance.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 5, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

that doesn't seem particularly relevant given that paradox did end up going for essentially symmetric mechanics between human controlled empires and normal AI controlled ones, and haven't indicated any inclination to abandon that

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You can sometimes, but equally, in a singleplayer game, it can very much be the case that players and opponents do not need to play by the same rules. And attempting to make them do so is the difference between, say, unreal tournament with bots, and half life 2.

Some experiences just aren't possible if you need other players to be able to take over the opposition. Say, Stellaris would probably work really well with sword of the stars type combat encounters, but not if other players are supposed to be playing as well at the same time. Stuff like fallen empires and crisis forces cannot be given over to player control. It is possible to fit other players into a game with a heavy emphasis on asymmetric systems, such as Left 4 Dead versus mode, but you then have to limit what elements the players can control as well as substantially change either the way of playing (you're not expected to win versus mode, just lose less badly) or change the mechanics of the player controlled elements to make them balanced (and sacrifice some of what made it what it was to begin with).

Well, even if you take this tack, that's no excuse for one strategy to be head and shoulders above the rest. I don't really care if Stellaris is somewhat unbalanced---given the variety of possible builds that's unavoidable. But there should still be an eye turned towards achieving some balance. There should be a large number of viable strategies---a large number of lovely ones is fine too, but there should be options. Currently there's a pretty stratified tier system with one particular strategy far and away the strongest.

There used to be a healthy pick-up community in this game. This (along with the server list and hot-joining breaking games) has destroyed that community. So you can say 'well nobody even plays multiplayer against randos' if you like, but that's mostly because that community died as a result of this problem.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 5, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, personally I quite like having militaristic empires actually be a threat, if you make conquest harder then, well, I can't entirely see how it would be enjoyable as a conquest oriented player given that it's already a bit of a slog, and I think defending against it might be a bit easy.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I'm not sure where the conceptual space is for allowing players to take out other players early at all, and making it so that this isn't preferable to giving their opponents time to get more powerful.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
In King Game Moo2, starting star bases are strong enough you need a pretty healthy fleet to take them out, discouraging early strikes. :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strudel Man posted:

In King Game Moo2, starting star bases are strong enough you need a pretty healthy fleet to take them out, discouraging early strikes. :shrug:

But you also start with a colony ship generally, and the initial colony rush is a lot faster so there's often a lot of juicy targets. You don't go after their homeworld, you go after their colonies.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baronjutter posted:

But you also start with a colony ship generally, and the initial colony rush is a lot faster so there's often a lot of juicy targets. You don't go after their homeworld, you go after their colonies.
Sure. Nothing wrong with that - gives room for a more protracted conflict if things go that way.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I really enjoyed Stellaris initially but the lack of stuff to do in the mid/late game turned me off. This latest patch/DLC looks awesome and I even tried out a game on the current 1.4 patch to see if I could get my space legs back. I had a few questions though:

1. I created a custom race "The Human Remnant" who are a super militaristic but weakened and broken human race left behind after the rest of humanity fled Earth due to climate change. I turned Earth into a desert planet, but I really think it'd be neat to make it a tomb world instead and give the race the tomb world adoption tech. Can't figure out a way to do that. I also created a custom race for the humans that fled. Is there anyway I can force a game to spawn them as a Fallen Empire? They're the natural non-crisis boss of a game so it'd be nice if they weren't annexed 20 years in by space foxes.

2. What's the best fleet strategy now? I remember back in 1.0 the only thing you needed to do was spam corvettes but I tried that and got my rear end kicked. Does weapon/shields/armor choice matter? I just had the auto-builder do it because I remember customization being a huge PITA in 1.0

3. Any tips for empire building? Right now the only thing I know is that you really don't want to go into the negative with anything but I can't figure out which resources and research I should prioritize.

4. Any cool custom empires you all can recommend using/creating? It'd be neat to have the game filled with more races with unique backstories.

5. Any good ironman-compatible mods? I have to play all Paradox games in ironman mode so I'm not tempted to cheat and for the achievements so I have something to work towards, although maybe in a 4X game that's not as much of a problem since there are win conditions. I guess regular mods are worth it too if you know of any good ones. It's hard to tell what's good and what isn't from the Workshop

6. This is probably a huge stretch, but is there any way to get an accurate-ish Milky Way galaxy for a game map? Obviously we haven't mapped all the stars in the galaxy but putting famous stars near where they actually are would be cool. Obviously this means you'd have to have Sol but I'm cool with that. I really enjoyed Freespace for this because it made the whole thing feel more "real"

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 5, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baronjutter posted:

There's a reddit sub called "imaginary cityscapes" that is a gold mine for poo poo like that.

Cheers for that, some nice art in there.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Space Skeleton posted:

Maybe an alternative?

I was able to find the full-size original of this image from the original artist's website.

I cropped it to the proper size and aspect ratio, then increased the brightness and contrast because it looked too dark and washed-out in the game.

Then I was able to use the original metropolis.dds image from before to make some tiles to go with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd honestly have preferred if they had fleshed out planets more and given us more planet-scale mega projects rather than dyson spheres and stuff. I want to be able to slowly transform my planet into Coruscant or something like that. Huge orbital shipyards that allow faster or parallel production. Maybe civ style specialist-slots to let you pack in more pops even after the planet is full so long as you have the resources to support them. Stuff like that. Maybe more meaningful terrain too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Conskill posted:

I'm not sure where the conceptual space is for allowing players to take out other players early at all, and making it so that this isn't preferable to giving their opponents time to get more powerful.

If you're going to lose, you might as well lose quickly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes I'd gently caress up an early moo or moo2 long-game strategy that had a big early-game weakness and get totally hosed because someone who built an actual military straight up defeated me. Then you start a new game, losing is fun.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

axeil posted:

I turned Earth into a desert planet, but I really think it'd be neat to make it a tomb world instead and give the race the tomb world adoption tech.
I know it's been said before but I'd love some more unique starting options like this. Aquatic or tomb world or gas giant species. Hive minds and the new robot/synchronous evolution traits look like they're going to be boss, I hope they lead to more like them.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

GunnerJ posted:

The thing I wish the mod would do is make the yellow modifiers into mixes of advantages and disadvantages. So, you get to recruit Giant Spider Armies, but it costs more influence to settle there and has much less migrant attraction because jesus loving christ.

Hi there! I'm the mod's dev. I kind of want to keep yellow modifiers as neutral "flavor/story" modifiers. Primarily because it makes it a lot easier to check planet modifiers. When you look around for a planet, you can just ignore all yellow modifiers and focus on the red (bad) or green (good) ones. It saves a lot of tedious reading modifiers.

I'm planning to try and add in a new modifier borders (probably not possible as I have a feeling it's hard coded based on the art file). Ideally I'd want a unique border for precursor modifiers and a different one for flavour modifiers so I can use the yellow border for mixed like you suggested. If nothing else try and get this changed for their upcoming modding pass and work from there.

Edit; I got it to work! I'm a loving genius.

Btw if anyone has suggestions for Guilli's planet modifier mod feel free to make suggestions on the mod page in steam (there's a suggestion thread).

I'll endeavour to visit these forums a lot (they seem very nice. Hello)

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Not really sure where you're coming from here buddy. I mean I agree that asymmetrical games can be a lot of fun, but I'm not really sure what the point you're making is.

Are we talking balance (which is like what benefit does being a pacifist give you) or how the game is designed (which is like "turn based would be better" or "Why can't I play as an end game crisis")?

If it's the former then I don't see how all that relates. Anything that can be abused in single player can be abused in multiplayer and vice versa. To leave something in that's cool but OP as poo poo has a negative impact on both modes in my view. It's like when all you needed fleet wise was battleships with tachyon lasers. How is single player fun if you're forced to choose a particular weapon type or face an unnecessarily difficult game (which is different to a necessarily difficult game like playing as Ryuku in EUIV)? It is far more fun if you have an array of options that are equally valid, even if they are not literally equal.

If you're talking game design then I think it's pretty clear that, for this iteration of Stellaris, the core mechanics will not really be changing. Sure you may think it would be cool if the game was turn based or some other sort of change to the game design, but really you can't expect paradox to consider changing absolutely fundamental basics like "Combat is now an RTS instance".

The best example of a description of a balanced design I saw was back in some edition of Warhammer 40K, where most armies were rife with poo poo units or overpowered ones. The Ork book was pretty well balanced though, to the point that if someone asked what armies were "good" they were told to put all the names of a unit into a hat. Remove a specific crap unit. Stick the names on a dartboard. Then keep throwing darts until they had a valid army list.

Being able to take what you think is cool and know you're not being punished as a result is a Good Thing in my view.

• Locked thread