Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

cheetah7071 posted:

You should upgrade the castle to max as soon as you're happy with your team

I'm kinda content with my current team, buuuuuut... I feel I have units that could benefit me more. Like, I could replace Saizo with Maria. Maybe replace Hinata with Hana, if his thing gets too annoying. Florina might also get replaced since I have a Healer proper now. But I dunno who would replace her.

Not to mention the dupes I have atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

cheetah7071 posted:

You should upgrade the castle to max as soon as you're happy with your team

I really strongly disagree with this. The difference in earned experience going from tier 3 to tier 5 is only 25%, and it costs 18 orbs. It's just not worth it when you consider that the only thing you can actually do once you're established at the moment is farm badges, which gives you experience as a side effect anyway. There's no shortage of XP.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You say that but when you're doing the grind from L35 to L40, you'll be glad. I have the full castle and I'm milking the 1.5x experience while I can.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Wait, people aren't maxing their castle right away? I'm pretty sure I would have uninstalled the game already if I'd been earning half as much combat XP the whole time :psyduck:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

You say that but when you're doing the grind from L35 to L40, you'll be glad. I have the full castle and I'm milking the 1.5x experience while I can.

I have 5 characters at 40.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Wait, people aren't maxing their castle right away? I'm pretty sure I would have uninstalled the game already if I'd been earning half as much combat XP the whole time :psyduck:

You aren't earning half the experience. Buying the first two upgrades is a no-brainer, and the third is still a decent deal. Going from +60% experience to +100% experience is actually only a +25% upgrade to total earned experience.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zurai posted:

I have 5 characters at 40

And I have 7 at L40, including one healer and two more characters at 37. Doesn't change how 18 orbs will probably get me yet another four 3-4 star dupes. The orb amount isn't that much considering how generous Nintendo has been so far.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

And I have 7 at L40, including one healer and two more characters at 37. Doesn't change how 18 orbs will probably get me yet another four 3-4 star dupes. The orb amount isn't that much considering how generous Nintendo has been so far.

It could net you 4 dupes, or it could net you 4 amazing characters. But you have infinite experience at your disposal without investing a single orb. Again, it's just not worth spending 18 orbs for a very minor XP upgrade.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Zurai posted:

You aren't earning half the experience. Buying the first two upgrades is a no-brainer, and the third is still a decent deal. Going from +60% experience to +100% experience is actually only a +25% upgrade to total earned experience.

Turning that around, eighteen orbs reduces the stamina cost for leveling by 33%.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

akulanization posted:

Turning that around, eighteen orbs reduces the stamina cost for leveling by 33%.

Incorrect. I did a lot of my leveling in the arena. And, once more, you have effectively infinite stamina over the life of the game. You do not have infinite orbs.

This is exactly the same as choosing the +experience perks in Fallout. It's a terrible idea there and a bad one here.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Zurai posted:

It could net you 4 dupes, or it could net you 4 amazing characters. But you have infinite experience at your disposal without investing a single orb. Again, it's just not worth spending 18 orbs for a very minor XP upgrade.

Over the course of several years, all those supposedly small increments will add up to 10s or possibly 100s of hours of gameplay time not spent grinding, instead of saving what, almost a one full summoning round? I'd just bite the bullet

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You don't have infinite stamina for a given period of time.

Also, considering we've been given over 250 orbs by now, it's just a 7% (and shrinking) orb investment for a 25% permanent increase in experience gained. Considering with 4 pulls at 6%, that's only a 22% chance of a 5*, it doesn't seem like it's a bad trade-off right now and it'll only be less significant as time goes on.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Spellman posted:

Over the course of several years, all those supposedly small increments will add up to 10s or possibly 100s of hours of gameplay time not spent grinding, instead of saving what, almost a one full summoning round? I'd just bite the bullet

You're going to be grinding anyway. This is a mobile game. They're built on grinding.

Also, as time goes on, we'll get more and better access to experience shards and crystals which can be used to level characters for no time or stamina costs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Zurai posted:

Your dumb opinion about orb efficiency has no bearing on the fact that I am definitely earning twice as much combat XP as I would be if I hadn't upgraded my castle at all.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Your dumb opinion about orb efficiency has no bearing on the fact that I am definitely earning twice as much combat XP as I would be if I hadn't upgraded my castle at all.

And your inability to read doesn't have any bearing on the fact that I explicitly said the first two upgrades were great deals and the third is still reasonable. No one has advocated spending 0 orbs on castle upgrades, so your arguments are specious straw men.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All my units I care about are upgraded so any crystals I get are just being hoarded for later, at this point rather than going for that last 20% I sort of just want to put it all towards hopefully getting a unit I like.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
The first suggestion to spend orbs to further upgrade your castle once you are satisfied with your team is the most reasonable. Even if the last 2 upgrades are substantially more expensive, they aren't without some value. Whether they are more valuable than another potential 5 pull is up to you. Stamina is not infinite, you get a finite amount based on time, same as orbs. It's more plentiful, but not infinite.

Personally, spending 25% less time grinding a loving -atk Olivia to 40 was worth 18 orbs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I never said it was without value, I just said it's poor value.

Also, once again, 25% increased experience does not equal 25% reduced time.

And yes, technically speaking, stamina isn't infinite. That's true. But it's *effectively* infinite because you're going to be spending it anyway (or wasting it, which is arguably worse), and it's far, far more plentiful than orbs. Even with their "amazingly generous" 2 orbs per day, which will likely not be permanent, you still need 9 days to equal 18 orbs, while in that same time you will have received 2,592 stamina, which is more than enough to level any 4 units from 1 to 40.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 23, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

And your inability to read doesn't have any bearing on the fact that I explicitly said the first two upgrades were great deals and the third is still reasonable. No one has advocated spending 0 orbs on castle upgrades, so your arguments are specious straw men.

jesus christ dude

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I maxed the castle. I have no regrets. I encourage anyone reading this to do so too.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It gives me peace of mind

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Zurai posted:

Incorrect. I did a lot of my leveling in the arena. And, once more, you have effectively infinite stamina over the life of the game. You do not have infinite orbs.

This is exactly the same as choosing the +experience perks in Fallout. It's a terrible idea there and a bad one here.

Divide 4 by three and get back to me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So I did one last pull on this banner and got Jagen and a 4 star gunther. Toss in my cain and abel, and while I might only have 1 5*, I do have a super rad calvary team.

Now if only I get lucky and pull eliwood/leo...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

akulanization posted:

Divide 4 by three and get back to me.

Get back to me when the arena costs stamina. Or when using shards and crystals costs stamina.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I have +80% exp gain and with the 1.5x bonus currently I still don't get enough exp. I've spent over 300 stamina getting 4 units from level 30 to 36. I've had a few units die after picking up a kill, so I'm wasting quite a bit of exp though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As someone with a fully upgraded castle, I do regret it slightly. I don't think it's a terrible idea, but at least the last upgrade is pretty expensive for something that's almost irrelevant. The first three are great, and the 4th is arguable, but I think the last definitely isn't worth it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I consider how many of my summons have resulted in completely worthless garbage, I think the last castle upgrade has served me better than three average pulls.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cheetah7071 posted:

When I consider how many of my summons have resulted in completely worthless garbage, I think the last castle upgrade has served me better than three average pulls.

But surely I will get a 5 star this time!
4 3* and a 4*

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

As someone who doesn't feel like logging in every four hours to make every stamina point worth it, I like the peace of mind of knowing that I'm getting every available experience point out of the matches I do decide to play.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

And those arguments are entirely fair. I just don't think telling someone 'just buy all the upgrades, don't even think about it' is good advice. I accept that I'm on the unpopular side of this, and further accept that I'm not going to fully win over many people, but I believe people should actually give it some thought before they just mash the upgrade button.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
My Julia turned out to be -Atk +Spd. Not sure if that's good or not.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kyte posted:

My Julia turned out to be -Atk +Spd. Not sure if that's good or not.

You'll OHKO fewer things but won't be doubled by neutral spd Takumi anymore

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

cheetah7071 posted:

You'll OHKO fewer things but won't be doubled by neutral spd Takumi anymore

Sounds like an ok trade to me! Nino is too fragile and I've managed to waste ~10 duel crests this run without getting a goddamn max chain thanks to that loving four corners map.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Ironically, I pulled my first green mage today, Cecilia, just hours before RobinF. Cecilia seems like a pretty good straightforward green mage though. She seems like a decent Kagero/Takumi counter. I'll probably level her up along with RobinF tomorrow.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i don't speak japanese, but i assume it is saying something about fe: heroes being ezpz

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Translation:

Instructions:
Panel 1: FE Heroes, Smartphone
Panel 2: First, drag to attack a nearby enemy.
Panel 3: Crap! You just ended your movement right in front of the enemy! You always do this.
Panel 4: This is just like your life. Everything you do ends in failure.
Panel 5: You always say you're going to protect everyone, but you just run away whenever your HP gets low.
Panel 6: No one will ever love you.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 23, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Clarste posted:

Translation:

Instructions:
Panel 1: FE Heroes, Smartphone
Panel 2: First, drag to attack a nearby enemy.
Panel 3: Crap! You just ended your movement right in front of the enemy!
Panel 4: This is just like your life. Everything you do ends in failure.
Panel 5: You always say you're going to protect everyone, but you just run away whenever your HP gets low.
Panel 6: No one will ever love you.

And people say anime isn't relatable

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Zurai posted:

But it isn't Fallout, it's spefically a Modern Mobile gacha game. It's always the same, you will not have enough hours in your lifetime to get maximum efficiency in any one of these games. You actually have to consider real life time as a resource (as well as real money, time is money etc) when evaluating your next step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

But it isn't Fallout, it's spefically a Modern Mobile gacha game. It's always the same, you will not have enough hours in your lifetime to get maximum efficiency in any one of these games. You actually have to consider real life time as a resource (as well as real money, time is money etc) when evaluating your next step.

On the other hand, you don't need to level everybody ASAP.

That said, having to spend less time dealing with leveling people like Olivia is still (somewhat) worth it.