Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Carcer posted:

Why though? Whats the point in engaging with a system with the objective being to do as little of it as possible?

There's a massive gulf between optimizing your party so that you win fights decisively and winning combat for the entire game so hard you're done before round 1 really began. I'm not interested in finding technical flaws in games I can exploit to speed run them, and I'm not interested in speed running every single combat in this game.

Finding synergies is fun to me. I don't much care if they're over/underpowered, that was a joke. It's learning and discovering that I enjoy. I routinely sidelined whatever crutch I was relying on, brought along weaker characters until I could find something to make them work. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater just because stupidly OP stuff exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

incredible

I toyboxed myself like 200 nav insight so I don't know that it's that but that's super funny

I've had this problem after fighting dark eldar. They kick off the fight with their ability lockdown power, and it seems like the enforced cooldown period from that extends beyond the end of the fight. It's incredibly irritating, but at least it's the only major bug I've encountered so far.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah they mention off hand when you unlock ship ultimate powers that their cooldown is affected by events outside of combat but no specifics. A lot of the warp events are pretty opaque on what they actually do. Maybe they wanted to keep the warp properly more mysterious, but this is a mechanically crunchy game so not sure if it was a good idea. Lots of ship events in general talk about things going on in your ship that aren't clear if they have any mechanical impact. A bunch of people dying may be meaningless in your crazy labyrinthine ship, but if it was important people you'd expect some debuff or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Frozen Prince

- 3 500HP Chaos Marines
- 1 1k Hellbrute

That's clearly more balanced for an Act 4 party.

I tried to find a video of anyone clearing it in Act 2, no luck, but some posts said they were able to take it down on hard mode ~level 28 (while losing one party member per round) via Pasqal-Bounty Hunter stripping the defenses so Yrielt could do 400+ damage a shot in the end.

How does Pasqal manage to rip defenses like that? Expose Weakness is only one round, and you need to repeatedly stack the exploits up fairly high for it to matter. I've been finding that at the current pace my party is doing significantly more damage with Joint Analysis then benefits from Expose Weakness. Even then, assuming you do use expose weakness, that debuff is over when the next round starts and it's back to full strength.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I stopped using her because I don't like dogmatic crazy people like her. She liked it when i was nice to poor people but that was pretty much it.

shes interesting because its pretty clear her adherence to dogma is the only thing keeping her together. in general they did a really good job of making you care about all these objectively awful people, props to owlcat theyve come pretty far in the writing department since the kingmaker days

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Argenta has impulse issues, which is an issue because her impulse is ventilating friendly foreheads.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

babypolis posted:

shes interesting because its pretty clear her adherence to dogma is the only thing keeping her together. in general they did a really good job of making you care about all these objectively awful people, props to owlcat theyve come pretty far in the writing department since the kingmaker days
Pretty sure Pasqal is without sin or flaw

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Pretty sure Pasqal is without sin or flaw

If you listen to his advice He does like 35 things that would get him lobotomized or murdered by Mars.

Honestly he's probably the most heretical party member except for maybe the BDSM elf that I murdered the first chance I got.

All that said I love him and I follow his advice without question.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, Pasqual is a complete Heretek. He still rules.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

If you listen to his advice He does like 35 things that would get him lobotomized or murdered by Mars.

Mechanicus are almost as likely to be tempted to heresy by the lure of power as inquisitors. It's just more likely to be xenotech or inadvisable archaeotech, where inquisitors tend more towards daemons.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As long as they aren't mainlining the Chaos juice, a Heretek is just someone who hasn't finished writing up the explanation for why their invention newly recovered technology is Totally OK With The Omnissiah and not xenos stuff at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did you know that the best conditions for solving an impossibly difficult logic puzzle are during a demon attack in the warp, while someone is yelling at you, on drugs?

It's true! I deliberately sought out a deadly warp route so the captain could get the right zen.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 31, 2023

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

How do I build Argenta to make her super strong like people are saying? She's well behind Abelard and the psykers for me damage wise and I think I'm not using her well.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
yeah man it's not like the mechanicus is chronically and constantly falling to heresy in this game

:mad:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

How do I build Argenta to make her super strong like people are saying? She's well behind Abelard and the psykers for me damage wise and I think I'm not using her well.

You use action economy boosters on her to enable her to stack versatility, and other flat per-hit damage boosts, so that her BS gets high enough that she can put out a huge number of high damage hits from a rapid fire weapon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
doing pretty much any sane, reasonable thing is part of the slippery slope to heresy. and then a week later everything's covered in eyeballs. every time!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

it's hilarious that they made the Space Marine companion kind of eh. like the whole franchise goes on and on about how they're the best and while Ulfar isn't bad per se he gets gapped by machine gun nun and sword grandpa

I mean, he's perfectly capable of pulling off the same build as Argenta. He can't do the same poo poo as Abelard as far as damage mitigation, but honestly you don't need to. Any party with at least one officer can make either Argenta or Ulfar one-round most encounters, completely removing the need for a dedicated tank after their builds come online.

I end up using him because he's a fun character and pretty affable for a Space Marine. The Space Wolves in this game all seem to be pretty chummy with the Rogue Trader if you've got any amount of fight in you and are willing to sing and drink with them. You might not survive the drink, but it's the thought that counts.

Eifert Posting posted:

Argenta has impulse issues, which is an issue because her impulse is ventilating friendly foreheads.

Skill issue. Get that BS up and get her some recoil reduction.

wiegieman posted:

As long as they aren't mainlining the Chaos juice, a Heretek is just someone who hasn't finished writing up the explanation for why their invention newly recovered technology is Totally OK With The Omnissiah and not xenos stuff at all.

It's me, the Dogmatic Emperor-fearing Commissar who has performed sufficient mental gymnastics to excuse consorting with xenos and using their tech because the threat of the Archenemy demands the use of any and all tools that aren't directly related to the Archenemy or called a Halo Device.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

so far ive gone through every optional area as soon as i discovered them including the drifting void ship but i got to the ice planet and 3 chaos marines and a helbrute might be a bit much :staredog:

gottem :getin: did it at level 30 right after kiava gamma, ended up with half my crew dead. yriliet basically soloed the big guy, she had almost 400 lethality by the end and killed him in 3-4 hits. meanwhile he was shooting 9 rockets at her each turn that do over 100 damage each and missing every time

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Warmachine posted:

It's me, the Dogmatic Emperor-fearing Commissar who has performed sufficient mental gymnastics to excuse consorting with xenos and using their tech because the threat of the Archenemy demands the use of any and all tools that aren't directly related to the Archenemy or called a Halo Device.

The nearest Ordo will process your application right away, sir.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ulfar is cool but dealing with his 2x2 size is a pain in the rear end

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I square my Dogmatic alignment and my companionship with Yrliet + usage of xenos stuff simply by RP'ing my old Dark heresy character, who just hated Chaos so loving much he was willing to use non-Warp corrupted means to fight it.

Pakled posted:

Do you think that's why Owlcat made him a Soldier? :thunk:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pakled posted:

Ulfar is definitely not ridiculously enough. He's a Space Wolf with terminator honors, he should be killing deldar with his bare hands.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Does anyone know how to get further into Santiel's Pride? I rescued the scouts, went into the spire and cleared the baracade and passed the awareness check on the pipe, but then there just doesn't seem to be anything else to do.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

gottem :getin: did it at level 30 right after kiava gamma, ended up with half my crew dead. yriliet basically soloed the big guy, she had almost 400 lethality by the end and killed him in 3-4 hits. meanwhile he was shooting 9 rockets at her each turn that do over 100 damage each and missing every time

there wasnt even any good loot there

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lol I clicked some dialogue option in what appeared to be the finale of Cassia's companion quest line and it just drops me out of the convo and all the NPCs stand around like dorks with some random line if I try to talk to them.

edit: looks like I just had to reload a save and pick a different option before the one that was messing things up... fortunately there was a dialogue option that didnt progress that I could use

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 31, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol I couldn't find one of several computers in chap gamma and Rick left my party. What the hell guy

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Ulfar is definitely not ridiculously enough. He's a Space Wolf with terminator honors, he should be killing deldar with his bare hands.

He doesn't want to take all the work away from the young pups, they won't learn anything.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

pentyne posted:

Frozen Prince

- 3 500HP Chaos Marines
- 1 1k Hellbrute

That's clearly more balanced for an Act 4 party.

I tried to find a video of anyone clearing it in Act 2, no luck, but some posts said they were able to take it down on hard mode ~level 28 (while losing one party member per round) via Pasqal-Bounty Hunter stripping the defenses so Yrielt could do 400+ damage a shot in the end.

How does Pasqal manage to rip defenses like that? Expose Weakness is only one round, and you need to repeatedly stack the exploits up fairly high for it to matter. I've been finding that at the current pace my party is doing significantly more damage with Joint Analysis then benefits from Expose Weakness. Even then, assuming you do use expose weakness, that debuff is over when the next round starts and it's back to full strength.

I did this fight at level 29 on Daring tonight while still in A2. I had my RT (Officer/Sanctic Psyker), Cassia, Idira, Argenta, Yrliet, and an officer merc to buff. The fight itself was fairly simple, I used Idira to mark enemies as prey, then used Yrliet to one hit them from across the map. Each time she killed one it gave Idira a turn to buff people with dodge/stats, and then Yrliet was one shotting Chaos Marines with 600+ damage crits.

Argenta died immediately when the Hellbrute had its first round but other than that I took no damage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a better way on Quetza Temer than wandering at random?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Ulfar probably got done a bit dirty in regards to space marine hype vs performance but if we're dwelling on that sort of thing then Rogue Trader looked dead at the camera and said "gently caress Power Levels" somewhere around chapter 3.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the idea that six dudes can kill three tanks in 10 seconds isn't very intuitive

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wiegieman posted:

To be fair, the first time we see him he is doing exactly that. Or rather with a combat knife.

Cutscene powers might disqualify it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the idea that six dudes can kill three tanks in 10 seconds isn't very intuitive

We honestly make said Space Marines look like jokes. Chaos Defiler? Tactical squad of Word Bearers? Greater Daemon? 500 to 1000 points worth of Necrons?

Let me hit them with my sword.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warmachine posted:

We honestly make said Space Marines look like jokes. Chaos Defiler? Tactical squad of Word Bearers? Greater Daemon? 500 to 1000 points worth of Necrons?

Let me hit them with my sword.

I can't remember how long a single round is in RT, but I love to imagine your Chosen One either pseudo-teleporting like a shonen anime hero on meth or letting loose a single burst and getting a killing blow with every shot :allears:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I imagine combat with my retinue just involves a shockwave-like wall of shells moving over the battlefield leaving nothing but viscera behind as a heavy bolter empties its entire 100-round magazine in 2.3 seconds and misses with none of them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

All this talk of hyper-Argenta makes me sad I seem to have missed the best guns in Act 1 :mad:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turbogenta doesn't kick in until Act 2 anyway. Before that she's best off toting a longlas.
Transition into Heavy Stubber once she gets the essential traits from Arch-Militant.

You know what I really want? The M34 Autocannon.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 31, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Turbogenta doesn't kick in until Act 2 anyway. Before that she's best off toting a longlas.
Transition into Heavy Stubber once she gets the essential traits from Arch-Militant.

You know what I really want? The M34 Autocannon.
Yeah when I put the game down I had JUST gotten everyone's second class option up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

All this talk of hyper-Argenta makes me sad I seem to have missed the best guns in Act 1 :mad:

The Lone Badger posted:

Yep. What breaks her burst-fire over the knee is Versatility stacks. You take every talent that gives you bonus versatility stacks and build them to the moon using your Officer's bonus turns. Since Versatility adds bonus BS per stack you end up getting enough accuracy to mostly counter act the recoil (and will find items to counter recoil later), and once you're above 4 stacks, you do an additional BS Bonus / 2 extra damage per shot. Then you add in the other incidental damage buffs, +critical damage (your BS is so high that you're critting on almost every bullet), and you just run around turning everything into goo.

Act 1 is probably better served by doing some Cassia cheese as you'll be able to get WP stacking online faster and it doesn't require your 2nd archtype to work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Question about Hunting Grounds
I told Winterscale he shouldn't kill the Eldar and was given three ways to convince him - Coercion, Commerce and Persuade. I passed each check in turn. But this didn't seem to actually change anything and he still wanted to fight them when I returned to the main conversation trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a better way on Quetza Temer than wandering at random?

Maybe but that's how I did it