Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BATS ARENT BUGS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

As we suspected all along, the automatons weren't defeated, luckily they have fallen into our trap by mounting a massive unexpected assault!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Human faction from one of the previous Super-Earths.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Opopanax posted:

BATS ARENT BUGS!!!

hosed up if true

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Sunshine Heavy Industries is an extremely cute puzzle game where you need to make maximally efficient spaceships according to a whole bunch of different variables like certain parts used, overall capabilities, minimising dimensions, making sure that weapons and viewports aren't occluded by other parts etc. It's fun and has a nice little story mode that sets you up with a bunch of set puzzles on top of essentially endless random puzzles being available outside of story mode.

In one of the story mode missions you need to steal a cloaking device that cloaks everything within a certain radius. So you have to lure someone to your shipbuilding yard with the promise of a free oil change, and steal one from him. The way that you do it is to remove one of three cloaking devices on his ship while still keeping all of the ship's capabilities exactly the same as they were when he first came in.

So the above is the ship he brings in. So the easiest cloaking device to steal is the one in the middle. Hm. The most efficient way is to remove the midsection entirely, move any of the actual functional components to other parts of his ship...

...and turn it into a Chode.

I choose to believe that making this the most obvious solution was deliberate on the part of the developers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In Immortals of Aveum you have a construct made of rocks as a temporary NPC companion…it doesn’t talk or have any real personality, but it does an adorable little spin dance any time it finishes a combat encounter. :3:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I just discovered another neat thing about Death Stranding! The cities are surrounded by semi-invisible force fields, to protect from baddies and such. Sam can't walk through them, and today I found out that sound doesn't travel through them neither. So if your camera is on one side, and Sam is on the other, he can holler without you hearing it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

oh wow

In Immortals of Aveum the worldbuilding is really cool but the plot has been kind of rote so far, so this really jumped out at me. I’ve seen people in the other thread complaining that it was really obvious that a mysterious villain was probably secretly another character, and it’s not like the game particularly signposted it a lot or anything it was just kind of an obvious twist.

When the reveal finally happens you realize that the main character has had his suspicions the whole game too, and was just desperate to be wrong. It landed a lot better than pretending it was some shocking blindside moment for the player!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Another couple things in Immortals:

- it’s way too long until you finally unlock it but the refraction prism puzzles just feel good to do, like playing with a laser pointer that gets you fun gear

- the big fuckoff kamehameha style tri-color Dominion magic super attack is fun as hell and has a good balance between charge up time and power. it charges fast enough that you can use it pretty often, it’s powerful enough to give you a serious edge without trivializing anything but the most basic encounters, and it bypasses a bunch of the more frustrating mechanics for a few seconds in a pinch (like if you’re attacked by big dudes with green regen, red armor and blue shields all at once). It’s not like some games where you might get your ultimate attack once per level or something and therefore never use it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The DJ on the radio in Burnout 3 TAKEDOWN is fuckin hilarious. His name is DJ Stryker (on Crash FM) and he is the weirdest dude. He is barely over 21, allegedly covered snowboarding events in SSX Tricky, and is now in charge of a radio station covering an international racing event. His quips are either advice on the race or just the most random poo poo. The game opens with you burning rubber around an Americana lakefront and the whole time he's just talking about how It's a great day to fish and at the end he caught one that 'was as big as his... Car'. At this time he reported that he cooperated with the city to reactivate the tram service such that you could loving crash cars into it. Metal.

His goal seems to be some kind of mass chaos? I am constantly informed that Vans and petroleum trucks exist in this world to explode. I have been told that if a civilian is bothering me on the road I should crash another racer into them. Bury my fellow racers in snow. Crash them into the ocean. He has referenced Twisted Metal as art obliquely through talking about a local gallery.

During the EU section of the game, he talked about getting wasted on tequila and boning in his hotel room before going out on an illegal street race. Live, on air, in-between 2004 nu metal songs. Later during that same race he elaborated that he was getting high on the fumes and it's legal because we are in the EU. He kindly let me know that the local government refused to cooperate and lower toll booth costs, so I'm free to just blast right through them.

Multiple times now he has told me he does his reporting in a thong.

The racing and crashing is almost the second most fun part of the game behind listening to Stryker's grand terrorism scheme.

Edit: something nuts is that they gave him a different name and different type of crazy for each localization. He is called DJ Starman in French, DJ Arturo in Spanish, and DJ Blackpearl in German. Starman is a French House bro who uses French idioms, Arturo lives racing events and commentates like it is one, and Blackpearl is a hype beast who interrupts the music more often to tell you to crash more.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Apr 13, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

DJ Atomika is great in ssx 3, similar vibe. The same character does burnout paradise as well

It really adds something to the game, even if I've heard the lines a million times before. It gives everything a lot of personality

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It was neat that the various EA games of the time had a little shared universe.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Babe Magnet posted:

One of the side NPCs on your ship mentions Rebels at one point and it would be dope as gently caress if you had dudes calling in the same kinds of orbital strikes and turrets and poo poo you do

but yeah Helldivers 2 is one of the only games actually living up to its Live Service potential and you know Sony have absolutely learned the wrong lesson when they were praising it and saying that it convinced them to do more Live Service stuff not too long ago lol

It's been out like two months

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yep

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just feel like it's probably too soon to say a hyped up live service game is living up to its potential. You gotta figure the first few months of release are the only ones with planning

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

I just feel like it's probably too soon to say a hyped up live service game is living up to its potential. You gotta figure the first few months of release are the only ones with planning

They're getting the benefit of the doubt because they did the same with Helldivers 1 and people loved it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Len posted:

You would think so, but the competition has usually stumbled by now so the bar is pretty low.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I am finally playing Tunic and now I get why the one piece of information about the game that doesn't get you assassinated is that the Manual is cool now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think 'won't get you assassinated' is a bit much tbqh

the thing about tunic is that it's one of those games where progression is *knowledge-based*, meaning that knowing you can do a certain thing or learn the meaning of something is past a spoiler into being part of the intended gameplay. the manual is a big part of the success of that!

knowledge-based progression is really cool if you can manage it, and I've played more than one game that fails really hard on that front (looking at you, antichamber)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"I have more power than I give myself credit for, and today I'm gonna USE IT...in the BAR!" -- my dwarf, on loading into Deep Rock Galactic

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flatluigi posted:

the thing about tunic is that it's one of those games where progression is *knowledge-based*, meaning that knowing you can do a certain thing or learn the meaning of something is past a spoiler into being part of the intended gameplay. the manual is a big part of the success of that!

knowledge-based progression is really cool if you can manage it, and I've played more than one game that fails really hard on that front (looking at you, antichamber)

Yeah and it makes Tunic and Inscryption two games you couldn't get a single sentence of detail out of people even if you did every Mortal Kombat fatality on them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's almost a whole genre now where every last facet of the entire possibility space they present is considered part of the value and something not to share with anyone. Outer Wilds. Frog Fractions. Probably others

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

haveblue posted:

It's almost a whole genre now where every last facet of how they are told to you is considered part of the value and something not to share with anyone. Outer Wilds. Frog Fractions. Probably others

Would you count Return of the Obra Dinn in that group or is that just a really fun game you can only play and enjoy once?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everyone always gushes over Return of the Obra Dinn, and rightfully so, but they gloss over the first game in the series, The Obra Dinn

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

flatluigi posted:

I'm curious what exactly you thought about Antichamber c:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

oldpainless posted:

Everyone always gushes over Return of the Obra Dinn, and rightfully so, but they gloss over the first game in the series, The Obra Dinn

Well yeah it was a generic first person shooter

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Would you count Return of the Obra Dinn in that group or is that just a really fun game you can only play and enjoy once?

Obra Dinn runs on your knowledge in a similar way, but the knowledge isn't as fundamentally mechanical. It's easier to talk about what the game is about and how it works without giving away any puzzle solutions or plot twists.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, most puzzle games have zero replay value once you have the solutions, but not all of them make absolutely everything you do, down to the most basic structure of the world and how you interact with it, part of the puzzle

Like, no one considers it a spoiler to say that Tetris is about rotating blocks or Myst is about a series of islands. But people still try not to mention that, say, Outer Wilds has a time loop

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sininu posted:

I'm curious what exactly you thought about Antichamber c:

outside of some very obvious binary knowledge checks ("do you know what this symbol means or not? great") i felt it did a very poor job of actually confirming assumptions and making the player feel confident that they figured something out, which can lead to a lot of flailing around/going into rabbitholes on things that are meaningless/not confidently following what you're "supposed" to do because it feels arbitrary or even game-breaking

it should've been a game very much up my alley but i've tried to go back to it a few times and it just leaves me cold

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Arc: Twilight of the Spirits on PS2 and I'm enjoying it so far. It has a fairly cute metaphor for coal with the magic crystals that you have to distribute between your party to refill their magic as magic power is a resource that has to be mined and therefore has scarcity. also I like that the two brothers have differing personalities to what you'd expect. The monstrous servant is a gentle giant raised by brutes, and the prince is bloodthirsty and foolhardy, only wanting to fight.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wow, that takes me back--I did a fair bit of translation work on that game. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

Yeah, most puzzle games have zero replay value once you have the solutions, but not all of them make absolutely everything you do, down to the most basic structure of the world and how you interact with it, part of the puzzle

Like, no one considers it a spoiler to say that Tetris is about rotating blocks or Myst is about a series of islands. But people still try not to mention that, say, Outer Wilds has a time loop

Literally not a spoiler it's part of the marketing lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Hirayuki posted:

Wow, that takes me back--I did a fair bit of translation work on that game. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

I spoke too soon, just finished Darc's first chapter. after almost all the allies he'd made betrayed him, losing him everything he'd built for himself, he's had a severe psychotic break and gone to the thought of "If I can't convince them to help me nicely, gently caress IT! Time to beat everyone into line!"

It's interesting that the story basically starts with the long lost brothers getting radicalised against one another.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

Literally not a spoiler it's part of the marketing lol

Maybe, but there was definitely a period where the forums consensus was "say NOTHING beyond it's a really good game" and people would get mad at you if you posted that unspoiled

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
even if it's an easy to stumble across detail it might be fun to go into the game without knowing it, so i don't blame people for that advice -- but i'm also one of those people who doesn't harbor any malice towards people who are protective about spoilers, even if i know it aggravates others pretty heavily. you can only learn a thing for the first time once, after all

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The thing that is super annoying though if someone comes in saying something like "I'm stuck on this part of whatever game and I'm ripping my hair and just want to get past it what do I do?!?" And all they get are a bunch of "hmm keep playing", "it'll ruin it for you if we tell you".

That's not a SA thing either. There's a puzzle in Tunic that I got stuck on where I was googling the solution and every other person asking about the same puzzle on Reddit, gamefaqs, etc. had to reiterate multiple times "I don't care if it spoils anything that's why I'm loving asking" until someone finally told them what they wanted to know.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's an entirely different thing though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

"this game literally says in every store description it's a groundhog day game, they couldn't have bought it without seeing text that says that. Better spoil tag it always"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I think the twist in Outer Wilds is more how SHORT the loop is overall and WHY you are looping, rather than the loop itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Len posted:

"this game literally says in every store description it's a groundhog day game, they couldn't have bought it without seeing text that says that. Better spoil tag it always"

Your use of "literally" is maybe slightly incorrect but it is definitely redundant.