Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Sad Panda posted:

Looks good and maybe tempts me to replace my late 2013 13". Is the difference between Pro and Max purely GPU related? That's what it seemed like.

It can also use 64 GB of RAM, the Pro caps at 32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Not sure how I feel about MagSafe to be honest. Yeah MagSafe is great and all but by now I’ve gotten used to being able to charge (almost) everything with the same USB-C power brick and USB-C cable. MagSafe means it’s an extra brick and cable I have to bring again.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not sure how I feel about MagSafe to be honest. Yeah MagSafe is great and all but by now I’ve gotten used to being able to charge (almost) everything with the same USB-C power brick and USB-C cable. MagSafe means it’s an extra brick and cable I have to bring again.

You can still charge it with the USB-C ports.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

It can charge on TB.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Huh -- maybe I missed this in all the discussion but is magsafe an actual special power brick or is it just a usb-c -> magsafe cable that can plug into a power brick?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Martytoof posted:

it is just a usb-c -> magsafe cable that can plug into a power brick

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh that's super cool. I can probably re-use every power brick I have around the house/office then, just need a few more magsafe cables.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pulcinella posted:

Glad I never got that AMD 5600M in the Intel pro. That was a ~$700 upgrade and the new pro just blows it out of the water.

Gonna be interesting to see how well X-Plane Mac handles the new GPUs..

Now didn't that 5600M have 8 GB of HBM2 RAM or whatever? I'm guessing the Unified Architechture eliminates the need for any copying between main RAM and that HBM2 RAM..

Aaaand of course the 140W adapter for the 16-inch MMBP is not a square but a rectangle.. oh well

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 18, 2021

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

yeah this is my bad, when you're on the order screen it just says "usb-c charger" absolutely nothing about magsafe.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Gonna be interesting to see how well X-Plane Mac handles the new GPUs..

Now didn't that 5600M have 8 GB of HBM2 RAM or whatever? I'm guessing the Unified Architechture eliminates the need for any copying between main RAM and that HBM2 RAM..

Lol forgot about xplane. Going to hook up my TM Warthog and MFG Crosswind pedals to a laptop.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 18, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the heck, I want a whole MBP in the box, not just the top 2/3 :mad:

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
My 2016 MacBook Pro is currently in getting its fourth top case replacement, so these new machines are really appealing to me. Especially being a video editor by trade.

I would miss BootCamp and a lot of virtual machine capability, but I'm not sure if that wouldn't be offset by never having the blood-boiling disappointment I get every 6-9 months when that loving butterfly keyboard starts failing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah losing boot camp is my biggest regret. I love playing the odd game in windows on my mbp

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
You'll pry my 2018 Pro from my cold dead fingers at the heat death of the universe in 7 years but I hope someone makes a good add-on dock thingy that supports nu-Magsafe and isn't in danger of breaking. If it plugs into both thunderbolts on the port side it can totes support the weight of the machine in a bag, but not in the z-axis. Hmm...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Isn't there already a glut of USB-C magnetic power plugs that theoretically do the same thing? You'd just be losing a USB-C port I guess.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
This is loving stupid the new models are being withheld from the employee portal so who even knows when regular rear end people who just want to use their friends employee discount will even be able to get this poo poo

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Martytoof posted:

Isn't there already a glut of USB-C magnetic power plugs that theoretically do the same thing? You'd just be losing a USB-C port I guess.

I mean, yes, but none made my any manufacturer I'd consider reputable and also you're losing 1/4 of your potential throughput, if not 1/2, if you gently caress up the ports/PCB on a given side, and they're not particularly unobstrusive, nor do they support the new magsafe standard.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Taima posted:

This is loving stupid the new models are being withheld from the employee portal so who even knows when regular rear end people who just want to use their friends employee discount will even be able to get this poo poo

lol wat

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Taima posted:

Is employee discount the same amount as education?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

I mean, yes, but none made my any manufacturer I'd consider reputable and also you're losing 1/4 of your potential throughput, if not 1/2, if you gently caress up the ports/PCB on a given side, and they're not particularly unobstrusive, nor do they support the new magsafe standard.

Yeah, good call. I'm not sure that you'll find that in a magsafe dock either right now, but all valid points :)

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

When I worked at Apple back in the day the discount sucked so probably

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

You'd use these in particular places, such as a coffee shop or running long for a port in the conference room. USB-C is inherently tearable but i'd rather not take that risk if there is a self-sacrificing power port.

They've gone from BYOD i/o to covering all the real-rear end pro bases and 3 usb ports is very fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

https://youtu.be/EsNS5gnUTj4

AlternateAccount posted:

the graphics boost doesn't matter, it absolutely cannot run Crysis.

fool! Watch it run in a VM!

OH MY loving GOD. THEY MADE THE MAGSAFE CABLE REMOVABLE.

I loving LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

the notch is a little ‘eeeh’ (it’s v obvious that Apple has proactively added the real estate to put in a FaceID module in a future update), and I’m semi-miffed about no Mini, but they gave us everything we could want in these MBPs

A Space Gray 14” is like my 2007 polycarb BlackBook, my old 2011 Sandy Bridge MBA, and my current daily 2013 15” rMBP doing a Fusion Dance and then unlocking hitherto-unseen new levels of Super Saiyan

Al-Saqr posted:

It’s probably the only Game that will work on the thing lol

I really feel bad for people with the M1 in terms of gaming, don’t get me wrong the specs and integration and use for rendering video and music and stuff is super fantastic so is the sheer efficiency and speed of it all, but I am genuinely curious how high-end gaming would work with such a tightly integrated tech and it’s a shame we’ll probably never find out unless steam really ups their compatibility options. I would genuinely be interested in seeing how I dunno far cry or red dead 2 or Witcher 3 handle rendering/load times and stuff.

There’s already a big community of ppl that do this. A lot of Windows games can be made to run p well on M1 using emulation, Rosetta, and a bunch of other tools. CrossOver is a very popular tool for this.

A lot of this stuff is based on the moves/underlying tech Valve has been working on WRT Linux compatibility, etc.

In terms of native gaming, there’s actually a decent trickle of stuff, especially good indie stuff.

Disco Elysium just got a native M1 port that locks the game at 60fps. The “locked down” nature of the system can be good for optimization purposes as it allows devs to treat it more like a console and squeeze every bit of quality out of otherwise “underpowered” or unconventional hardware.

A lot of the games initially ported to Intel Macs run at least as well on M1. Hades runs fine on Rosetta 2

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

incoherent posted:

USB-C is inherently tearable

That may have been a design goal but throughput and signal integrity won that battle. Tearable? lol.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have a 2019 16" but I'm pretty tempted here

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

I believe it’s 15% but you can’t use it on hot new product launches.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

These new MBPs look great but I think I'm gonna hold on to my 2016 for at least one more year.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Lol a (refurb) M1 MBP w 16gb is only worth 590 on trade in. I’m almost tempted to see how much my work intel 2020 is worth

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

track day bro! posted:

Lol a (refurb) M1 MBP w 16gb is only worth 590 on trade in. I’m almost tempted to see how much my work intel 2020 is worth

lemme stop you there: $780

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

honestly the new mpb looks kinda tubby

and the notch :barf:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

I mean mine was in british failpounds, I still kinda want it but I’ll wait for a bit.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m glad the Mac is fat, was worried it’d be as thin as an iPad

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Sphyre posted:

Tubby is in for cuffing season.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Umm, you mean..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30AEV_1cyyM

quote:

OH MY loving GOD. THEY MADE THE MAGSAFE CABLE REMOVABLE.

I loving LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

I mean, it was literally the only thing wrong with MagSafe 2 adapters that their cable was integrated into the brick; it's now a more perfect solution since the tear away can now technically happen at two points now.

quote:

the notch is a little ‘eeeh’ (it’s v obvious that Apple has proactively added the real estate to put in a FaceID module in a future update), and I’m semi-miffed about no Mini, but they gave us everything we could want in these MBPs

I think the whole notch thing is overblown and other than maybe a few fruity loops who claim they use every single inch of the menu bar, IMHO it's not that big of a deal, especially since we got a 1080P camera (finally!) out of it..

It's gonna get pretty drat interesting if we get some enterprising programmer who locks himself in a mountain cabin for a few months and then suddenly is writing insane poo poo at assembly level on the M1s, like Paul Lutus did for the Apple ][..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sphyre posted:

don’t you dare bodyshame the MacBook Pro, especially on this of all websites

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Sad Panda posted:

It's 15% is that the same?

Ok I just looked, the employee discount is better. I agree broadly speaking that 15% is not an astonishing employee discount but I'll take it.

Back in the day all of the valley companies would do cost+ but I rarely if ever see that anymore.

Josh Lyman posted:

I believe it’s 15% but you can’t use it on hot new product launches.

Highly variable. Seems to depend on how their stock is, there have been plenty of new launches where you can use it, but this is not one of them.

Between the employee discount and chase 5% off paypal im saving nearly 20% so I'm going to wait even if my monkey brain is extremely displeased

Sphyre posted:

The notch just makes the bezels smaller, you could easily just opt to not display data there and it would be literally the same as not having a notch

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 18, 2021

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

incoherent posted:

They're selling refurbished base models for $850. I wonder what the resale market is going to be for M1 MBAs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Taima posted:

The notch just makes the bezels smaller, you could easily just opt to not display data there and it would be literally the same as not having a notch

yeah they sized the panel so that you still get 16:10 in the area below the notch, the part of the display the notch cuts into is just a bonus

the full panel including the notched area is 16:10.4

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

anothergod posted:

They're selling refurbished base models for $850. I wonder what the resale market is going to be for M1 MBAs.

just as ridiculous as it was for Intel Macs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
New MacBooks are neat but I'm fine with my MBA M1 for now. Also was surprised they did Gen 3 regular AirPods instead of a Gen 2 AirPods Pro.