Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
They didn’t really show off Monterey at all today, right?

I could see there being a quieter November event/announcement for the Mini + Monterey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wonder if the new MMBPs have 3x3 MIMO streams..

The OG M1 MBP only has 2x2 802.11ax streams, even the 2017 rMBPs to the 2019 rMBPs had 3x3 802.11ac..

I've got a UniFi U6-LR with 4X4 802.11ax radios, it'd be nice if the new MMBPs took advantage...

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Monterey will be released next Monday. Think they did a press release after the event.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I wish I knew more about the hardware.

Like, the for the M1 Pro 10-Core w/ 32GB vs M1 Max 10-Core w/ 32GB:
Are these the same CPU cores at the same speed? Is the only difference in processing then the 200GB/sec vs 400GB/sec memory bandwidth? How noticeable will that be in daily use?

16-Core GPU, 24-Core GPU, 32-Core GPU - is there a way to know what these are comparable to (in relation to what's available from AMD or NVidia)? I suppose my gaming and video processing will be minimal, so I probably don't need all the cores. I'm guessing I'd probably take advantage of the memory bandwidth of the M1 Max chip more than the GPU cores.

The prices are so similar for the setup I want: 32GB RAM w/ 2TB SSD:

M1 Pro, 16-Core, 32GB w/ 2TB: $3499
M1 Max, 24-Core, 32GB w/ 2TB: $3699 (~6% increase in price, 100%(?) increase in memory bandwidth)
M1 Max, 32-Core, 32GB, w/ 2TB: $3899 (~5.5% increase in price)

I'm coming from a Late 2013 MBP (16GB w/ 1TB), so anything will be way better than what I have. I don't even know if it's worth it to go beyond the M1 Pro.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

They didn’t really show off Monterey at all today, right?

I could see there being a quieter November event/announcement for the Mini + Monterey.

They already quietly said that Monterey releases Oct. 25th...

https://www.apple.com/macos/monterey/

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

drat, three hours of waffling on 1 or 2 TB bumped the expected shipping date back by a week. (I went with 1, external drives are cheap.)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Also flush mount micosd is an option again.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Perplx posted:

Also flush mount micosd is an option again.

wanna run my $3500 supernotebook like a goddamn raspberry pi

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Does anyone know if trade ins for online purchase have to be mailed, or if I could just take it into an Apple store?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I went with the $1999 14inch SKU, and part of me is rethinking it and instead going with the $2499 pre-selected one instead?

I feel like it's not that much more of a stretch to get the extra space and more performance

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Josh Lyman posted:

I believe it’s 15% but you can’t use it on hot new product launches.

Just out of curiosity do the apple store people get that discount too or is it corp only

Buff Hardback posted:

I went with the $1999 14inch SKU, and part of me is rethinking it and instead going with the $2499 pre-selected one instead?

I feel like it's not that much more of a stretch to get the extra space and more performance

I mean, would you use the space and performance?

Personally I'm getting the cheapest 16 inch because as a guy who mostly codes I could technically work on a fuckin' chromebook or something I'm sure. I don't need this, just want it, cuz I like shiny tech things. In any case the point is, like, are you in the use case for the upgraded stuff for sure because if you're not probably just get the cheaper one imo

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

wanna run my $3500 supernotebook like a goddamn raspberry pi

Well, that card being an SDXC slot does open up a lot of storage possibilities.

The max spec of SDXC cards floats between 160 MB/sec to 312 MB/sec, and you can get a 1 TB microSD card for about $180.. its not exactly high speed storage and nowhere near the speed of the internal SSD (which is something like 7.6 GB/sec (!)) but it's perfect for non-video and small to mid-size graphics storage..

It's deffo slow enough it'd be unsuitable for actually booting off of (and I have this feeling Apple wouldn't support booting from the SD card anyway) but hey I could see storing alternate Photo libraries and other poo poo on it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 18, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
You can also whack one of those USB-C SSDs into a thunderbolt slot easy peasy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

IDK about you but this computer could easily last me a decade

when all is said and done I’m gonna end up spending $3500 on a 14”

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Taima posted:

Just out of curiosity do the apple store people get that discount too or is it corp only

Everyone gets it, or at least they did 10+ years ago

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks brother! Oh well. I'll get it when I get it. It hurts my soul, really figured I would have this bad boy in my hands next week, but sometimes first world problems happen unexpectedly and you have to buck up, ya know

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

IDK about you but this computer could easily last me a decade

I guess we're all agreed that this is effectively the second coming of the 2015 rMBPs..

(Minus the fact that the 13-inch 2015 rMBP was still somewhat hobbled what with Apple insisting that it only be a dual core)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Yeah those are some good points, I'm sure the base SKU will still absolutely kick rear end compared to my 2016 Surface Book 1 with 256GB of storage, and since I don't keep a whole lot of stuff on my devices anyway, I think it should be okay

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah those are some good points, I'm sure the base SKU will still absolutely kick rear end compared to my 2016 Surface Book 1 with 256GB of storage, and since I don't keep a whole lot of stuff on my devices anyway, I think it should be okay

either that, or I’m telling you to spec up :dance:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Guess my bought-yesterday MBA M1 is staying with me.

It’s really a nice machine. Touchpads and keyboards have gotten a lot better since my last laptop.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Finally retiring my 2014 rMBP for one of these. Just in time too because that model won’t support the upcoming macOS version.

Bought a 14 inch with 10 cores, 32gb ram, and 1tb storage. Gonna compile so much dang code on this thing.

E: also Space Gray. Big lmao if you don’t get space gray.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My most important question is yet unanswered;

Does the notch block the mouse cursor?

No, wait;

Does the notch add two more hot corners?!

I have to know!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ok Comboomer posted:

either that, or I’m telling you to spec up :dance:

you drive a hard bargain

i am going to think some more and decide

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I want the new MBP when it comes out.... I have a 2019 MBP that works fine.

Should I do a trade in or screw with selling it private party, goon hive mind? Apple trade in is coming back with $560.

My model is MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019) 1.4GHz, 128GB.

VVVVVV hey get out of here man

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 18, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Apple's trade-in program is offering me $900 for my 13" M1 MBP that I just bought last November/December, with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD.

Worth it to avoid any headaches, or do I try to sell it on SA-Mart/elsewhere?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Xenomorph posted:

I wish I knew more about the hardware.

Like, the for the M1 Pro 10-Core w/ 32GB vs M1 Max 10-Core w/ 32GB:
Are these the same CPU cores at the same speed? Is the only difference in processing then the 200GB/sec vs 400GB/sec memory bandwidth? How noticeable will that be in daily use?

This isn't a direct answer for your question, but take a look at a bunch of the benchmarks for CPU stuff.

For me, the Pro Chipset and the Max Chipset are identical in performance.

I can save the upgrade cost and put it into storage or memory. Or just pocket it.

(Pro photography apps use CPU almost exclusively).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I can’t have a supercar, but if I can swing a $2500 MBP I can probably swing a $3800 MBP with way more power than I need

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Should I do a trade in or screw with selling it private party, goon hive mind? Apple trade in is coming back with $560.

560 trade in sounds horribly low to me but maybe the non M1 stuff deprecated really fast?

Some things have awesome trade in. For example I traded in my ipad pro 12.9 2018 for $510.

I got that ipad for $600 from the refurb store with the employee discount that I bummed off a friend so they basically gave full trade in on the value less $100. Amazing.

But yeah 560 for a 2019 mbp seems bad

Ok Comboomer posted:

I can’t have a supercar, but if I can swing a $2500 MBP I can probably swing a $3800 MBP with way more power than I need

I don't see the point at all, you could just get something you can use the best and if you really wanna blow it go do some really fire omakase once a week for 5 weeks or something

1k is still a lot even if it's not a financial imposition. That's why I'm waiting for the employee portal just to save $400, do I need to, gently caress no, but that's still like, a charity contribution or if I'm being a real jerk, a michelin joint prix fixe waiting there for the taking

The super blinged out MBPs dont even go for that much more when you eventually sell it.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 18, 2021

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Apple's trade-in program is offering me $900 for my 13" M1 MBP that I just bought last November/December, with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD.

Worth it to avoid any headaches, or do I try to sell it on SA-Mart/elsewhere?

I'll give you $1000 for that. PM if interested.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Yeah that seems low. I'm planning on a M1 16" in the new year so my trade in will probably go down but right now it's $1820 Canadian for my 2019 16" (so $1500 or so USD).

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I have a 2014 MBP that still does everything I need it to do with buttery smoothness, and yet I really want to throw away $3500 so that Safari will open .2 seconds faster I am not a smart man

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ordering today will guarantee you own the latest Apple computer for the longest possible time, so I think we all know why I pushed that button.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

quote:

I have a 2014 2016 MBP that still does everything I need it to do with buttery smoothness, and yet I really want to throw away $3500 so that Safari will open .2 seconds faster I am not a smart man

Also, for some reason I find it amusing how the power requirements jump so hard from the 8-core M1Pro to anything else. 67W -> 96W charger.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I thought this was gonna be a day 1 order for me, but can’t really justify the price premium of a 16gb/1tb Pro ($2199) over a similarly specd M1 Air ($1599). I guess I’ll wait for reviews….

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

.Z. posted:

Also, for some reason I find it amusing how the power requirements jump so hard from the 8-core M1Pro to anything else. 67W -> 96W charger.

I've got a desktop rig with a 750W power supply gobbling energy from the wall and in comparison what my M1 MacBook Air is able to do sipping power from the wall in comparison is exciting stuff. It'll be neat to see what their new chips can do with just a bit more power.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Mia Wasikowska posted:

so i got one of those 120hz 4k tvs that goes over the newish hdmi and nothing supports it (except the nvidia 30somethings i dont have), will these support it? that would be sick

Doesn't look like it unfortunately, at least not over its HDMI out:

quote:

HDMI digital video output
Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
Maybe it's possible over some Thunderbolt contraption, but I wouldn't bet on it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Your desktop rig isn't running anywhere near 750W.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Buff Hardback posted:

you drive a hard bargain

i am going to think some more and decide

I have been convinced, I just have to wait for the pending installment to fall off my Apple Card before I can pull the trigger on it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

pyrotek posted:

Do we know for sure that we'll get full performance on battery? I'm a bit skeptical that the 10-core CPU 32-core GPU version will run the same speed off of battery. They are packing in 96W and 140W chargers for a reason.

Based off of the charts they showed, the CPU maxes out at 30W, the GPU at 60W. The 14" has a 70-watt-hour battery and the 16" a 100-watt-hour. Battery isn't going to last too long on these when doing intensive tasks. These are high power parts, not at all like the base M1 Macs.

They promised full performance on battery. The bigger chargers seem to be about charge time, based on the presentation and the spec pages.

The truth is that incredibly few applications can max out both CPU and GPU continuously over long periods of time, so the sum of 90W isn't as scary as you might think.

The other important factor is power management. Intel has become kinda bad at this. The ~45W TDP i7/i9 chips Apple was using in the 16" Pros have CPU cores which, at max frequency, can use nearly 20W each. That means just a few active threads can put the fans into blastoff mode. (And yes, 8 * 20 is a really big number. If you actually try to use all eight cores, clock speeds fall off a cliff.)

M1 cores deliver the same or better performance per core at max frequency, but power per core at max freq is under 6W iirc. This translates to much less power used for low / medium intensity loads, and much less frequency dropoff when you use all cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

I'm sure we'll find out soon but AFAIK there were no uArch / tweaks to the actual CPU cores, right?

Johnny Srouji didn't mention anything which sounded like that.