Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Of course this was the resolution to this plot point, this manga has literally two hacker characters, who else would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure why that subplot is even there.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

For tension

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Of course this was the resolution to this plot point, this manga has literally two hacker characters, who else would it be?

It was inevitable, but I'm surprised it took this long to get here.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Uh I guess if you squint and do the thing that a lot of manga do and have "good at mechanics" also mean "good at computers", you could maybe have Mei do the counter-hacking?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hacking duels are boring, i'm not interested until gentle criminal shows up and defeats shigaraki by trapping him in a cube of invisible air trampolines

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not sure why that subplot is even there.

To let La Brava have a hero moment.

It's obvious at this point that this last fight is so drawn out in part because it's the last chance to show off things like Deku's other powers, Gentle and La Brava turning their lives around, and so on. It's a classic problem of shonen fight manga last acts. You want to give everyone left time to shine, so you keep having to pause the main action to let someone else get spotlight.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Valentin posted:

hacking duels are boring, i'm not interested until gentle criminal shows up and defeats shigaraki by trapping him in a cube of invisible air trampolines

He'll have him punch a barrier so hard that Decay is also rebounded and erases Shigaraki

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shigaraki is gonna go "nuh uh" and dust his rear end because that's what this manga is about.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

To let La Brava have a hero moment.

It's obvious at this point that this last fight is so drawn out in part because it's the last chance to show off things like Deku's other powers, Gentle and La Brava turning their lives around, and so on. It's a classic problem of shonen fight manga last acts. You want to give everyone left time to shine, so you keep having to pause the main action to let someone else get spotlight.

Why would you need to give everyone a moment? All that does is waste time.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Delphisage posted:

Why would you need to give everyone a moment? All that does is waste time.

because its cool when characters get to have a moment? theres no time to waste if its fun content

mha doesnt always get the fun part right but this is a bizarre way to approach media

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bringing back La Brava and Gentle is one of the less baffling decisions made in this finale, all things considered. Their stories were both compelling and lacked real closure.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Bringing back La Brava and Gentle feels like it would make a lot more sense if the manga wasn't already trying and failing to juggle the other 470 characters all clamoring for spotlight time because the manga adamantly refuses to let any part of this entire fight actually finish.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's already an entire classroom of characters who are incredibly underused that are supposed to be participating. so naturally, it's time to bring back a minor antagonist from a single short arc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But I don't care about the classroom of characters. I care about La Brava. :colbert:

Really, though, I think this would be less of a problem if the classes were just 10 or so kids.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Hori should've ditched the class completely. If he's not gonna treat them as characters, then don't get our hopes up for them to become characters.

The Joint Training should've been used to put these people's arcs to rest. You're already introducing RUBBER NEN to invalidate them all, so just give them one last showing before Deku abandons them forever for bigger things.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I care more about Gentle than 99% of the cast

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Giving everyone an individual moment at a max rate of what seems to one per chapter does kind of grind the entire story to a crawl. It also is just tiring. If every week I'm like "Oh look, it's that guy who turns people into meatballs, he got revenge for his Nazi dad or whatever", its just very who gives a poo poo.

I need them better spaced, but also you just can have, like, multiple characters having moments together (We got a hint at this with anivoice guy and tentacle man though anivoice guy isn't actually a character so that doesn't count). In a story with characters with goals and motivations, personalities and relationships, you should be able to construct circumstances and set pieces that allow multiple characters to shine and contribute at once. I mean, if the idea of teamwork wasn't antithetical to the themes of the story I suppose.

But I suppose, if you do those moments, it'd also be good to have those moments actually accomplish something that feels worthwhile. For example, Mirko in the hospital raid, when she fights real loving hard to finally moon kick shigaraki's pod is a moment I think works in this respect because she contributed to that fight by making sure it wasn't 100% shigaraki who came out at the time. But oooh big pistol shrimp laser or whatever the other useless poo poo everyone did while waiting for Goku to come back from the Royal Guard Corps and save everyone sucked.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Somehow I completely forgot about the shrimp laser. I still don't know what was up with that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a Big Hero Moment that accomplished absolutely nothing. that's the main theme of this arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gentle bouncing the entire floating UA platform would be pretty cool

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gentle embraces the dark side and makes Shigaraki and AFO's lungs rebound like a pair of doorstoppers

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fabricated posted:

Gentle bouncing the entire floating UA platform would be pretty cool

If they juiced him up with the power boosters from the Overhaul arc I bet he could.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I bet he could do it alone if he believed in himself.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
This is year 8 of MHA, where were series like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach at this far in? I started reading this series I think a year or two ago so it feels like a much shorter series to me but I definitely feel like Dragon Ball and One Piece were way further into the series 8 years in than MHA is now, which has made it what, a year and a half through school?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

This is year 8 of MHA, where were series like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach at this far in? I started reading this series I think a year or two ago so it feels like a much shorter series to me but I definitely feel like Dragon Ball and One Piece were way further into the series 8 years in than MHA is now, which has made it what, a year and a half through school?

End of Cell/Beginning of Buu, Beginning of Pain Arc, Water 7, Final Getsuga Tenshou

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tampa Bae posted:

Naruto chapter 377 is Jiraiya vs Pain
DBZ chapter 377 is Vegeta vs Semi-Perfect Cell
Bleach chapter 377 is Wonderweiss vs Kensei (Fake Karakura Town arc, part 2)
One Piece chapter 377 is Luffy walking through the front gate of Judicial Island

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

One Piece has warped my perception on how long Shounen Series are supposed to last.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Finishing in the mid 300s is almost ideal for a big long running shonen imo.

Glad most comics don't go as long as your One Pieces or Narutos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

naruto should've ended after pain anyway

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MHA is odd for a long-running shonen in that it never had a real time skip. I don't think Deku training in chapter 2 and a few months in between MVA and the war arc count. So I can see why it might feel that it hasn't been that long since the story started. Also everyone assumed it would last the full 3 years which you could have done if more time passed in between arcs and probably a real good time skip.

I think Bleach was way worse than this though. Almost 400 chapters and it's only been a month or two in-universe. I think Soul Society and Orihime Rescue/Karakura Town are couple days each.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 7, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every comic should aim to last as long as Sesame Street.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

I care more about Gentle than 99% of the cast

Same and that 1% is La Brava

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm glad MHA never had a proper timeskip because I've almost never seen it result in better designs

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Fabricated posted:

I'm glad MHA never had a proper timeskip because I've almost never seen it result in better designs

mustache vegeta

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheHan posted:

mustache vegeta
Dragonball is one of the series that has consistently bucked the trend of timeskip designs looking really bad, and that's with multiple time skips!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Dragonball is one of the series that has consistently bucked the trend of timeskip designs looking really bad, and that's with multiple time skips!

Most of them don't even change much outside of going from being a kid to being an adult. Occasionally someone will get a haircut too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yamcha is the only loser cause he looks better with long hair.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Let's just ignore GT (as well we should).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The anime has just gotten to the solo Deku arc and I kind of wish we had gotten more out of that specific arc because it was probably the most narratively interesting this has been in like two or three years I think