Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fallom posted:

Is that the same dude who brought it up out of nowhere and it turns out he was thinking of someone completely different
Not sure. But someone keeps coming in to threads, alleging that Clint used to be some level of bad person, then saying that associating with PUR "fixed" him. I've been watching the guy's videos for 8 years and he's never said anything all that edgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont think LGR has it in him to talk poo poo about anyone, honestly

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I skipped a page or two so I don't know what conclusions you all came to about ggmanlives but does he still recite every line of every review with the same inflection because that poo poo is poison all on its own

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont think LGR has it in him to talk poo poo about anyone, honestly

He's the best, and someday, I'm going to actually send him my boxed copy of Eternam :allears:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

THE BAR posted:

I got to his Wolf 3D video and it got me thinking... How many of you still play Wolfenstein, when Doom does everything it did, but better? My main issue is that exploration isn't that rewarding, as you can only carry 99 bullets and probably have to kill something on your detours. In Doom you can find exotic weapons and ammunition, which gives so much more to the explorative element. I probably do a yearly run of the first episode of Wolfenstein out of nostalgia, but skip the rest. It does have a much better sounding chaingun, but I don't think that's enough to carry it anymore!

I've tried on multiple occasions but tbh it's hard for me to sit and play wolf. The levels are incredibly maze-y and there's no verticality at all and unless you already know where the secrets are there's no way to tell which wall has one so you're just pounding at every square inch of the map. And maybe it's just me but bj moves so fast and combined with the same textures that stripe when you run often it can get kinda of nauseating to play. Then there's the meager amount of enemies at any given time and the low variety of weapons, etc etc

As an aside, I'm glad when people warn about gators being linked because i don't want to give any clicks to someone who hates me and people like me

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's "he's a gater or said some gater things before," and then there's "he's a poo poo and everything he does is lovely and I'm going to strongly imply that you're a poo poo too if you dare consume any of this person's content," which is where this thread went last time around.

Warnings: thanks for letting me know.
Personal judgements: please reserve.

LGR certainly appears to be as harmless as a garden gnome. His last video included a caveat that he wasn't sure where his channel was going and that he relies on 'our' input, so that's a bit concerning. Thing is, I figure the most suggesty, moneygiving fans aren't the folks to ask what to do, they're going to trend toward supporting him opening presents and shopping at Goodwill, which are fun bits, but I don't think it's where the heart of the guy's channel is. OTOH, nothing lasts forever, and there's a whole backlog of stuff of his I haven't watched yet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh man, I hope Clint doesn't stop :ohdear: He really is a fantastic reviewer/youtuber.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
For Wolf3D my go-to is Episode 5. The rest I find really tedious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like Wolf3d for nostalgic reasons, its literally the first x86 PC game I played, but yeah, Doom does everything better

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The first FPS I really played was RTCW, so I'm coming to most early titles after the fact and, yeah, Wolf3D's kind of the cutoff for me. I can appreciate its importance but I invariably put it down after the first few levels. That said, I had a great time with Shadow of the Woolball. :shrug:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Doom has less Nazis to shoot though. Thankfully there are mods for this.
I still enjoy playing Wolf3D from time to time though, especially these map packs people still make. Maybe because it's my first FPS and I have fond memories associated with it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Y'all need to understand that the story about LGR is not that he was a king mega shitlord but that he was just kind of a typical rear end in a top hat guy like a decade ago and then he grew up from that the way a lot of people don't, and is noticeably like kinder than a whole bunch of other people these days. And half of what people who remember him being a dick a long while ago wasn't even int he videos so much as in other places people were interacting with him.

It's like the Seanbaby paradigm, that guy has also done a ton of growing up and is a seriously good guy these days even though he was big ol rear end in the 2000s.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The reason I go back to wolf is that I'm a machine gun guy in FPS games, and it kind of gives me that '80s Arnold movie feeling of busting into a room and mowing down a bunch of dudes. The enemies mostly all go down kind of quickly which makes the machine gun gameplay feel really good whether I'm using the chaingun or SMG to clear out a room. It's why I'm one of the few people who likes turret sections. The level design though eventually does get me really bored after a while, though.

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Sikreci posted:

Project Warlock apparently stores its settings in the registry. :wtc:

Anyway, the key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Buckshot Software\Project Warlock, and it looks like there's some settings for setting the resolution, but I can't really try it since I'm on a 1080p display. Also in there appears to be all the variables for the state of the game, like which weapons and perks you have.

As far as the game looking kind of like rear end, I recommend turning the Threshold setting in graphics to 0. It crushes the blacks or something and looks like poop. So far this also seems to make the Light spell completely pointless.

It's super common in Unity games. Saving to playerprefs is quick and easy, and basically every tutorial you'll find for saving data in a unity game tells you to do it that way. It's unfortunate, but until it's removed from Unity you can expect a couple hundred more entries into your registry every time you play a new indie game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A year ago when I was experimenting with Unity I ran into a wall and eventually gave up over trying to figure out how to read and write arbitrary files from disk specifically to avoid having to use the default centralized storage. Good to know I'm not the only one.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Copper Vein posted:

I gave Project Warlock a shot, but I feel like punching out almost immediately due to technical shortcomings\decisions.

The game does not support resolutions above 1080 right now. It's insane to release a PC-only Unity game in 2018 where the resolution tops out where monitors were in 2013. It also is locked at 60fps and, maybe this is just me, it doesn't even look like its actually running at that framerate. The game feels slightly choppy for me. The bulk of the day-1 audience for this game are going to using 1440 120hz monitors, so releasing at 1080 60hz is a big misstep.

I'm not sure which year you're posting from, but in 2018 the bulk of PC gamers is absolutely not using anything above 1080. Steam's survey says you've got a whopping 4% of 1440 users and I doubt GOG numbers are significantly different.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Proud to be part of the 4%.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-ZCwFL-Ag

:stare:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I have it on good authority that ICARUSLIV3S is one of the Boys from Brazil.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mordja posted:

I have it on good authority that ICARUSLIV3S is one of the Boys from Brazil.

Oh I'm realizing I missed out on a lot of discussion that I need to catch up on to understand.

e: Oh Gggmanlives. I once made a snide comment on his Mirror's Edge review a long while back about him being upset that there's more than one notable woman in the story and I was getting death threats for weeks from his fans.

I think I posted some a long time ago in the IOSM thread as it happened.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 19, 2018

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

There is a Doom style lighting effect where it changes the brightness of the walls when you get closer, but it works in reverse. Wall textures are brighter from afar, but darken to the point of crushing out all detail as you approach.

This is really weird because I didn't really notice it until you pointed it out. It's like the player is permanently cloaked in shadows when you're not using the light spell and it sort of focuses your view to a medium distance away. It's an interesting design choice. Though what lighting affects your weapon sprites seems to be based on the sector you're in rather than what light exists around you, which is odd.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I wish you could swap or remove weapon upgrades in Warlock. It's cool that they're largely interesting and qualitative changes but I'm not a fan of them being irrevocable and mutually exclusive with the the upgrade you didn't choose. Some of them are side-grades or have drawbacks (like the SMG>Nailgun fires ricocheting projectiles that can damage the player) and some of the aesthetic changes are iffy (the flaregun is strong and efficient but its sound and effects feel kinda lame compared to the regular pistol). And since you can't save in Warlock once you choose an upgrade you're locked in to it for the rest of the playthrough.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Lilith is both really cool and really good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DonVincenzo posted:

For Wolf3D my go-to is Episode 5. The rest I find really tedious.

What is it about episode 5 that you like? I have to admit, I've only mainly played episode 1 and SoD, because I didn't own the full version back in the day.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really like Wolf3D, but it's hard to directly compare it to Doom. They have different game-feels. Doom is much easier to go back to again and again, it's got more variety in possible level layouts and gameplay, but Wolf3D has an elegant simplicity to it. Or at least, I enjoyed it enough to play Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny, the add-ons, and a bunch of mods.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

Lilith is both really cool and really good.

yeah if you haven't played through lilith you really should, it's pretty short

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Should... should I record it?

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What is it about episode 5 that you like? I have to admit, I've only mainly played episode 1 and SoD, because I didn't own the full version back in the day.

I like the level design in it, it doesn't feature any sprawling mega-maze it's all straightforward stuff, the secrets aren't too *secrety* and most of all there's a very interesting room on the 2nd level.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think I figured out the problem I was having with the synched strobe lighting. When you set up sectors with strobe lighting, you set the maximum lighting of the area, but you cannot set the minimum lighting. Instead the game chooses the minimum lighting from the surrounding area. This resulted in some of my sectors choosing a 0 lighting level from out of bounds parts of the map to produce the background lighting level.

I couldn't figure out a way to fix this, so I simply eliminated the complex strobe lighting from the room.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

And since you can't save in Warlock once you choose an upgrade you're locked in to it for the rest of the playthrough.

What the gently caress? Hard pass.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Think I'll wait for Warlock dev to smooth out its technical issues (even though I don't have a 1440 monitor) and maybe add a quicksave...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ToxicFrog posted:

The game auto saves every time you complete a level. There are no manual saves.

edit: There also is no reason to have manual saves because there's a lives system per level and the levels are really short (I think the longest level I've played through was 6 minutes).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

The levels are super, super short.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The lack of saves themselves aren't an issue except for the lack of being able to try out weapon upgrades and spells. It uses lives like in Turok and the levels are short so unless you're insanely bad at FPSes, like Polygon games journalist bad, it shouldn't be an issue that makes or breaks your decision to try the game out. I'm near the end of the third episode and over the whole time I've only died a couple couple times, all of which were in a boss fight.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How many levels per episode?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
12-ish levels per episode, separated into 4 themed areas of varying length and then one just for the boss. You go back to the hub after completing each themed area. If there are secret levels, I haven't found any yet.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Vitreous Rumor posted:

It's super common in Unity games. Saving to playerprefs is quick and easy, and basically every tutorial you'll find for saving data in a unity game tells you to do it that way. It's unfortunate, but until it's removed from Unity you can expect a couple hundred more entries into your registry every time you play a new indie game.

PlayerPrefs uses the registry?? Holy smokes, glad I am not using it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

And there's like 5 episodes?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes. Ish. There's a lot of video game to play for 12 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I was really unsure before about the art style of PW, but after watching your the video of your blind stream I had to buy it once I saw that it was only $12. Not very far into it, but it has been drat fun so far.

Performance seems to be abysmal for the intensity of the game, a 60 FPS cap doesn't help.

I really dislike the way end level doors suck you in if you are anywhere near. No prompt, no button to hit, just boom done with the level. Hope you were looking for secrets. Since the end level screen goes away with any key press I've gone from looking for secrets directly into the next level already...

A full sized automap would be amazing.

Still fun and the graphics look way better when you're playing it.