Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it saves money and although i prefer a physical dipstick, i highly doubt there's a higher rate of E90s having problems due to oil levels than say, E46s. keep in mind that you actually have to physically check the oil level with a dipstick. the failure point there is people not bothering to check oil level, which is distressingly common. for enthusiasts, worse. for the average customer, probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The average BMW owner doesn't check anything on their cars tho, taking away dipsticks from techs that actually take care of the cars isn't helping because they aren't gonna necessarily know when a sensor fails either unless it's throwing a code.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
To be honest, with a real dipstick I probably remember to check my oil level about once every few weeks. With the electronic one, it's checked every day. :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The average BMW owner doesn't check anything on their cars tho, taking away dipsticks from techs that actually take care of the cars isn't helping because they aren't gonna necessarily know when a sensor fails either unless it's throwing a code.

if the sensor indicates low oil, the driver is much more likely to take the car in for service versus with a dipstick where they have no idea that it's happening

i don't think the techs care that much. sensors are pretty reliable and it will throw a code if the sensor is inop. it's possible for the sensor to return false readings, but not very likely. nobody complains that there isn't a physical dipstick in the fuel tank; everyone seems to pretty well accept the performance of identical electronic sensors in that case.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's not 1985 any more. The overwhelming majority of modern engines aren't burning a quart of oil every thousand miles.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

fknlo posted:

It's not 1985 any more. The overwhelming majority of modern engines aren't burning a quart of oil every thousand miles.

Uhhh :raise:

https://bimmerlife.com/2019/06/01/updated-n63-v8-focus-of-new-oil-consumption-lawsuit/

quote:

SI B11 03 13 modified the oil-consumption specification for all BMW engines (excluding M units) as falling within factory parameters even with oil consumption as high as one quart per 750 miles driven.

With 5000-7500 mile changes the possibility of running your X5 out of oil if it’s not checked is pretty real. Subaru’s are bad too.

Manufacturers are reducing ring pressure and oil weight to get better fuel efficiency and the result is higher oil use.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

i own every Bionicle posted:

https://bimmerlife.com/2019/06/01/updated-n63-v8-focus-of-new-oil-consumption-lawsuit/

With 5000-7500 mile changes the possibility of running your X5 out of oil if it’s not checked is pretty real. Subaru’s are bad too.

Manufacturers are reducing ring pressure and oil weight to get better fuel efficiency and the result is higher oil use.

overwhelming majority, not all.

And it's saying something that BMW's notoriously lovely V8's are still in line with what was expected like 20 years ago tops.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i own every Bionicle posted:

this is probably an argument FOR including sensors not against.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if the sensor indicates low oil, the driver is much more likely to take the car in for service versus with a dipstick where they have no idea that it's happening

i don't think the techs care that much. sensors are pretty reliable and it will throw a code if the sensor is inop. it's possible for the sensor to return false readings, but not very likely. nobody complains that there isn't a physical dipstick in the fuel tank; everyone seems to pretty well accept the performance of identical electronic sensors in that case.

As usual, KG here with the right take. I have an electronic sensor and I agree :-)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dissss posted:

The Mk IV looks like a sports car inspired by a 1991 Camry. The Mk V looks like a sports car inspired by a 2017 Camry.

The A70 is the best looking one hands down.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Inner Light posted:

As usual, KG here with the right take. I have an electronic sensor and I agree :-)

I wonder how many people with per wheel TPMS readouts still regularly check their tires with a guage. I'm guilty of not doing so, I'll pull up the reading in the car while driving every few weeks to see if they're still balanced. I used to do the same thing for the oil when I had a BMW (it used a quart between changes so this was necessary)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just smh at people who don't check their tire pressures with a recently calibrated pressure gauge prior to driving and again after tire warming every day at least twice.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think a squirrel chewed through a wire in my engine bay because I keep getting a CEL for "oil pressure sender reading inconsistent"? Anyway I clear it but it still occasionally pops up if I floor it when the engine is cold. I just ignore it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would argue the dipstick is behind the wheel

:haw:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just smh at people who don't check their tire pressures with a recently calibrated pressure gauge prior to driving and again after tire warming every day at least twice.

I'll have you know I turn my car around in my driveway once an hour during the day so that the sun evenly heats both sets of tires so that pressure is equalized.

What, that's not necessary if you aren't going out that day? Ohhhhhh, but you would be wrong, since the pressure is higher on one side it's going to end up with more long term pressure loss on that side.

I have to admit though I'm slacking in only checking my tire depth once a week. I'm sure one of these days the imbalance in wear that I didn't catch and correct with rotation is going to cause me some trouble, but I can't spend ALL of my time on the tires.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Frond posted:

The A70 is the best looking one hands down.

I have an A70 and do not agree. The A60 is the best looking Supra.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Poor Exhibit B. :sigh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Poor Exhibit B. :sigh:

I really don't know why AI gets so het up about slammed cars, it's like a 30 minute operation to fix it if it were yours :v:

I'm just jealous Japan has roads that are so glass perfect you can get away with having a car that low.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I really don't know why AI gets so het up about slammed cars

Because its just plain dangerous / dumb and they end up taking way longer that 30 mins to fix

Also looks like that fuckwit driving the black car is on his phone while on a racetrack. Well aint that just the icing on a stupidity cake

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Porsche, Mercedes and Audi (off the top of my head) did away with the dipstick quite some time ago as well. It's not uncommon.

My F-Type doesn't have a dipstick so you can probably add all newer Jaguars to that list.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mid engine/rear engine design is a decent excuse for no dipstick.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I really don't know why AI gets so het up about slammed cars, it's like a 30 minute operation to fix it if it were yours :v:

I'm just jealous Japan has roads that are so glass perfect you can get away with having a car that low.

Because it looks terrible.

And in this case:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also looks like that fuckwit driving the black car is on his phone while on a racetrack. Well aint that just the icing on a stupidity cake

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Chiming in to reiterate that very few things give me as much anxiety as changing the oil on my 991.1. The combination of no dipstick & having to run the engine a full 15 minutes after an oil change to find out if you hosed up is needlessly nerve-racking

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

This car just looks broke

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Because its just plain dangerous / dumb and they end up taking way longer that 30 mins to fix

I know lol at 30 minutes, swapping out the springs in struts is a royal PITA, even if you had complete struts ready to go it's still gonna take a good amount of time.

[e] can also confirm Japanese roads are perfect it's like heaven for auto enthusiasts

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

I know lol at 30 minutes, swapping out the springs in struts is a royal PITA, even if you had complete struts ready to go it's still gonna take a good amount of time.

[e] can also confirm Japanese roads are perfect it's like heaven for auto enthusiasts

It is like 30-45 minutes if they are height adjustable coilovers. Which is what most people with static slammed cars are running.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah lovely ebay coilovers is what most people are running so to fix it the point still stands

odds of a high dollar good quality coil over worth keeping being on a slammed car are slim to none

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Coilovers, which most lowered cars have will literally let you lower the car to the point where you can't actually move it for having the chassis on the ground. I installed mine in like 2 hours tops. Adjusting them isn't hard like :lol: what subforum am I even in right now?!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You didn't say "adjust coilovers" you said "fix it if it were yours"

If it were mine I would replace the lovely coilovers :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You didn't say "adjust coilovers" you said "fix it if it were yours"

If it were mine I would replace the lovely coilovers :v:

Excuse me for assuming some level of knowledge on cars here in the car subforum. :v:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Exhibit A:

:hai:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Excuse me for assuming some level of knowledge on cars here in the car subforum. :v:

Well I know enough about slammed cars that I probably wouldn't want whatever after market garbage was on it. If I got an A60 that was slammed I would return it to stock.

Just my personal preference and that's how I would "fix" it if it were my car, and that's not a 30 minute job :shrug:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Different people enjoy cars differently.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqwm9na8gRc

Have a bunch of overwrought video editing of the 2021 Supra.

Love that it's such a huge 'gently caress you' to all the buyers of the first year model lol

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The one slammed car where I've seen pictures of the interior it would not be 30 minute job to fix. The wheel wells were cut off and control arms were replaced with lovely DIY jobs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kill me now posted:

It is like 30-45 minutes if they are height adjustable coilovers. Which is what most people with static slammed cars are running.

Slammed cars are not just a coilover change to fix. Slammed cars almost always have scrapes and underbody damage.

Saukkis posted:

The one slammed car where I've seen pictures of the interior it would not be 30 minute job to fix. The wheel wells were cut off and control arms were replaced with lovely DIY jobs.

Absolutly this. DIY frame notching so the steering doesn't foul, fenders cut ..... I know exactly what it takes to slam a Subaru (anda number of other cars) and oooooh boy it is not a 30 minute reversal.

Russian Bear posted:

Different people enjoy cars differently.

Thats fine, dont make them rolling road hazards.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ford is launching the new Bronco on July 9th, O.J. Simpson's birthday.

:eyepop:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

That's...remarkable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'm honestly not sure what to make of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

borkencode posted:

Calling it now, because we live in the worst timeline: new bronco commercials staring OJ.

Nothing has yet dissuaded me of this idea.