Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
galenanorth
May 19, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm shocked that people are actually trying to argue against the idea that americans/brits simply don't want to do farm work unless it pays extremely well because farm labor is poo poo and destroys your body

mechanization and automation is going to transform agriculture long long before the industry pays laborers enough money to attract americans away from cubicle farms

It's just hard for me to reconcile Amazon warehouses constantly being in the news for having 50% turnover (they set a standard rate using their barcode scanners such that 50% of employees will be fired within a month or so) with exhausting shifts and people working there for years complaining about it their ankle bones getting worn out ...

with the idea that Americans won't also want to work a job that is more physically exhausting but pays a lot more than working at Amazon ($13/hr).

Dairy Days posted:

they could just, you know, pay more
that would be too greedy though i guess
i'm the implication mechanization hasn't already totally transformed agriculture

also, what Dairy Days said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I can't get this whole tweet chain to display, but seriously, check out the first reply and Trump's pissy fit afterward.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/881265792700035073

https://twitter.com/acitrano/status/881266171542085633

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTumpr/status/881266365084073985

This is real life

low IQ pook good mook spreading fake news!!!

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is real life

Imagine telling people that you internet argued with the President Of The United States and nobody would even bat an eye

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Yinlock posted:

its called conservatism

no its called alcoholism

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ekster posted:

i remember reading about the similarities between park geun-hye, daughter of dictator daddy who was assassinated, and trump who also campaigned on mythical nostalgia (in south korea's case a time where they had strong economic growth but zero civil rights and could literally be tortured to death) and the same amazement by non-conservative koreans at her electoral success

from what i read she was deeply unpopular with anyone outside of her constituency, however the thing that broke support with that group was simply that after it turned out she was a massive cuck of her crazy cult friend she couldn't maintain her 'tough' image

she was still smarter and more competent than trump lmao
Both her parents were assassinated which you'd think would immediately disqualify someone from office due to bad omens but whatever I guess

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

president of the united states of america engaging in an argumentative pissing match (ha!) with a random guy on the internet

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

this is extremely my satire

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lastgirl posted:

no its called alcoholism

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lastgirl posted:

no its called alcoholism

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/881161169469403137

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

destroy the insurance industries

how many millenials do we have standing by for this?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol this dumb motherfucker is gonna be tweeting all weekend

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

yeah that's a parody tweet, but also consider the critical thinking skills of chuds who won't tell the difference between the two

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Lastgirl posted:

how many millenials do we have standing by for this?

Entitled Snowflake, standing by

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Nonsense posted:

destroy the insurance industries

this is really the best way to sell it to conservatives

everyone fuckin hates insurance companies

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

farm workers could (and should) be paid a wage commensurate to their labor and physical toll it takes

they won't be, because there's a huge surplus of immigrants, transients, and illegals who will do the work for less than citizens will ask for. even if some farms hire only citizens and pay them fair wages and pass on the difference in price increases on the crops, they will be outbid by other farms that don't and thusly have cheaper crops

because of trump/brexit, this labor pool abruptly dried up, and we are headed towards a big food crisis this autumn due to lack of people to handle the coming harvest, because the farming industry isn't responding quickly enough to the shift in labor. even if they suddenly start paying $20 or $25/hour or whatever it takes to attract citizens, these people will be inexperienced and inefficient for at least a couple growing seasons. either way food prices are going to go up and that's going to be something the general population will immediately notice

in conclusion capitalism is bad and nationalism is bad

galenanorth posted:

It's just hard for me to reconcile Amazon warehouses constantly being in the news for having 50% turnover (they set a standard rate using their barcode scanners such that 50% of employees will be fired within a month or so) with exhausting shifts and people working there for years complaining about it their ankle bones getting worn out ...

with the idea that Americans won't also want to work a job that is more physically exhausting but pays a lot more than working at Amazon ($13/hr).

a few reasons I can think of: warehouses are much more accessible to people living in urban areas than farmland is, they're not constantly in the sun, the work is more-or-less year-round (with spikes around christmas)

i'm sure that's not the whole story though

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Intel&Sebastian posted:

when you think about it, the Declaration of Independence was just a lot of dumb tweets to @KingGeorge3

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kmbc/status/881274500523872258

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

after his presidency im going to write a biography on trump consisting of nothing but his entire twitter history

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/267286284182118400

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

normally Saturdays are low-energy tweet days for him too, we might get some fun poo poo tomorrow... though if he isn't talking about Mika's bloody face I don't know how it could get more entertaining than what we got this week

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I thought the rural white person was an industrious and hard working one willing to do whatever it takes to stay clean, off the dole, and support their family?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Chunky Salsa posted:

Rogue Recidivist standing by cos I ain't got a job *pulls up anarky bandana*

Joementum posted:

when you think about it, the Declaration of Independence was just a lot of dumb tweets to @KingGeorge3

:thunk:

huh, how about that

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chunky Salsa posted:

avocado toast, standing by

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

twitter promises unprecedented freedom of communication and 2-way interaction, even with your detractors. What a beautiful age we live in

https://twitter.com/SheWhoVotes/status/880624451074707456

https://twitter.com/SheWhoVotes/status/880628542731542529

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
someone post a picture of trump but as a minion thanks

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

reminder that even ivanka tells trump that his twitter habits are retarded

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer