Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

He also took a two week break over the summer because he was feeling exhausted. He should have taken a longer one or went down to one video a week for a while.

Is YouTube his full time job? I feel like that goes one of two ways. Either you become a pewdiepie-esque mega youtuber and you’re rich enough to not care about it and just do it for fun, or you aren’t, and you grind yourself to death and burn out because you have to make rent and buy food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Negrostrike posted:

Wtf there was a Doom before Doom 2016??

This would make more sense if boa let you know in any way that there was a previous wolfendoom

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Any advice on getting FEAR 1 working in Windows 10?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Casimir Radon posted:

Windows 10 pro here and I don't remember having any issues getting Fear running without any tinkering. There's a config exe in the directory if you want to set your resolution before playing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Works flawlessly. If you get the "logitech bug" (some fps stuttering) there's an easy fix: https://www.gog.com/forum/fear_series/fear_fps_fix

To complement Ularg's tip, set all the advanced video options ingame, exit and set the resolution via that config file because for some reason, ingame resolution tends to be reset to a 4:3 aspect ratio one then do not enter video options again. This has been something that happened to me since late XP days.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Clint just does LGR as his day job for quite a while now. Years ago before he switched he said he did custom framing for some chain. He's made a few comments over the last year about feeling kind of isolated and exhausted. So I kind of worry once in a while.

Guillermus posted:

Works flawlessly. If you get the "logitech bug" (some fps stuttering) there's an easy fix: https://www.gog.com/forum/fear_series/fear_fps_fix

To complement Ularg's tip, set all the advanced video options ingame, exit and set the resolution via that config file because for some reason, ingame resolution tends to be reset to a 4:3 aspect ratio one then do not enter video options again. This has been something that happened to me since late XP days.
My issue is with the Steam version. I got it to load up the first time but it crashed when it tried to automatically get graphics settings. So I set the resolution in the config and now am just getting a blacked out 4:3 square.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so is project warlock worth it then? i figure if anyone would know, it would be you dudes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some Project Warlock impressions.

It's a flawed game. From what I've played:

-It doesn't support standard Windows resolutions. They are hardcoded, and the biggest one is 1080p.
-The performance isn't perfect, which what I would expect from a game of this type. It's 60 fps, but there are some less smooth moments.
-The minimap is horrible. Doom already did it better in 1993. Exactly, it isn't an 'automap' like in Doom which draws the visited areas, its' already all there, so you can't know to where you should advance, nor it shows the doors. And I'm in the early levels and the maps are already labyrinthine.
-The game is strangely retro. Too much, imo. What am I talking about? Well, the game seems to take inspiration from Wolf3d, almost more than from Doom or Heretic. Maps are totally orthogonal, and mostly dull. Again, when a 1993 had more advancing mapping than your game... that's retro for retro's sake, it doesn't enhance the gameplay. Well, I can imagine it made his map design much easier for the dev.
-The game can be somewhat ugly. The mix of retro maps with repetitive textures and pixel art, and on top of that having 'modern' effects like bloom, reflections some f/x like fire that look from a game 10 years newer, it all makes it look incoherent and a bit a mess.
-Map design, apart from being dull given the excess of square rooms and square corridors, abuse of narrow corridors that hurt the gameplay. It also has some dark levels that are put there I guess so the light spell isn't worthless. The problem is that it hurts the pace of the game, he should have removed the drat spell and make the game play better.
-Of course the save system can die in a fire.
-Somehow people try to do thing differently from the classic, and it always bite them in the back. They don't have a sprint key, they have a 'always run' button toggle. Doom solution was better.
-Sound mixing could be improved, ghouls growl for example is too low, it can be hard to notice they are at your back.
-Weapon priority could improve. When you spent all the ammo of a weapon, you automatically switch to the dagger, the weakest weapon, despite having several weapons with ammunition. It's pretty funny as a minimum it could switch to the other melee weapon, the axe, which packs a punch.
-The game isn't very hard, I finished the first world and the first level of the second world without dying once, at medium difficulty. Maybe I should have picked the Hard difficulty.

What it does well?
-Weapons: It has a nice variety thanks to the mix of magic and firearms, they have good gunplay. Upgrades are cool for replayability..
-Enemies are well animated, better than many games from the 90s.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 20, 2018

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Casimir Radon posted:

My issue is with the Steam version. I got it to load up the first time but it crashed when it tried to automatically get graphics settings. So I set the resolution in the config and now am just getting a blacked out 4:3 square.

On the subject of FEAR, anyone have a permanent fix for a different issue? I wanted to give Perseus Mandate a playthrough not too long ago but eventually I reached a point where just every other map load attempt would fail with some "disconnected from server" error and then the game would crash when I tried to close it. When it started happening it wasn't too bad, even when it was happening every other map-load I could still restart the game, reload a save from right before a transition, move on, then save on the new map, but then it eventually reached the point where if I had to load anything at all after getting onto that one map - even a checkpoint in the very same map if I got killed - would cause the same issue.

Trying to look up what the issue even was again (it's been a little while since I've bothered trying) mentions a Force Restart option for the graphics that apparently works pretty well, anyone have any experience with that?

Also on the subject of Monolith games I need to get around to doing something for Blood II, we're a month away from its 20th anniversary and I feel like I'm the only living organism who has the will to still give a poo poo about that specific game anymore.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I just finished FEAR 1 recently and moved straight on to FEAR 2 and IMO 1 kicks the everloving poo poo out of 2.

Weapons in 1 felt better, the shotgun was Doom 2 SS levels awesome whereas the shotguns in 2 feel crap at any range. AI in 2 is annoying af, especially as they routinely instantly hit me as I pop out of cover even when they don't know where I am, having their shots go through corners and walls annoyingly often. Hitboxes for heads on enemies in 2 are fucky, which makes weapons like the nailgun go from awesome to lovely.

Plus the whole enemies are scared of how badass you are seems way off in 2. I pop around a corner where an enemy doesn't know where I am, he shoots and hits me in less than half a second, and before I can get my sights up he yells "Heeeeeee's tooooooo faaaaaassst". Nah, man, I wasn't. You were.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I'm pretty sure my most common cause of death in FEAR 2 was enemies spraying their guns wildly in their death animations. I've yet to play F3AR, but people saying that it plays nothing like the first two is actually encouraging because I'd rather that than another awful bastardization of 1's gameplay.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I need to find a way to get a copy of FEAR 1 on Steam that's not that absurd mega-collection, especially since I already have all the other games. I have it on disc, but my new computer doesn't have a disc drive. Though I suppose I could buy an external one.

Also, it's loving weird that they removed Reborn from sale (outside that mega-collection). But on the other hand gently caress Reborn.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

catlord posted:

I need to find a way to get a copy of FEAR 1 on Steam that's not that absurd mega-collection, especially since I already have all the other games. I have it on disc, but my new computer doesn't have a disc drive. Though I suppose I could buy an external one.

Also, it's loving weird that they removed Reborn from sale (outside that mega-collection). But on the other hand gently caress Reborn.

Honestly, just get it on GOG.com, there's no point getting it on Steam as there's no achievements and multiplayer was shut down a long time ago.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got F.E.A.R working. I guess it just needed to fail on load a couple. Now it's running great.

Speaking of LGR, I'm willing to bet he's got a 20 year Half Life retrospective cooked up for next month.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool, just in time for HL3's release.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Or a Black Mesa release :v:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I remember buying FEAR at full price since I thought it was going to spawn the next generation of multiplayer mods.

In the end I don' think there was a single mod released for it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Vakal posted:

I remember buying FEAR at full price since I thought it was going to spawn the next generation of multiplayer mods.

In the end I don' think there was a single mod released for it.

There was a co-op mod released that was done well, bit the maps were kinda lovely slaughterfests. That was the only mod I ever saw.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

catlord posted:

Just get GOG release as wafflemoose suggests. It gets dirt cheap and is portable on top.

wafflemoose posted:

Honestly, just get it on GOG.com, there's no point getting it on Steam as there's no achievements and multiplayer was shut down a long time ago.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Some Project Warlock impressions.

It's a flawed game. From what I've played:

(continuing)

-Another annoyances I found is a strange effect where things are darker when you get closer to them, as unintuitive as it sounds. And speaking of darkness, I had to increase the brightness to maximum to play the drat game in some of the Egypt levels, whyyy he thought that was a good choice, ffs.
-The game is on the easy side, until the fourth world I hadn’t any problems. Which is also strange, you would think this type of game is designed for old school shooter fans, veterans at this point.
-And of course, the game doesn’t allow to change difficulty in any way whatsoever. Yay.
-Although even if I could change it, I’m not sure if I would do it, the hardcore difficulty sounds horrible: single life permadeath, double damage received, faster monsters. That’s going to the other extreme of difficulty.
-And you can’t have several profiles/games in progress, ‘new game’ options overwrites the current one.

Man, it’s a pity the game isn’t better in other areas, as it makes a good job with the weapons. Some of them are pretty sick.
Also, it has a good variety with five different worlds (Antartica, Ancient Egypt, hightech city, etc), and each one has unique enemy set!

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Project Warlock has some really satisfying core gameplay and gunplay. The rest of it, especially the technical aspects, have a lot of issues. But hopefully those get fixed because what's buried underneath is a blast.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Bushmaori posted:

Hitboxes for heads on enemies in 2 are fucky, which makes weapons like the nailgun go from awesome to lovely.

Nah, the nailgun goes from awesome to lovely on its own merits - it stops showing up outside the back half of one level and it's drastically less accurate, where you can be aiming from a crouch, fire, and still see the nail clearly hit somewhere far off the mark from where that green dot on its spiffy new sight says it should go.

I do legitimately enjoy FEAR 2, but it definitely has a lot of problems that FEAR 1 didn't. I agree on the point about the shotguns, I remember the distinct sense of disappointment when I most recently replayed and tried to use the pump-action one and I required two shells to down someone even at close range - understandable given the time period, when CoD with its pathetic shotguns was just becoming the Big Thing™ everyone emulated, but still absolutely unacceptable from the follow-up to the game where I could try the same thing with its shotgun and a single shell would tear motherfuckers in half. The nailgun is worse for the reasons I gave above, it went from a precision weapon that could still be used decently in close-quarters for half the game to a purely close-range sprayer that was a gimmick weapon for half of one level before you had to drop it for the lovely laser weapon that aimed away from the center of the screen in the next level. Hell, outside of the new sniper rifle all of the guns are inaccurate - and there's no analogue to the ASP rifle in the singleplayer (it showed up in the multiplayer that everybody stopped playing even before GameSpy went down), so there's no real middle ground in the range your weapons are meant to be good at between the pinpoint long-range accuracy of the sniper rifle and the close-range spraying of everything else that fires bullets or anything else non-explosive.

Even the things that are cool often have their own issues, foremost in my mind being that whenever you get a mech to rampage around the city in that's all fun and cool but then you hop out and your weapons are rearranged for no goddamned reason. And, for some reason, you can't just drop weapons anymore, so unless you're an unreasonable person who dedicates half of their weapon slots to gimmick weapons that they stopped getting ammo for three levels ago, you have to fight to get a weapon you don't have so you can juggle everything around and put them back where you want.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

FEAR 2 also had what felt like a weird cutoff for when the kick would stop registering. Like if there was an eighth of a second more in that animation where it could do damage, it wouldn't feel weird.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Just get GOG release as wafflemoose suggests. It gets dirt cheap and is portable on top.

I just like my franchises all neatly collected together. :(

I did find the big bundle on Fanatical for $5, so I got that. Here's the extra keys, replace asterisks with 'Y,' let me know if you grab them.

FEAR 2
Grabbed

Reborn
Grabbed

FEAR 3
Grabbed

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 22, 2018

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

catlord posted:

I did find the big bundle on Fanatical for $5, so I got that. Here's the extra keys, replace asterisks with 'Y,' let me know if you grab them.

FEAR 2
RZ2AX-TAV*0-J2QJI

Reborn
BKQDC-K*ZH5-F3I9I

FEAR 3
B8JEZ-25JRV-*98HG

I took Fear 3. Thanks a lot friend!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

catlord posted:

FEAR 2
RZ2AX-TAV*0-J2QJI

Reborn
BKQDC-K*ZH5-F3I9I

FEAR 3
Grabbed

I took Fear 2, I love you!

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

catlord posted:

FEAR 2
RZ2AX-TAV*0-J2QJI

Reborn
BKQDC-K*ZH5-F3I9I

FEAR 3
Grabbed

And I took Reborn, thank you very much!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Excellent, hope you enjoy them!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I beat Project: Warlock about an hour ago and, as before, I generally had a lot of fun. There are a lot of positive parts of the game, but plenty of faults to back it up.

The guns feel good, most . Some weapons feel really overpowered.

The game is piss easy on Normal difficulty. This wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the absolutely stupid rules of Hardcore mode. The game really needs something like Ultra Violence to really shine.
A lot of your arsenal and abilities seem superfluous. By the end of the game a bunch of things could have the exact same use if you chose the wrong upgrades. I could have easily beaten the entire last chapter with only the no spin-up minigun, hitscan rocket launcher, and 2-shot fire pellet SSG they are so ridiculous.

The only spells I ever used were the annoyingly necessary light spell and the ammo summoning spell. The game already throws ammo at you, so the ammo summoning was really just to allow more missile spam.

But it was a bunch of fun to blast through, so I'd say it's well worth the $12 admission price.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Shoehead posted:

For anyone playing Project Warlock, if you want to replay a level you can from the main menu (that really should be an option at the mission computer but whatever), thing is you start the level with all your gear and levels from the main game, so if you want to go back and grab secrets or grind a bit you can.

In the current version, there's a bug in the second Graveyard level where the switch that opens the secret near the start of the map (and triggers "secret found" when you throw it) can be switched endlessly, awarding XP each time.

I sat there hammering spacebar until I hit level 35, with 35 stat points to spend, and then promptly quit the game because it's already easy enough as is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A middle ground difficulty between hardcore and standard would be nice, yeah.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I haven't tried it, but hardcore actually sounds like it'd be quite good if it weren't for permadeath coupled with the autosave system. At least it provides some incentive for searching out secrets with bonus lives.

My real issue with the game is how it seems to have Strafe syndrome, where enemies simply beeline directly toward you on sight, occasionally shooting at you if they have the ability to do so. There's no interesting enemy behavior (that I've seen halfway through the first episode), and the game somehow *feels* like a roguelike despite having virtually no roguelike mechanics. That is to say, it feels about as inspired as something proc-gen'd.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

treat posted:

I haven't tried it, but hardcore actually sounds like it'd be quite good if it weren't for permadeath coupled with the autosave system. At least it provides some incentive for searching out secrets with bonus lives.

My real issue with the game is how it seems to have Strafe syndrome, where enemies simply beeline directly toward you on sight, occasionally shooting at you if they have the ability to do so. There's no interesting enemy behavior (that I've seen halfway through the first episode), and the game somehow *feels* like a roguelike despite having virtually no roguelike mechanics. That is to say, it feels about as inspired as something proc-gen'd.

I'm pretty sure bonus lives are taken out of the game on Hardcore.

The level design gets much more interesting as you get further into the game. The first episode definitely felt like Wolf3D quality maps.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

BaconCopter posted:

I'm pretty sure bonus lives are taken out of the game on Hardcore.

Well, gently caress me. I was actually going to start over again on Hardcore, but not now. Game definitely needs a UV difficulty.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

F.E.A.R is fun so far.

Do you suppose this is accurate or is it modern hardware throwing it off?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Casimir Radon posted:

F.E.A.R is fun so far.

I get similar results on my GTX770 at 1080p and I love that my now-midrange computer can handle these older games flawlessly. I remember not being able to get over 5 fps back when it first came out. Also had to beat HL2 with around a 10 fps average on lowest settings, those were dark times

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Casimir Radon posted:

F.E.A.R is fun so far.

It's almost certainly accurate, FEAR is one of the best optimized games I think I've ever seen.

edit: One of the two expansions runs like absolute poo poo for me on modern hardware though for some reason, we're talking 25-ish fps no matter what I do if I look in a certain direction. Which is weird.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
posting this in here because GOG is pretty near and dear to our hearts for saving a lot of games at this point but

https://twitter.com/Angry_Gr0bi/status/1054495164809596934

the GOG/CDPR social media team needs to be loving sacked yesterday. this is disgusting.

ETPC fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 23, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
someone really needs to teach twitter PR accounts the concept of reading the room

edit: and it is real, for anyone who might doubt its validity for whatever reason

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

HolyKrap posted:

I get similar results on my GTX770 at 1080p and I love that my now-midrange computer can handle these older games flawlessly. I remember not being able to get over 5 fps back when it first came out. Also had to beat HL2 with around a 10 fps average on lowest settings, those were dark times
The lovely Optiplex we had when it came out turned the game into a slideshow the first time shooting started. Just surprised how my 9 year old desktop runs it now.