Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

boneration posted:

Oh is that necessary to get things rolling? I've had a few Anomaly-scented events so far without touching it (dude with some kind of tentacle arm and a deadlife infestation, the shambler thing) so I assumed it was already happening. I will go touch the monolith now.

I don't know, but probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
av/name post combo

see you on the other side

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Under the Anomoly tab there should be a capture point or whatever it's called. You can build one like a floor-based pawn or pet sleeping spot or a crafting spit. Just slap it down for free anywhere, no pawn building required. With one of those empty right clicking a downed horror should give the option to capture. I don't think it has to be discovered or opened up by touching the monolith but that was the first thing I did since it was going to wake up on its own anyway so maybe it does need that as a trigger?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

bird food bathtub posted:

Under the Anomoly tab there should be a capture point or whatever it's called. You can build one like a floor-based pawn or pet sleeping spot or a crafting spit. Just slap it down for free anywhere, no pawn building required. With one of those empty right clicking a downed horror should give the option to capture. I don't think it has to be discovered or opened up by touching the monolith but that was the first thing I did since it was going to wake up on its own anyway so maybe it does need that as a trigger?

The Anomaly tab is blanked out and says Nothing is currently buildable in category: Anomaly. This hasn't changed since I sent someone to investigate the monolith.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
he hasnt licked the spoopy stone yet

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

boneration posted:

The Anomaly tab is blanked out and says Nothing is currently buildable in category: Anomaly. This hasn't changed since I sent someone to investigate the monolith.

Have you done any anomaly research? It's in a separate tab from the regular research. There should be a check box when you select the monolith to allow you to study it, which gives you the anomaly research points you need for the anomaly projects.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Gadzuko posted:

Have you done any anomaly research? It's in a separate tab from the regular research. There should be a check box when you select the monolith to allow you to study it, which gives you the anomaly research points you need for the anomaly projects.

I've investigated it twice now and nothing's changed. The Anomaly tab in research is blank and says This category of research has not been discovered. I have my researcher set to Dark Research priority one but the only option the monolith gives me is Investigate. There's no study option.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

boneration posted:

I've investigated it twice now and nothing's changed. The Anomaly tab in research is blank and says This category of research has not been discovered. I have my researcher set to Dark Research priority one but the only option the monolith gives me is Investigate. There's no study option.

To activate the Anomaly research tree you need to activate the monolith by investigating it.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Jack Trades posted:

To activate the Anomaly research tree you need to activate the monolith by investigating it.

boneration posted:

I've investigated it twice now and nothing's changed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The eldritch powers aren't making protecting this drat building easy

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

boneration posted:

What happens when you investigate the monolith? There should be a big pulsing aura around it and the appearance should change afterward. If nothing is happening you probably have a mod conflict or something.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gadzuko posted:

What happens when you investigate the monolith? There should be a big pulsing aura around it and the appearance should change afterward. If nothing is happening you probably have a mod conflict or something.

this. some poo poo should happen after you lick the spooky

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah I gave in to looking at the wiki (didn't want spoilers) and it looks like it should have changed shape after investigating it. Unless you need to investigate more than twice to get it to change?

fake edit: I just delisted all my mods and made a vanilla game, it took four or five investigations but the thing changed. Is that how it's meant to be, it takes a few investigations?

VVV Hmm maybe I was unclear. I had to "keep focusing on the monolith" a few times. Does that sound right?

e: just made a new, new vanilla game and this time it only took one iteration of "keep focusing on the monolith". Varies with something? Psychic sensitivity maybe?

boneration fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 13, 2024

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
No, you investigate it once and it activates. You get a pop-up asking if you for sure want to investigate it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I accepted some mysterious cargo which wound up being a never rotting dead body of a current colonist. Okay, cool, we can study it... oh no, it's coming to life! It's going to hunt down the colonist and kill them! But wait, the colonist is currently in a biosculptor pod, so the now alive-ish anomaly body which has an insane move speed and massive regeneration is... punching the biosculptor pod while the fire team is filling it full of bullets and the top construction pawn is occasionally patching up the biosculptor pod. Colonist exits biosculptor pod to wonder why there are so many shell casings in the biosculptor room.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

boneration posted:

Yeah I gave in to looking at the wiki (didn't want spoilers) and it looks like it should have changed shape after investigating it. Unless you need to investigate more than twice to get it to change?

fake edit: I just delisted all my mods and made a vanilla game, it took four or five investigations but the thing changed. Is that how it's meant to be, it takes a few investigations?

VVV Hmm maybe I was unclear. I had to "keep focusing on the monolith" a few times. Does that sound right?

e: just made a new, new vanilla game and this time it only took one iteration of "keep focusing on the monolith". Varies with something? Psychic sensitivity maybe?

It's actually not investigating it to start. You need to awaken it.

Left click on the monolith and one of the abilities in the bottom bar will be either "attune" or "awaken" (I can't recall which). Click that then one of your pawns, doesn't matter who. Then it goes all funky and the research tree unlocks.

Omce it's unlocked the investigation commands you're doing atm will start feeding research points towards a selected Anomoly research.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Broken Cog posted:

The eldritch powers aren't making protecting this drat building easy

That looks like grain, try using one of those anti-grain warheads in a mortar. That should take care of it.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
If you are worried about fleshmass breaking down doors, putting graves in front of them prevents the spread.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

boneration posted:

Okay I am having the big dumb and can't figure out how to capture things. I only just started playing with Anomaly the other day.

I started a tribal run and got the shambler walking in, got lucky and broke off one of its legs. Now how can I capture it? The option isn't there on the right click and the Anomaly tab on the build menu is inaccessible. Apparently there's a holding spot that doesn't require research but I can't find it anywhere on the build menu.

I feel like I'm missing a step in the bootstrapping process here.

The holding spot is in the bottom left of the build menu, where it has all the categories like "furniture" "production" "misc", etc. - there's one called "anomaly" and it should be in there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Medical skill 8 doctor(Not the best, but I didn't catch it was him rather than my best doctor doing it), medical bed with vitals analyzer. What are the odds of this happening again?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
New arm, right? OK so first thing lemme just stab at your crotch for a bit...

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leal posted:

New arm, right? OK so first thing lemme just stab at your crotch for a bit...

you mean you *don't* want a third arm bolted onto your taint?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Broken Cog posted:

Medical skill 8 doctor(Not the best, but I didn't catch it was him rather than my best doctor doing it), medical bed with vitals analyzer. What are the odds of this happening again?

Base game has a minimum failure percent regardless of skill level, beyond that, skill 15 is when you get maximum base chance to succeed at 100% manipulation.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I tried to type out a reply but instead I’ve cut off my right leg and slashed the gently caress out of my left arm, torso, and face.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
you know, at a certain point, even if you fail it should at least minimize negative consequences

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is a world where ancient malevolent machines decided to make vampires, all activities explicitly have some chance of getting hosed up because a robot somewhere in space thought it'd be funny

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah i mean if you get mechanites maybe, but if you're a professional doc and fail you should just have to redo it with some loss of meds and maybe minor brain scarring

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

silentsnack posted:

you mean you *don't* want a third arm bolted onto your taint?

Prehensile penis.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, these shambler assaults are no joke. 92 shamblers attacked from all directions just as a bunch of my colonists got the plague.

They eat through walls too, so can't pull them through a killbox.

Edit: And now there's rot stink absolutely everywhere in my base while everyone recovers.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 14, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Broken Cog posted:

They eat through walls too

Maybe you shouldn't build your walls out of flesh! :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

isndl posted:

Maybe you shouldn't build your walls out of flesh! :v:

Oh I assure you, these guys have found a taste for limestone

Honestly though, I like the assault event. Really feels like you're fending off a zombie horde.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I wound up building a funnel for all the melee threats. When chimeras or shamblers show up, my squad falls back through a one tile hallway to a space where three melee guys can hold enemies back while being supported by shooters and psycasters behind them. Plasma swords are really good here provided you dont turn your panic room into an air fryer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

worm girl posted:

I wound up building a funnel for all the melee threats. When chimeras or shamblers show up, my squad falls back through a one tile hallway to a space where three melee guys can hold enemies back while being supported by shooters and psycasters behind them. Plasma swords are really good here provided you dont turn your panic room into an air fryer.

Does this work for the shambler assault though? Because unless you're living in a mountain with only one entrance, they're going to be clawing their way in from all directions.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

worm girl posted:

I sincerely hope you genemodded all your pawns to be fireproof. Flaming shamblers are worse than non-flaming shamblers. Had a 200 shambler raid with gorehulks they came from 4 sides of the map, including the river at the back of the base I have walled off and usually no raids happen from that direction. I called in 2 random allies, then I called in 16 additional troop drops using permits. They ate though all the walls, like 90% of my turrets, some of my allies had flame weapons, which set the shamblers on fire, which were also running though my stockpiles and setting my stockpiles on fire, set my dead allies on fire, and anything they passed by.

I think about 1/3 of my stockpile got destroyed from flaming shamblers setting fires everywhere. I now have firefoam poppers *everywhere*.

I am considering moving from my initial location just so I don't have a river going though the center of my base and I don't have to deal with raids coming from the 4 cardinal directions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Does this work for the shambler assault though? Because unless you're living in a mountain with only one entrance, they're going to be clawing their way in from all directions.

The assaults I think spawn with short lifespans, so if you can build enough wall layers to slow them down a lot of them should drop dead.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OwlFancier posted:

The assaults I think spawn with short lifespans, so if you can build enough wall layers to slow them down a lot of them should drop dead.
Yeah, they seem to spawn with around 9h ~ 12h timers, and the idea seems to be that you just need to outlast them, but it's still more than enough time to get into your base.

I had double layered limestone stone walls around my entire base, but they got through that just fine. They also seem to seek out doors in the outer walls if you have them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh you'd want like 4 layers at least I think. That's what I use for trying to construct proper blockers. Just pack an area with walls and it can deter most raids from bothering though shamblers will still try to break through.

I've found that using speed to kite them and thin the herd combined with retreating can cut a lot of their numbers down.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Broken Cog posted:

My base is an open area with a little pocket the pawns can run into. Doesn't matter which way the shamblers come from, my guys have plenty of time to fall back.

Also if your base isn't a monobuilding, at least in my experience the shamblers will not move in one single blob. They will fan out and try to get into different parts so you don't have to fight them all at once.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
As mentioned, they're not very fast though. I found the flame thrower to work really well. Kite them around and they tend to bunch up naturally then one shot and a dozen or more of them are burning. They don't panic and roll around like normal organics but it's steady, constant damage you don't have to maintain while running around that will get them eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah i mean if you get mechanites maybe, but if you're a professional doc and fail you should just have to redo it with some loss of meds and maybe minor brain scarring

I mean the answer to this and many other vanillisms is simply:

quote:

This is meant to eat time and work hours, as the game is still fundamentally oriented around limited work hours and capabilities as a resource that you expend toward the ever present timer to get off the planet before cass/Phoe drowns you in raids.

Tynan himself may have started moving away from this more firmly with biotech, but it's pretty baked in.

Even combat, the overworld, diplomacy, and questings foibles come back to this.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 14, 2024