Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

My iPhone 12 doesn't charge on my wireless charger until I reboot the phone. Looking around online, this seems to be fairly common, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread talking about it. Is this actually a software issue fixable through future updates? It doesn't seem like hardware since the reboot fixes it until the next night for me, but who knows. It's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I liked the LCDs better because the back light didn't flicker noticeably at lower brightness :(

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm still very keen to know if they're going to address the Purple Problem alongside the arguably much worse Green Problem. Hopefully they stem from the same issue, because the Purple Problem is infuriating but I don't see as much acknowledgement of it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I accidentally activated the personal hotspot while hooked up to the computer. It creates an USB network adapter. That's kinda neat.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh snap. Nice.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This year's Saddle Brown is hittin' different. I thought it smelled suspiciously un-leather like... is anyone else's actually darkening, or is this poo poo just dyed a color this year?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is the flickering problem, purple problem, and green problem?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LuckyCat posted:

I imagine he's talking about the issue with oleds where when you turn the brightness really far down they can flicker or have color shifts.

The reason that happens is because unlike LCDs with a backlight which you can reduce the voltage to to reduce their brightness, OLEDs have only two states, on or off. So to lower the brightness they just turn them off for progressively longer periods of time. When you start turning them on for really short periods of time you get unintended effects.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Even LCDs have their limits there - or well, their power controllers do, at any rate.

Getting a dim screen can take a lot of work, especially if you have extremely fast vision that's real good at picking up flicker and rarely useful for anything at all.

My eyes start loving bleeding looking at a 60hz screen that flickers.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

enojy posted:

This year's Saddle Brown is hittin' different. I thought it smelled suspiciously un-leather like... is anyone else's actually darkening, or is this poo poo just dyed a color this year?

I'm not getting that leather hit like the previous ones.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
returned that leather, felt bad

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IAmKale posted:

What's the go-to brand for iPhone cases now that Diztronic is gone forever (I know it's not a recent development, I just haven't gone case shopping since I picked one up for my iPhone X all those years ago)? I'm looking for a TPU iPhone 12 Mini case with raised corners so I can swipe cleanly from the edges while lifting the screen from any surface I put the phone down on, but I don't want to spend $40-50 on one.

Spigen make really good, affordable cases. I'm a big fan of their Liquid Air. Really nicely textured and not too bulky.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LuckyCat posted:

People already described what's happening, but if you're curious just look up PWM dimming.

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

beejay posted:

My iPhone 12 doesn't charge on my wireless charger until I reboot the phone. Looking around online, this seems to be fairly common, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread talking about it. Is this actually a software issue fixable through future updates? It doesn't seem like hardware since the reboot fixes it until the next night for me, but who knows. It's annoying.

This happened to my 11 Pro this week. Glad it’s not just me I guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kinda funny how I agonized over the picking a color for my iPhone 12 mini and then this years cases just completely hide the phone color when you are using it.

Probably should have gotten the black or white phone as a neutral color so there would be more non-clashing case options, honestly. The blue is a tricky color to coordinate.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

LuckyCat posted:

Fedule posted:

Loving my iPhone 12 mini, flat edges and small form factors are back, baby. I am, however, seeing brief purple flickers when any part of the screen changes from fully black to something else. This seems to be able to happen anywhere, but doesn't happen consistently, which makes me suspect display fuckery. What to look into re: this?

Also is it me or do the OLED iPhones get more of a blue-greenish when viewed from side angles than the Liquid Retina models?

I don't know if the Purple Problem is related to the Flickering Problem but they both seem to involve dark grey colours. I don't know if this is particular to the 12 mini, the 12 generally, or OLED iPhones generally. I'm hoping it will be solved by the same patch that will apparently address the Green Problem, which is a much more dramatic issue where the entire screen becomes tinged green and is apparently definitely a display driver issue rather than a display issue.

(I got my 12 mini back and, yep, this one's camera is fine. Don't know how the first one got moisture in there. 11-day wait for the 24 hour Apple-prepaid service used to send it in, less than 2 hour turnaround on the "service" (read: "replacement") while Apple had it, less than 24 hours for it to get back to me. Mail is weird in these weird times)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

enojy posted:

Maybe your hands aren't as gross and greasy this year since you're not allowed to go anywhere.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

smackfu posted:

Kinda funny how I agonized over the picking a color for my iPhone 12 mini and then this years cases just completely hide the phone color when you are using it.

Probably should have gotten the black or white phone as a neutral color so there would be more non-clashing case options, honestly. The blue is a tricky color to coordinate.

ya i am disappointed in the blue color but w/e it's mostly covered by my twelvesouth bookbook leather case

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe your hands aren't as gross and greasy this year since you're not allowed to go anywhere.

Haha, I didn't think about that, but I bet you're exactly right. I wash my hands so frequently these days that my hands have forgotten what oil is.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I went back a few pages and didn't see this posted, so here it is:

https://support.apple.com/iphone-11-display-module-replacement-program

Some iPhone 11s sold after November 2019 have defective display modules; the defect is that the screen mysteriously stops responding to any inputs.

You can type your serial number into an input on that page and if it thinks your SN is suspect you can take it in to Apple for a free service replacement.

I popped my SN in and it just told me mine wasn't in the range..

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apparently the MagSafe puck can work as a car mount if you already have a magnet mount:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_cYYP0IJCg

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Huh. I might just buy a MagSafe puck and put that on a CD slot mount rather than try my luck on some weird Chinese one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh nice, that’s pretty great. I already have one of those magnet mounts adhered to the console next to the radio, this may actually get me to pick up a puck now.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My iPhone XR is on whatever the latest iOS build is and I've had two really irritating things pop up in the last couple of weeks: 1.) my phone will stop auto locking after 30 seconds 2.)my notification volume somehow gets set to 0 without me doing anything.

On number 1, I woke up a couple of times this week to my phone being on after it got an email notification. This morning it appeared to have been on for 45 minutes (it was plugged in). In order to fix it, I have to go back into the display settings and recheck the 30 seconds option for auto lock. This will work for some amount of time before it starts acting weird again. It's not just in the morning that this happens.

On number 2 (which I think I've complained about here before), the phone behaves like it's on silent, but it's not. I have to wiggle the ring volume slider and it will work for a while, then go back to being silent. When I wiggle the slider the "silent off" pop up comes up even though again, it's not on silent. I also have it set to not use the volume buttons to change the ring volume. Googling this one comes up with "durr, have you checked the silent switch or dnd, durrr" but it's definitely neither of those being the issue. It seems to have gotten worse recently.

Has anyone else seen this? Should I do a factory reset, or, throw my phone in the garbage and have my work give me an iPhone mini?

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 5, 2020

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Binary Badger posted:

I went back a few pages and didn't see this posted, so here it is:

https://support.apple.com/iphone-11-display-module-replacement-program

Some iPhone 11s sold after November 2019 have defective display modules; the defect is that the screen mysteriously stops responding to any inputs.

You can type your serial number into an input on that page and if it thinks your SN is suspect you can take it in to Apple for a free service replacement.

I popped my SN in and it just told me mine wasn't in the range..

Came to post this and then plugged my number in as well and it says I'm not affected. Let's just hope that range doesn't expand, yeah?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For those who use the phone camera heavily, do you feel that the 12 Pro is worth it over the 12 regular/mini? The camera is the only reason I would want the Pro.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

For those who use the phone camera heavily, do you feel that the 12 Pro is worth it over the 12 regular/mini? The camera is the only reason I would want the Pro.

I bought the Pro because I have twin toddlers and I’m constantly taking pictures of them. The ultra wide lens rules, especially for portrait mode. I don’t have to be 8 feet away from them to get real good portrait pics of them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Huh. I might just buy a MagSafe puck and put that on a CD slot mount rather than try my luck on some weird Chinese one.
To be fair, on the few Chinese ones I’ve seen videos of, they seem to be fine too. Course they’re limited to 7.5W or whatever vs 15W for the official one (ignoring that that’s a peak value and drops off at some time).

TheWevel posted:

My iPhone XR is on whatever the latest iOS build is and I've had two really irritating things pop up in the last couple of weeks: 1.) my phone will stop auto locking after 30 seconds 2.)my notification volume somehow gets set to 0 without me doing anything.

On number 1, I woke up a couple of times this week to my phone being on after it got an email notification. This morning it appeared to have been on for 45 minutes (it was plugged in). In order to fix it, I have to go back into the display settings and recheck the 30 seconds option for auto lock. This will work for some amount of time before it starts acting weird again. It's not just in the morning that this happens.

On number 2 (which I think I've complained about here before), the phone behaves like it's on silent, but it's not. I have to wiggle the ring volume slider and it will work for a while, then go back to being silent. When I wiggle the slider the "silent off" pop up comes up even though again, it's not on silent. I also have it set to not use the volume buttons to change the ring volume. Googling this one comes up with "durr, have you checked the silent switch or dnd, durrr" but it's definitely neither of those being the issue. It seems to have gotten worse recently.

Has anyone else seen this? Should I do a factory reset, or, throw my phone in the garbage and have my work give me an iPhone mini?
I don’t think I’ve seen an auto lock issue, is it happening on the Home Screen? (drat iOS capitalizing that). I know apps can ask to keep the screen awake, maybe check Settings-Battery and see if something shows up with an abnormal amount of screen on time or something.

As for sound, yeah I feel like there’s some bugginess in iOS 14. I just turned off the ringer volume with buttons thing myself. One other thing I did notice was that Shortcuts can now control silent mode, so technically the hardware silent switch doesn’t necessarily have to match the actual software state.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also keep in mind that any wireless charging is, at best, 75% efficient. So that 15w charger is only actually getting about 11-12w of power to your phone.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just found a $15 itunes code in my iPhone X box/instructions

Was this an Apple promo? Nice find anyway 🤷🏽‍♀️

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You can tear the tele cam out of my cold dead hands, so yeah I personally think it’s worth it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Just found a $15 itunes code in my iPhone X box/instructions

Was this an Apple promo? Nice find anyway 🤷🏽‍♀️
:confused: Where’d you buy it?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think Verizon? Think it was used, so many previous owner just left it in there

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I bought the Pro because I have twin toddlers and I’m constantly taking pictures of them. The ultra wide lens rules, especially for portrait mode. I don’t have to be 8 feet away from them to get real good portrait pics of them.

The pro adds the Tele lens and pro raw over the 12 so your statement here applies to all three 12/pro/mini

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

The pro adds the Tele lens and pro raw over the 12 so your statement here applies to all three 12/pro/mini

The pro is also the only one with night mode portraits (they all have night mode) according to the documentation on their site.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

in case anyone was wondering

quote:

With last year’s iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, the differentiating feature was almost solely the difference in screen size. This year, however, the iPhone 12 Pro Max actually offers several notable camera improvements over the smaller iPhone 12 Pro.

Both the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro Max feature a triple-lens camera setup on the back with 12MP ultra wide, wide, and telephoto lenses. You also get support for Night mode, Deep Fusion, and Apple ProRAW across the board.

Where things start to differ, however, is in terms of sensor size. The wide camera on the iPhone 12 Pro Max features a 47% larger sensor than on the iPhone 12 Pro, with 1.7μm pixels. Apple says that this difference in sensor size makes for a whopping 87% improvement in low-light conditions.

The wide camera on the iPhone 12 Pro also features sensor-shift optical image stabilization, which stabilizes the sensor itself rather than the lens. Apple says that this will greatly improve stabilization for photos and videos.

iPhone 12 Pro
Between the ultra wide, wide, and telephoto lenses, Apple says that the iPhone 12 Pro Max features a total optical zoom range of 5x, whereas the iPhone 12 Pro features a 4x optical zoom range. The iPhone 12 Pro features digital zoom up to 10x, and the iPhone 12 Pro Max features digital zoom up to 12x.

Finally, the iPhone 12 Pro Max features a 2.5× ƒ/2.2 telephoto lens, while the iPhone 12 Pro features a 2x ƒ/2.0 telephoto lens. The higher aperture on the iPhone 12 Pro Max lens means that there is less light is entering the camera, so the iPhone 12 Pro lens actually lets in more light.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Who has gotten a non iPhone case and tested the MagSafe wireless charging ?

Just curious how consistently it works with different non apple cases.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I did this too for the same reason. I would’ve jumped up to the Max for the extra camera features but that thing is gigantic. 12 Pro isn’t “the best” camera available but it’s a good step up from the regular 12. Night mode works well.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Proteus Jones posted:

The pro is also the only one with night mode portraits (they all have night mode) according to the documentation on their site.

Which is also where the biggest advantage of the Pro Max is evident. Night mode shutter speeds are quite a bit shorter than with the regular Pro.

The tele camera makes nice portraits in good lighting, but unfortunately it falls apart quickly in dimmer lighting, to the point where the phone actually prefers using a digitally cropped 1x camera shot over the 2x/2.5x camera when it is darker. When your scene is not reasonably bright, you really depend on the 1x camera because the ultra wide and tele become way too noisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The LIDAR itself still owns and so far i had zero problems focusing in any situation.

But I’d still buy the mini if they brought that over and give up the tele.