Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Little something for the White Knights...source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow

To dream the impossible DREAMS!
To flame the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable Lesnick
To fly where the goons dare not go

To sell the unflyable ships
To doxx, posting poo poo from afar
When your t-rex arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable PAAAARP

This is my quest
To follow that PAAAAARP
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To shill for the devs
Without question or pause
To be willing to drop thirty grand
For a foolish rear end cause

And I know if you'll only be true
To this glorious load
You can earn 5k UEC
If you use this code

And the world will be better for Chris
That one man, once you paid off his car
Still drove when the game went tits up
To reach the unreachable :gary:PAAAAAAAAAAAAARP:yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

apparently this video proves that star citizen is "real 64-bit".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G29b0GKX6Sc

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing :shrug:

You're supposed to see a dot in the far distance that is another ship moving from one part of space to another. You can do this in any game that has sufficiently large grids and/or track objects off-grid.

Like 32-bit EVE.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

:shrug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Don't ask me, I don't loving.....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

Let's do the opposite, because it's hell of a lot easier:
• Not bleeding edge — it may be untested and unstable, but it's actually pretty old, and is more a case of lock-in and over-engineering.
• Design by committee is iffy — it's only one insane guy who constantly changes his mind, but I suppose the community ideas could count.
• Not Peter Principle — no person of any competence is being moved upwards, and the people at the top didn't get there because of what they did at a lower level.

Analysis Paralysis: LOL like these guys analyze anything.
Bicycle Shed: I MUST SPEND 8 HOURS WRITING THIS PERFECT MISSIVE IN RESPONSE TO A PRESS INQUIRY!
Bleeding Edge: I suppose one could argue that forcing CryEngine to do what it was never meant to do is bleeding edge. It's certainly untested and unstable.
Bystander Apathy: Like any of those guys are going to piss off Chris.
Cash Cow: Why produce a game when your business model of selling JPEGs is so effective?
Design by Committee: I would argue that Chris's ADD is worse than any committee. Either way it's blatantly clear there's no unifying vision and individual assets are indeed designed by multiple people.
Escalation of Commitment: HELMET! HELMET! HELMET!
Groupthink: Everything is awesome. The game is progressing well. Sandi is a marketing genius. Two weeks.
Management by Objectives: I'm pretty sure the only number CIG gives a poo poo about is the funding counter.
Micromanagement: It's perfectly reasonable for the guy in charge of the entire project to provide input on shoelaces and direct the entire performance capture.
Moral Hazard: Like any of those guys are going to piss off Chris.
Mushroom Management: AKA "CIG's entire marketing system".
Peter Principle: Director of Community Engagement and Online Strategy and Director of Ships
Seagull Management: Notice how the organization that does the best is the one furthest away from Santa Monica?
Stovepipe: See what happened to Illfonic.
Typecasting: CIG seems to do the opposite and throws everything possible at people who are woefully unqualified.
Vendor Lock-In: loving CRYENGINE

Cart Before the Horse: You know nothing about game design.
Death March: Yup.
Ninety-Ninety Rule: Two Weeks.
Overengineering: See every loving feature of this game.
Scope Creep: It's their loving funding model.
Smoke and Mirrors: See FPS and procedural planets.

As far as I can tell the only things CIG doesn't do are the ones related to poor management styles... because that would require CIG to actually manage things.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am Space Satan.

Hail Space Satan! Hail Beer!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I think that thing on the right is the bird detector. Some weird looking procedural birds in the verse

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Agrajag posted:

Mirificus posted:

The about page on that blog links to their other blogs and "Main website".

someone tell this guy to: GET OFF THE loving INTERNET AND GO INTERACT WITH REAL PEOPLE!!!
Star Citizen really does seem to attract more than its fair share of people with mental illness.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Chalks posted:

I'd be interested to know the lengths of the probations they're handing out because every time I see one it seems to be for a decade and it seems suspicious that they don't just permban these people.

So, I can't easily pull their actual probation lengths, however, there are two distinct categories of ban that I can easily see; one is a normal ban, which is really a probation (of any length), the other is an actual perma-ban. The perma-bans only seem to be used for things like spammers, permanently closed accounts (like D_Smart's), and accounts that have been migrated to a different account as part of the earlier mentioned database restructure.

I suspect the difference is that a perma-ban prevents that user account's credentials from pulling any forum data whatsoever, which wouldn't work for any account that's mean to still be able to use the rest of the RSI site, since several parts of it are tightly coupled to the forums stuff. Instead, for anyone that's supposed to still have access to the game/RSI site, just not the forums themselves, they use a very long probation instead, since it still allows those credentials to at least read their own user data/other forums data, just not write anything.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chalks posted:

I'd be interested to know the lengths of the probations they're handing out because every time I see one it seems to be for a decade and it seems suspicious that they don't just permban these people.

Since the game will not exist in a year or two, nor the website or associated accounts, 10 years is effectively at least 5 times longer than necessary to accomplish a permaban. This may be the only thing CIG properly planned in advance.

Edit: Never mind, just read the above. Seems there's logic behind permabans vs. probations. The latter silences critics but leaves open the paths to their wallets.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 24, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Analysis Paralysis: LOL like these guys analyze anything.
Management by Objectives: I'm pretty sure the only number CIG gives a poo poo about is the funding counter.
Typecasting: CIG seems to do the opposite and throws everything possible at people who are woefully unqualified.

As far as I can tell the only things CIG doesn't do are the ones related to poor management styles... because that would require CIG to actually manage things.

I still feel analysis paralysis applies, as part of their ever-changing ideas for new systems. I suppose it just could be an aspect of scope creep, but the amount of disjointed ideas for systems that have no place suggests that they they cannot ever nail anything down.

Management by objective applies exactly for the reason you cite: it's not actually relevant to the final product, but it can be counted and it drives what development time is being spent on.

Typecasting… yeah, you're probably right on that one, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's because we don't see the inside of the staff shuffling. Even so, gut feeling tells me that if someone should happen to do something good, he's stuck at doing that for eternity.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Agrajag posted:

someone tell this guy to: GET OFF THE loving INTERNET AND GO INTERACT WITH REAL PEOPLE!!!

leave the real people alone please

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

How many of these can you attribute to CIG? :v:

Anti-pattern wiki is the best single page web site about programming I've ever seen. And it literally all applies to CIG. They do almost everything wrong. The only thing they're good at is monetizing the understimulated nostalgia nerd market.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

Number of permanent banned users might be interesting if you can get it, even better if you could filter on users with more than 50 posts (to cut out the bots/spammers, lazy/obvious trolls). If I'm making a wish list too, can you pull their backer level if they've set it too?

I'd be interested to see how many High Admirals & Space Marshalls etc have been banned.

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r0d5llR7UPv-1K044mhMPG9OLKiFJ4_F-0zGzWU7apg/edit?usp=sharing

Not as many as I'd thought. Banned of 127 means perma-banned, banned of 1 means any current probation status. Data was pulled yesterday afternoon. Filtered on more than 50 posts or more than 10 discussions started, since the forums count them separately.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Since you've given up on CIG, what kind of poo poo can you stir up with this information, Octopode? Let's have some fun here.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
About to start up a busy semester so I won't be following the thread as closely. Just want to wish everyone well. Ben please lose some weight I had an uncle your size who died in his mid-40s because of it.

Griefin', got my ships logged in
Keep griefin', like the goons-do man
Together, more or less online, just keep griefin' on

Space simulations and message board posting and spreadsheets
EVE, CIG, RSI and it's all on the same street
Your typical sperglord involved in a typical daydream
Gang up on them and hear the space wailing ring

Youtube, got a laugh machine 4Chan, too close to anime
SA Goons got the ways and means and just won't let you be

Most of the spergs that you meet on the web speak of immersion
Most of the time they're sittin' and cryin' at home
One of these days they know they better get refunds
Get out of doors and out of the basement alone

Griefin', like the goons-do man. Ka-mi-kaz-E, you've got to steal and ram
Sometimes your JPEGS ain't worth a dime, if you don't blow-em up

Sometimes the posts are all shiny to me
Other times I can barely read
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange thread it's been

What in the world ever became of CRobs?
He lost his marbles, you know he isn't the same
Livin' on threads, vitamin Derek, and cocaine,
All a goon can say is ain't it a shame?

Griefin', up to no good trolls. Been thinkin', you got to shitpost slow
Takes time, you pick a ship to borrow, and just keep griefin' on

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Junkozeyne posted:

I'm so lucky that I don't understand game development because otherwise I would have to ask myself why every other company can do it and only CIG can't. :psyduck:

Succinctly stated. Every single mistake CIG has made, and every display of incompetence, is made infinitely worse by the fact that the world is filled with developers, many of them first-time, who are doing a better job at everything. I just dropped $4 on Hard Reset (read about it ITT) and it has better physics, by an indie team, than anything CIG has made. And it doesn't crash.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

I still feel analysis paralysis applies, as part of their ever-changing ideas for new systems. I suppose it just could be an aspect of scope creep, but the amount of disjointed ideas for systems that have no place suggests that they they cannot ever nail anything down.

Management by objective applies exactly for the reason you cite: it's not actually relevant to the final product, but it can be counted and it drives what development time is being spent on.

Typecasting… yeah, you're probably right on that one, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's because we don't see the inside of the staff shuffling. Even so, gut feeling tells me that if someone should happen to do something good, he's stuck at doing that for eternity.

Analysis Paralysis (at least as I see it) is about getting held up by assertions of not having sufficient data to make a call. Chris Roberts has no problem making a call, the problem is that he constantly changes what that call is. Analysis Paralysis would exist if CIG kept on saying that they can't do balance until they get more data, or they couldn't implement a server fix without getting more people to play. Neither of those are the case.

I see Management by Objective being a question of ignoring what a worker does to look exclusively at metrics. In other words they ignore the soft skills or qualitative stuff and only hired/fired workers by the number of CS tickets they closed (regardless of how those tickets were dealt with) or the number of pictures they made (regardless of how lovely those pictures actually were). Alternatively it's the pursuit of process improvements regardless of the cost and margin of effectiveness. For example if they spent millions on a new distributed cloud system that only reduced loading times by a tenth of a second.

I was debating the Typecasting one. For example Zane Bien is literally the UI guy, and that's all he does. But then you see poo poo like the community staff who do everything but talk about the actual game, or the marketing VP who also answers CS tickets.

So I stand by my assertion that the only anti-patterns that CIG avoids are the ones associated with actually managing things.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Octopode posted:

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r0d5llR7UPv-1K044mhMPG9OLKiFJ4_F-0zGzWU7apg/edit?usp=sharing

Not as many as I'd thought. Banned of 127 means perma-banned, banned of 1 means any current probation status. Data was pulled yesterday afternoon. Filtered on more than 50 posts or more than 10 discussions started, since the forums count them separately.
Dr_Satan - jet fuel can't melt steel beams
Seraph84 - Seraph
Happy_McDeath - inevitable consequence of piracy

Shouldn't Seria be on that list?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Logged in for the first time in a few months yesterday since my Freelancer is flyable now.

I couldn't get the chat to work and someone followed me into my ship. I decided to take off anyway in case he wanted to copilot. I think he thought I was kidnapping him though because when I landed afterward the rear door was open, so I guess he jumped out at some point.

I also had automatic landing enabled so I thought when it took control that it was safe for me to get up. When I exited the ship though I fell quite a ways, and turned around to see my ship slowly floating away from me at an angle.

Good times.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Mirificus posted:

Dr_Satan - jet fuel can't melt steel beams
Seraph84 - Seraph
Happy_McDeath - inevitable consequence of piracy

Shouldn't Seria be on that list?

Yes, he should be, but for some reason, his Banned flag isn't actually set in Vanilla. So actual numbers are likely higher than what's reflected there.

Edit: Since his is a relatively recent faux permaban, they may have changed the way those probations are handled, and in a way that's not exposed to the public APIs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I don't understand the cryengine instance limit.

Archeage uses cryengine, and there were definitely many occasions when hundreds of characters shared the same instance. The raid size is 50, and there are often full raids or even 2 full raids for some dailies. For one of the daily quests (grimgast) each player has to move 2 boxes of cargo halfway across the zone, so you can have your 50 players and they all summon their vehicles as well (carts, donkeys, racecars or skateboards). There was a halloween quest where everyone from all factions who wanted to participate had to squeeze into a single location and throw candy, with hundreds of players showing up for the prime time event (players could set their own client to display as few as 40 characters to keep their own computer from melting, but the server still had to keep track of everyone).

Archeage isn't in space obviously, but it did have flying. There are gliders, flying mounts, and airships, so there is quite a bit of vertical space in their maps. There are even flying NPCs, such as birds!

Don't get me wrong, archeage is a terrible game, but being massively multiplayer is not one of the problems. If koreans can squeeze hundreds of players into a single cryengine instance, why can't Croberts?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Sent to me by the mole within CIG, the one that You must upgrade your account to platinum to view this message and that's why croberts couldn't sit down for a week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Death March is probably the most important one. If even half the devs feel that way, the effect on morale can make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm not implying that improved morale could break through the Great Wall of Chris and actually produce something. He was always the reason this project's destiny was a foregone conclusion. Some here joke about possible suicides from the cult members when this finally collapses (or gets features butchered until it's a shadow of its original promise, sadly the best-case scenario) but I think the day-to-day pressures on those developers must be pushing some of them pretty close to the edge as well. They can't even pull it together long enough to hold in their emotions on livestream broadcasts that they know reflects on the company. What must it be like for these guys when they go home for the day?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: This Is All We Do - Have Autism Madness

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Octopode posted:

Yes, he should be, but for some reason, his Banned flag isn't actually set in Vanilla. So actual numbers are likely higher than what's reflected there.

Edit: Since his is a relatively recent faux permaban, they may have changed the way those probations are handled, and in a way that's not exposed to the public APIs.
Is that why Beer isn't on the list either? Also, thanks for the data.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

The Death March is probably the most important one. If even half the devs feel that way, the effect on morale can make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm not implying that improved morale could break through the Great Wall of Chris and actually produce something. He was always the reason this project's destiny was a foregone conclusion. Some here joke about possible suicides from the cult members when this finally collapses (or gets features butchered until it's a shadow of its original promise, sadly the best-case scenario) but I think the day-to-day pressures on those developers must be pushing some of them pretty close to the edge as well. They can't even pull it together long enough to hold in their emotions on livestream broadcasts that they know reflects on the company. What must it be like for these guys when they go home for the day?

Yep, and like cultists they signed up with the dreams of the head honcho. Imagine knowing nothing you can do nor how much effort and time you put will affect the final outcome of the game.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

Archeage uses cryengine, and there were definitely many occasions when hundreds of characters shared the same instance. The raid size is 50, and there are often full raids or even 2 full raids for some dailies. For one of the daily quests (grimgast) each player has to move 2 boxes of cargo halfway across the zone, so you can have your 50 players and they all summon their vehicles as well (carts, donkeys, racecars or skateboards). There was a halloween quest where everyone from all factions who wanted to participate had to squeeze into a single location and throw candy, with hundreds of players showing up for the prime time event (players could set their own client to display as few as 40 characters to keep their own computer from melting, but the server still had to keep track of everyone).

Archeage isn't in space obviously, but it did have flying. There are gliders, flying mounts, and airships, so there is quite a bit of vertical space in their maps. There are even flying NPCs, such as birds!

Don't get me wrong, archeage is a terrible game, but being massively multiplayer is not one of the problems. If koreans can squeeze hundreds of players into a single cryengine instance, why can't Croberts?

The instance limit is not an inherent limit based on CryEngine, it's dependent on the supporting server and client communications code and supporting infrastructure capabilities, which are generally unique to each company's implementation.

Most traditional MMOs also have a much higher limit to how quickly any given action can be expected to be resolved between the client and server (e.g., WoW's global cooldown), which gives a much higher tolerance on the server side than something like SC, which needs to keep its server calculations and checking fast enough to feel real-time. If you know you only need to keep each connected client updated once every second or so, that's a much easier problem to deal with than needing to keep every connected client updated every 1/60th of a second (or faster).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

It's not real time, it's a completely different kettle of fish.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

It's almost never just one thing with these people. When you get a whiff of insanity, there's almost always a whole rabbit hole to find.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Mirificus posted:

Is that why Beer isn't on the list either? Also, thanks for the data.

Yeah, same situation, here's a list pulled based on having the Title "On Probation" instead, which may be a little more reliable.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ill8Ukugx5mRo1kU746oEm42C0UAIURUOSB-BpwGHtU/edit?usp=sharing

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Angela Christine posted:

It's not related to cryeninge, as much as it is the gameplay design and supporting server structures.
MMOs typically have a global limit on how many actions can happen at once/that the servers need to process at once in the form of a global cooldown on your skills. (Never played Archage, but I assume it's the same as WoW, and every other MMO on the planet in this regard).
They also don't rely (*Typically) on things like tracking projectiles in flight at all (You cast fireball at a target, the client is entirely responsible for drawing that projectile speeding from your hand to the chosen target), and don't really need to worry about doing stuff like host state rewind latency calculations to see if you actually made that headshot or not. (This is a little simplifications, MMOs do care about latency- Just look at stuff like a spell interrupt going off in time correctly, for example).

TLDR Typical MMO combat is far far simpler and easier to manage server side than typical FPS or god forbid sim-type combat with big piles of weapons all spewing rapid fire projectiles that need to be tracked and so on.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Octopode posted:

Yeah, same situation, here's a list pulled based on having the Title "On Probation" instead, which may be a little more reliable.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ill8Ukugx5mRo1kU746oEm42C0UAIURUOSB-BpwGHtU/edit?usp=sharing

Far more goon names on there, looks correct!@!!!! :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Octopode posted:

So many Goons on that list. :rip: I wonder how CIG staff decide between ten year probations and actual bans, and why the distinction actually exists in the first place.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
REDDIT:"...The new collisions are incredible!"

That wee little Mustang packs quite a punch! It's like the pick-up truck in Super-8...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Analysis Paralysis (at least as I see it) is about getting held up by assertions of not having sufficient data to make a call. Chris Roberts has no problem making a call, the problem is that he constantly changes what that call is. Analysis Paralysis would exist if CIG kept on saying that they can't do balance until they get more data, or they couldn't implement a server fix without getting more people to play. Neither of those are the case.
Hmm. Yeah, fair enough. It's more in the communications from the community team that I get that feeling anyway, and as Chris has told us, they're not to be trusted. :haw:

quote:

I see Management by Objective being a question of ignoring what a worker does to look exclusively at metrics. In other words they ignore the soft skills or qualitative stuff and only hired/fired workers by the number of CS tickets they closed (regardless of how those tickets were dealt with) or the number of pictures they made (regardless of how lovely those pictures actually were). Alternatively it's the pursuit of process improvements regardless of the cost and margin of effectiveness. For example if they spent millions on a new distributed cloud system that only reduced loading times by a tenth of a second.
It depends on what you think of as an objective, I suppose. It just feels like, at this point, the objective is to squeeze more money and anything that isn't working towards that goal (i.e. anything that doesn't create spectacular and easily-sold visuals) is put on the back-burner. Meanwhile, they keep increasing technical debt and complexity without actually solving the core issues that would make their lives easier.

quote:

So I stand by my assertion that the only anti-patterns that CIG avoids are the ones associated with actually managing things.

On my part, I'd still remove the Peter Principle. From what I've seen, the exact opposite seems to happen: anyone that displays competence is kicked out (their good ideas clash with management's bad ones) or leave (for the same reason, but before they have a chance to be kicked out). Can't let them move up and be in a position to argue, now can we?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Gwaihir posted:

TLDR Typical MMO combat is far far simpler and easier to manage server side than typical FPS or god forbid sim-type combat with big piles of weapons all spewing rapid fire projectiles that need to be tracked and so on.

And yet Planetside 2 exists and works very well. SC isn't impossible. Just impossible for CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

G0RF posted:

REDDIT:"...The new collisions are incredible!"

That wee little Mustang packs quite a punch! It's like the pick-up truck in Super-8...

It also clearly fucks up because it rams a ship and then quantum drives(?) away

• Locked thread