Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Look and play like a dreamcast game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

fridge corn posted:

i just remembered ghost of tsushima is a thing

I'm really hoping this is a hit. I was not a fan of the first Infamous game at all but haven't played any other Sucker Punch games. I've heard that the Sly Cooper games have good stealth mechanics so I really hope this helps fill the void caused by the end of Metal Gear Solid. I really hope it has a Japanese audio track and that it isn't super apparent that you're playing a samurai game made by a bunch of bearded guys from Seattle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Look and play like a dreamcast game

It needs to play like a bad dreamcast game to continue the Shenmue legacy

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Real hurthling! posted:

Tlou's mp designer left naughty dog this week so tlou2 probably gonna be different

This is no bueno. TLOU's multiplayer was incredible

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Having never played it before, I enjoyed Outrun in Yak0 (except for the loving sand level). Unlocking Super Hang-On is a nice bonus, too

On a related note, it'd be nice to have arcade motorcycle games again. Bring back Road Rash, EA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ElwoodCuse posted:

There was a really good Outrun on Xbox Live Arcade for the 360 but I think it got taken down for good because the Ferrari license expired. It had the F40, Enzo, and some other older models too.

That was a port of Coast to Coast, though alas only the original Xbox/PS2 disks have every car and track on it. It's a genuinely awesome game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are so many dense with content games these days. I still don’t know what Shenmue 3 is going to do to stand out now, other than have the Shenmue name.

I can't see how it will improve on the virtual tourism of yakuza 6, but I have to know what fuckin happened at the end of shenmue 2. I've been waiting like 15 years

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shenmue 3 should just go all-in with the ability to follow people throughout their completely boring everyday lives. It was cool that we got to see them go to work and take lunch breaks in the original game, but I wanna see where they live, I wanna know what TV shows they like to watch, I wanna know what color underpants they put on in the morning and weird poo poo they're into with their wives.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are so many dense with content games these days. I still don’t know what Shenmue 3 is going to do to stand out now, other than have the Shenmue name.

I don’t even care if it stands out. Shenmue 2 ended on a cliffhanger and I want resolution, dammit!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

nachos posted:

I can't see how it will improve on the virtual tourism of yakuza 6, but I have to know what fuckin happened at the end of shenmue 2. I've been waiting like 15 years
Indiana Jones happened.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Shenmue 3 should just go all-in with the ability to follow people throughout their completely boring everyday lives. It was cool that we got to see them go to work and take lunch breaks in the original game, but I wanna see where they live, I wanna know what TV shows they like to watch, I wanna know what color underpants they put on in the morning and weird poo poo they're into with their wives.
Shenmue Stalking Simulator

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Wait, Super Hang On is in Yakuza 0??

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VideoGames posted:

yes

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

VideoGames posted:

fill up the friendship gauge with Luka at Sega Land on Nakamichi St.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

It can finish the loving story

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It can finish the loving story

It didn't reach that stretch goal when it was Kickstarted sorry

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
^^^(3 posts up) I will not be touching any spoilers because I have been keeping Yakuza 0 on standby until I beat Nier: Automata

Oh man I cannot wait to play this game!!!

Supe Hang On was one of the pack in games I got when I got my megadrive and I adored that game so much, especially the music! :D

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah i need to see gameplay but im hype as heck

I'm pretty hype too although I didn't think infamous had that good gameplay, but mainly thats cause im a prototype loyalist and that game got poo poo all over while journos loved infamous for its *story*

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nopantsjack posted:

I'm pretty hype too although I didn't think infamous had that good gameplay, but mainly thats cause im a prototype loyalist and that game got poo poo all over while journos loved infamous for its *story*

I love Prototype and Infamous, but outside of being superpowers games they are two totally different beasts and I always got annoyed they were compared so heavily.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Like, Prototype was built around combat and being pure power fantasy. The traversal abilities were made to get you between point A and B as fast as possible, and the combat powers were made to let you splat as many dudes at points a and b in as many gory and over-the-top ways as you could ever want. Also you could karate kick a helicopter.

Infamous was built around story and exploration, so it had powers and climbing that made traversal about finding a way from point a to point b, and more of a game in and of itself. The combat powers were made to fit the kind of character you were playing as, and to give you options that were more tactically varied over fantastic splatter. Also, you could not karate kick a helicopter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, you could not karate kick a helicopter.

This is why Prototype was better.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VideoGames posted:

^^^(3 posts up) I will not be touching any spoilers because I have been keeping Yakuza 0 on standby until I beat Nier: Automata

Oh man I cannot wait to play this game!!!

Supe Hang On was one of the pack in games I got when I got my megadrive and I adored that game so much, especially the music! :D

The classic games available from the start are Out Run and Space Harrier.

Super Hang On and Fantasy Zone are there but you need to unlock them.

Yakuza 6 brings those back plus VF5 and Puyo Puyo.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Delsin is my sunshine! :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love Prototype and Infamous, but outside of being superpowers games they are two totally different beasts and I always got annoyed they were compared so heavily.

They came out at the same time, for different consoles. It was inevitable.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Also you haven't finished N:A yet? I thought you started that well over a month ago.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Same thing happened with Blur and Split/Second

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Infamous was PS4 exclusive. Prototype was cross platform.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exploded mummy posted:

Infamous was PS4 exclusive. Prototype was cross platform.

It was a big game for the X360 back when there was some semblance of competition with the PS3.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

Also you haven't finished N:A yet? I thought you started that well over a month ago.

Yes, but sadly my life is such that I only get two evenings a week where I can reliably sit down and concentrate on a game, and even then some of those get taken away.

When I move later in the year, things should be very different! :D

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Samurai Sanders posted:

Go grocery shopping for normal day to day items. Manage your toiletry inventory. Getting the toothpaste on the toothbrush minigame. Flossing properly. Going to the dentist. Trophies for not having cavities.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

VideoGames posted:

Yes, but sadly my life is such that I only get two evenings a week where I can reliably sit down and concentrate on a game, and even then some of those get taken away.

Same! Except its been really nice weather at the weekend recently so those dont even count now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

VideoGames posted:

When I move later in the year, things should be very different! :D

I get your feel. My stupid job that allows me to support my video game habit prevents me from playing the games that I buy! :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The things that you actually do in Shenmue's open world are so unique and mundane that it's at the same time unlike anything else you've ever experienced and probably a complete turn-off for newcomers. Like, you have a curfew and need to get a part-time job. You have to practice your karate moves in a parking lot. There are maybe 20 actual fights in the entire game. It's intensely grounded in a way that most video games would never dare to attempt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

The things that you actually do in Shenmue's open world are so unique and mundane that it's at the same time unlike anything else you've ever experienced and probably a complete turn-off for newcomers. Like, you have a curfew and need to get a part-time job. You have to practice your karate moves in a parking lot. There are maybe 20 actual fights in the entire game. It's intensely grounded in a way that most video games would never dare to attempt.

You can open every drawer or cupboard in Ryo's house and poke around inside for no actual gain than to see where he keeps neatly-stacked notebooks or spare batteries.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

The best game to play high is literally all of them, all of the time, constantly.

Preach

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Waltzing Along posted:

Go grocery shopping for normal day to day items. Manage your toiletry inventory. Getting the toothpaste on the toothbrush minigame. Flossing properly. Going to the dentist. Trophies for not having cavities.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/996525678454558720

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This is what I mean when I say that Shenmue games are dense;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9i1mFVnu6c

That's 25 minutes worth of cupboards, drawers, and random (often unique) objects that almost entirely have no impact on the story. And that's just Ryo's own house. It's not something you can do quickly like collectables (where it's, relatively speaking, "instance of object at X/Y/Z coordinates times [collectable total]") but each drawer/cupboard/random point of interest has to be individually designed despite being a standardized instance of "focus on drawer->open drawer".

The attention to mundane details in the Shenmue games is staggering for the time.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

A 3D steelbook, and a little fanservice for all fairy solitaire fans out there.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dragons Crown is as good as I remember it being but I forgot multiplayer was story-locked. Do you need to unlock it per-character or did they see reason and it's a once-and-done thing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

From what I see it shares both trophies and save games with the PS3/Vita version, so it's functionally the same.