Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
this update owns, because it has all the charm of the early john and dave chats with real maturity and growth plus karkat turns everything to gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Grouchio posted:

-Karkat Vantas, 2015

:wtc:

You are almost certain Troll Shakespeare said that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Karkat is, as always, a great guy to have around, because his tantrums provide the correct background to allow Dave to be sincere without the tone falling to pieces.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Reactions around the web to this are varied. Tumblr has a roaring outpouring of support and takes this to mean Dave and Karkat are together, 4chan appears to have seized on Dave saying no when asked point-blank whether he's gay and dismissing claims that he's bisexual as "desperate", comparing them to when people suggested similarly of John when he said he wasn't a homosexual.

While it's more obvious than ever that something's going on between Dave and Karkat, I do think that maybe their relationship isn't completely clear cut. Dave definitely danced around addressing it directly when John started to stumble close to the idea, while he's clearly progressed a lot personally they might not be entirely there yet.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
tumblr and 4chan are both cesspits

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Don't forget Karkat's ambiguously unresolved hateboner for john

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

GeneX posted:

tumblr and 4chan are both cesspits

dude literally anywhere, either online or offline, that discusses homestuck, is a cesspit

e: embrace the cess. revel in it. roll in it. taste the cess. taste it.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 1, 2015

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Don't forget Karkat's ambiguously unresolved hateboner for john

(WHY. WHY ARE THESE WORDS HAPPENING TO OUR CONVERSATION.)

E: LOBOTOMY HOBBITS is a good username for someone.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Based on this update I'd say they're growing closer and on the road to a relationship (and that Dave is aware of that fact and being honest with himself about it) but not actually getting flushed yet.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

WAR FOOT posted:

dude literally anywhere, either online or offline, that discusses homestuck, is a cesspit

it's still worth bringing up

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

GeneX posted:

it's still worth bringing up

But I don't want to go among cesspools,' noted forums user GeneX remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the WAR FOOT: 'we're all poo poo here. I'm poo poo. You're poo poo.'
'How do you know I'm poo poo?' said GeneX.
'You must be,' said the WAR FOOT, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

WAR FOOT posted:

But I don't want to go among cesspools,' noted forums user GeneX remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the WAR FOOT: 'we're all poo poo here. I'm poo poo. You're poo poo.'
'How do you know I'm poo poo?' said GeneX.
'You must be,' said the WAR FOOT, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'

yes, but if I'm a giant turd in the SA toilet bowl, tumblr is the bathroom at a lovely mexican restaurant and 4chan is a sewer main

it's a difference of degree, not kind

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

WAR FOOT posted:

4chan is a special kind of cesspit. One where any hint that Hussie is not the Alpha Male Bullshit Anti-Tumblr Messiah they want, they start raving and hurling poo poo at each other.

Fister Roboto posted:

OK I am definitely not reading all these god drat words about inconsequential tumblr bullshit. Jesus loving christ Hussie.

Karkat Vantas posted:

KARKAT: A FAIR REBUTTAL. HOWEVER, CONSIDER THIS COUNTERPOINT:
KARKAT: Y... YES???

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

GeneX posted:

yes, but if I'm a giant turd in the SA toilet bowl, tumblr is the bathroom at a lovely mexican restaurant and 4chan is a sewer main

it's a difference of degree, not kind

at the end of the day, we're all poo poo, my brother

Classtoise posted:

4chan is a special kind of cesspit. One where any hint that Hussie is not the Alpha Male Bullshit Anti-Tumblr Messiah they want, they start raving and hurling poo poo at each other.

say what you want about 4chan, but without them, who would've sent the incredibly lovely wolf head and the 18" blue horse dildo fine art to Hussie's front door?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Having a scale that you use to measure different kinds of poo poo is for doctors and woodsmen. We're here to post about Homestuck, not about what websites you don't use that you hate.

Which of these conversation combos are you most looking forward to, if today's is any indication of their size?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Having a scale that you use to measure different kinds of poo poo is for doctors and woodsmen. We're here to post about Homestuck, not about what websites you don't use that you hate.

Which of these conversation combos are you most looking forward to, if today's is any indication of their size?

Without a doubt, Dave, Roxy & Rose. There's so much potential for stupid bullshit there, especially if Dave goes in all guns blazing on the "I'm not bothered if you bang my best friend" front.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So through all those :words: I was just sitting there going drat Dave just get to the point just tell him you're gay. But then he says he isn't gay? :shrug: I dunno maybe the point is once you're willing to snuggle up to an alien maybe human terms like that don't matter.

Also I basically just want to read about these fake teens sitting on this floating frog disk having conversations forever. Even discounting alternate timelines and all that it's strange to realize how little actual interaction many of them have had with each other. So many of the classic chatlogs of old were from that brief period back when they just started the game and there's been so much endless bullshit keeping them separated since.

edit: haha just had a thought. What if after all this build up about Dave embracing the troll way of thinking they turn out to be moirails? Isn't that basically the alignment for bros? The internet will collectively lose its poo poo and it will be glorious to behold. :munch:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Zoe posted:

So through all those :words: I was just sitting there going drat Dave just get to the point just tell him you're gay. But then he says he isn't gay? :shrug: I dunno maybe the point is once you're willing to snuggle up to an alien maybe human terms like that don't matter.

I think the implication was that he's always been gay/bi, when he corrects John on turned gay.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

WAR FOOT posted:

Without a doubt, Dave, Roxy & Rose. There's so much potential for stupid bullshit there, especially if Dave goes in all guns blazing on the "I'm not bothered if you bang my best friend" front.

Maybe we'll get Roxy-vision again.

"Name: Not Dirk
DO NOT MACK ON"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Equius is the only relatable character left in this drat shitshow....

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WAR FOOT posted:

You might say ... bad cess to us.

Bongo Bill posted:

Karkat, Kanaya, Vriska, because they all are pretty funny when they feel like it. Kanaya's deadpan against Karkat's and Vriska's voices should be great.

e: I think the point Dave is making is that he was never "straight", whatever that means, and that in practice he loves who he loves. A subset of Tumblr and Reddit are going apeshit over trying to make Dave/Karkat pale, meaning that they don't bump uglies, but I think Dave is saying that doesn't matter.

Basically, John is still doing that straight/homosexual divide and Dave is saying "whatever, using 'gay' as the opposite of 'masculine' is dumb, and furthermore 'masculine' is dumb." Which is what is so funny about people trying to rationalize how Dave is STRAIGHT STRAIGHT STRAIGHT or at least only pale with Karkat: Dave's saying "what the gently caress is this label about anyway".

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 1, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think via Davesprite and Jade's relationship in the previous timeline Dave's probably bisexual, an idea he's sidling up to even if he's not reaching for labels. If Davesprite survived that relationship might even happen again. But yeah he's definitely unloading a lot of unnecessary expectations now that civilization's destroyed and he mostly hangs out with aliens.

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm looking forward to Tavros, Vriska and Jake, partly because I have no idea what role Jake's going to play in that conversation - he seems pretty down, awkward or uncomfortable, and he'll probably stay that way at least until John talks to him at the end. I also want to see where Tavros and Vriska are at now, since in the previous timeline they went through this whole weird arc with Tavriska and Tavros wanting to marry her then developing some spine and mutiny-ing. He seemed pretty positive about Vriska when he chimed in earlier, but it's unclear how much they interacted over the last three years while he was in the dream bubbles and she was on the meteor.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zoe posted:

We use terms like gay or straight or bi to describe the incredibly complex and personal sexuality of wide swaths of the population, in a similar way to the way we use terms like nerd or hipster or jock to describe the personality and habits of groups.

But there are only eight humans left. What good is it to say, "Dave is Gay" instead of, "Dave is romantically attracted to Jade and Karkat," or whoever. He's not another scrub cracker rapper, because all the other scrub cracker rappers are dead. He's not an aloof rear end in a top hat, because the other aloof assholes are dead. He's not a grade school dropout, because all the grade schools have been blown up. He's not a Texan, because all the Texans were crushed by meteors.

Everyone is dead!

Now the kids have to decide who they are and how they feel about their tiny, tiny peer group on individual terms, instead of worrying about what label society will put on them, because society has been destroyed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mystic Mongol posted:

We use terms like gay or straight or bi to describe the incredibly complex and personal sexuality of wide swaths of the population, in a similar way to the way we use terms like nerd or hipster or jock to describe the personality and habits of groups.

But there are only eight humans left. What good is it to say, "Dave is Gay" instead of, "Dave is romantically attracted to Jade and Karkat," or whoever. He's not another scrub cracker rapper, because all the other scrub cracker rappers are dead. He's not an aloof rear end in a top hat, because the other aloof assholes are dead. He's not a grade school dropout, because all the grade schools have been blown up. He's not a Texan, because all the Texans were crushed by meteors.

Everyone is dead!

Now the kids have to decide who they are and how they feel about their tiny, tiny peer group on individual terms, instead of worrying about what label society will put on them, because society has been destroyed.

So it's sort of like the end of the Breakfast Club, except a post-apocalyptic creation myth.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > MSPaint Adventures - Homestuck Edition: it's sort of like the end of the Breakfast Club, except a post-apocalyptic creation myth.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Conversation I'm most looking forward too is all of them involving Terezi. Oh yes and Arquius.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dave's saying "what the gently caress is this label about anyway".

That's my take on it so far, yes.

But let me tell you something. Ever since I discovered what 'shippers' were, way back in the days when the original Avatar series was airing on Nick, I've discovered that there's nothing sweeter in all the world than their freshly bottled tears. So for that reason I just keep hoping absolutely no one gets the relationships they want or expect from any of the characters whatsoever and Hussie just keeps jerking his fans around forever.

Anyway in my headcanon I ship Dave and the Mayor and refuse to acknowledge anything else. Karkat will of course wind up in a black romance with Future Karkat.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Zoe posted:

But let me tell you something. Ever since I discovered what 'shippers' were, way back in the days when the original Avatar series was airing on Nick, I've discovered that there's nothing sweeter in all the world than their freshly bottled tears. So for that reason I just keep hoping absolutely no one gets the relationships they want or expect from any of the characters whatsoever and Hussie just keeps jerking his fans around forever.

The only thing better than destroyed ships is Vriska being happy, so Vriska being happy in an unpopular ship would cleave the fanbase in two cleaner than a Maryam's chainsaw lipstick.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, CidGregor, can you contact me? nothin' here I have a thing to pass on.

e: Happy Vriska/John and the universe EXPLODES. What? The ultimate BAD copulating with the ultimate WOOBIE?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 1, 2015

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm middle of the road about it. I think Dave is totally into dudes but I don't really read him and Karkat as anything more than a really weird and complicated friendship. ~if you were to ask me~

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DAVE: so lets all just sit back a while and shoot the poo poo
DAVE: and i do mean empty our clips into the poo poo, like really pump that turd full of lead

KARKAT: (WHY. WHY ARE THESE WORDS HAPPENING TO OUR CONVERSATION.)

I missed homostuck

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

if they were physically compatible (as in, karkat wasn't actually an alien insect) they'd totally be boning but not in a real relationship, imo

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

We're starting down a dark path here, thread.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

nerdbot posted:

I think Dave is totally into dudes

What dudes? There are no dudes! The world has been destroyed, twice!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Homestuck posted:

JOHN: i have to try as hard as i can to suppress this feeling and make sure i never think about it again!
DAVE: ok sounds like a weenie thing to do but sure have fun with that

How much have I missed Dave talking to John? Thiiiiiiiis much.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If we're not counting the offscreen reunion and their I think single conversation in Act 6, it has actually been more than three real years since John and Dave have talked. We basically lived out their separation in real-time.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

No wonder these logs are so sweet.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
there is some very good foreshadowing here

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Argh. Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is a migraine trigger with no reward, but I may have to read it. (Half the Homestuck flashes I have to watch with a hand over the center of the screen, but it's worth it. This is how addicted I am.)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

As I read on I started to think that maybe the lovely twist was that Dave was just talking about finally accepting that his bro was always gay as hell.

Also I saw this was quoted like three times already but I copied it as soon as I read it because I wanted to quote it so here it is again

quote:

JOHN: n... no!
KARKAT: A FAIR REBUTTAL. HOWEVER, CONSIDER THIS COUNTERPOINT:
KARKAT: Y... YES???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Blackheart posted:

As I read on I started to think that maybe the lovely twist was that Dave was just talking about finally accepting that his bro was always gay as hell.
It's much better than that. Dave has accepted that Bro was a horrible parent, that Bro was a horrible role model, and that Dave gets to make up his own definition of (A) being a man and (B) being a hero. I thought at the beginning of the 4/22 updates that Dave had just given up on heroing; it's looking like, in fact, Dave gave up on being other people's definition of a hero and began creating his own.