Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
The real way to play is as a group of mechanators that sit in the common room, playing pool, petting dogs, breathing in the constant 6 autobongs, and eating food as fast as it can be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does an autobong effect an adjacent room if there's an open vent between them?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Thread, post some interesting/challenging/thematic/fun/dumb unorthodox meme combinations for a colony.

Like:
Tunneler + Tree Connection: Build Bonzai Trees everywhere, and designate a grove just outside for Dryad trees.

Cannibal + Guilty: Help people in need, eat everyone else.

Pain is virtue + Transhumanist + Ritualist: Activate monolith, mutate everyone, they'll love it!

Tree Connection + Animal Personhood + High Life : Drug bears and dryads with Go Juice, make them do your fighting for you.

Transhumanist + Bloodfeeder + High Life: Your vampires are gonna be sleeping or drugged out like 50% of the time, but drat they're gonna be murdermachines when they're not!

Nature Primacy + Animal Personhood + Tree Connection (+ optional Nudism or Flesh Purity): Hippy Hard Mode

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Undergrounder + raider, with at least the UV penalty from biotech and some kind of resource limitation like not using the mushrooms or something. You're Morlocks from Time Machine. Living underground, emerging to raid because you have to for resources and hating every minute of it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

bird food bathtub posted:

Undergrounder + raider, with at least the UV penalty from biotech and some kind of resource limitation like not using the mushrooms or something. You're Morlocks from Time Machine. Living underground, emerging to raid because you have to for resources and hating every minute of it.
Sounds like a fun one, but I feel you might need the mod that lets you caravan at night.

Also reminds me of another one I'd like to try:
Nudist + Transhumanist + Raider, with a preferred funny hat. Only thing is you'd probably have to get your hands on Skin Hardening research ASAP.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

QuarkJets posted:

Last time I used them they have a set area and line of sight/temperature flow had nothing to do with it. That’s how the killbox mods worked, they were behind the walls.

Honestly autobongs suck for anything but rituals and maybe prisons so I haven’t used one in some time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What we really need is an autoyayo, you run through it on your way out of the armory like a holy powdery gateway into battle

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a colony with mandatory ritual facial scarring, assault rifles for everyone, and a once-per-day yayo requirement

e: probably a custom hussar-style xenotype with go-juice swapped out for psychite

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuarkJets posted:

It is much stupider than that. It affects a 5 tile radius that is not fully affected by walls. If there is a clear path between the bong and the other side of a wall, the smoke will teleport over the wall, but if there isn't it won't. So you put your bong in a nook at the front of your killbox attached to a long hallway.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Autobong#As_a_weapon

Technically there is a clear path between the entrance and the bong, so the smoke covers the entrance. If you stuck a door in that hallway the smoke would magically stop getting through the wall.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is much stupider than that. It affects a 5 tile radius that is not fully affected by walls. If there is a clear path between the bong and the other side of a wall, the smoke will teleport over the wall, but if there isn't it won't. So you put your bong in a nook at the front of your killbox attached to a long hallway.

Technically there is a clear path between the entrance and the bong, so the smoke covers the entrance. If you stuck a door in that hallway the smoke would magically stop getting through the wall.

that is loving hilarious

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the power of the smoke

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Mzbundifund posted:

The problem with just releasing DLC is your market is constantly shrinking.

I don't think that's true. The DLCs attract new players.

There should be primitive smokebombs and smokeleaf bombs. It'd also be cool to have placeable powder barrels that you could blow up with fire arrows. Bear traps that stunned enemies and hurt their legs instead of just murdering them would be cool too.

More prim/medieval content that isn't just overpowered or overdesigned gear would be great. We don't need 50 axes and viking helmets, just tools with unique mechanics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dart guns that fire syringes that inject smokeleaf.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you would "inject" it like kratom I guess (via the butthole)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mzbundifund posted:

The problem with just releasing DLC is your market is constantly shrinking. You will never have more DLC sales than you have base game owners, and of those, a diminishing percentage will buy the DLC each time. Releasing a sequel or new game is of course a bigger risk and a lot more work, but has a chance to reach a much bigger market, and you have to take that risk eventually or go out of business. I dunno if Ludeon’s next game will be Rimworld 2 or something completely different, but I would be very surprised if they haven’t been working on it already.

As several folks have said, despite the age of the game, the active Rimworld playerbase has grown over time, not shrunk. It hit its largest concurrent player number of all time on Steam last month. This is wildly impressive, considering Tynan is resistant to the concept of a sale over 10% and normally forever games rely on large discounts to juice player numbers.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There just really isn't anything else like Rimworld right now in terms of the combo of genre and accessibility. Add on how modding in this game is the easiest, most seamless modding I've ever seen and there's all sorts of things to keep new players coming in over time, yeah.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

QuarkJets posted:

What we really need is an autoyayo, you run through it on your way out of the armory like a holy powdery gateway into battle

hacked autobong with flake rocks, surely

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

A go-juice slip and slide that your dudes take on the way to the killbox.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Jack Trades posted:

Dart guns that fire syringes that inject smokeleaf.

I was really surprised biotech didn't give us toxic buildup blowdarts or knives.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

worm girl posted:

I was really surprised biotech didn't give us toxic buildup blowdarts or knives.

There are of course mods to let you fire scaria mortar shells at raiders.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Thoughts on Hellcat rifles? Much as I love the concept, having stats identical to an assault rifle but with worse range is kinda rough. The mini-burner doesn't seem to do that much damage, and stuff being on fire is always kind of spicy and chaotic since it removes collision.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They sound good for advanced combatants you trust to get in, flank briefly, and get out i.e. jumppacks/psycast skipping. Collision is forgivable when they're marching through open space. Lighting stuff on fire is a good option for anomalies.

I had a run with one of the advanced gun manufacturing company mods and gave a trio of fast xenos the crystal-needle smgs they specialize in once I was crafting past mid game. Hit and run is pretty fun after a steady diet of killbox or firing squad in one direction.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Thread, post some interesting/challenging/thematic/fun/dumb unorthodox meme combinations for a colony.

What I’m currently playing: modded dwarves who have improved craft quality, but also have 50% research speed, 50% construction speed, and 25% craft speed. I’ve focused in hard on mechanoid labor while using my pawns for combat, but I’m also learning the benefits of multiculturalism and maybe not converting captives away from their horrific original ideologies.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

QuarkJets posted:

corpse rot FOR SURE passes between vents btw

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Facebook Aunt posted:

lmao this is so drat dumb

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Facebook Aunt posted:

It looks dumb as hell but the programming behind it seems pretty clear, it checks if it's the same room (the game mechanic) and that's it. No complicated math every tick, just same room yes/no. That's why putting a door down stops it, because the game then considers it a different room. The end result is more of an exploit with room mechanics than autobong mechanics, but it means the autobong has a low performance overhead and functions properly in your ritual hotbox that may have constructions breaking up line of sight, like a wall.being used a support pillar.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
then they went ahead and added in something totally different for how rot stank works to make sure that vents can't filter it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kestral posted:

Thoughts on Hellcat rifles? Much as I love the concept, having stats identical to an assault rifle but with worse range is kinda rough. The mini-burner doesn't seem to do that much damage, and stuff being on fire is always kind of spicy and chaotic since it removes collision.

When you're facing down a zombie invasion you want incinerators, but incinerators are extremely situational. Hellcat rifles give you a middle ground that's almost as good as an assault rifle but let's you dump a gout of flame on some idiot/thing at will. They follow the standard Rimworld rules of items with abilities being slightly worse than items without abilities, e.g. recon armor provides more protection than locust armor but I always build locust armor for that sweet jump ability.

I'm not going to outfit my whole team with hellcat rifles but it seems really useful to have 2 or 3 pawns carrying them around

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The actual hardest part of any Rimworld colony is after you've finished setup and entered your map tile and have to figure out where you want to build for the first time. :negative:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and that's why you want Map Preview
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2800857642

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Doomykins posted:

They sound good for advanced combatants you trust to get in, flank briefly, and get out i.e. jumppacks/psycast skipping. Collision is forgivable when they're marching through open space. Lighting stuff on fire is a good option for anomalies.

I had a run with one of the advanced gun manufacturing company mods and gave a trio of fast xenos the crystal-needle smgs they specialize in once I was crafting past mid game. Hit and run is pretty fun after a steady diet of killbox or firing squad in one direction.

Agreed on hit-and-run, I'm back on a killboxless setup for Anomaly just to make everything that much more frantic for the Horror DLC Experience, and it's a good time. I full expect this run to get to the point where a killbox is not optional - I'm not Adam vs Everything, at some point I'll hit my limit - but for now it's nice to have these running battles in the field, and setting up bunker positions etc.

As for hellcats on advanced mobile combatants, hmm, you may have a point there. Maybe I just haven't run into an entity where the fire damage really matters - are the flesh-beasts ('spikes, etc) particularly vulnerable to fire? Because they sure don't seem to burn all that readily.

Kanos posted:

The actual hardest part of any Rimworld colony is after you've finished setup and entered your map tile and have to figure out where you want to build for the first time. :negative:

God, it's so real. Save me, planning mode!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

build in the centre of the map, op

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I always start inside the biggest building ruin, so I can have the largest building in the shortest amount of time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The issue is never picking a map, it's always picking where to build on the map. Building the base out once I've placed the first building is always easy because I've done it a million times, but the choice paralysis for where that first building goes is always murderous even after like 200 colonies.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Kestral posted:

As for hellcats on advanced mobile combatants, hmm, you may have a point there. Maybe I just haven't run into an entity where the fire damage really matters - are the flesh-beasts ('spikes, etc) particularly vulnerable to fire? Because they sure don't seem to burn all that readily.

None of them have any fire armor to speak of, which is especially important in the case of the metalhorrors who are otherwise very durable. Fire also disables revenant invisibility.

The real reason it's useful is that these are all melee threats which rush your lines and group up in big clumps, making it easy to splash damage many of them at once. The same applies to blind and vertigo pulse.

In fact, vertigo pulsing devourers will make them barf up your colonists.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 17, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm wondering if there are any good mods or starting scenario setups for popping into the game a little further than usual. We've all enjoyed the life or death struggle of piecing together a base and sowing rice to outrun the reaper but I decided to try a new game with a set of dev mode built basic structures and it turned out immensely satisfying. Kept things kind of deliberately lovely and unoptimal and didn't make structures for everything, left myself room to start improving and making a good midgame base.

I wanted to make an established sect of powerful elites serving a bloodfeeder before joining up with the empire and subjugating my neighbors. I usually end up spending hours getting to this point with a really nice base that can survive multiple attacks. This turns out to be such a thorough bit of Rimworlding I usually move on once I'm stable!

I want to procgen a more established faction and get to mid game antics, basically. Like being a baby SCP foundation with some starter cells and a little gunner squad. I know there are starter scenarios that'll give you the squad, at least? Especially from new races/storyteller mods. A game gen toggle that gave you a lovely pre-made base would be useful. There's a blueprints mod, maybe I can automate the dev mode building.

Hah, you could also probably dev mode caravan teleport to a faction and have a starting fight to clear them out, though you need a mod for NPC bases to not be criminally janky. :thunk:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So.. with the nudism "Fully nude" precept, you can't even choose a preferred headgear to wear, but in-game your pawns can wear hats without any mood penalty whatsoever. Seems like an oversight.

Shame, I wanted my nude raider colony to have, like, preferred authority caps or cowboy hats, but I guess I can always just designate them myself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

worm girl posted:

In fact, vertigo pulsing devourers will make them barf up your colonists.

That's so cool, can't believe I never thought of that!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Can't you make a clothes choice preference with your desired straps and mad max pervowear that just so perfectly matches? Prob a pain in the rear end of you got 83 pawns but once you set it up it's only 83 assign clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Can't you make a clothes choice preference with your desired straps and mad max pervowear that just so perfectly matches? Prob a pain in the rear end of you got 83 pawns but once you set it up it's only 83 assign clicks

Yeah you can make your own outfits and designate them, which is what I ended up doing, but then it's not really part of the ideology.

Also, I know Nudism is a challenge meme and all that, but I wish it at least gave some small mood buffs when nude instead of only mood debuffs when clothed.