Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Dugong posted:

That folding is going to put off a lot people that would consider getting them instead of Quiet Comforts for work flights. Then again, not many people are going on work flights at the moment so who knows. Gunna see some flexes on Zoom calls.

The QC700 also folds flat doesn't it?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Every decent set of Bluetooth headphones these days can pair with multiple devices and will connect to whichever one is on when you power it on.

I wouldn’t consider saving 15 seconds the first time you turn on the headphones for them to automatically pair with your device to be a terribly valuable feature.

The sony XM3 did not for whatever reason, and the re-pairing hoops necessary for that one are super obnoxious compared to what airpods do. Supposedly the XM4 adds 2 connections but I'm not giving sony money again just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My iPhone is an rear end in a top hat and keeps randomly showing me pictures of my ex when I swipe to the left screen (the dashboard I guess.) I don't see a "siri photos" type widget to delete, it just randomly appears. How do I stop this poo poo?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nitrousoxide posted:

Every decent set of Bluetooth headphones these days can pair with multiple devices and will connect to whichever one is on when you power it on.

I wouldn’t consider saving 15 seconds the first time you turn on the headphones for them to automatically pair with your device to be a terribly valuable feature.

I've lost considerably more time than 15 seconds with my QC35s just randomly making GBS threads out right before starting a conference call vs popping my AirPods in and they just work. The price is pretty ridiculous but who know maybe they're really good?

I'm probably going to pass or wait for a major price drop but they do look like pretty drat nice headphones.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If you're buying for convenience, just get the Pros at a fraction of the price. If you're buying for audio quality, buy literally any other competitive headphone at a fraction of the price

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

drat, 549 is way too expensive. It's so expensive I'm having trouble even figuring out the business play here. I wonder if adoption will pan out as much as they're hoping, or maybe at 549 the expected unit number doesn't have to be so much for R&D to get covered.

Their per-unit profit margins are definitely continuing to be some of the highest of any major company in history right?

I imagine we'll see a price drop within 1 year to $449, but still...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My iPhone is an rear end in a top hat and keeps randomly showing me pictures of my ex when I swipe to the left screen (the dashboard I guess.) I don't see a "siri photos" type widget to delete, it just randomly appears. How do I stop this poo poo?

press the "edit" button at the bottom of the widget panel and delete whatever widget is showing the photos. it's probably the "photos" one but who knows. i know you said it isn't a widget but it definitely is

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inner Light posted:

drat, 549 is way too expensive. It's so expensive I'm having trouble even figuring out the business play here. I wonder if adoption will pan out as much as they're hoping, or maybe at 549 the expected unit number doesn't have to be so much for R&D to get covered.

They're for people that spent $1400 on their phone this year. At only 40% the cost of a fully kitted 12 pro, the headphones are practically a steal!

quote:

Their per-unit profit margins are definitely continuing to be some of the highest of any major company in history right?

Of course, but people keep giving them money so why the gently caress not? Their design and integration is unmatched by anyone else so maybe that's what it costs to get that kind of quality.

(now if only the headphones sounded as good as their price point commands)

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Is she listed under "People & Places" in your Photos App?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it could be the "smart stack" widget. It's smart enough to cause you trauma.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

$

lmao, holy poo poo

For a bit whoever buys one will get insta mugged, esp as AirPods don’t have anti-theft disable like an iPhone. It’s a design too distinctive(I would call it awful but that’s subjective) to not get noticed by thieves.

For whoever says buy any other brand of Bluetooth audio, I have used bt headphones since A2DP was new and both enroll and usage has been various degrees of success(ranging from abysmal to barely decent). With the AirPods Pro I just got, I had more troubles getting to reliably hit the control buttons and to have them upgrade firmware (for enabling spatial audio) than to link devices or change iOS device to listen to. There is a distinct quality of life improvement, as long as you stay in Apple's walled garden, but even then at this price I feel like these AirPods cans will end up as mk.1 HomePod, decent product put at a too high/unrealistic price bracket.

Also given that Sony has just announced to shut down their Japanese audio device fab you should evaluating getting your Sony-branded BT devices now, best case scenario quality will decrease as they outsource production or worse shut down the product line entirely.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The AirPods Max case looks like a purse with tits

Edit: I suppose I am an unoriginal bastard

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/tech/1935137/apple-airpods-max-bra-looks-like/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rare miss-step from apple not selling the case separately for $99.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fund my kickstarter please, an airpods max theft prevention device which is an oversized handcuff that goes around your neck and chains to the headphones.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

Fund my kickstarter please, an airpods max theft prevention device which is an oversized handcuff that goes around your neck and chains to the headphones.

No, just teach them self defense.

https://youtu.be/dIhFU8JG_j0

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Inner Light posted:

I imagine we'll see a price drop within 1 year to $449, but still...

I think products like this and the display stand are not made for real people but are props for movies/tv shows/music videos to increase mindshare.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xzzy posted:

Just install this into the carry case, problem solved!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKxN9I_eRTs

I am not responsible for any new problems caused.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 8, 2020

ABCG
May 12, 2020

i plugged the phone into windows and deleted a bunch of old photos before migrating to a new phone to prevent this from happening, basically select every photos to delete and only unselect the ones i wanted to keep

also you can backup your photos by just copy and pasting, but at least it will be out of your phone and wont randomly show up anymore

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

$

lmao, holy poo poo

Is this one of those cases where the price is actually “ok” for the target audience which isn’t Everyday Joe? Like how everyone was saying lol $5000 monitor or lol $6000 Mac but those were designed and priced specifically for people who are going to expense it to their company and actually need the hardware? Like I’m just saying I’ve seen $500+ headphones on websites so the price doesn’t surprise me at all because I’m not Apple’s target here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this one of those cases where the price is actually “ok” for the target audience which isn’t Everyday Joe? Like how everyone was saying lol $5000 monitor or lol $6000 Mac but those were designed and priced specifically for people who are going to expense it to their company and actually need the hardware? Like I’m just saying I’ve seen $500+ headphones on websites so the price doesn’t surprise me at all because I’m not Apple’s target here.

Apple embracing the Veblen

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

enojy posted:

The AirPods Max case looks like a purse with tits

Edit: I suppose I am an unoriginal bastard

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/tech/1935137/apple-airpods-max-bra-looks-like/

I've been laughing at the case all day, it's so ridiculous.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this one of those cases where the price is actually “ok” for the target audience which isn’t Everyday Joe?
No. Audiophiles aren't buying wireless headphones, and there's plenty of much cheaper wireless, noise-cancelling, over-the-ear headphones that sound totally good to anyone who doesn't self-identify as an audiophile.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
New glitch: Apple Music overrides the play/pause tap on my powerbeats, regardless if there's another app playing something (like Pocketcasts).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Probably? We won't know till people actually have them to compare. Most people will grab the cheaper but probably almost as good Sony's.I suspect these will sound better, and apple pairing is better than regular blue tooth pairing. (I have both AirPods and sony over the ear, to compare.) I think the design looks modern-retro, which will for sure be a major tech trend for the early 2020's. In other words, I actually think these will do better than most people expect, but a sport version in six months for $300 will be the truly killer product. For everyone saying they can get $600 better headphones from Drop, these are not for those consumers.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Why’d they remove the scroll wheel when picking the time in clock.app?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A big part of the appeal of airpods is that they fit into the cute little capsule, while being good sounding and convenient - those benefits outweigh the high cost. These don't do that. No folding means they can't be tossed into a bag, the case is loving bizarre looking.

I've never truly got the enthusiasm for wireless cans, most activities where you need headphones on are stationary. At work, on transit, or watching a movie. $899 AUD is a lot of money. I don't know anyone who was holding out the Apple spin on this product. $899 would get you some airpods pro and some wireless Sony/Sennheiser/Whomst'ever's with money left over.

Even as a "Pro" device that's not meant for consumers, like the XDR, I don't see these being used in studios or for performance. The wireless lag is just not worth it.

These really might be targeted only at people who flex at airports.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

glassyalabolas posted:

Is she listed under "People & Places" in your Photos App?
There are loads of pictures of her and of us together, I'm sure she is.

ABCG posted:

i plugged the phone into windows and deleted a bunch of old photos before migrating to a new phone to prevent this from happening, basically select every photos to delete and only unselect the ones i wanted to keep

also you can backup your photos by just copy and pasting, but at least it will be out of your phone and wont randomly show up anymore
Yeah this is probably what I need to do. :sigh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Depths posted:

Why’d they remove the scroll wheel when picking the time in clock.app?

You can still scroll within the new field if you really want to. I find typing it a lot faster though. I just end up using the scroll for small increments.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LionArcher posted:

In other words, I actually think these will do better than most people expect, but a sport version in six months for $300 will be the truly killer product.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t know whose heads those Beats headphones are designed for because they have clamping pressure that would split a watermelon

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Delete her "person" from that section. Hopefully it'll stop rotating her.

e: there's also an option to suggest this person less.

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 9, 2020

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Boris Galerkin posted:

The problem I see is - where’s the market? Audiophiles will spend $$ on cans but they’re not going to buy this. No way an average Joe spends this when the Bose and Sony offerings are <300. This is like, maybe celebrity status and not much else.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think you guys are really underestimating apples fanbase and how much these will sell

Yeah, they’re expensive. Yeah, they aren’t audiophile quality. Yes, beats exist.

They’re still going be sold out day one

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

btw I have a three month Apple trial code I got with my TV if anyone would like (new sub only)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

You can long/hardpress on a memory in Photos and do "suggest less like this." In my case it just asked if I wanted to suggest less memories of my ex, which is perfect.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is spacial audio headphones an Apple thing? Or are there other competitors on the market?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

edit ^^^ I think my several years old sony h.earONs do it? they work with Tidal's '3D Audio' thing and it's pretty neat

got my new 12 pro yesterday and this morning I wake to an email from my carrier saying I went 6 GB over my 3 GB data limit with most of the billing period still remaining. turns out the phone managed to use 6 GB of data for the ~45 minutes I was out of the house, apparently downloading every song I'd ever purchased in itunes, despite the fact that I didn't have that enabled??? this was after it was on and connected to wifi in my house for hours and all apps had downloaded. I haven't used more than 2gb since March. luckily xfinity mobile let me switch to their lovely "unlimited" mid-billing period so I'm only paying an extra $15 this month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you hide photos of your ex, it shouldn't show them at all.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think you guys are really underestimating apples fanbase and how much these will sell

Yeah, they’re expensive. Yeah, they aren’t audiophile quality. Yes, beats exist.

They’re still going be sold out day one

There are plenty of Apple products that at least start overpriced and don’t sell. Hell, just look at the HomePod.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cozmosis posted:

There are plenty of Apple products that at least start overpriced and don’t sell. Hell, just look at the HomePod.

which still hasn't dropped in price, god drat. I just want a 2nd one for the living room but god drat even at $200 (its sale price) it feels expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfmeb2e_kb4

Most of the stuff Marques covers is pretty well-accepted, that Apple will remove the Lightning port and explain it away with more space, possibly for an in-screen fingerprint reader, but are there enterprise or developer concerns around removing the data port? I could see a big problem for content creators is how to transfer photos and video to your computer for editing.