Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
People who work with 200 layer photoshop files need all the help they can get.

Also is the photoshop arm build as optimized as the x86?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

sometimes weird stuff like this does matter. i keep opening my ipad with magic keyboard attached backwards, because most laptops have the thick part at the bottom and you lift the screen up from that - with the ipad assembly it's the reverse, so i have to double check myself before i wreck myself.

Sounds tough, man.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

Sounds tough, man.

look if i can't complain about 1st world problems here, then where

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mu Zeta posted:

Just a wild guess here but maybe the iMac and Mac Mini updates have to do with supply chain issues. I love the idea of a mega powerful mac mini since I already have a non-Apple 4k display.

Apple buys fab capacity in bulk years in advance. Doesn't mean they aren't affected, but they basically will always be toward the very front of the queue.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

look if i can't complain about 1st world problems here, then where

It's true, this is the thread where I come to whine about HDMI 2.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuV0mbdqi4

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm trying to think of a real or imagined scenario where the thickness matters.

That’s not what your mom said. :v:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

I actually use Affinity photo now, and it is optimized.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/photoshop-on-apple-m1-macbook-50-faster-than-on-intel-models-adobe-says/

About 50% faster than x86.

Edit: 80%+ on average.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 20, 2021

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm trying to think of a real or imagined scenario where the thickness matters.

They make a computer for people who want a thin and light laptop. It's called the MBA (macbook amateur)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

those premiere benchmarks oh baby

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Pumped to start using a macbook pro as my DAW once again. Really prefer just being able to set up wherever I want rather than be forced to sit at my desk. Also new high impedance headphone jack means I can use 600 ohm headphones without an amp, so the only other thing I would need is a MIDI controller.
Have they specified what they mean when they claim support for high impedance headphones? I’ve googled but haven’t found anything.

I definitely don’t need one of these Pros but I am very tempted.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Xabi posted:

Have they specified what they mean when they claim support for high impedance headphones? I’ve googled but haven’t found anything.

I definitely don’t need one of these Pros but I am very tempted.

Just says that it detects and adjusts for high impedance headphones. I'll test it with my Beyerdynamic T1s next Tuesday and report back.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I’m having a tough time picking a configuration to go with. I’m not at all a “pro” user and a MacBook Air would probably be fine, but I have the money for a pro, I like the screen and looks of it, and I keep my laptops for a very long time. I’m coming from a 2012 MacBook Air and would like to keep this new pro for 6-10 years if possible.

Everyone is saying things like if you don’t know why you need 32GB ram, or the M1 Max, then you don’t need it. I know I can’t make use of that power now - but would they help keep the laptop comfortable 5 years down the road? Or is the extra power/cores/ram always wasted if I’m not doing production tasks on it?

I guess I don’t understand if the comments of “you’ll never use it” are like people saying you don’t need 1GB of ram in 1999, or if it’s more like buying extra functionality that regular tasks and the OS will actually never make use of. Like buying 5 fax machines when I only send 2 pages every other day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tenacious J posted:

I’m having a tough time picking a configuration to go with. I’m not at all a “pro” user and a MacBook Air would probably be fine, but I have the money for a pro, I like the screen and looks of it, and I keep my laptops for a very long time. I’m coming from a 2012 MacBook Air and would like to keep this new pro for 6-10 years if possible.

Everyone is saying things like if you don’t know why you need 32GB ram, or the M1 Max, then you don’t need it. I know I can’t make use of that power now - but would they help keep the laptop comfortable 5 years down the road? Or is the extra power/cores/ram always wasted if I’m not doing production tasks on it?

I guess I don’t understand if the comments of “you’ll never use it” are like people saying you don’t need 1GB of ram in 1999, or if it’s more like buying extra functionality that regular tasks and the OS will actually never make use of. Like buying 5 fax machines when I only send 2 pages every other day.

unless some kind of major architecture shakeup comes in the future, rendering your high end computer parts obsolete because they simply don’t have the components that these hypothetical new machines do (ie video encoders in Apple Silicon/A-Series chips vs CPU/GPU in “beefier” x86 machines), yes a more powerful machine now will probably be more capable and fresh-feeling in the future.

My 2013 MBP still feels fresh, relatively speaking, in 2021 because I got p much the highest spec when it hit the refurb store in early 2014. So when dual core CPUs started being left behind in earnest and quad-core became the new base, my MBP was still within the pack. And 16gb of RAM is still quite solid, whereas I might be feeling the pinch of 8gb of RAM from 2013 right now. Honestly the wall I’m finally starting to hit now is storage. It took me a decade but 512gb is juuuust about starting to be too little for me.

generally the things that make a computer last these days are storage and RAM. If you can maximize those you’ll generally have the easiest time stretching your Mac’s life.

And don’t let anybody shame you for spending an additional $1k-2k on a computer that you’ll use every day for years. Home computers used to cost $3000, $4000, $5000, $10000 easy and lots of our parents/grandparents shelled that kind of money out, often with much more frequency than we do now.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 20, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Save that extra 1-2k and put it toward a new computer in 4-5 years instead of 6-10 years. Most people will probably need 32 gigs in 5 years but you also get the cool new poo poo if you get a new computer. It's probably just going to be more dongles but still.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The M1 air is pretty great still. I recommend getting 16GB of RAM at least though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Save that extra 1-2k and put it toward a new computer in 4-5 years instead of 6-10 years.

that’s fair

worth noting that I didn’t fail to upgrade my MBP for 7 years because of money. It was because I didn’t want a 2016-2020 MBP

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hatty posted:

The M1 air is pretty great still. I recommend getting 16GB of RAM at least though

I wouldn’t get one of these now if there’s probably an update on the horizon in 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

unless some kind of major architecture shakeup comes in the future, rendering your high end computer parts obsolete because they simply don’t have the components that these hypothetical new machines do (ie video encoders in Apple Silicon/A-Series chips vs CPU/GPU in “beefier” x86 machines), yes a more powerful machine now will probably be more capable and fresh-feeling in the future.

My 2013 MBP still feels fresh, relatively speaking, in 2021 because I got p much the highest spec when it hit the refurb store in early 2014. So when dual core CPUs started being left behind in earnest and quad-core became the new base, my MBP was still within the pack. And 16gb of RAM is still quite solid, whereas I might be feeling the pinch of 8gb of RAM from 2013 right now. Honestly the wall I’m finally starting to hit now is storage. It took me a decade but 512gb is juuuust about starting to be too little for me.

generally the things that make a computer last these days are storage and RAM. If you can maximize those you’ll generally have the easiest time stretching your Mac’s life.

And don’t let anybody shame you for spending an additional $1k-2k on a computer that you’ll use every day for years. Home computers used to cost $3000, $4000, $5000, $10000 easy and lots of our parents/grandparents shelled that kind of money out, often with much more frequency than we do now.

This is good advice.

Bottom line, if you do any kind of work on these machines (photoshop, video editing, coding) it's so much easier to buy big now and go home.

I don't need 32 gigs right now. But I very may will in the next year or two.

Then it just comes down to storage. 1TB is what I think is safe, but that 2TB makes it feel like I could keep the machine an extra year or two.

On the other hand, since I am a desktop and laptop user, there's an argument for doing something like getting an air beefed up, and then buying a mini when they get the new chips. You end up spending an extra grand over just a single 14 inch, but that gives you more flexibility.

Edited because I don't consider it doomerism but thats' fine and it's not thread relevant.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 20, 2021

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wouldn’t get one of these now if there’s probably an update on the horizon in 2022

Meh, there's always gonna be an update on the horizon. If maximizing performance is a real concern, the Air is not the machine to buy.

LionArcher posted:

Also keep in mind the world is going to look drastically worse for everyone in about 10-15 years, except for the very richest. So having a good computer now while things are still "good" that lasts you till things get really bad and then you can upgrade one more time before things completely fall apart is probably cheaper in the long run? (that's future predicting and dumb but I'm doing it a tad).
I thought this was a bit and then I saw who posted it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mu Zeta posted:

Save that extra 1-2k and put it toward a new computer in 4-5 years instead of 6-10 years. Most people will probably need 32 gigs in 5 years but you also get the cool new poo poo if you get a new computer. It's probably just going to be more dongles but still.

But if in 4-5 years, they could have just needed 32 GB or whatever, and now are essentially replacing an otherwise capable machine, that's just contributing to more e-waste.

LionArcher posted:

Also keep in mind the world is going to look drastically worse for everyone in about 10-15 years, except for the very richest. So having a good computer now while things are still "good" that lasts you till things get really bad and then you can upgrade one more time before things completely fall apart is probably cheaper in the long run? (that's future predicting and dumb but I'm doing it a tad).

Well if we're prognosticating now... but please don't bring climate doomerism into the thread (sorry mods, I'll eat the probation).

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 20, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The ewaste isn't too bad assuming you can just sell it to someone else who can presumablyl use it longer. It shouldn't be immediately recycled. And you get the shiny new thing.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SourKraut posted:

But if in 4-5 years, they could have just needed 32 GB or whatever, and now are essentially replacing an otherwise capable machine, that's just contributing to more e-waste.

Well if we're prognosticating now... but please don't bring climate doomerism into the thread (sorry mods, I'll eat the probation).

You were kind about this, and I hope no mods make you eat the prob. I edited my post to delete that part, and your first point (32 gigs really could keep a machine going a lot longer) is more what I was going for anyway.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

BlackMK4 posted:

The internet is filled with people that would find something to complain about even if they lived in a complete fantasy world

"Yeah, you know, after the 200th elf chick who came knocking at my door naked, ready to bang me, I would like this world to have less lust for my manhood… Yeah, I would basically like to go back to my office and do actual work again."

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The polishing cloth is backordered for 2-3 months. You guys aren't allowed to use your new Macs yet.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll buy the polishing cloth off the refurb store in six months, looks great!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm so glad Apple lets you subscribe to Applecare+ indefinitely - I'd much rather pay $99 a year for MacBook coverage over a one-time 3-year agreement that eventually runs out. Maybe it's a good thing I'll have an excuse to eventually upgrade to an M1X, though.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/MichaelSteeber/status/1450858608049152006

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

I'm so glad Apple lets you subscribe to Applecare+ indefinitely - I'd much rather pay $99 a year for MacBook coverage over a one-time 3-year agreement that eventually runs out. Maybe it's a good thing I'll have an excuse to eventually upgrade to an M1X, though.

Holy poo poo its like "forever"? I though they'd eventually kick you off after the 3rd year. If you buy an apple stuff through an enterprise applecare you can get 4 years, but I'll keep this train going for roughly the cost amazon prime (goodbye amazon prime).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

incoherent posted:

Holy poo poo its like "forever"? I though they'd eventually kick you off after the 3rd year. If you buy an apple stuff through an enterprise applecare you can get 4 years, but I'll keep this train going for roughly the cost amazon prime (goodbye amazon prime).

I think it's until they stop making parts for whatever device it is, yeah.

They also started letting people switch over to an annual plan after their fixed-term plans expire. You can sign up for an annual plan if you do it within 30 days of the end of your fixed-term coverage.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kreeblah posted:

I think it's until they stop making parts for whatever device it is, yeah.

It's also likely that it's a combination of what's left in inventory and parts that have been reconditioned (like returned logic boards that have undergone component-level repair like Rossman does all the time.) I've never heard of Apple actually comissioning a vendor to re-manufacture parts for a particular Mac once it's been declared vintage.. but having said that:

A few months ago I was asked by a friend if he should try to get Apple to repair an old 2012 pre-Retina MBP and I told him try taking it to a Fruit Stand and was surprised when he came back and said they replaced the logic board and LCD assembly and it was fine.. but I knew of another guy who brought in his 2014 rMBP to that same Fruit Stand and was told he was poo poo out of luck.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Isn’t it CA law for companies like Apple to stock replacements for 10yrs?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The secret is that computer development in hardware and software moved super fast in that first period but much slower in the 2nd period so even tho they are close in duration the felt difference is more

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Isn’t it CA law for companies like Apple to stock replacements for 10yrs?

It's their Lemon Law that states a manufacturer has to keep spare parts for any electronic product for seven years from its date of manufacture.

Hence the distinction between Vintage and Discontinued that Apple makes for products on its defunct list..

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

glassyalabolas posted:

At least it's made of aluminum still.

Directly into my veins

Gay Retard posted:

What? I just bought an iphone and this was never mentioned, only the 2 year extension, how does this work

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 21, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Directly into my veins

What? I just bought an iphone and this was never mentioned, only the 2 year extension, how does this work

It's an option to play monthly for apple care on all their devices. I do it for my SE watch, my SE phone, and my iPad air. Probably not all, I don't know about the XDR screen.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 21, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

It's their Lemon Law that states a manufacturer has to keep spare parts for any electronic product for seven years from its date of manufacture.

Hence the distinction between Vintage and Discontinued that Apple makes for products on its defunct list..

Hmm not sure how this works when you can just say "I stocked 1x of each part and I've run out sorry" at year 2 or whatever. Unless the law compels them to go back to manufacturing to make more parts. Or fine?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Any fine of less than a billion dollars is such pocket change to apple that its the price of doing business

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If anyone is an employee and reading this could you please post when the m1x macbook pros become open to buy internally? Namaste my guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Counterpoint to all the ppl buying a ton of ram. I run a kubernetes cluster with istio locally on my work laptop with 16gb and it’s fine. Also run both brave and chrome, vscode and 3 flavors of intellij.

Either the ram is enough or the ssd swap speed is fast enough to not matter. And these new laptops have the new pcie4 super fast ssds.

I say unless you really need to hold something fully in memory like 4k+ video, extremely large photoshop projects, or a massive redis store, 16 seems plenty.

The year to year improvements in apple silicon chips make me want to switch to a faster upgrade cycle, at least until they stop showing double digit performance gains every year.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 21, 2021