Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
:siren: Save Our Ship 2 is updated and back on Steam :siren:

After two years they've done it, and the changelog is huge. This looks awesome, and is definitely going to be my next run.

Some highlights:

SOS2 Changelog Excerpts posted:

- Starting in space is now much more forgiving, with starting ship research unlocked.
- Shuttles are now powered by Vehicle Framework, having all new hover modes with weapons and upgrades.
- Upgraded shuttles can now play various roles in combat, from intercepting torpedoes to strafing the enemy ship with plasma cannons. They’re vulnerable to point defense, however!
- Docking clamps allow ships to dock together.
- Holograms have been replaced by formgels - swarms of mechanites which mimic human biology. Formgels can eat, sleep, travel the world, do anything a living person could. They’re also much more mod-compatible!
- Interplanetary travel now functions as a New Game+, quite literally saving your ship to a file (veterans of SoS1 will be familiar with this method). It can be loaded via a scenario element when starting a new game.
- Ship Combat is much more balanced, with better HUD and ability to actively vent coolant - removing all heat, but also reducing the heatsinks’ max capacity for the rest of combat.
- Substantially improved performance overall, especially in combat.
- Better compatibility with various popular mods.
- More resilience against future base game updates.
- Improved Save Our Ship Creation Kit, so making your own ship packs is easier and more featured.
- Paint ship hulls!
- Ship turrets now work on the ground, so landed ships are no longer sitting ducks!
- Better integration with Biotech, adding genes for vacuum survival and a natural cryptosleep cocoon, along with a Gremlin xenotype that shows off both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
That is a surprisingly quick reaction to 1.5. Did they get the same pre-access as VE?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CommunityEdition posted:

That is a surprisingly quick reaction to 1.5. Did they get the same pre-access as VE?

Uncertain, but they've been working behind the scenes on updating SOS2 for basically two years straight, encountering some pretty significant setbacks as DLCs come out and the original team goes off to make their own game. Maybe Anomaly was finally the DLC that didn't push the reset button on their work, and they were able to get ahead of things? No idea, but you're right, it's shockingly fast. And considering the scope of SOS2, it's basically another DLC that just dropped.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 18, 2024

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Didn't SoS2 spend like, all of 1.4 being worked on?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Broken Cog posted:

Shame, I wanted my nude raider colony to have, like, preferred authority caps or cowboy hats, but I guess I can always just designate them myself.

Ram Ranch really rocks!

There's also the naked speed gene, you could make a custom nude cowboy xenotype.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

worm girl posted:

Ram Ranch really rocks!

There's also the naked speed gene, you could make a custom nude cowboy xenotype.

Naked Speed
Heat Tolerant
Psychic Bonding
Strong Shooting
Strong Animals
Alcohol Dependency

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

death cob for cutie posted:

Didn't SoS2 spend like, all of 1.4 being worked on?

Yep, but worked on veeeeery slooooowly since the core team was spending most of their efforts on their own as-yet-unreleased game. There was an unstable beta that was mostly playable but had some spicy bugs and mod conflicts. There's a new team on board now, getting occasional contributions from the originals, so it looks like it might be able to keep up with patches!

Unrelated, is there a point to giving ghouls more than one power claw, or is it better to shove a venom talon or something into them once you've got the power claw attack running? (Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good guide to melee verbs so I can figure this out myself, I'd love to see it)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I saw someone advocate giving them one power claw and replacing the other hand with a wooden hand (if you just chop it off it regrows, but a wooden hand prevents this). That way they can't use the scratch attack and are forced to always power claw.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Can't you make a clothes choice preference with your desired straps and mad max pervowear that just so perfectly matches? Prob a pain in the rear end of you got 83 pawns but once you set it up it's only 83 assign clicks

You can click and drag on the assign page and the schedule page. So set it up once, assign to one pawn, then click and drag down the list.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kestral posted:

Yep, but worked on veeeeery slooooowly since the core team was spending most of their efforts on their own as-yet-unreleased game. There was an unstable beta that was mostly playable but had some spicy bugs and mod conflicts. There's a new team on board now, getting occasional contributions from the originals, so it looks like it might be able to keep up with patches!

Unrelated, is there a point to giving ghouls more than one power claw, or is it better to shove a venom talon or something into them once you've got the power claw attack running? (Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good guide to melee verbs so I can figure this out myself, I'd love to see it)

Double power claws is the optimal ghoul setup for max DPS. If you can't afford double power claws, one power claw and a wooden hand is optimal, because the wooden hand is so lovely that it pushes it off the melee verb table so the ghoul will stick to the power claw.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

new stupidest gimmick xenotype, the gut worms got tired of being tended and are back for REVENGE

i gave them sanguophage powers cause I figure parasites are also vampires and maybe the gutworms ate archites or something idk

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wait, people use ghouls for damage? Mine get a nuclear stomach, ghoul plating and a hearty pat on the back before being told to go stand in the corpse freezer until they're called on to go stand in front of a bullet. I let my chromed out drug hazed murder hobos with persona Zeus hammers and stuff do damage.

I have recently started giving my ghoul volunteers custom xenogerms before ghoul-ization. Some really useful genes out there and piling on enough "the ghoul that has 0% speech is also bad at Social" is nice for even more meat reduction. Mostly that only happens because making a gene line is cheap though. I don't invest a lot in them, their job is to die slowly and cheaply.

Edit; Also, poo poo yeah, SoS 2. Gonna download that so hard.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

My Captain Planet villain run is going well. My neighbours keep sending people to visit our toxic hellhole and experience our culture, they leave riddled with tumours and a crippling meth addiction, but had a great time.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the first of the new generation of mega worms has been born, its oddly cute seeing it carried along like that even if it did just burst out of a prisoners chest

unfortunately right after this the caveman who came to stay with us decided to betray the greatworm alliance and tried a very literal 'kill it with fire' on the poor baby

after i tried so hard to get them to take those loving rocks out of the barracks and everything

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

it’s ok and fully legal to kill someone if they set your baby flesh worm on fire, imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Wait, people use ghouls for damage? Mine get a nuclear stomach, ghoul plating and a hearty pat on the back before being told to go stand in the corpse freezer until they're called on to go stand in front of a bullet. I let my chromed out drug hazed murder hobos with persona Zeus hammers and stuff do damage.

I have recently started giving my ghoul volunteers custom xenogerms before ghoul-ization. Some really useful genes out there and piling on enough "the ghoul that has 0% speech is also bad at Social" is nice for even more meat reduction. Mostly that only happens because making a gene line is cheap though. I don't invest a lot in them, their job is to die slowly and cheaply.

Ghoul damage is quite good, even without bionics. If it's going to be in combat soaking hits then it may as well be fighting

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Yeah, if you're at the point where you've got multiple chromed out melee gods on go-juice with persona weapons, ghouls are probably not super important. My ghouls are meant primarily for keeping damage off of a colony that is hilariously fragile compared to where we should be by this stage of the game, but damage output is a form of damage mitigation too: dead enemies can't attack, and if you're killing things you can proceed to lock up other things in melee so they can't do any harm to "real" colonists. Movement speed, likewise, very important for my ghouls because they have to be in the right place at the right time to protect a colony with an inordinately high number of valuable pawns who are Incapable of Violence.

Current most important ghoul duty though? Babysitter. The highmate kid is rapidly becoming a god-pawn and is insanely valuable to the colony, and since I don't have any mantis shrimps randomly self-taming, bonding to children, and getting equipped with spinal mounted artillery in this run, some fairly specific zoning now causes little Aster to be accompanied on her nature walks by twitching, chattering undead. A Very Normal Childhood.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Want to rename my ghoul Thrumbo Slayer, I just wish he would wear the hat I made for him

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

it’s ok and fully legal to kill someone if they set your baby flesh worm on fire, imo

fortunately the baby was saved and has now been given toys

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

George Sex - REAL posted:

As far as Ghouls go, they can get extremely powerful just off genetics/ghoul specific implants and I don't think will ever crack 600 pawn value. Start adding prosthetics, like power claws or nuclear stomachs and watch their pawn value skyrocket. Triple or quadruple with just a few. That isn't good for efficiently dealing with encounters.

They are extremely raid point efficient without implants. They seem to go in the other direction once you start applying regular implants.

With all the ghoul talking occurring and after having done a few ghoul heavy runs, I feel the need to repeat the basic advice above. In my last game I had ~15 ghouls, none of which had a pawn value of over 300 due to a custom xenogerm I was applying to each ghoul.

The strength of the ghoul is that they can be made a strong, fast, tanky melee pawn requiring very little upkeep and maybe most importantly, contributing very little raid points. Thus, they offer a lot of defense for very little trade off.

If you want to scale up ghoul contribution, the trick is really quantity.

The quality you can build in comes in the form of ghoul specific prosthetics, as for whatever reason they add basically no value and a xenogerm, as not only do they add utility but they also further reduce pawn value if done right.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

George Sex - REAL posted:

The strength of the ghoul is that they can be made a strong, fast, tanky melee pawn requiring very little upkeep and maybe most importantly, contributing very little raid points. Thus, they offer a lot of defense for very little trade off.

If you want to scale up ghoul contribution, the trick is really quantity.

So now there are not one but two DLC minions clowning on Gauranlen.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ghouls are most useful for taking hits and blocking melee foes, but with Ghoul Barbs and a Power Claw they easily one-shot lightly-armored foes, fingerspikes, shamblers, and other things that attack in large numbers. You don't even need that much, but the upgrades definitely improve the chance of their first hit being fatal so they can move on to the next.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Careful if you're gonna have a ghoul army. They actually eat quite a lot of meat, so if you don't have a steady supply you might find yourself running out faster than you'd expect.

Nuclear Stomach, and the Fleshmass Nucleus can help, but even that can't keep up when you have multiple.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Broken Cog posted:

Careful if you're gonna have a ghoul army. They actually eat quite a lot of meat, so if you don't have a steady supply you might find yourself running out faster than you'd expect.

Nuclear Stomach, and the Fleshmass Nucleus can help, but even that can't keep up when you have multiple.

Do they get cryptosleep sickness? Storing a bunch in an ancient danger would be pretty neat.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

worm girl posted:

Do they get cryptosleep sickness? Storing a bunch in an ancient danger would be pretty neat.

I'm probably dumb but when I tried to pit a ghoul in one I couldn't figure out how to actually do it. They also have to be "arrested" and dragged along to join a caravan. They kinda seem to do a lot of their own things.

Nuclear stomach, maxed metabolic efficiency with "poor social, awful plants" and so on, you can get their dietary needs down really low. Get in to some mods and it gets crazy low. I actually had to set up the corpse trees as overflow after my 8x8 ghoul freezer maxed out on corpses.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need someone with passable Melee to make s good ghoul, right? Doesn’t that make it harder to mass them?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

You need someone with passable Melee to make s good ghoul, right? Doesn’t that make it harder to mass them?

Nothing a good gene line can't solve! Plug in great melee, unstoppable, melee damage increase and enough "bad at cooking" to max out their metabolism efficiency then ghoulify away! Free points from a good volunteer does help but isn't mandatory.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Lone Badger posted:

If you want them to do damage, sure, but if you just need them to tank it doesn't really matter. Though a ghoul without tough can go down surprisingly fast.
Metalblood can rectify that, if you're careful not to let them get set on fire

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also because they regenerate so fast you can make someone who's not good at melee, passable at it just by getting them into fights with things that can't kill them outright in one blow.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fun thing i found out re: ghouls today - if anyone's using Allow Tool, your ghouls may not be displaying a melee skill due to a bug in the mod. there is apparently a fix available via workshop searching

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

The Lone Badger posted:

Not really. Just make them go melee animals on the map whenever they get hungry. Start with small/weak ones. The first four ranks come really fast and make a huge difference.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

fun thing i found out re: ghouls today - if anyone's using Allow Tool, your ghouls may not be displaying a melee skill due to a bug in the mod. there is apparently a fix available via workshop searching

I've been playing without it but I'm still very sad about this. A lot of Allow Tool's functionality has been integrated into vanilla so it's not that necessary anymore, but I still badly miss the Finish Off and Haul Urgently commands.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My anomaly research start began with realizing that you can have the ghoul go "hunt" animals, either to consume (squirrels, racoons, rats) or for other people to haul back (anything else). It's a good way to make use of a pawn that can't really do anything else, and training melee skill is the cherry on top

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Another thing you can do is stuff prisoners or animals in the free caskets you get from the ancient danger and crack 'em open if your boys get too hungry. It's not hard to find a couple of downed jerks after a raid to put on ice.

Skip abduction and animal/fleshbeast summoning is also good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Since Ghouls can eat twisted meat you can presumably span Provoke Fleshbeasts and let them feed themselves.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You can stuff ghouls into cryptosleep caskets, but you have to anesthetize them first and then have another pawn chuck them in, and once you let them out they're still affected by cryptosleep sickness and anesthesia, though they seem to recover from it faster than normal colonists. They're not super great in cases of extreme emergencies, but for cases where you have some time to spare (like a mech cluster or something), it might be worth keeping a few ghouls on ice.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it just me or do ghouls not seem to lose limbs?
At least mine always seems to die before actually having any arms or legs destroyed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Is it just me or do ghouls not seem to lose limbs?
At least mine always seems to die before actually having any arms or legs destroyed.

You're probably just not noticing, since they grow back almost immediately.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The only real issue I've had in terms of keeping ghouls fed is caravans. I have a warehouse full of raider corpses and twisted meat to feed my little horde, but there's only so long you can keep raw meat fresh on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Finally settled on a game setup that grips me. Adjusted the Mechanitor start to add two ghouls, a tunneler and dev mode a medium charger for him. I don't use the big boy to fight, only to excavate the map passively. Adds some constraint to early power and using multiple wood generators as steady or back up power.

Has been pretty fun to do the solo mad scientist and the evil lair with humble beginnings. There's a lot to pursue in research for high tech, dark rituals and meching up. Makes each recruit very meaningful too.

It is a little cheesy but the tedium of mass mining with a single colonist seemed a good point of compromise, the scientist has high passion for research and... animals. The rest of the skills are hard earned from a starting point of 0-3. And a mere baseliner too! Genetic enhancements will have to be earned and mad science'd in or recruited for!

Managing the ghoul hunger is amusing as well as their limits in combat, they're strong but drop dead instantly if you engage poorly. Gets tense when food is low and the only animals on the map are large packs that can aggro together.