Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Caricatures are good and so is colonialism. If the third world doesn't like it they can stop appropriating our culture of industrial production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Caricatures are good and so is colonialism. If the third world doesn't like it they can stop appropriating our culture of industrial production.

But your posts are a caricature, and not good, so . . .

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Without colonialism we would not have the hit game The Colonists, checkmate.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Megasabin posted:

Antiquity is pretty old at this point, and I know a lot of other games have taken inspiration from it. Does it's gameplay still hold up at this point? Is it worth getting to the table? How long is it compared to Splotter's other games?

Yes, it's still a great game that deserves play. Nothing quite like it out there. As for length, I would say it's not as long as Roads & Boats but not as fast as TGZ.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm trying to run through a tutorial game of ADP with some friends. The tutorial book doesn't state where the patronage marker starts, but looking at the starting number of Coin+Patron (17), and total COIN controlled population (12), the starting patronage should start at 5, right?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm trying to run through a tutorial game of ADP with some friends. The tutorial book doesn't state where the patronage marker starts, but looking at the starting number of Coin+Patron (17), and total COIN controlled population (12), the starting patronage should start at 5, right?

Yeah, starting Patronage is 5 on every scenario.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How is Antiquity on BGC? I just realized it was available for play there with all this talk of it...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So Betrayal at House on the Hill is being reskinned with a dnd theme, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Johnny Truant posted:

How is Antiquity on BGC? I just realized it was available for play there with all this talk of it...

It's a bit ugly/clunky but works just fine.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm going to vent about boardgames real quick. So my sister calls me and says the used bookstore has Dominion base for 20 bucks. I say cool, buy it, it is a good game. I get over there today to play it and I discover that it is a used copy. I didn't even know the store sold used games. I've only bought new games from them. The cards are unsleeved and very well used, and a bunch were water damaged. Not only that, a bunch of cards (like half of the provinces) were just flat out missing. My sister is unfazed by both the quality of the remaining cards and the fact some were missing, and this just made me livid. I mean, how can you not be upset that you pretty much threw away 20 dollars?

Ugh, I've never been so mad at cards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SettingSun posted:

I'm going to vent about boardgames real quick. So my sister calls me and says the used bookstore has Dominion base for 20 bucks. I say cool, buy it, it is a good game. I get over there today to play it and I discover that it is a used copy. I didn't even know the store sold used games. I've only bought new games from them. The cards are unsleeved and very well used, and a bunch were water damaged. Not only that, a bunch of cards (like half of the provinces) were just flat out missing. My sister is unfazed by both the quality of the remaining cards and the fact some were missing, and this just made me livid. I mean, how can you not be upset that you pretty much threw away 20 dollars?

Ugh, I've never been so mad at cards.

Just sleeve the cards and the damage won't matter. Make up the missing provinces with playing cards that have "province" written on them. Problem solved!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If the copper cards are as well used as I imagine, their backs should have nice white spots to write 'PROVINCE' on

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wir Sind Das Volk is pretty drat fun, just finished on BGC. Pretty good interface once you get the hang of the game.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Alternatively, buy and eat a bunch of cereal, and you will have plenty of material to make your own new cards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SlyFrog posted:

Alternatively, buy and eat a bunch of cereal, and you will have plenty of material to make your own new cards.

:cheers:

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
You can also buy a pack of Dominion base cards, which have nicer art for the money and VP cards, to replace your provinces. Bad news is that's another $20.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Selecta84 posted:

I own Ottoman Sunset, Hapsburg Eclipse and the latest version of Dawn of the Zeds. The first two games are, like Tekopo said, fine but not amazing. If you want to have a quick solo game that can be unforgiving and at times a bit infuriating then they are wahr you are looking for.

Dawn of the zeds feels more like a game to me cause of the special characters you use and stuff like that. The others feel a bit more like experience generators.

Although I heard good things about Cruel Necessities.

I think your description of a quick solo game that can be unforgiving and at times a bit infuriating is a very apt description of Cruel Necessity.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Johnny Truant posted:

Wir Sind Das Volk is pretty drat fun, just finished on BGC. Pretty good interface once you get the hang of the game.

It was fun! I liked the different value cards for each side, and the asymmetric component was very cool. It was difficult to me to grok the consequences that our moves would have on the final of decade check, but that will probably come with time.

There are a couple of quirks with the implementation. For example, it seems that you can reset actions after the opponent makes a move with your card, which is pretty bad. Also the game is ugly as sin.

All in all, it seems a very tight design.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Beffer posted:

I think your description of a quick solo game that can be unforgiving and at times a bit infuriating is a very apt description of Cruel Necessity.

Well it is after all a State of Siege game. The good points I read about were theming and more interesting decisions.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I found it funny that I checked BGG this morning and, despite all the usual hyped up garbage that shows up under the hotness, campaign for North Africa proudly stood at the second from the top of that list.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

I found it funny that I checked BGG this morning and, despite all the usual hyped up garbage that shows up under the hotness, campaign for North Africa proudly stood at the second from the top of that list.

Yeah someone on reddit made a thread about the 'Heaviest game ever' and bam.

e: Man Capstone is reprinting: The Climbers, Neue Heimat, Wildcatters, American Rails, Vanuatu, Lignum (2ed), and the Carson City Big Box over the next year or so.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

Good... good.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

T-Bone posted:

e: Man Capstone is reprinting: The Climbers, Neue Heimat, Wildcatters, American Rails, Vanuatu, Lignum (2ed), and the Carson City Big Box over the next year or so.

They can take all of my money. The only one of those I probably won't get is the Climbers which I already own.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Papes posted:

They can take all of my money. The only one of those I probably won't get is the Climbers which I already own.

same but Vanuatu also. I'm not sure if I'll pick up the CC big box or not, but I'll grab Neue Heimat and Wildcatters for sure, and American Rails and Lignum maybe/probably.

The hesitance with CC is I hear it's kind of random and redundant for its genre, but maybe the expansions rectify that?

e: They're also doing the rest of the Spitzer coal trilogy.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 5, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Neue Heimat is really good and allows you to lose friends really fast.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

Yeah I actually bought some materials to PNP it, but I've been too lazy to paint so I'll probably just use them for something else.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Same but Vanuatu

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Game con weekend - spent lots of time as a volunteer GM.

Played shitloads of Captain Sonar with something like 20 different people. Everyone loved it, but I don't even want to look at my copy for a while now.

Did a promo "play to win" section of Biotix, too. It wasn't as bad as I feared, based on the description on BGG and the "let's ripoff munchkin" box art. It's a pretty simple exchange/trading game with a push-your-luck element to the table politics - the whole table has the ability to dogpile and undermine any obvious front runner. I wouldn't refuse to play it, even if I wouldn't want to play it all night, and it might be worth picking up on a sale for under $20, if you want a different light palette cleanser game. The rules aren't perfect, though - we had to agree on a few things.

One game that I would refuse to play again, though, is A Surplus of Popes. This is the worst piece of trash I've ever personally encountered. The game designers managed to get a section of it scheduled for what seemed like literally every slot of the entire three-day con. Gross art, unfunny "lolrandom" themes, and a completely uninteresting game with no decisions and no skill. I'd compare it to War, but War is literally a subgame that the game can trigger. I haven't played Exploding Kittens but I can't imagine that it's any worse. If you took a standard 52-card deck and said "if you play a black card you get the face value in points, and if you play a red card you lose the face value in points, and if you play a face card you flip a coin to see if you gain or lose points, and if you play an ace we play a game of war to see who gets lots of points," you have the game. Whenever I encountered an ambiguity or hole in the rules they said "we encourage people to make house rules." Oh and a significant number of cards do literally nothing.

To get away from these dudes I actually sat down at a table next to where my friend was running whatever new version of Artemis Spaceship Sim and set up a solo game of AFfO to chat while we both played.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

How is Carson City? I read through the rules and it looks good, but I'm afraid all the good reviews are from Kickstarter hype over the Big Box.
I like the idea of an aggressive Worker Placement that plays out in 2 hours or less.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Holy poo poo how did I just find out about this now: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/220520/caverna-cave-vs-cave

Anyone played it yet? Is it the re-implementation of All Creatures Great and Small?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Crackbone posted:

How is Carson City? I read through the rules and it looks good, but I'm afraid all the good reviews are from Kickstarter hype over the Big Box.
I like the idea of an aggressive Worker Placement that plays out in 2 hours or less.

I have played it once, the base game. It's a worker placement game where you can try and use occupied spaces by committing workers + gun tokens to duel the other player's workers off the space. At the same time, you're trying to build a town on a shared map to make the most money from your buildings.

I liked it a lot, but haven't played it again since.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Crackbone posted:

I don't like it at all. A worker placement where you lose your actions from a combination of player dickery plus luck just ends in a bad experience. If you want an aggressive worker placement, choose Caylus or Argent, where the dickery is at least not luck based.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

Holy poo poo how did I just find out about this now: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/220520/caverna-cave-vs-cave

Anyone played it yet? Is it the re-implementation of All Creatures Great and Small?

It's more of a Caverna-lite, but much like ACG&S, it will probably end up being a tighter and better 2 player game than the original. It only has the cave building portion, not the farm area, and much more limited tiles and spaces. I'll have a copy as soon as CSI gets it in stock and will do a report.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FulsomFrank posted:

Kinda maybe? It reminds me of a smaller Fields of Arle with the way the ressources are tracked but I never played Caverna so I don't know how similar they are.

Look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bec9LN2Lc

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

It was fun! I liked the different value cards for each side, and the asymmetric component was very cool. It was difficult to me to grok the consequences that our moves would have on the final of decade check, but that will probably come with time.

There are a couple of quirks with the implementation. For example, it seems that you can reset actions after the opponent makes a move with your card, which is pretty bad. Also the game is ugly as sin.

All in all, it seems a very tight design.

Yeah, the resetting after certain Events is very interesting, probably just an oversight by whoever moved it to be online like that?

I'm still down to play asynchronous games of both FCM and WSDV for whoever's interested. Need to start another FCM game, I got a slight taste of success last game, so I need more now!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Selecta84 posted:

Kinda maybe? It reminds me of a smaller Fields of Arle with the way the ressources are tracked but I never played Caverna so I don't know how similar they are.

Look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bec9LN2Lc

This looks quite interesting. Cavernia without the vestigial remnants of Agricola tacked onto the side.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm still down to play asynchronous games of both FCM and WSDV for whoever's interested. Need to start another FCM game, I got a slight taste of success last game, so I need more now!

We have our second WSDV online yet. Just send me a PM when you want to have a real time one.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Rutibex posted:

This looks quite interesting. Cavernia without the vestigial remnants of Agricola tacked onto the side.

But I'm not sure if I really need it, cause you know Fields of Arle...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Selecta84 posted:

But I'm not sure if I really need it, cause you know Fields of Arle...

I haven't played it but my GF and I attempted to give it a shot one night at a board game cafe and the table footprint on FoA is enormous. We had a four person table to ourselves and we were still having to move things to chairs and push the limits on space.

We ended up running out of time to learn it before some friends showed up but size alone would be enough to make me say yes.

That and I think it's only $30 CDN, which seems really reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I see your points but for me it would just feel redundant to have FoA and Cave vs Cave (plus I have All Creatures Big and Small so it feels even more redundant)

But I would get it if I wouldn't own those other ones.