Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I really hope they put an equally brilliant mini game into cyberpunk 2077.

Gwent was a fantastic little surprise in the Witcher that in other games would have been a lovely little slog. Infact, I would be ecstatic if they just put Gwent into cyberpunk, tbh. Would be a neat wink to the Witcher universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How's the standalone F2P Gwent (not thronebreaker)? It seems like it's not quite the success CDP were hoping for.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

TescoBag posted:

Gwent was a fantastic little surprise in the Witcher that in other games would have been a lovely little slog. Infact, I would be ecstatic if they just put Gwent into cyberpunk, tbh. Would be a neat wink to the Witcher universe.

It's not as amusing as a monster hunter for hire going "That's an interesting contract, but how about some Gwent?", but they do have a lot of options there. They could do something with augmented/virutal reality. Or go low-tech and do dice/cards again.
Or both. Go the FF7 route.

Rinkles posted:

How's the standalone F2P Gwent (not thronebreaker)? It seems like it's not quite the success CDP were hoping for.

It's an online free to play card game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TescoBag posted:

Isn’t NetRunner in the Cyberpunk universe? They should just jam that game in there.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I've got a book question. I finished Blood of Elves and towards the end Ciri is telling Yen about when her parents died. Then she says that Crach an Craite is dead now. But he's in Witcher 3?

Will this be addressed later in the books/games, or is it a continuity error?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I came around to liking Gwent in the end but part of me still misses dice poker if I'm being honest. I think I just like that dice ASMR.

I hope cyberpunk has cyberdice

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Look Sir Droids posted:

I've got a book question. I finished Blood of Elves and towards the end Ciri is telling Yen about when her parents died. Then she says that Crach an Craite is dead now. But he's in Witcher 3?

Will this be addressed later in the books/games, or is it a continuity error?
Ciri thinks he's probably dead, because he didn't take care of her as promised to her grandma, but he's not

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 6, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rinkles posted:

Bad. It makes Gwent more like Magic in key ways (tapping and units damaging each other), so the game becomes simultaneously more complicated but less deep and unique. Plus all the clutter of microtransactions and daily rewards and other dreck that comes with being a free mobile game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I finished up a re-watch of the Netflix show after reading The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. I liked the show the first time, but I was a bit lost and my opinion only improved. The timeline is a bit clunky, narratively speaking, but it evens out halfway through season 1 even if you hadn't read the books. There's also a few weird, unnecessary narrative choices and character alterations. Like the whole Golden Dragon episode had a bunch of changes that didn't even seem like it made it easier to film. And Yennefer's backstory and desire to have a baby seems made up. I'm reading Time of Contempt now, so maybe there will be some more justification for it. But the only thing in LW and SoD is that she was a hunchback. And of course Tisseia isn't even mentioned.

I really hope the show doesn't conflate Tisseia and Phillipa. Phillipa has such great Bad Bitch energy and Tisseia was presented as a school teacher with at least some nurturing instincts. One of my favorite missions in TW3 is Geralt and Phillipa dungeon crawling and Phillipa just busts Geralt's balls the whole time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like the show but the need for it to tell three consecutive storyline really hampers its ability to delve into the more nuanced elements of each of the stories. The Last Wish episode was the best because it spent the least amount of time on Ciri's complete nothing story and was a fairly good adaptation of the short story. But something like The Lesser Evil has all of its subtlety tossed out and Geralt's epiphany comes out of nowhere, since all mentions of the Tidam Ultimatum are excised from the script. So instead of him putting two and two together and rushing off to preemptively stop Renfri's gang, he just wakes up and immediately knows what is going to happen.

The announcement that the seasons going forward will use linear storytelling gives me hope, because that will hopefully give them enough time to properly convey the themes present in the novels. The show has good moment to moment writing, the acting is for the most part pretty great (cahir notwithstanding what the goddamn hell), and it has fun action scenes and music. It has everything it needs to be a wonderful show, but they just need to figure out how to manage their runtime.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 10, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ciri is clearly in season 1 just so she doesn’t come out of nowhere as a child of destiny in season 2. They could have done it more elegantly but they also couldn’t bank on getting a season 2.

And they won’t need to do three separate storylines anymore since the three mains are about to all be acquainted.

And yeah, leaving the Ultimatum out of Lesser Evil is one of those narrative choices I didn’t get. It wouldn’t have taken more screen time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I came around to liking Gwent in the end but part of me still misses dice poker if I'm being honest. I think I just like that dice ASMR.

I hope cyberpunk has cyberdice

im bad at quick math so i never enjoyed dice poker. but gwent is fun, and stupid. i'm playing on easy though, sometimes i'll step it up to normal because the peasants' decks are starting to get dwarfed but there's no way i'm gonna play fair against mother loving dijkstra's mysterious elf spy deck with the cards i have now lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really like the show but the need for it to tell three consecutive storyline really hampers its ability to delve into the more nuanced elements of each of the stories. The Last Wish episode was the best because it spent the least amount of time on Ciri's complete nothing story and was a fairly good adaptation of the short story. But something like The Lesser Evil has all of its subtlety tossed out and Geralt's epiphany comes out of nowhere, since all mentions of the Tidam Ultimatum are excised from the script. So instead of him putting two and two together and rushing off to preemptively stop Renfri's gang, he just wakes up and immediately knows what is going to happen.

The announcement that the seasons going forward will use linear storytelling gives me hope, because that will hopefully give them enough time to properly convey the themes present in the novels. The show has good moment to moment writing, the acting is for the most part pretty great (cahir notwithstanding what the goddamn hell), and it has fun action scenes and music. It has everything it needs to be a wonderful show, but they just need to figure out how to manage their runtime.

I think its a damned if you do, damned if don't scenario. Telling everything purely chronologically would feel weird too. In the end they at least made a choice and stuck with it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wish they hadnt done the ciri and brokilon story so dirty

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just wish they hadn't used the same techniques to draw trees as they used in Abe's Exodus. Why were they so blurred? It looked loving terrible.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I’m still debating whether I want to watch the series or not. I’m quite content with the image of the books I have in my mind, and by all accounts, the series wasn’t really a slam dunk either.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I mean it's not like it's bad, and it's more witcher.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The show is fun, first ep is kinda meh but most of the rest range from really good to decent and it's better than a lot of other shows. Don't expect a masterpiece and you'll enjoy it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Smol posted:

I’m still debating whether I want to watch the series or not. I’m quite content with the image of the books I have in my mind, and by all accounts, the series wasn’t really a slam dunk either.

check it out, geralt and dandelion have great chemistry and are worth the price of admission

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Episodes 3-8 are really good. Episode 1 is just a not as good as it could have been adaptation of Lesser Evil. Episode 2 and part of 3 are Yennefer's hamfisted backstory. Once you get past those clunky bits, the series flows a lot better. Which makes me hopeful for Season 2 and going forward. Plus they've had COVID lockdown delays, so Season 2 shouldn't be at all rushed from a scripting standpoint.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I don't like how they're going with "Nilfgaard are Sun cult religious fanatics" but otherwise the show is decent, I'd give it like a B/B+

Definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed W3, just like how W1 and W2 are highly recommended.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the good news is that the costume designer was replaced for season 2 so maybe Nilfgaard will have a replacement motivation to go along with the replacement for their ballsack armor.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I really like the cast of The Witcher, they definitely had fun with it, and the world at large was introduced to Joey Batey. He's great!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I hope they replace Cahir as an antagonist bc his actor is eh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope they drop cahir's antagonist angle entirely. Hes way more fun as a lovesick moron than as edgelord Supreme

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

isk posted:

I really like the cast of The Witcher, they definitely had fun with it, and the world at large was introduced to Joey Batey. He's great!

i thought ciri was pretty weak, but the material she was given was pretty weak as well. nonetheless, i was hoping for this vibe and didnt really get it:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think The Witcher is really loving good, and it requires you to each the whole season before you can truly see how everything ties together and where it’s going. Additionally, and despite some book changes I’m not fond of, it manages to (imo) stick the landing on the last episode.

Also Yen is loving awesome and the scene where Geralt tells her, to her face, that she’d be a terrible parent is priceless alone.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

It's alright if you have the time to dedicate a few solid hours / week at it but it's certainly not the same kind of tactics as what we have in W3 (weather is barely played for the most part, for example). There's a few cards that playing Thronebreaker will give you but nothing that's mandatory. In fact, I wound up with duplicates of them quickly as a newbie in Gwent. People have poopsocked their way to pro rank within a couple months of starting paying barely anything, but for pretty casual players with barely enough time to play Candycrush on the toilet it's not viable to materially advance without dumping in a bit of cash.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been playing W3 blindly for the most part (a few times I looked up online where to find a certain piece of Witcher gear, or alchemy ingredient), and I'm curious as to how far I am along the main storyline.

(Spoilered for anyone else who may be in my boat) I have just finished the quest where Geralt goes to the Isle of Mists and finds Ciri. I've brought her back to the Witcher castle, in preparation for the attack from the Wild Hunt.

Just wondering as to how much more story I have to go, because this part feels like it's leading up to Epic Final Battle.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've been playing W3 blindly for the most part (a few times I looked up online where to find a certain piece of Witcher gear, or alchemy ingredient), and I'm curious as to how far I am along the main storyline.

(Spoilered for anyone else who may be in my boat) I have just finished the quest where Geralt goes to the Isle of Mists and finds Ciri. I've brought her back to the Witcher castle, in preparation for the attack from the Wild Hunt.

Just wondering as to how much more story I have to go, because this part feels like it's leading up to Epic Final Battle.

2/3s of the way, more or less.

Much less, if you have both expansions installed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

youre just about at the end of the second act of the main story, but its impossible to estimate time-wise because of sidequests and dlc. incidentally, youre at the perfect point to read all of the books

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The Zombie Guy posted:

If you rush the last bits of the main story, you could wrap it up in 2-4 hours. Or you could do what I did and still have 20 hrs of game before finishing the main quest.

The main quest was good about it feeling right to let it marinate for a while so you could do sidequests. So that's what I did. After Kaer Morhen is when I did the Gwent tournament sidequest, rounded out my Witcher gear, and any other meaty sidequests. I didn't even finish all the contracts until after beating both DLCs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

You are at the 2/3 point of the main story, however depending on how completionist you have been, it can be a large variance in the amount of stuff left to do. you can power through in like 4-6 hours if you do nothing but main story. One thing to remember is witcher contracts and a lot of sidequests are just as fun later, and hell, even fit with the actual life of a very competent witcher doing contracts on monsters that are not really a giant threat to him. In my current playthough, im saving them all for later unless i really need a sword, which is basically never. And them im going to come back through later with my dope armor and swords and utterly annihilate lvl 10 monsters.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You are at the 2/3 point of the main story, however depending on how completionist you have been, it can be a large variance in the amount of stuff left to do. you can power through in like 4-6 hours if you do nothing but main story. One thing to remember is witcher contracts and a lot of sidequests are just as fun later, and hell, even fit with the actual life of a very competent witcher doing contracts on monsters that are not really a giant threat to him. In my current playthough, im saving them all for later unless i really need a sword, which is basically never. And them im going to come back through later with my dope armor and swords and utterly annihilate lvl 10 monsters.

Yeah you're not far from the end of the main quest, but you could easily have 30 hours of side quests remaining depending on how completionist you are. Don't worry, you won't be locked out of most side quests, once you finish the main plot it'll just spit you back out into the world and you can finish side stuff and do the excellent DLCs. The only quests that are locked will be those involving the side characters you gather for Kaer Morhen and you're past that point already.

I would suggest ignoring the level ranges for side stuff. Even if it's grayed out, do it if it seems interesting. The XP/gold/item rewards from quests are almost always tiny, the real payoffs are the cool stories.

The DLCs are fantastic, I would argue they're as good as the best parts of the base game and better in many respects.

All told you're probably about half the way done with the base game + DLC content. The whole thing is probably 120-150+ hours of content depending on how thorough you are with side quests.

Game real big.

edit:

in my experience it's something like
base game = 75-100 hours
Hearts of Stone = 15-20 hours
Blood and Wine = 25-30+ hours

those are for a fairly completionist playthrough doing most/all of the significant sidequests. Add a few more hours if you do all the minor treasure quests and smuggler caches.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 13, 2020

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've made a few attempts to get into Witcher 3, but the game never clicked for me. It wasn't anything wrong with the game, just...I didn't feel like continuing after putting the game down for the day.

The last time I quit, it was on a side-quest to exorcise this spirit. It was all going well until the game told me I had to find some plant to fight it, but I had no idea where to get it. After spending a lot of time wandering around looking for it, I just turned off the game

I want to give the game another go, this time on the Switch. Is there some general advise for first time playthroughs? As I said, there's no one thing I found bad or frustrating, but I didn't find anything to hook me either.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

SirPhoebos posted:

I've made a few attempts to get into Witcher 3, but the game never clicked for me. It wasn't anything wrong with the game, just...I didn't feel like continuing after putting the game down for the day.

The last time I quit, it was on a side-quest to exorcise this spirit. It was all going well until the game told me I had to find some plant to fight it, but I had no idea where to get it. After spending a lot of time wandering around looking for it, I just turned off the game

I want to give the game another go, this time on the Switch. Is there some general advise for first time playthroughs? As I said, there's no one thing I found bad or frustrating, but I didn't find anything to hook me either.

Was the spirit in White Orchard just a few hours in? If so, White Orchard is the tutorial zone and it's pretty standard fantasy RPG material (though solid).

I would say stick with it and play through early Velen (~10-15 hours gameplay). The massive overworld opens up if you like exploring and doing cool sidequests in shithole miserable villages. Plus the main Velen quest chain (Bloody Baron) is really really gripping.

The most basic advice I would give is focus on the characters and storytelling. They're the real strength of this game. Don't obsess over gear or leveling or combat. Gear doesn't matter, wear what looks cool. You'll get the hang of combat and it won't be too challenging for the most part. Embrace the role-playing part of the RPG and don't invest much effort in the gameplay mechanics or min-maxing your gear and spec or whatever.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

SirPhoebos posted:

I've made a few attempts to get into Witcher 3, but the game never clicked for me.

I was in your shoes and the advice to push on with the main Velen quests (Keira Metz and the Bloody Baron) is good. After those there were parts when I felt interest waning again, but if you push on with the main quest it always gets better. Don't bore yourself with sidequests or contracts, there's plenty of time to do those later if you find you want to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fritz the Horse posted:

I would say stick with it and play through early Velen (~10-15 hours gameplay). The massive overworld opens up if you like exploring and doing cool sidequests in shithole miserable villages. Plus the main Velen quest chain (Bloody Baron) is really really gripping.

i felt like bloody baron was good but it had One Piece syndrome where you did a lot of fetch questy poo poo even though you really wanted the story to keep going, because it is really gripping :v:

even when i was just blowing through it overleveled in gryphon gear it felt like it kind of took a while.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

my suggestion is to read all of the books so you have an investment in the story and characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just hate going in and out of Crow's Nest dozens of times.